Sweetbreads bread

Going to try for an offal thread.
Finally got my hands on some lamb sweetbreads for the first time this year. Got my offal dealer to phone me when he had some in stock that hadn't been snaffled up by the restaraunts.
Come and share your offal thoughts.
This is the raw product, soaking/rinsing these boys in water for a couple hours before I do anything.

I am excited to see how this turns out. Tfw you want to try sweetbreads but live in America

Depends, are you looking to bring out the flavour or mask it?

Also "offal dealer", that sounds shady mate, might want to go to a butcher instead.

Nice. I don't cook with offal enough. Which is too bad, because I actually enjoy liver...

Once they're nicely cleansed gonna put them in a pan with some lemon, pepper and red wine vinegar and bring it up to a simmer. Just want to parboil them now.
Sweetbreads are the thymus glands of a lamb. Miraculous organs that create cells for the immune system to keep the little lamb healthy as it gambols about in the spring fields. At least until the farmer comes along with his stun gun.

Ha, was just being tounge in cheek. Was from a good butcher.

Putting together some gremolata while that happens. Got a nice amalfi lemon for the zest and a fresh garlic, moist as spring, with a mild taste so it doesn't mask the delicate sweetbreads.

Given people live in first, even second world countries, why would people voluntarily eat this? And don't give me bullshit about it being good - everything is good if you batter it and fry it in butter. Why not buy a steak? Why not have a burger? Even a hot dog.

Ok so these are the parboiled morsels. They never look too appetising at this stage desu.

This is where the main work comes in.

Given they are killing another animal anyway to provide for their needs, why would they waste any of it, if it's good eating?

Because of an abundance of meat in the first world. The animal is dead - sure. That doesn't mean I'm going to drink its piss, its blood, eat its shit out of its intestines, eat its rectum, its eyeballs, or its teeth. I'm only interested in good quality steaks and cuts of meat that taste good. I'll never understand why people who have a choice choose to eat gross offal and shit.

Scrub up hands and gently peel off the membrane of the thymic capsule, as if you were peeling a brain in the lab. Pull away any remains of connective tissue and anything that looks tubular or nastily functional.
The aim is to get down to the soft, pretty cortex. That's where the deliciousness is.

Half of those things aren't even edible or part of the animal, user. Are you trying to look silly? Is this an act or for real? You sound like you might be too young to visit Veeky Forums.

You wouldn't believe how good these taste.

Now we can toss them in some seasoned flour. Get them looking like food.

Best to cook these really simply. Pan fried in butter and served on toast.

What other weird cuts are good op?

Kind of looking to eat healthier meat like liver and shit

I drink lots of vodka. That cleans out my system, and even cleans my teeth (I haven’t brushed in years, and haven’t had a cavity since).

I also eat a liverwurst sandwich pretty much every day – to counterbalance the effects the vodka has on my liver. I make my sandwiches on seeded rye (because it’s the healthiest bread), with mayo (because eggs are the best protein; I use kewpie, because the msg makes it taste better), coarse mustard (good for the white blood cells), zucchini pickles (because they taste good), and a bunch of baby spinach (just for filler; it could honestly be left out).

I also eat a lot of canned fish (mostly sardines, but also the occasional fancy smoked oysters) on saltines. They give you all your essential amino acids, and provide a nice opportunity to try out various hot sauces, which are generally very low in calories, while high in flavor and immensely prodigious to healthiness.

Aside from that, I drink large amounts of water (anywhere between ice-cold to slightly chilled) every day, always through a straw, and sometimes with a lemon wedge.

To each their own, I say, but I’m just shy of 30 and am doing better than most of you.

Into a hot skillet they go, letting them rest a couple minutes each side to brown up before you start moving them around.

Nuggers these ain't

Nice pasta. Have seen this before, always good for a laugh.

Finish them off in the pan with a good squeeze of that lemon. Then let's get them onto a plate and drizzle the pan juices over. Pour a glass of wine too, don't forget that.

I've only cooked this twice before. So moist, soft and tender. Flavour is so divine, you could almost weep when you realise you might only taste it another ten or twelve times in your life.

Thanks for the thread OP, I found it unusual and interesting.

Dunno how I'd cook lamb glands but I'd probably go some kind of semi-spicy chinese fried dish. Just a thought, I'm drunk and high.

Looks really good OP. Nice job

You seriously sound like my retarded ex gf

>why would anyone eat raw fish when cooking it makes it taste so good?
>have you ever tried it?
>ew, no its disgusting, no one should eat it

You only think its gross because you have never had it done right or at all.

>eew yuckeee! if it's not boneless skinless chicken breast it might get me sick!!!!
Carnism: the post

I think it would work with some kind of soy sauce/rice wine glaze with a bit of mild chilli.
I find them so hard to get hold of I only ever want to keep it simple when I cook them.

I bought a cow heart and I'm not sure what to do with it. In some other thread user suggested I chop it and stir fry it in garlic butter, any other ideas? Nothing too complicated

Americans eat offal too
you probably just live in a really crappy part of the country whose cuisine involves snack food as ingredients in recipes

Good effort, OP. Looks delicious.

>you probably just live in a really crappy part of the country whose cuisine involves snack food as ingredients in recipes
That's what "America" means to those kinds of people though. If you've ever eaten sweetbreads, you're unamerican and should just got back to Syria.

Dude you don't get it either
In the "murrica" freedom loving parts, sweetbreads are common, but that's the south
I'm talking about the western square states like nebraska or utah

Are we not talking about veal sweetbreads, that come from little baby cows?

My only flyover states I've lived in were on or east of the Mississippi, but I thought cows lived in Nebraska and Utah, but not so much Alabama or Louisiana. The south is about pig meat and chicken meat, is it not?

Rabbit liver, kidneys and heart in a pan with olive oil, lightly salted, cooked on top of caramelized garlic.

Heaven.