Weekly Cook-Along

You get two this week because I've been slacking off.

This one is a take on French onion soup, with the addition of beer in the broth. Good meal, few ingredients, but kinda time intensive.

Other urls found in this thread:

stylevsspace.wordpress.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Ingredients
2 1/2 lb onions (about 7)
4 table spoon butter
1 table spoon white balsamic vinegar
3 french shallots
2 garlic cloves
1 bottle of dark beer
1 liter of beef broth
1/2 tea spoon dried thyme
1-2 bay leaf
baguette, cut into croutons
cheese, to taste
salt and pepper

1. Peel and half all your onions.

2. Melt the butter in a large soup pot. Thinly slice the onions and throw into the pot. Stir to coat with the butter and add a generous pinch of salt.

3. Cook on medium low-heat for as long as they need to start getting some golden color. If it starts looking dry, add a bit of water and scrape the sugars from the bottom of the pot to recoat the onions.

4. When they are near the color your want (this was after a bit more than 1 hour) add the white balsamic vinegar.

5. Keep an eye on them, the extra sugar will finish caramelizing the onions very fast.

6. Add the diced shallots and the minced garlic. Cook until the garlic is fragrant.

7. Pour in the beer and make sure to scrape up all the sugary fond at the bottom of the pot.

fuckoff Niniel

8. Add the beef broth. Simmer for 25 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning.

I used homemade broth so I didn't thicken the soup because I knew the broth had some body. If you're using canned broth you might want to add a tbs of flour on step 6 to thicken the soup.

Congratulations on figuring out the reverse image search function of google.

9. When the soup is nearly ready slice the bread into croutons.

stylevsspace.wordpress.com/

there, now anyone can go and read the shit that you're about to repost

you know you don't get karma for posts here, right? i'd suggest a site called "reddit", it seems to be more suited to you

10. Put in the oven under the broiler to toast.

11. Ladle the soup into heat resistant bowl. Add toasted croutons and cover with cheese, to taste.

I only had crappy pre-grated italian cheese mix. Please do yourself a favor and use a proper gruyere or emmental cheese.

Recipe was requested in the FML thread. I usually post 1 thread/week for OC here. Have for years. Not everything ends up here that ends up on the wordpress (which is more my recipe card index then anything) and vice-versa. And I never link it directly.

Does the OC bother you?

12. Put in oven under broiler until cheese is melted and started to turn golden. Serve immediately.

>OC
i don't think you understand this concept, buddy

Damn dude. You sound absolutely booty blasted.

Original content to the board. As i, not a thread that has been posted 3 times this week already.

Made the soup yesterday.
Posted the result as I was editing the images

Is there a recipe index on your site? I'd like to look through but I don't want to sit and scroll pages for hours.

No index, sorry. As I said I use it mostly as a recipe box, for reference later. Best you'll get is the tags (all ingredients are tagged) and the categories on top.

>Original content to the board
LOL
so if i go to the front page of reddit, find some food, and post it here, it's a useful contribution because it's 'original to this board'?

you're just a dumb woman who's blog doesn't get enough clicks so you repost shit here for attention

The blog I never link to? Yes, yes, because that's a killer marketing strategy.

Maybe consider adding one? If you look back for reference it might be easier as well. Just a suggestion.

I'll have a look at some tag searches. Anything you particularly are happy with the results of, that stand out to you?

The coq au porc is pretty good and different if you want to try something new.

The lamb stew get requested frequently if I'm having family over.

Otherwise nothing stands out on the savory side. It's my day to day cooking so...

how was it

I was curious about how french onion soup is made but now I'm not even going to bother. looks like a pain in the ass for something so tiny.