/alc/

how you hanging in there boys?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YcBOcwgb4OA
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_bottle#Sizes
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'm enjoying my willpower and ability to drink responsibly.

Gonna have to quit completely in a bit over a week, how to best taper?

Talk to a doctor if you're physically dependent, alcohol withdrawal sucks ass and can actually kill you.

I usually stick to liquor which keeps me at 1-2 drinks. Been getting into wine and now I understand how easy it is to become a lush

I'm not sure it's physical. I'll try and go a night or two between now and then to see but I think it's a mental thing like when I was "addicted" to weed.

Use this chart to see how likely you are to be able to go cold turkey.

i was so good for two days, so good

but then i thought, one drink

well maybe 3 drinks

fuck it lets kill the fifth. itll be my last night drinking.
ill finish it all tonight so there wont be any left for me to drink tmwr
i know its a lie but i do it every time. why

why Veeky Forums

what do I do?
Im moving into a 90 hr week program in a couple of months, i need to be ready
im just gonna fuck it up again

that chart doesn't make fucking sense.

the creator was probably drunk

hohoho

someone tell me ill be ok

3 days sober so far. Spent the last 4 years drinking between 1 and 2 bottles of wine a night.

Worst i've had was extremely mild nausea for an hour that went away when I went outside.

A fairly bad Headache the first night that disappeared with 2 alka seltzer.

Some sweating at night in bed.

What is it about gastro that makes people drink so heavily. The full on stress and rushing to get shit done quickly AND well?
Somewhat related, when it comes to cleaning up after the shift, I always double time it to get the fuck outta there, problem is Im too wired and amped up to go to sleep afterwards, so I always pour something to calm my ass down, I should probably switch to tea or someshit instead.

Yes it does. It's not easy to read, I give you that, but it makes sense.

Imagine painting the white square in colour like a heat-map, "cold" in the lower left corner, "hot" in the top right one.
The lines show where to change colour.

You're right. I saved it from a page I'd read before then posted it. It made sense in context, so I'll find the page again.

The lines show how many drinks you'd need over each length of time, to have a 50/50 chance of each level of withdrawal. For instance, you would need 25 drinks each day for 3 days to suffer major withdrawals, but only 15 each day if you drink for 9 days, and so on. Hence the lines go down.

Night sweats are common. Watch out for day sweats though.

How exactly can alcohol withdrawal kill you? Do you think becoming addicted to alcohol then dying of withdrawals is a good way to commit seppuku?

No, if you get truly addicted the odds of being able to cut yourself off will be awful. The odds are you'd just become a drunk.

One day down.

Your withdrawals include shaking (due to CNS failure), sweating, weakness, nausea, hallucinations, generalised pain, elevated pulse and blood pressure and intense anxiety. They increase gradually over the course of a couple of days to a week.

The first day will see you with mild tremors, feeling weak and unable to eat, and moderate anxiety. After a day or two, you'll be suffering moderate to intense shaking and a lot of weakness, possibly unable to walk far or at all. If you aren't vividly hallucinating by this point, you'll at least be hearing faint voices and seeing light flashes. The anxiety will be intense.

As these effects progress, your risk of seizures, coma, heart attack or stroke also increase, until eventually it either fades or you enter a state of acute withdrawal known as DTs, characterised by vivid hallucinations, delirium, extreme anxiety, intense shaking and restlessness and blood pressure spikes. Your risk of seizures at this point is astronomical.

So in answer to your question, no, not a good way to kill yourself at all.

>drink with brother
>try and tell him that people are afraid of him in his immediate life, they are fearful he will hurt them
>deflects and leaves conversation
>try to get him to listen before his court date the next day
>angry to the point in which I punch my porch while smoking
>hand a little bruised, now I can't play video games very well
>brother thinks I'm making it all up

What audacity there is within my retarded life

Just took a drug test for a new job. Do they test blood alcohol levels too? If they do...I'm kind of fucked.

>videogame
>punching walls
Grow the fuck up

Nobody is afraid of your faggot brother.

I've got a gin buzz going.
About to have some kind of breakfast.

52 days

Suck it

Been doing great lately. Then yesterday I killed a 6 of malt liquor, several cocktails and ate most of a deep-dish pizza. I am sweating ethanol and mozzarella this morning.

Depends on job and what exact tests they do.
They can only test for illegal drugs, or extant to immoral ones. They can can use cheap tests with high false positive/negative, and not give a fuck if you get false positive.

Also, they wouldn't test for alcohol (it goes away relatively fast, unless you drink in the morning before the test or go there with hangover), but for idk what hormone level that usually rises when you're an alkie.

And they don't test (or don't bother telling you) for other health problems.

sick burn

I punched a porch and it wasn't over video games - I know this is the boozer thread but try and up your reading comprehension dude

k

been drinking like a madman the past week, usually I'm able to limit myself to four or six tall cans of beer a day but this past week I've been hitting the port and rum after I finish my sixpacks, and as a result of that I wake up hungover which I usually don't, which just means I continue drinking to fix the hangover

Number of drinks is the most useless fucking metric. Use units of alcohol ffs

We can read. The fact that you punch porches, beams, walls, or anything means you need to grow up. The fact that you play videogames means you need to grow up.

If your brother is anything like you he likely is a faggot that no one is afraid of. His court date is probably due to public endangerment via critical faggotry.

>The fact that you play videogames means you need to grow up.

Normalfags please leave

6 drinks a day master race

A standard drink is a legit unit of measurement. It's precisely 14 grams of alcohol, or 1.75 units. No more arbitrary than units themselves.

got hit with a pretty bad cold earlier this week. still drank the first day, but i got so terribly dehydrated that night that i have been able to stop for three days now. going to see if i can go a week even if i start feeling better earlier.

A "standard drink" changes based on country

But Standard drinks and units of measurement are social constructs, maaan

So wait. How much is an ounce of 80 proof then? I always just go by 1 drink = 1 oz of liquor, 4 ounces wine, or 12 ounces beer.

good job, you just crossed the brink into becoming alcoholic

That's pretty much it.

You'll die one day. There'll be nothing left to worry about.

So the last time I gave up drinking I had a greater than 50% chance of major withdrawal, and suffered no withdrawal at all. Not bad. I'm almost tempted to binge for another month to see if I can do it again.

I still haven't died.

My habit seems a lot less severe when I don't read threads such as these...

I tapered down to around 8 drinks a day down from 12+ a night for a week now
I was trying to stop for a few days and start slow again, but I since my daily withdrawals are much less it makes me feel like going out and having a drink.
It's a damn vicious cycle

I'm still having trouble with this fucking chart. So say I had 8 drinks a day for the last 60 days, its a little over the green line. So theres a little over a 50% chance I'd have minor withdrawal?

Or if I had 10 drinks a day for 60 days theres a 50/50 chance I'd have mid level withdrawal?

I drink one 750ml bottle of beer a day, on and off, everything I drink is so bloating that I can't force myself even if I wanted to have more than one

I guess I drink a lot, but it takes 8 shots of 40% to feel the numbness. I am a large guy (122kg, 196cm), so it makes sense to need more to feel it, but everyone keeps saying how they are concerned of me.

Did a mask leak test for work. On the screen it showed alcohol levels detected. I was hungover from the night before, wasn't actually working that day either thankfully. I think I'm giving it all up lads, makes my depression a fucking nightmare, when I can normally contain it

Essentially yes.

Some people just seem completely immune until they've done it for years. Also depends on the circumstances of your drinking, e.g. do you drink all day or during the evening, how quickly you drink etc.

Someone who drinks fast until blackout and then drinks again on waking, repeat ad. infinitum, will be significantly more likely to suffer intense withdrawals than someone who drinks the same amount only at night or slowly throughout the day.

You'll be ok. One thing that I've noticed is avoiding liquor or at least only getting a pint instead of a fifth is not as painful as killing a full fifth in a night. I've been digging beer as I've been tapering off the alchy neet life and then I can be buzzed for a long while and go to sleep peacefully instead of passing out

Isn't a pint almost a fifth?

I swear living with college folk after you're done with college is the worst thing you can do for this shit. I'll try joining in on drinking games with a weak beer or something and I wind up becoming the target person to make drink since I already have a relatively high tolerance. I just want to socialize with my house man, not get belligerent.

A pint is less than half a fifth. Not having it available is the best defense imo.

I have a handle of Prestige vodka and a fuck off huge thing of green flavored Hawaiian Punch.

I drink Thursday Friday, maybe Saturday if I'm up for it. Most weeks not all. Never skip work or social functions for it. I got this shit.

Not by much. A pint is like a 6th, so only like 20% less.

i moved to wine

idk if that's a good thing

Are you retarded? a fifth is 750 ml. A pint is 570 ml?

Do math

At least you always have wine around for cooking.

A pint is really 375 ml in murrica boozing. A half bottle. It isn't a true pint but that's what we call half bottles. And some of you guys are right, that is the correct amount to drink. It's a fine line but more than that equals trouble.

First time posting in one of these because I think I'm getting there. About 4 months ago I first started buying alcohol for myself at home (used to only drink heavily with friends). Now I buy cheap malt liquor 40s every day coming home from work, drink 1-3 with some other beer, and follow it with whatever hard alcohol I have in stock (usually just one bottle as I try to buy new shit each trip to the liquor store).
I totally forget what it's like to fall asleep sober, this is just way too much fun. I feel like in a way it's helping me as I usually feel way more relaxed and conscious if I'm a tad hungover each morning, but that could just all be in my head so fuck if I know. I should probably take a week off or something but it doesn't make me depressed yet so that probably won't happen.

Someone told me box wine was mathematically better than cheap vodka but I'm calling shit.

What's the whether like in bongland?

I assume rainy and shit as always. I'm American but have always have sets of proper pint glasses so it's my only frame of reference.

I'm a burger so we just refer to the half fifths as pints. Then there's mini pints and I have no idea how big they are

I don't get how this helps anyone. I'm sober at the moment but when I'm drinking, there's nothing stopping me buying more when I'm out, which I most certainly do in my drunken state of mind. Buying less doesn't make more unavailable.

Weird. I could understand 440-500ml but 375 isn't remotely close to a pint.

The first thing rule for recovering from alcoholism is to always drink at home alone, so you can't get more.

>The first thing rule for recovering from alcoholism is to always drink at home alone

I bought one once, I just called it a half pint. It's actually a bit more than half a 375, I think it was like a 260 ml. As for what a murrican pint is, it's slang. You tell em you want a pint and you get a half bottle.

This is why I don't do bars and shit.

I have a Rainbow Dash pint glass. I fill the glass with vodka to the top of her tail, the rest with mixer. Three and a half or so of these gets me blotto.

i think don't think i'm a full-blown alcoholic.

i don't crave alcoholic. i don't get shakes when i abstain from alcohol.

but i sure like getting absolutely sloshed whenever i have stress in my life. or if i'm just really bored.

>getting into wine
>Rosé

i'm down to about 8 beers a night now
for a while i was going through handles of vodka every other day
the doc says my liver enzymes are elevated
so...might have to think about quitting at some point

burgers are weird mang. Most people I've encountered get really confused when I refer to a half gallon as a handle.

It's just slang mane. We think yal are weird too. But we don't really have a clue how you measure drinks. Here a fifth is 750. A pint of liqour is 375, (half bottle). A half pint is something like a 250 ml. A handle is the plastic jug with a literal handle attached to it. I'd call it a weekend dose.

>A handle is the plastic jug with a literal handle attached to it.

A 1.5. Double a fifth.

I live a ways from any liquor stores and I've never felt the need to drive drunk even when black out so personally limiting the flow intentionally helps.

a handle is 1.75L in america

I drove drunk once. You want some advice?

DON'T.

I remember maybe half of it. The realization that I went several miles on a 50 mph street with no memory scares the shit out of me. DON'T fucking do it.

Who /drunkdrivers/ here?

I always say I'll never do it but I always end up wanting to go grab more alcohol at midnight and nothings within walking distance, just 3-4 minute drives.

I have a good friend who got caught once after drinking too much schnapps. Woke up in a drunk tank in bfe because he was picked up just over the county line. Had some homeless dude trying to summon satan next to him.

Why can't you get more?

Pretty much this. Doesn't help that my liquor store is a 2 minute downhill walk away.

box of wine = 5L/10-12% ABV/$11.99

handle of wodka = 1.75L/40% ABV/$9.99 or 10.99 depending on the area

i moved to wine because i coudln't stomach vodka anymore. too many post-wake up puking.

>3 minute drive
>not walking distance
You fat fucking shit.

Hope your friend died or never drank again.

Nah, after that he learned restraint. I haven't seen him drink more than two beers in a night on a weekend since then. Refuses to touch liquor now.

1 1/2 cup of scotch a day so far for the past month or so, im more worried about what it's doing to my wallet tbqh

My manager is a bit of a causal drunk, whereas I'm a full blow drunk.

He's basically black (claims to be Puertorican or Dominican or some shit, but owns a grill).

His usual drinking habits revolve around Courvoisier, even though he drinks it with Coke(???).

One night I gave him the bottom end of a pint of Wild Turkey 101 that I had leftover from when I went to go see a movie and gave it to to him to try since it was barely enough to to piss me off.

He got HOOKED.

I have accomplished the task of getting a (more or less) black man to stop drinking nigga shit and drink straight up redneck liquor.

He has told me on several occasions that Wild Turkey is his favorite liquor, even with the various bourbons I let him sample.

Do I get a prize or something?

youtube.com/watch?v=YcBOcwgb4OA

The problem with driving drunk is that if you're drunk enough, driving drunk is _VERY_ fun.

At the same time, driving buzzed is horrifying since you're shitting yourself the whole way worried about getting a dewey.

>The problem with driving drunk is that if you're drunk enough, driving drunk is _VERY_ fun.

NO. It isn't. I remembered nothing except that I got home with NO memory of how. If that doesn't scare the shit out of you then I have no idea what does.

>Half a pint is not half a pint

A magnum then.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_bottle#Sizes

Kill yourself.

As an alcoholic pizza driver, and as a person who has driven drunkcsince his teen years, I just got my first DUI about two weeks ago. My life is going to be fucked for the next few years. But I can't say I didn't deserve it. I think I must have driven buzzed or drunk at least 500 times. I don't think I'll ever do it again. After some horrid withdrawals, I'm a week and 3 days clean of alcohol. Yay