Did you know people actually eat these hairy little dudes? Apparently their meat is high in protein...

Did you know people actually eat these hairy little dudes? Apparently their meat is high in protein, delicious and considered a delicacy by some, at least in my country.

How is eating guinea pig meat perceived in your country?

Have you tried it?

Would you be willing to try if you had the chance?

It's normally served fried, like this

Yeah, I've heard that they are a thing in South American cuisine.

I've never had one but I'd like to try it.

There was one joint selling cuy in my area, then people got pissy about it, so they switched to rabbit, then people got pissy about /that/ so they now sell Italian food instead of Ecuadorean because the owner is an Ecuadorean lady of Italian descent.

I never got to try guinea pig when they still had it, sadly, but I had the rabbit and thought it was really rather nice.

Her daughter in law opened a burger joint that made the best burgers ever, though, but because it was basically in an alley way with no foot traffic and she never advertised the joint, they went under PDQ.

So that tells you what my area thinkgs of eating guinea pig: they get very, very upset about it.

USA here. Most people are put off by the thought of eating rodent at all. They're seen as a pet here, so that compounds it. People think it's gross and weird.

Personally, I'd try it out. Are you a fan? Also, assuming you're from Peru, yeah?

I went to Peru and couldn't find a single restaurant that served guinea pig, shit was disappointing. All I found was alpaca meat. It wasn't anything special.
Why must they leave the head on? Just to gross tourists out?

Isn't it more Ecuadorian than Peruvian?

>Why must they leave the head on?

I have no idea (I'm not Peruvian), but could it be that parts of the head taste good? I've had redneck friends who say that squirrel brains are tasty. And I know that there is really tasty meat on a fish head; the cheek is my favorite part.

I don't see the problem, it's just fish

You're thinking capybara. The Vatican declared it to be fish.

OP here, yeah I'm Peruvian. Personally, I've never tried it, I'm put off by it too. I'm considering to start an export business in the future since I have the land to breed and grow the little fur balls, that's why I'm asking.

You can serve it like pic related too. More pleasing to the eye.

I couldn't remember which, just that the guy described it like a fish to get around "no meat on friday" rules

Capybara is just a really really big Guinea pigs anyway

I find it very hard to eat any animal whose species I had as a pet. I still can't bring myself to eat rabbit as a result

>but if you're serving fish meat you don't leave the head.

Maybe if you're dealing with squeamish guests but I'd much prefer to be served the whole fish.

>>'m fairly sure the only reason to leave the guinea pig's head is for the EWW
What are you, nine years old? Adults don't do that.

I admit I don't know a damn thing about South American culture, but I do know that in many other countries it's considered appropriate to serve animals in as close to their whole form as possible.

I once eat a rabbit dish that turned out to be made with cat meat. It was very tasty.

>big guinea pigs
I guess. Except for the fact that they swim and will only shit or piss in water. Because they relieve themselves in water and actually taste of fish, two priests whose names I can't recall now, contacted the Sorbonne's religious school and the Vatican separately to ask for a theological study on declaring it fish (Sorbonne) and a papal bull declaring it as fish (Vatican).
The Catholics of early Canada got beavers declared fish, too.

Usually the head is left on so that the meat/critter can be identified by the person that's buying it. It's a way that People know what they are buying. If it was a rat it might not have the head but it would have the tail. It's just an identifying feature.

I'm South American (Chilean) and this isn't true. Even for dishes consisting on whole animals roasted such as lamb or pork, the head is often removed beforehand. And yes, adults DO do that. Especially with rodents.

I deleted my previous post because I realized my mistake regarding fish, btw.

US here, pretty sure there's a stigma against it since they are perceived as pets. I think as far as rodent-like pets rabbit is as far as most people will go when it comes to eating.

>Look up Craigslist for people giving away their guinea pigs
>acquire pigs
>???
>infinite free meat supply

I've kept a few guinea pigs as pets before (they rock), but I'd still be open to trying it if I ever visit South America. I've had rabbit and enjoyed it.

I wouldn't eat it if it was recognizable, though, like . Too weird for me.

I was on friendly terms with the owner of a Peruvian restaurant in Jacksonville who knew how to cook cuy.
Apparently, its sale is outlawed in a lot of places in the US, but he offered to have me over the next time he prepared some.
I moved to NY before then, though.
It wasn't a total loss, though: At least we exchanged a number of recipes, and I have a lead on ayahuasca, should I ever visit Peru.

I own 5 guinnea pigs and this made me sad even tho i already knew it

What are their names?

Chinchillas are a Peruvian animal...are they eaten as well? They don't seem to have much meat on them

I think they're mostly harvested for their coats. Who knows what they do with the rest of the carcass.

Britchap here:

I would certainly like to try it but it would never be excepted here as a mainstream meat, some people get squeamish about horse and rabbit!

If it was eaten at all, it would remain in South American restaurants in major cities. There are Peruvian Restaurants in London that serve it.

I have no idea if they are bred locally or sent over as frozen carcasses.

Although your pic makes it look unappetising . . .a couple of sauté potatoes and some broad beans . . .No sauce?

>excepted
*Accepted

Is not cooked enough. It should be burnt on the outside

American expatriate in peru here. I've eaten cuy(Guinea pig) dozens of times. The meat is a bit oily, but the taste is very distinctive. Personally, I love the taste.

It's very popular with farmers, since cuy survive on corn husks and native plants

I ate it in Ecuador. I liked it but it was way overpriced in my opinion: like 20 dollaridoos in a country that has 3 dollar lunches. In the United States an Ecuadorian got arrested for cooking it in Central Park and most people will think you're a monster because they're hypocrites.

*Pan flute music intensifies*

I've had chinchillas as pets before. They look rather large due to their very thick fur, but their body is not very large at all. The kind of chinchilla raised for fur (or pets) weighs half what a guinea pig does, and a lot of that is their fur. I can't imagine there would be much to eat on one.

I like rabbit meat and hunt 'em even though I've had them as pets when I was but a wee lad, so I don't think guinea pig's too big a jump from that.

I'd try it. What do you season them with? I'd think something bright and acidic to help cut through the grease.

Aren't you not supposed to eat most animal brains?