What is it about surburban white people cooking that is so bland and overcooked? Is this the way they were raised?

What is it about surburban white people cooking that is so bland and overcooked? Is this the way they were raised?

>be asian
>go for dinner at friend's place
>his mom serves the blandest spaghetti and meatballs I've ever tasted
>she microwaves tomatoes in a cup and smashes them, serves it as sauce over plain mushy spaghetti on the plate
>meatballs are a sad grey color and boiled, no seasoning at all to be tasted
>manage to choke down a few bites and nod politely in approval
>see friend chowing down happily
>see that we have a long way to go with cooking for him

Well hey if one middle class white family did it one time, it most definitely applies to all of them every time.

This is actually far more likely to happen in Asian households than white families. Whites use money to support their laziness. The vast majority would just buy Prego or Ragu sauce, and microwave frozen meatballs.

2/10 zipperhead bait

>Manage to choke some down
OH MAN. TOMATOS, NOODLES, AND BALLS OF GROUND BEEF. SO DIFFICULT TO EAT, MIGHT JUST VOMIT.

OP, don't you think that you just might be a bit of a cunt?

>be white
>go to dinner at asian friend's place
>choke down dog meat

I'm not even white, but you think you're one to talk? Asian food is 95% shit. I'm amazed you people are even able to digest half the things you eat. You're barbarians.

Fuck off back to /pol/ mate

The truth is that these women weren't taught by their mothers how to cook

I don't even browse /pol/ you dumb neanderthal. I just can't stand weebs and Asian cuisine because it's shit. It is bottom tier. I would rather eat dirt than some shitty fucking raw puffer fish, or camel hump. Take your meme sushi "food" and fuck off. I'd take a shitty white people white bread and peanut butter and jelly sandwich over Asia shit any day

>muh pole

Kill yourself

Ignorance is a shit argument though. If your knowledge of Asian food is "they eat weird shit like camel hump and puffer fish" then you're frankly retarded? Neanderthal, rofl? Aside from being white, I'm a nationally renowned chef.

You might as well go post over at /pol/, they'd love your brand of cultural racism. Just because I'm curious, do you see Panda Express as exotic?

If anyone uses the term "barbarian" even 20% seriously, then they're /pol/-tier. I'm tired of conspiracy theorists trying to make everything about identity politics when this is a food board. Sorry if it makes me a bit reactionary, but I call it as I see it.

Why is Veeky Forums so easily triggered

>I'm a nationally renowned chef.

Ahahahaha,

>hurr he said mean things about another persons food. RACIEST N SHIET

This faggot must be a weeb

White man here. Is camel hump bomb? That sounds p. dank. Wanted to try fugu for a while. Is it reasonably priced anywhere in LA?

>projecting this hard

If you want to talk Japanese food, I certainly could. And I'll grant that there is some weird shit eaten in Japan. You have heard of almost none of it, most likely. Sushi has its origins in fish packed in rice to ferment; if you found that objectionable then I'd understand. But to be disgusted by raw fish and rice, that just makes you sound like a child. Elevate that to a wholesale rejection of the cuisines of ~3 billion people, and racial bias is simply the only way that such a thing seems conceptually defensible.

>so bland

as in tasting anything besides a spice mix?

>boiled meatballs

Um... that never happened.

>this entire post
>Weeb confirmed

Kill yourself. You probably like anime and jerk off to Japanese school girl rape, but when you approach the Nips for sex they run away because of what kind of creepy ass white man you are.

You called me a weeb. Well to answer that, I won't deny that I'm knowledgeable of Japanese cuisine. I've made countless trips to Japan, China, Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia, and Korea for the sake of food, so I don't deny that knowledge.

But it's your own touchy projection that causes you to think I have some weird Japan fixation.

Sure is a lot of anger about food in here

This post was so euphoric I cringed

>euphoric
>cringe

you're showing your reddit there brah

>Sorry if it makes me a bit reactionary

No it makes you literally retarded. The OP was about fucking race, what do you expect the replies to be?

Are you scared of peppers though? Or is it the rice that gets you?

I have nothing against Asian food. Just autistic retards going muh pol muh pol muh pol all the time. Nice try though faggot

I don't even use reddit, but even if I did, what kind of autist gets mad because someone else visits a different website. Are you 5? Are you defind your anonymoose lejun?

>not wanting to read shitty jokes about some hackneyed jew conspiracy
>autistic

Oh yeah man all those Jew conspiracies

Chinese people have very little regard for life. You can see thousands of videos of animals there being tortured, people including children being run over and nobody gives a shit they just walk by the dead body, and so much more. They are a barbaric society. I'm not a faggot conspiracy theorist and I'm sure as shit not white. I "call it as I see it" and you're an oversensitive faggot.

What the fuck are you talking about and why are you responding to my post? I'm not the guy you're talking to.

That's the post that led to omg pol. Nothing remotely related to conspiracies or Jews

I've said it before and I'll say it here again. In a lot of western countries, especially north america and western Europe, the tradition of cooking passed on in generation has been more or less cut off the last two, three generations. I've met plenty of people who's grandmothers are great cooks, but have mothers who barely know how to navigate in the kitchen.

Industrialization and women's work chance increase has put less focus on household ability, in some cases I think there were young people actively avoiding to learn how to cook because it was considered "old fashioned". Couple this with the invention of cheap pre-fabricated foods and all the advertisement that went with it. Companies profited by having people not know how to cook, and often used the image of stressed career people, that has no time for cooking, in a positive light.

>actively avoiding to learn how to cook
a lot of women decided not to learn during women's lib so they wouldn't be expected to always cook for their partners.

>be asian
>shit up own thread with accusations of racism and fedora wearing when someone is as rude to me as I am to some white family

The advent hamburger helper

nah senpai just pointing out how autistic you're being brah

that's not suburban white people food, that's just shit food.

Let me tell you about everyday suburban white people food

>Cheese sandwich
>It is white bread, American cheese, and mayo
>Cream of Mushroom Chicken
>cans of Campbell's cream of mushroom poured over chicken and baked in a casserole dish
>it looks like baby vomit
>soy chicken
>it is chicken cut into chunks boiled/reduced in a frying pan in soy sauce and eaten with instant mashed potatoes
>rice
>white rice with butter
>meatloaf
>meat, egg, breadcrumbs, put it in a pan and cover in ketchup then bake
>vegetable soup
>celery, carrots, potatoes, a bay leaf, maybe some beans, vegetable stock and water.

You may notice a recurring theme here, the lack of flavor or salt, or really any seasoning. The only thing that ever, ever get's any flavor is eggs or cake.

should I go on?

What kind of Asian are you, the bug eating kind, the dog eating kind or the kind that cooks with gutter oil?

It's the patriarchy's fault

asians aren't human

I'm motherfucking Batman

>bomb
>p. dank

I live in LA, too, and you sound like a fucking retard.

>Aside from being white, I'm a nationally renowned chef.

This sounds like the start of some copypasta

maybe it is

And I'm a Guy in a Ferrari.

>If you disagree with my liberal views then you're automatically from /pol/

Shills are pushing this meme hard lately. Holy shit.

>lately

So one white family are terrible cooks so that means they all are. Why didn't u add salt and pepper to your own plate? that's not offensive.

Is this a really subtle way of calling Italians non-whites like the /int/ meme?

>brown eyes
>white

i read this as 'i'm guy fieri'

It's almost like white people don't need everything to taste like cumin and cilantro. It's so crazy that they seem to find the taste of meat and vegetables appealing enough to not completely cover it up at every goddamn meal.

My mother and mother inlaw are both suburban white
Mine cooks fantastic dishes with lots of fresh ingredients, spices and herbs and tastefully presented
The inlaw cooks absolute garbage. Frozen veg boiled to oblivion, everything else fried until blackened and tasteless
You should get rid of your white girlfriend and get a waifu asap

It's a matter of standards. If you're not used to good food mediocre shit will satisfy.

Imagine your typical middle class white family isolated in the suburbs. There's probably no decent restaurant near them, so they're of the opinion that going out to eat is overrated and overpriced. Unless one of them grew in a household where a parent happened to be a good cook there's a chance they've never even tasted anything better than the catering at a middle class wedding. They have no reference point for good food.

But that's not all they have going against them. They're stuck sourcing everything they eat from the supermarket, which has some decent ingredients for sale, but is mostly full of convenience and junk food products. Seeing these products every time they go shopping they've come to consider them normal, and eat them. This further degrades their taste.

Then there's the matter of children. Chances are they're living in the suburbs because they figured it was a good place to raise a family. So they probably have two kids, each with their own list of foods they won't eat, because white kids are fussy little shits. There's a good chance one of the parents is a picky eater as well, or harbors distorted ideas about fat or carbs being "unhealthy". So they have their own little list of foods they avoid as well.

Plus both adults are likely to be employed, so they're unlikely to make the kind of meals their grandmothers made, which frequently took over an hour to prepare. Quick and easy is a priority.

When they set out to cook the goal is not to make something delicious. The goal is to make something everybody in the family will eat with the least possible time invested to prepare it. Given their circumstances and standards this food will be mediocre at best, and often lean toward grimness. Because taste is not their priority.

>make something everybody in the family will eat with the least possible time invested to prepare it
>Taste is not their priority

That ought to be a capital offense.

Tell that to a parent of fussy children and they'll tell you to fuck right off. But the problem does take care of itself to some degree. Working parents of young children are generally not the ones throwing dinner parties. It's usually childless couples or people whose children are grown and out on their own. These folks have no excuse for being bad cooks, and my experience is many of them are good. The ones who aren't but insist on throwing dinner parties anyways are usually good at pouring drinks, so no one gives a shit by the time the meal is served.

American white women cant cook for shit

>Tell that to a parent of fussy children and they'll tell you to fuck right off.

Oh, I know. But the problem is really the parent's fault for either (or both):
-serving food so badly prepared that a child won't eat it
-allowing children to get away with being picky in the first place

It's not a problem. It's just the way things are. You've got your job, this kid's soccer practice, the other one's volunteer work, doctor visits when they're sick, their tendency to become unruly if dinner isn't on the table by 6:30, this one won't eat onions, that one thinks beans and mushrooms are gross and it's 5:30 and you have to make fucking dinner. You're out of fucks to give. You'll make any bullshit as long as the kids will eat it and it's easy. Cooking is not about creating something tasty and nutritious at that point. It's about scratching off hopefully one of the last things from that day's list of obligations.

Besides, little kids have shit taste, but you love them, so you want to cook something they'll enjoy. That will seriously fuck up your cooking. Raising two boys took the edge off my game for a decade. Because they LOVED really mediocre shit, and were likely to turn their noses up at anything complex or nuanced.

*white americans

i think it really varies on the family's lifestyle, suburban or not.

What you're describing has crossed my mind before (im chinese), but I dont think its true at all. I use to go over to a friend's place often to bake and socialize, and her mom makes some of the best Italian and noveau french food stuff ever.

I might be overgeneralizing abit, but I think the following reasons why white people get a bad rap for bland food.

1. protestant tradition, food was seen purely as an energy source; you'd be considered a glutton if you took pleasure in eating

2. extremely busy parents; most successful and wealthy white families seem to commonly have 2 working parents, this makes little time for them to take the time to cook an elaborate meal. The old "stay-at-home" mother is not an option anymore unless the father has an exceedingly well playing career.

3. Accessibility of processed foods; with whole foods, trader joes and all these new markets opening up there is little reason for even health conscious people to cook; why spend 3 hours over a stove simmering hungarian goulash when you can just buy it down at trade joes for 12 bucks?

You might think you're well mannered for choking back some "sub-par" spaghetti, but chances are really you're just a self-center obese shitstain who can't appreciate food that doesn't have a pound of salt and sugar in it.

From one asian to another, lose some weight you fat cunt.

>"asian cusine"

kill yourself lmao

because they eat NOTHING but sushi in India..right? fucking plebs these days i swear

So do giant fatass white grown men as in "adults" seriously watch japanese cartoons and try to cook the food from cartoons and think the pillow they sleep with that has a drawn on cartoon kid is really their girlfriend or is this all one huge meme

>It's not a problem
Fussy eaters and lack of cooking skills is certainly a problem.

>>this kid's soccer practice, the other one's volunteer work,

IMHO cooking a proper meal is far more important than soccer practice. If there's not time for both, choose cooking.

>> this one won't eat onions, that one thinks beans and mushrooms are gross
And as I said before, those things only happen if the parents already fucked up by either sucking at cooking or by allowing that sort of behavior in the first place.

I'll cook something that I want to cook. If the kids don't want to eat it then they can choose to go hungry.

HOLY FUCK this entire thread is so triggered

good job OP you got what you wanted i guess

>you dont like our white people food?
>well, all asian food is SHIT!
>SHIT!

you have never had kids so don't even bother commenting on shit because it makes you look really fucking dumb

>getting this butthurt and triggered

*makes his own food his kids won't eat, won't feed kids*
*social services shows up says a teacher reported you because your kid didn't eat dinner and hasn't had food in 17 hours*

hurr durr they eat what I make or screw them it's my tastes over theirs rigggght

one of the things with having kids is sacrifices. You give up what you like and what you want when you have to so that they are happy. Please don't ever become a parent

see The point is kids have their own wills, and you cannot control their will entirely or everyone in the house will be miserable. You will be a tyrant. And guess what one of the first things kids realize they have some control over in their lives happens to be? What they will and won't eat.

There were plenty of times when I still made whatever I wanted and told them that's what's for dinner. Because you can't let them call the shots. But at a certain point a dinner with the family isn't about the food. It's about spending time together as a family and fucking bonding over a meal and some laughs. If one kid wants to use it as an opportunity to pitch a battle over whether or not he'll eat onions it'll ruin the experience. Besides, you know he'll eat onions anyways, you just have to chop them finely enough that he doesn't notice they're in there.

Speaking as a former child myself, I don't see where the problem lies. I was never given an option as to what I wanted to eat. My parents cooked a meal and that was the only option on the table. I never whined about "eew that's yucky", I just ate it. Because I learned that whining wouldn't get me anywhere.

>> And guess what one of the first things kids realize they have some control over in their lives happens to be? What they will and won't eat.
But they don't have to learn that. They only learn that if you fuck up and let them be picky.

>> It's about spending time together as a family and fucking bonding over a meal and some laughs
I agree 100%. Sitting down to meals as a family is a great thing, and one of the things I miss the most about "modern" society: people seem to let all sorts of other frivolous things dictate their schedule but don't sit down to eat together as friends or family anymore.

>> whether or not he'll eat onions
If he/she doesn't want to eat onions then he can either pick them out or eat one of the other dishes on the table instead. No drama.

My biggest pet peeve right now is dinner time my wife and kids grab plates and go sit in front of the TV and I despise it and no matter what I do, 3 to 1 they beat me out. I've said over and over and over the kitchen table is not a storage shelf it is for eating meals at. Yet nobody listens and some how every single day there is so much crap piled on the table it's impossible to expect to eat at the table and I figure they do it on purpose. Out of all the fucked up shit in my life, that's what I hate the most.

It sounds like your wife has extremely poor table manners.

Hopefully she's either smoking hot or she's a big earner, because she clearly fails at teaching your children manners.

just fuck off dude- you don't know shit.

>muh personal experience accounts for everybody

yeah, nah, shut the fuck up

>But they don't have to learn that.
Many don't. Some do. I think it runs in families. (Whether it's genetic or cultural I won't speculate). My sister has three picky kids. But my bro was a picky eater, so is my mom, her brothers and her father. (I'd love to blame the Irish bloodline).
>No drama.
This may not be something you have control over. My boys ate everything when they were very young because I presented the food to them as "here's dinner". I didn't offer them options. But once they got old enough to hang out at friends' homes they saw Picky Pete's parents let him have chicken nuggets for dinner because he hates everything. They knew they couldn't pull that shit with me, but the older one has always disliked the texture of cooked onion, and figured he could get away with protesting that.

Shouldn't have married down.

>I think it runs in families

I would agree. IMHO it comes down to how the children were raised. Some parents let their children get away with things and other parents don't. It starts when the children are very young.

Meh >opinions

My family is generally accomplished cooks, though to be fair I'm the only one who seems to know how to not overcook chicken. Overall I would agree that most suburbanites, regardless of color are pretty shitty overall cooks. Worst thanksgiving dinner I've ever had the misfortune of experiencing was at a Vietnamese friends house, they did their best to emulate American food, but it was God awful. My Mexican friends mom uses shit cuts of meat and everything is just basically fat, same with my black neighbours who invite me over sometimes. Non whites drink the worst beer and for some reason find it odd to drink water with meals.

It's all relative.

>Some parents let their children get away with things and other parents don't
This is true. There are those with more authoritarian parenting styles. I was not one of them. I did not let the kids call the shots, but they could express preferences, and some of the time I'd take them into account. My opinion was that if they felt their upbringing was substantially more authoritarian than that of their peers their chances of doing really stupid shit when teenage rebellion hit were probably higher. You know, the whole Preacher's Daughter thing.

itt: autism and butthurt

Jesus Christ, how horrifying.

As a pale suburbanite in southern US, I can't understand some people and the food they find acceptable. Fritos are never the base for any decent meal.

I do think it has to do with being raised a certain way-- either you were taught shit techniques and copied them or your parents could cook so you never learned.

>had one token asian friend growing up
>her mom was so scared all her white friends were like OP's example
>refused to cook true vietnamese food
>"You won't like,"
>ordered fast food whenever we came over

She'd make badass eggrolls once in a while, but it was the most "ethnic" thing she'd cook for us, and obviously she only did it because it was fried and she figured no one could hate that.

>a proper meal is more important than sports

Someone on Veeky Forums thinks that a social event involving physical exercise is less important than good food.

Shocker.

Go back to tumblr with this 'LOLOL WHITE PEOPLE' shit.

To be fair, the average white American eats a staggering amount of garbage. As a guest in a suburban home I once was served a frozen pizza with salad from a bag and ranch dressing. This is what a housewife deemed appropriate to serve to guests. I was awestruck.

Soccer is a hobby.
Eating is vital to human survival.

As for the "social" aspect, that's part of the reason why eating a meal together as a family is so important. Kids can fuck around getting exercise nearly any time of the day. But how often do you get a chance to sit down as a family and talk? Play soccer all you want. Just not during the family meal.

option B is the answer for that one

>eating a meal together as a family is so important.
Agree completely. That's exactly why parents sometimes cut corners on a hectic day to get that shit on the table.

unfortunately most sports practices are after school which crosses over into supper time and forcing your kid to lose out on that experience is far worse than missing a meal 3 times a week due to making friends, being socialized, having a hobby other than smoking weed and cranking one out to tranny porn...

But the day doesn't have to be "hectic". With proper planning there's no need to rush or cut corners.

(except, of course, for those once-in-a-while situations when someone gets sick and has to go to the doctor, or the car breaks down on the drive home from work etc.)

Sounds like a lot of households. My mom made nan bread and some kind of yogurt chicken curry mix and some kind of Indian rice last night. We're white and in the lowest bracket of the middle class.

So I guess it depends on the household. When we go to my cousin's on after holiday visits my aunt cooks shittily like you're talking about OP. Fucking terrible shit frozen thrown into the oven or microwave with some kind of canned sauce or nothing thrown on top of it.

To compare they bring in about 120k+ and our household brings about 48k maybe.

When you have a couple kids in the house those "once in a while" situations happen more than you'd think.

I grew up with two siblings, so there were 3 of us kids. I can't recall one of those situations EVER creeping up, except for when my dad was traveling for his job and sometimes he'd get in late due to flight delays. Oh, and the one time the A/C system failed and shorted out the fuse panel, killing the power to the house.

I'm of the opinion that if "those kinds of situations" are happening often, then it's the result of trying to do too many things in too little time--in other words, when people are attempting to do too many hobbies that they simply don't have time for.

a/c goes out..gosh..it wouldn't have chosen that time to die on us if dad hadn't of been out playing soccer. It would have kept working fine if he sat his ass inside...sure thing bro

>people are attempting to do too many hobbies that they simply don't have time for.
This is epidemic among middle class suburbanites. They choose to live in a place where participating in organized activities requires getting in the car and driving somewhere. In situations where city kids could just take the subway on their own suburban kids rely on their parents to drive them around. Parents feel guilty if kids miss out on shit they want to do. It's not that the kids are asking to do that much, it's that it involves a stupid amount of driving because they've chosen to live in a stupid place -maybe for good reasons, but now you're stuck with it. And it's only for a few years, so you just tough it out.

My sister is in the midst of that right now. Sofuckingglad I live in the city.

>have to drive 10 minutes
>stupid place to live

enjoy the 45 minute subway ride back to your 10 square foot apartment you carless faggot urban trash

It's a 15 minute subway ride, and the park views make up for it being less than huge.

F L Y O V E R
L
Y
O
V
E
R

>hey my apartment isn't big but atleast when i am awake at 3am listening to roaches crawl around my 1 bedroom studio apartment i can look out the window and watch homeless drunk bums fight in the park