Britfag. So I'm heading to NY in 2 days and I'm planning on spending the 4 days there on a food tour...

Britfag. So I'm heading to NY in 2 days and I'm planning on spending the 4 days there on a food tour, and I'd like some recommendations.

Fast food, fine dining, street eats, whatever, give me a taste of the USA.

It's hard to avoid touristy bullshit in a place like that but anywhere locals eat also, I wanna be there.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=r-IaoC5iQiQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Touristy doesn't mean bad, as your pic will prove. Then again it doesn't mean good, as proven by the midtown halal memecart.

"What locals eat" is very broad. Presumably you have an idea of what "the real NYC" is. I can probably help you find that, if you explain what's in your fantasy vision.

Oversized deli sandwiches, classic NY thin crust pizzas, gourmet dogs, places in Koreatown (big fan of ramen, kimchi) seafood...

I have a general stereotypical image on what to expect but I'm just after some sweet spots i guess.

As a Britfag who has spent a few days in NY (on a shopping trip) you will lucky if you get any replies here.

American food (although cheap and plentiful ) is awful and I reckon most Americans know this and out of embarrassment they will not give you any pointers.

Just soak it up user . .. .American food is pants.

Splendid, not exactly what I wanted to hear.

Make a rservation for Rao's. Good food. 455 E 114th St, New York, NY 10029

Pretty steep prices but the place looks authentic, might give it a go, thanks

Katz's is touristy bullshit, but at least the food is good.The same is true of Lombardi's, which you will have to hit for a coal oven pie. And you'll want to do a burger at Shake Shack, and maybe another at Joe Jr. And hot dogs at Papaya King (one with Sauerkraut and mustard the other with Greek onions). A bagel with lox and a schmear at Russ and Daughters Cafe, maybe followed with a tour of the Tenement Museum. Ramen at Momofuku or Ippudo. And whatever famous chef restaurants you have on your list.

also, obligatory:
youtube.com/watch?v=r-IaoC5iQiQ

If you're feeling ambitious you can go to queens for Greek, Indian or Chinese food

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Awesome.

Get Mexican food at Downtown Bakery.

You won't find any culinary delights in NY mate, I discovered that - but it's a great place to soak up the atmosphere of America, It's kind of like central London but on steroids and I mean that in a good way.

You do get more food your money and I can't deny that that was the best bit.

Try things out for comparison . . .try and get a decent cup of tea or fish and chips . . .. just for fun!

When it comes to Chinese, Indian, Turkish or even Italian they are so far removed, it makes you want to weep

But When it comes to Burgers they wipe the floor with anything we have in Britain, seriously!

Never use America as a culinary experience . . . .they don't cut the mustard but enjoy the ambience, it's a different world!

Deli: you're good
Pizza: John's of Bleeker (whole pie only), Patsy's E. Harlem, DiFara (long trip warning)
Hot dogs: lol can't help you there
Seafood: oyster bar at gct for gritty old school, marea or le bernardin for nice
KTown: lunchtime, try the food court, the food could be better but it's "real locals". Late, try pocha32, the food is skeezy but the atmosphere is great and everyone is drunk. Dinner, try hanjan, it's more of an upscale small plates joint, you should drink hard and get the prix fixe (dress nice)

(you)

Don't listen to that other brit fag. Go to chinatown and find a hole in the wall pho place. Lower east side, go to Veselka for the best varenyky anywhere.

>German Deli
So they serve kebabs right?

only one of the best pastrami sandwiches to have ever existed. Are you not into food or something and have no clue what the place is? It's been featured just about every where. They even ship their meat all over the world and they do that because people want it so take your stupid shit some where else.

Silly user, Germany is a Islamic country.
That restaurant wouldn't serve anything that's not halal for that authentic German cuisine.

>I have spent too much time on /pol/
>I don't realise that my own united states are 48% hispanic/black
> walk away - get shot!

Thanks guys. Making a list, I'mm be able to visit most of these places. Bite and go.

>be Brit
>get arrested under discrimination laws for saying something someome didn't like over social media

Of course I've heard of Katz, user.
It's impossible not to have.

>Don't listen to that other brit fag
I am the other Britfag and let me tell you this.

Us Brits are open to try different stuff and the more you tell us not to do something, the more likely we are to try it.

The current meme on Veeky Forums of promoting Vietnamese 'PHO' . . .is having the opposite effect . . .. it's a watery stock with bits of meat and veg dropped into it, let's not beat around the bush about this!

>be[hide my identity] because my country has equally stupid laws.

Why do you post ... like a ... 'SCHIZOPHRENIC'?
Genuinely retarded . . . or only pretending!
Have a ... YOU!

Great contribution .. .enjoy your sketti.

yelp, foursquare, eater, time out ny, foodbeast, munchies, firstwefeast, bon appetit, thrillist

all of these are curated on this site called google.com

all of these are a lot more thought out than the spew you'll get from paint-chip-eating mongloids on a congolese button-trading site. that fucktard further up the thread is prime example #1 of this.

>actually recommending yelp

i trust yelp about a thousand times more than i trust the """"people"""" on Veeky Forums

If you dislike Veeky Forums so much why are you still here? And I'll trust user over some middle aged single mom on yelp any day

just eat any where

it will be better than anything you can eat in UK

I have seen Yelp reviews of places I have been to.
They are as pretentious as fuck, some of them life on another planet.

Use it as a guide if you must . . .but bigger fool you - if you think it's some sort of Bible!

life or live? life or live? The million dollar question! life or live?!

Uk fag here, some of the places I enjoyed (I'll probably get blasted by locals for my shit taste but whatever):
Mighty Quinns bbq
NY pizza suprema
Shake Shack
Big daddys diner (for breakfast)
Random chinatown restaurant (can't remember the name, but they all looked very similar, food was incredibly cheap and delicious, massive portions too).

I didn't go anywhere super fancy. I also ate a lot from food carts. I did get a mcdonalds breakfast once, but only because they do mcgriddles over there which you can't get in the uk.

>it will be better than anything you can eat in UK
My name is Ivan but I have never been to UK.

Uk is bad - I see on website Veeky Forums. - America is best, Levi jeans, coca cola and macdonalds are best in world.

lol. gl with that. friendly reminder that people who like jack are anons on here. have fun trusting shitheads like that over an aggregate review of multiple people, including some of the numerous other websites i listed including those that are paid to write about food for a living.

>DiFara
This. So much this. Worth the trip out to Midwood.

You should try to find a good greasy burger joint while your here.

>You won't find any culinary delights in NY

why are you even trying to bait this hard? you can't just be an anonymous poster without being le trolle xD ?

Do they have a Ruth Chris Steak house in NY?

>pho
>nyc
No, especially not if it's some random choice.

I don't know why people manage to split hairs over goddamm fast food joints, but when it comes to anything remotely ethnic "lol just pick a spot at random the dirtier the better LMAO minorities!"

Probably, but why?

Longtime New Yorker here --

-- Xi'an's Famous (multiple locations in Manhattan, Brooklyn) does superb northern Chinese noodles

-- Roberta's (pizza) in Bushwick, so long as you can withstand the probably hour-plus wait, hipsters, and French tourists

-- Absolute Bagel in the Upper West Side does the quintessential New York bagel-and-lox thing

Pho Grand is good.

What I learned going to these massive cities in the states, is that everyone has their own opinions. They'll tell you to go to X's shitty white trash Diner that's 2 train lines and a bus ride away, but it's "worth the trip". They neglect to mention that it's where they grew up or next to the conference centre they spent their entire trip at. In LA a barista tried to convince me to travel 45 minutes by bus into what even I knew was a sketchy part of town to try "the best burgers in America(TM)".

Fine dining is a little different, but if you want to avoid touristy bullshit just do some exploring of your own. Like some other user said there's plenty of review websites to help you avoid crap.

Fellow Brit here.

Most memorable meals were at Nobu's (I was 15 at the time and hadn't had much sushi at all but I suppose you can get that in the UK as well).

And Fiorello's (pic related). This one was quite expensive but it was also my favourite! The atmosphere was amazing and we combined it with a show at the Lincoln centre (which is the done thing as I'm told) and it was excellent.

Also had Pasta Alfredo at Alfredo's but I think that's shut now and had my first Bison burger ever Ted's Montana Grill, which like the other Britfag said is quite good compared to your average Brit burger.

Best pizza in NY here man. Little family joint

DO NOT GO TO KATZ DELI. There is absolutely nothing remotely special about their shitty $20 corned beef sandwiches. You can get the same (with more generous portions) at any other diner / deli. Katz deli is not only a tourist trap but a literal trap in that they have about fifty black bouncers (why would a deli need so many bouncers?) who try to shake you down and claim you didn't pay because of their retarded ticket ordering system. I'm not fucking joking when I say I've seen them detain a dozen people who all paid for their food and tried to intimidate them into paying again. Absolutely no reason to go to this absurd shit hole of a restaurant when about 10,000 other normal delis exist in NYC. Fuck anyone who says otherwise.

Do not get a cup of tea, it'll be fucking aids. If you want good tea go to the south that's where the good ol sweet tea was born and raised.

Go to Jackson Heights, Queens, lots of good Mexican, South American, and Indian food

>it's a great place to soak up the atmosphere of America
No. The atmosphere of NY is far, far removed from anywhere else in the US. I think part of the reason most foreigners hate us is because they went to NY once and think the entire country is like that.

>hurr flyover
No I don't live in manhattan, since that's all that word means on Veeky Forums

Every city has a different vibe to it so I don't get your point. Even the boroughs of NYC are a lot different from each other. Even the neighborhoods within the boroughs.

As a lifelong resident I can honestly say I fucking hate it here sometimes. But I can't say no to all the money I'm making.

>The atmosphere of NY is far, far removed from anywhere else in the US.
This is actually why foreigners like NY

OP if you're into drinking you should check out the nightlife, bars in NYC are open til 4AM and the scene is very lively on a Friday or Saturday night

As a foreigner who's been there, I can confirm this

ITT: uppity burgers disliking their meme-derived worldview challenged

Been living in the USA for almost 4 years now. Their definition of "good" food is "indulgent" food. Prepare for the majority of dishes to have salt or fat as the focal point. Expect everything to have cheese on it, even if it makes no sense. Expect the quality of the individual ingredients to be poor but "compensated for" (el oh fucking el) by portions being bigger than you can comfortably eat in a sitting.

It's dogshit, op. You can find good places to eat but they are special occasion places and you will shell out a fuckton more than you would elsewhere because the americans treat anything cooked with care or using decent ingredients with reverence, like it's super hard or something.

Just come, enjoy it for what it is, don't expect much or fall for their autofellating myths and go home happy. It's fine. America is about bang for your buck, not the best you can do. It is what it is.

Stop being such an arrogant bastard, it sounds like you only went to meme restaurants

Restaurant Nippon
2nd Ave Deli
Momofuka Milk Bar
St. Anselm's Steak House get the tea brined whole roast chicken
Cafe Mogador
Bonchon

The guy said he went to NY and thought it was a good representation of the country as a whole. My point is that NY isn't like anywhere else in the US, which for better or worse we can all agree on. It's a big country, I just get a bit irked at the "america begins and ends with NY" meme

NY is the ultimate food meme destination

even Austin Texas has a better food scene than NY at this point

Is Shake Shack different in NYC? I remember waiting in line back in 2011 for this amazing burger. But I've tried it in the DC airport and at their location in Chicago and it was a through and through mediocre burger, not even as good as 5 guys.

This isn't remotely true in NYC and really only sort of applies to southern cooking and the meals in flyover land/Chicago

Ha ha, it is! But I wouldn't send tourists there.
>Cafe Mogador
Classic, but not something a tourist would find amazing.
>Is Shake Shack different in NYC?
LaFrieda beef makes a difference.

>travel to America
>go to the worst city in the country

why they do this?

New York, not Los Angeles

What makes it "the worst city in the country"?

inb4 /pol/ memes

>i've been living in USA for 4 years now so I know better than people who have lived here their entire lives

simply ebin

LA has better food than NY thats for sure

If you're gay, I suppose

Absolute Bagel was alright; I live nearby and tried their stuff. Overpriced and not as good as the stuff I've had at jew parties

Also OP if you're going into Queens, look for a place called Warique. It's Peruvian and god damn is it good

This guy sounds miserable, but I agree that you should just enjoy the trip for what it is man. Even of you try a place and hate it, it'll make a good story.

>I've been living in Chicago for 4 years and I genuinely believe Chicagoans when they say "we're totally like new york"
sorry you picked flyover country

The only people who lose their tickets after reading the 40 huge ass signs that say DON'T LOSE YOUR TICKET are women, women who think crying will get them out of paying $50 (or whatever they charge these days for lost tickets). Without fail, every time I have gone with someone and they lost a ticket, it was a woman. Without fail, every time I'm there someone else is at the counter making a big emotional scene, it's a woman, and it's about a lost ticket.

Next time ask your male companion to safeguard it for you, you dumb cunt

there was a nice chinese place in chinatown, but can't for the life of me remember the name of it. i was there like 3 years ago. don't try the pizza in NYC though, it's mediocre at best and costs a shitload.
the good news is that you can't starve there, every portion is twice what you would need. you could literally have an appetizer and eat it as a maincourse.

OP here. Thanks for all of your replies.

What about steakhouses? Peter Luger's seems plastered everywhere but are there any good alternatives?

Best breakfast you'll ever have in NY: NORMA'S @ Le Parker Meridien Hotel and Clinton Street Baking Co. & Restaurant

I've had Norma's "fancy" breakfast, it's a ripoff, pls don't do this. I'm fine paying for good food but that place is just expensive for the sake of expensive

You want a nice breakfast go to Balthazar

Norma's egg's benedict is god-tier. Huge portion too.

Homestead, quality meats, Wolfgang's. There's no shortage of good steak here. No need to go to Brooklyn unless you need to say you've been.

Thanks, will give it a go for sure.

Whats with you guys pre-cutting steaks before you serve them anyway? I like to be given a manly steak knife and butcher it myelf

I don't remember what I had, I think it was $25 waffles. I just remember being pissed that the coffee cost like $10 and tasted like fucking Starbucks ground two months ago.

Did I mention anything about losing a ticket you mentally challenged motherfucker? I said they try to claim people didn't pay when they have their fucking tickets. Either way, is this normal and acceptable behavior for a restaurant? $50 lost ticket fees? What the fuck is that? also the fact that your post implies you've been to Katz deli multiple times means you're an undeniable retard. Pick the shitty corned beef out of your brain stem, bitch

"the pizza" in nyc. Jesus Christ. Why would you come here for advice OP?

>I just remember being pissed that the coffee cost like $10 and tasted like fucking Starbucks ground two months ago.

Really? You were unlucky. Give it another try. Serious.

Have you actually been to Katz's? Because this post, and that shit about black bouncers, makes me think you hallucinated the whole thing.

Op, ignore the tard. The deal at Katz's is they give you a ticket when you enter, whatever you order goes on that ticket and you pay at once when you leave. This is too complicated for some people (usually women), hence why sob stories are common. Apparently they're so common now that they even get retold by people who have never been within 200 miles of the coast.

Nah I'm good. I also found the atmosphere to be bright, cold, and harsh. That kind of shit works for me after I've been awake for a bit, but not first thing in the morning.

I can't speak much to New York but if you ever come to Wisconsin...

> Fly into Milwaukee; spend what is left of your day and/or some of the next day touring bars from the "Burger Belt" ( think of the South's "Bible Belt" but confined to just one city and focused on burgers ). You can ask locals for recommendations ( best way to find the hidden gems ) but I'm going to recommend one of your stops be at Sobelman's for one of pic related. AJ Bombers is another place I'll recommend.

Head north and try out food from Curly's. Continue going north to Door County and you'll find it hard to go wrong with picking a spot to eat for the night. You should be able to tour some wineries or cranberry fields while you are there.

From here make your way to Kenosha, Wi. One stop I'd recommend on your way to Franks Diner is the cheese plant in Rudolph, Wi. They have a second story window where you can see a little bit of the inside of the plant and they get cheese shipped to them ( as well as the cheese they make themselves ) that is so fresh it still drips with whey. Whenever I'm going up that way I always time it so I'm there a little after they open ( about 9:00 A.M. ). Form Kenosha go south to Pete's Hamburgers and begin making your way back to Milwaukee through the Dells; which is touristy but offers a large variety of food and activity from nature tours to water parks.

>cold, and harsh

Really? Each their own i guess.

Forgot to mention one thing: Be sure to try some of the New Glarus beers while you are here! The brewery got screwed over by a bad contract that causes them to lose profits ( essentially they have to pay what they would make and then some ) when they try to sell beer outside of Wisconsin but their product is great. A trip into New Glarus to tour the brewery might be worth an extra day.

Go to burger and lobster at 19th Street between 5th and 6th avenue

Are you serious or is this a subtle joke about WIDF?

Not sure what the WIDF so I'm going to have to pick option A. Wisconsin has a lot of good food but we get a lot of hate just because we eat too much of it and get fat as a result of the over-eating.

I also liked Fogo de Chão Brazilian Steakhouse at 53rd st between 5th and 6th.

sorry cant name them at the top of my head despite me living in manhattan

>Wisconsin has a lot of good food
This is untrue. Wisconsin has some absolutely amazing good food, but most of what you find there is utter shit. And aside from beer it seems people who live there are unable to tell the difference between the good stuff and Betty Crocker level shit.

Local here.

Mighty Quinns, although a chain, actually has some nice BBQ. Personally I would make the trip to Williamsburg and hit up Fette Sau, but MQ is a fine alternative.

Never heard of that pizza place, but your suggestions is better than the one dude who said Di Fara or John's of Bleeker (both tourist traps).

Shake Shack has a weird smell to it and the burger is OK, but there are so many other joints that do it better. I personally like J.G. Melon even if it's a tad expensive.

Bid Daddys Diner I've never been to, but it's just a regular diner afaik. Literally pick any diner for breakfast and you're probably gonna enjoy it.

OP, go to Joe's Shanghai and have the best soup dumplings. Only ethnic joint I'll go to where white people are everywhere.

I went once with a Japanese tourist and she found a wooden stake inside her pastrami. showed the dude cutting up the meat and he gave me the meanest look like I planted it there. The staff there suck and the food is good, but yea go to 2nd Ave. Deli or something and get the same thing with a better atmosphere.

>St. Anslem

My nigga. Hanger steak for $19 bucks is totally worth it too. That place is amazing.

For steak, go to Delmonico's. Peter Luger is only good at lunch time when you can get the burger.

Yeah big daddy's is pretty blah, I suspect they get by on location and having a vaguely silly name

Also, DiFara and John's are closer to the archetypal new York style than Roberta's, which is good pizza but I assume the guy wants the NY style. There's nothing wrong with going to a popular place, your ">muh hole in the wall" nonsense is for the birds