Best cut

>Best cut

>Pennies per pound

How does that happen?

Hey kid, wanna butt?

Normies dont know how to cook it so they mistakenly think it's gristly trash. DO NOT correct them on this, or it will go the way of ox tail.

because normies think fat is bad

Idiots prefer chicken breasts, let them enjoy their dry meat/

In this European country, the chicken leg quarters are 2.50/kg, the skinless boneless breasts are around 6. The leg quarter is 25% back/spine section, so the effective leg price is now 3.33/kg. Only half of that is edible, so the price for meat ends up being the same. Of course the leg meat is of a higher culinary quality and you do get "free" bones and fat that you could use for stock (which nobody in this country has done in 50 years).

Never thought of it that way before but you're right, chicken thighs and legs aren't really cheaper.

last grocery run i bought like 6 pounds of quarter darks for ~$1/pound from the reduced meat pile

shit was gewd

because I hate cooking it
because of cartilage
because i can't reheat it on a pan
because it isn't as juicy as breasts

>The leg quarter is 25% back/spine section
>Only half of that is edible

Why are you deducting the weight of the bones twice?

According to my source, chicken leg quarters have a 67% yield. In other words, only 33% is the bones and fat. That does affect the price of course but it's not as much as your example implies.

>because i can't reheat it on a pan

Wait, what? Why can't you reheat it on a pan?

Only good thing to result from Veeky Forums drones was hiking up the price of boneless skinless breast meat.

>Only half of that is edible
Nigga, what? The only parts that aren't edible are the bones and the cartilage around the joints which are light as fuck.

Because he doesn't know how to cook.

What's the best (and quickest) way to cook a FROZEN chicken leg quarter?

Pull leg out ahead of time to thaw it and then cook as normal.

you can bake it frozen don't even need to defrost that shit

obviously make sure the temp is lower (350 instead of 375/400) so the shit has time to cook without just burning to fuck and being solid inside

The same way you cook a fresh one. In most cases, you don't actually need to thaw frozen meat unless the shape is important to cooking it.

For how long? I don't have a thermometer

>because it isn't as juicy as breasts

What in the fuck

Got any good recipes for that quarter of a chicken? I've got 2 left in the fridge and nothing to do with them.

~40 min

just pull it out and cut a piece and see if its done... if not just pop it back in

you can turn up the heat to ~400 for a little bit at the end if you want to get the outside sexy at the end

Thanks

The best way to get cheap meat is to buy a whole animal. If you buy half the price or less than you get in the supermarket, plus you get the bones, organs and usually the butcher will throw in the bones/organs/belly fat/other pieces from other animals which he can't sell but will give you to keep you happy.

I once took quarters out the oven and the thermometer said 84°C (75°C is safe). But when I poked it with the thermometer, there was red blood coming out, what the hell? Yes the thermometer is calibrated and accurate.

Did you insert the thermometer into the deepest/thickest part of the quarters?

>why does blood turn dark?
Oxidization. Different from clotting of blood.
>what do we need for that?
Heat and oxygen.
>I have heated the blood why is it not brown
A: you didn't heat it, put finger on bone.
B: there isn't any oxygen in there, not possible because there is water in blood

how come every time i bake my chicken breasts they aren't tough, but they taste rubbery?

Breasts are like cardboard. They are indistinguishable from cardboard.

You're overcooking them. Lower temp or don't bake as long.

how do you bake chicken without it getting so bloody at the bone? i tried making cuts to the bone so that the blood just seeps out but its still so bloody after an hour of baking at 400.

sorry mate but you have to deal with the fact that you're literally chewing meat off the bone of an animal and it's got blood in that meat.

of all the fucking things to complain about baka

>how do you bake chicken without it getting so bloody at the bone?

Stop undercooking it. If you can't wing it, then get a thermometer.

>400
Are yours frozen/ are you not pre heating your oven?

I regularly cook chicken legs/thighs at 400 for maybe 45 mins and theyre already done and never as bloody as that.

So maybe 20 to 30 more min of baking?

I get it from the store and it's already frozen.

Starting with a fully thawed chicken leg & a pre-heated oven I concur with around 45 min @400.

That will obviously take longer if you are starting from frozen and/or not preheating your oven before the chicken goes in. Also, ovens are notoriously inaccurate as far as temp settings go. Your oven may cook faster or slower than others; experience (or a THERMOMETER) will resolve that.

Thank you sir

Thigh is good but if you brine breast meat before then you have no worries.

Why do retards put frozen food in the oven without thawing it first?

Did they learn this from heating frozen pizzas?

Maybe if you don't cook it properly
Depending how thick because if you cut it and put it back in you just dried it out. 55 min at 350 for thicker

>not eating the cartilage

Brine nigga brine.

JUICY

>ITT: Niggas who can't cook a chicken breast to save their life

I knew Veeky Forums was hot pockets and microwave pizzas, but this seems like a new low.

this guy knows

brine>dry>sear>bake

My nigga most people dont know to sear at all!

How do you make your leg quarters?

I like to get that skin nice and crispy frying them in oil and butter then finish in the oven

Same. Also I throw some onion, bell pepper, carrots and garlic when in the oven.

>If you buy half the price or less than you get in the supermarket

I always hear this but whole chickens are more expensive per pound at my butcher than drums or full quarters or even the boneless skinless thighs at the market in Chinatown.

I let it thaw out for half a day before I cook.

That's because the chicken meat you buy is marinated to hell and back and has a very high percentage of water and sodium, whereas an actual chicken is just meat

>not eating the bone

Its like people WANT osteoporosis.
Or maybe they fell for the "my orange juice has calcium!" meme.

Eating bone is not only actually perfectly natural, but quite delicious too. People pay top dollar to get whats inside that bone at fancy restaurants.