Thoughts on breadmachines?

Thoughts on breadmachines?

]the most likely to be donated kitchen utensil

most people don't eat enough bread fast enough to eat the no-preservative to not go bad. That waste discourages further use and then all the local charity shops have like 30 bread machines

DELETE THIS

>mom got me one for christmas even though i begged her not to, literally told her not to 30+ times
>turned around and craigslisted it
>2 hours driving through city traffic to get to some ladys job so i can take a loss on a bread maker i would have never used, ever

th-thanks mom

What if it's a 1lb loaf machine? I could go through a 1lb loaf in a couple of days easy.

You already have a bread machine. It's called a bowl, a counter top, and an oven.

>take a loss
It was a gift

I'm sorry user truthfully. Thats a shame and your mom sounds like the general 'i know better than u u r my child' bullshit parent.

Do you know how to store home made bread properly? Most home made loaves that are sliced are only good the day of/day after being sliced.

I don't mind them. I agree with the other guy about getting them cheap. My mom also got me mine, I think she paid like $200 for it. After I already bought one for $30 on craigslist and realized why I don't need one.

I gave away the $30 one so my mom would see the $200 one when she visits, and I use it about twice a year. I don't really eat much bread either way, but when I do, I hate kneading.

It honestly may not last a few days, depending on the recipe. Just learn to bake, it's one of the best culinary skills you can have and it's a wonderful stress relief activity. Check out the fresh loaf, excellent community there.

t. triweekly baker

> most people don't eat enough bread fast enough to eat the no-preservative to not go bad. That waste discourages further use and then all the local charity shops have like 30 bread machines

Yeah, I can see that happening. A (small) bread maker might be all right for a family or occasional use with holiday meals.

> What if it's a 1lb loaf machine? I could go through a 1lb loaf in a couple of days easy.

How many slices of bread does that translate into?

>I don't really eat much bread either way, but when I do, I hate kneading.
Get a good mixer. The only recipe I hate kneading are my sourdough bagels, those are a serious upper body workout and my elbows tend to hurt afterward. I let the mixer handle that now.

>How many slices of bread does that translate into?
Your pic is a 2lb loaf, so I'd guess around 6 thick slices.

Something something alton brown unity tool

It's not so much the fact that it's a... unitasker... as that bread machine bread really isn't that great. It compares well to stale preservative sandwich bread off the supermarket shelf, but is not nearly as good as decent hand baked bread. Furthermore, it can only really make a few types of breads--- sandwich bread and quick breads (e.g. banana bread) really. If you spend the money on a mixer instead, and learn to bake breads, you can make hearth breads, croissants, baguettes, sourdough, milk breads, etc.

I already have a good mixer. The bread machine is a lot easier to clean.

Do people usually find their home made bread goes off faster? My loafs seem to last easily twice as long as store bought ones, and I don't put anything preservative in besides salt.

your two sentences are contradictory
try again

What do you mean by "hand baked bread", are you the kid from Yakitate and your actual hands do the baking?

It's fine for what it is, which is to say, a rectangular brick of pretty serviceable bread for almost zero effort and minimal cleanup. Not everyone wants to nurse a spontaneously fermented sourdough starter and fuck around with poolish all week just to have a loaf of bread.

??? it's a non stick bowl, I've always found those to be much more difficult to clean (can't scrape, can't use scratchy sponges, harsh cleaners, etc). The mixer is just a stainless steel bowl and a dough hook, much less finicky and with fewer nooks and crannies to clean like the paddles at the bottom of your bread machine pan. I've owned a bread machine before, and in terms of cleaning I wouldn't say it's easier.

>I've always found those to be much more difficult to clean (can't scrape, can't use scratchy sponges, harsh cleaners, etc).
You're obviously doing something terribly wrong, you literally remove the dough, and then wipe the traces left in the bowl with a paper towel. That's it.

Seriously?

Do [most] people usually find their home made bread goes off faster? [I ask because other comments in the thread suggest this is the case.]

[Contrary to that situation, I personally find that] my [loaves] seem to last easily twice as long as store bought ones, and I don't put anything preservative in besides salt.

I too find it weird that a loaf of bread would go bad in 2 days without preservatives. I buy a lot of artisanal breads presumably made without preservatives and they last for a while.

forgive I'm drunk.

Okay yeah no my homemade loaves are usually edible on the second day as the day they're baked.

I live in a desert climate so just high temp no humidity tho so maybe that has something to do with it.

It depends on what else I'm buying. A Mexican concha is dead within hours. The baguettes from Kayser are pretty much stale within a day. Some of the heartier loaves I get at Eataly are good for several days.

At home all I make these days is no-knead, that's good for about two days.

I'm talking strictly in terms of palatability, mold is mostly dependent on storage conditions.

> > How many slices of bread does that translate into?
> Your pic is a 2lb loaf, so I'd guess around 6 thick slices.

That doesn’t sound too wasteful and could be quickly eaten up during a couple of meals within a weekend.