Great local restaurant you've been visiting for years closes down

>great local restaurant you've been visiting for years closes down
>it isn't because their quality went down but some random dispute between owners or landlords or whatever

Other urls found in this thread:

insidescoopsf.sfgate.com/blog/tag/botto-bistro/
bottobistro.com/YELP.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'm ancient Egyptian and this gif offends me, delete it.

who build the pyramids?

>Sacramento, Ford's burgers by Land Lark
>one of the best burgers in town
>struggling financially
>lawyer in a wheelchair sues them because they don't have handicap access to their bathroom.
Owner told me it was the last straw, but I'm still mad at that fucking lawyer. Apparently he's done that to a few businesses.

Sorry, wasn't meaning to offend african egyptians

WE

Jews

kangs indeeeeeed shiiieeeet

Melanoids

The worst is the yelp generation. I had this little hole in the wall I used to go to, it wasn't anything super fancy but they had good quality korean food at reasonable prices, but these fucking hipster foodie fucks started showing up and threatening the owner with bad reviews unless he fixed their food a specific way (which is something you don't do with korean food, you eat it as it's served, it's just a thing, unless there's special circumstances), and then they did, so less people started showing up. It makes no sense, people that'd been going for years just slowly stopped showing up every day, then every couple, then every week, then just not at all, then they had to shut down a few months later. I still fucking talk to the owner and he lost so much money on that restaurant and only kept it open because he loved serving the community. Fuck, it makes my god damned blood boil. There needs to be a fucking verification and $500 price for every fucking "review" someone leaves.

I live in a big enough city where there's a local food board that's really active and I can actually find gems instead of relying on yelp but yeah I'd say that a yelp 4/5 is actually a 2/10 and a yelp 3/5 is actually at least a 7/10

Sauce on gif?

You literally just have to click the google link above the picture.

>says he knew the "hole in the wall" before everyone else
>goes on at length about how he knows so much about Korean food culture
>claims everyone else is the hipster

wew

>everybody uses 4chanx

fuck off

Boardwalk Empire

Don't forget that Yelp often blackmails these businesses by offering to skew reviews to make the ratings look better if the owners pay them.

On the other hand, there's this one restaurant I remember reading about that turned Yelp's own system against it by specifically asking people to post 1-star reviews. Yelp and a few of the 'elite' users who use their sway to try and get free shit from other places were not amused.

KAAAANGZ

How can you sue over something like that? On what fucking grounds? Can you sue if a place does not have a restroom? What if the owner allows you to use the private bathroom and then you still sue because it's not made for cripple lawyers?

What kind of fucked up court system would even accept this case?

I imagine lawyers are much like cops: For every one that decides to become a cop to help people there's 20+ with chips on their shoulders just wanting to feel big and important and boss people around.

Plus he probably wasn't always in a wheelchair and is therefore pissed at the entire world.

do you have link tok story, please?

My local diner burnt down, and I didn't know until I drove up to the boarded up building one weekend morning.

I think that's a worse fate than closing down to some landlord dispute.

>On what fucking grounds?
its against modern building codes
>Can you sue if a place does not have a restroom?
yes

insidescoopsf.sfgate.com/blog/tag/botto-bistro/

bottobistro.com/YELP.html

The ballsiness of these guys is amazing.

no.

some are grandfathered in you dumb fucking nigger

Dumb mobile poster

it's cute when children born and raised in subdivisions built in 1992 try to be libertarians

I'm not american, its unheard of to sue someone over something as petty as this. Although the garbage aspects of your culture can be seen in my country more and more each year so I wouldn't be surprised if we started trying to bankrupt each other for shits and giggles as well in the near future.

canadians are americans, stop being such a special snowflake

>local cowboy west restaurant was the best fucking thing as a kid
>staff always came out to sing and dance, star shaped nuggets that all the kids wanted
>big barrel of peanuts for everyone to take from around the entrance
>someone fucking trips on peanut shells and the place closes down

feels bad man

Law student here. I can confirm this in spades.

The real problem isn't assholes who become lawyers with the express purpose of being assholes. I've only met one or two of those guys.

It's that the law profession has been infiltrated and taken over by autists .

My fundamentals class is made up of kids who interrupt our professor all day with Futurama jokes. Yes, a show that ended years ago, and they think it's the funniest shit ever.

We were doing an in class reading in which someone read the named "Agnew" out loud. It was a mistake. Most of the people in my class started to howl, if on cue, "arooooooo".

It was 30 seconds of virtually my entire class howling. My professor, realizing that they wouldn't stop, just sat down and buried his head in his hands. That man was a fucking Illinois supreme Court Judge, and this new generation of Adderall popping autists proved too much for him

Records of the pyramids predate records of the Jews by about a thousand, six hundred years.
They could not have built them.
While some may see this as proof that the bible is false, that's not necessarily accurate as the bible doesn't mention specifically what Jews in Egypt were actually doing when they were slaves.

There are, however, no records of the Jews as slaves in Egypt in any other accounts besides the bible, not Egyptian records nor Sumerian nor Babylonian nor Ugaritic, though we have records of them as slaves in Mesopotamia. dating to around 600BC. The first mentions of Jews as slaves in Egypt date to a hundred years /after/ their captivity in Babylon and mentions of Jews, Israelites and Hebrews altogether date only to the 11th century BC at the earliest, spoken of as a curious monolatristic (IE they believed in various gods, but held one god supreme over all others and solely worthy of praise and worship) offshoot of Canaanite/Ugaritic culture (IE Jews ain't nearly as old as they think they are). We know this from Ugaritic written accounts of this divide from the perspective of mainstream Canaanite/Ugaritic society (IE people were writing about the Jews before they were writing about themselves, which only started about four centuries later).
>inb4 autism

Or the owner are old, they retire and the kids don't wanna run it anymore, so they stick their parents in an old folks home, close the restaurant and sell it off to property investors. This has happened to me with this AYCE Polish buffet I used to fucking love, this HK style diner/bakery and a soul food luncheonette. Horrible fucking feels when this happens, man.

>implying futurama isnt the funniest shit ever

Oh, lemme tell ya. Down here in Charleston, South Carolina, for many a decade there was a place called Carey Hilliards. Very big building and the food was fantastic. I'm not sure how to describe the type of food, but I guess it'd be the same kind of menu that Applebees has? A little bit of everything, except everything was delicious instead of, you know, not delicious. I'm not sure why, but one day it just closed down. It was about the time the economy started tanking and gas prices were steadily climbing, so maybe that had something to do with it, but you talk to most natives around these parts and you'll hear fond memories of Carey Hilliards. The restaurants that have replaced it have even used lines like "located in the old Carey Hilliard's building." Incredible shame, I had decided long ago that I'd use any lottery money won to bringing it back.

Law students are the scum of the Earth. But as an engineering student, I can say that this is usually how my classes are too.

Can you explain to me why Law students can't stop sucking John Locke's cock for 15 seconds?

It frustrates the hell out of me when trying to talk philosophy. So many are some of the most single minded dumbshits I've ever come across.

>I've met 3 law students and they were all part of the same clique
this is what I can't stand about you young people, you make wild assumptions about huge populations of people based on very limited experiences
>why don't britbongs like salted butter? I met an exchange student who said he hated salted butter, why are ALL FOREIGNERS so weird about salt and butter?
>my sister is vegan, why do girls hate meat? furthermore why are all vegans EVERYWHERE 5'4", blonde, and shop at anthropologie?
>one time I met a middle aged salesman and he said he likes his scotch blended with ice, why do all people EVERYWHERE over the age of 30 exclusively drink johnny walker with ice, and no other beverages, ever?

I'm 26 and spend my life traveling living in my van.
Try again, faggot.

A van with no windows right?

26 is still childhood

Because the legal system is actually founded upon the social contract.

And you can't get out of it senpai, not without leaving

>USA! USA! USA!

Landlord disputes are the worst.
- restaurant rents hole-in-the-wall place for dirt cheap
- gets popular
- starts making good profit
- landlord sees popularity, tries to raise rent
- restaurant refuses

Happened to a local cafe. The property owner tried to triple their rent and they just couldn't afford it, so they shut down.

>triple their rent
>cafe goes out of business

Increasing the rent by 20-30% because you gave them cheap rent in the beginning, and your rentee is doing well is one thing, but wow.
What on earth did he think was going to happen?

its the american capitalist dream. either get 300% more money for the same building and doing nothing or get the power trip of crushing a successful business.

same guy probably regularly eats at mcdonalds just so he can talk shit to the cashier and tell them to get a real job like him a successful guy who owns buildings his daddy gave him money to buy.

I am not a lawyer, I just work with one. It's called the Americans with Disabilities act. It's not new, and my life would be so much easier if dipshits stopped acting like twenty year old laws just blindsided them out of no where.

Shit, I live a little down south and totally know of this guy.

Nah, you don't understand, man. I am super agitated by fuckers being dicks about wheelchair access and shit, before anything else, but he's a weird reverse-ambulance chaser.

He'll find mom-and-pop places, literal roadside stands, and try to find minor violation after minor violation and then offers them an out of court settlement.

He's a colossal bitch.

How exactly does it create a problem for yelp to have a restaurant receive 1 star reviews? The nerve of them to tell a business "we will remove your listing if you keep this up" as if they cared.

I don't share the view of yelp "having businesses hostage" all they have to do is not give a fuck, they only give yelp power by catering to them and paying for shit.

>wheelchair access
>petty shit

its what is referred to as the cost of doing business. Some restaurants think they're the shit because their costumers think they're the shit and the law doesn't apply to them.

ADA has done amazing things in the USA, I wish we had ADA in Europe, if you've ever used a wheel chair even if you didn't need one and attempted to get around your city, trust me, you're gonna have a fucking hard time.

All he had to have done was add a wheel chair ramp, doesn't require permanent modification to the structure, they can be purchased and deployed according to location. So the dude is either lying and closed down for other reasons, or he felt he didn't have to deal with such petty shit as running a business to the public.

This. Canada pretty much is a liberal version of usa. Minus a few food chains.

pretty sure you can also do it on mobile, he's just dumb

weird i come from an eng school thats the butt of everyones jokes and yet we keep civil in class at least, unlike the business and liberal arts students.

You don't get it those scumbags don't ask or notify they just sue

>tfw my wheelchair-bound uncle works with businesses to make them more wheelchair accessible.

Your guy sounds like an enormous goddamn cunt, I hope his fucking ostomy pouch breaks.

A lot of commercial landlords take a set percentage of profits spelled out in the lease.

>live in Smyrna, Georgia
>local restaurant called Howard's
>fucking amazing restaurant
>magnificent food, owners actually give a shit
>eat there at least twice a month for as long as I've been alive
>come summer of 2014
>place just closes down, out of fucking nowhere
>get super pissed, investigate
>they closed because the owners wanted to do something else besides own a restaurant

Just fuck my shit up, Veeky Forums.

>mfw I'm in law school
>mfw I'm not sure what I should go into
>mfw this thread
I realize now my life's calling is to harass entitled business owners who think that they're personally responsible for ensuring that disabled people should stay in assisted living facilities instead of going outside like everyone else

If you're in a line of business that caters to the public, and you can't do that, then you deserve to go out of business and make room for someone who can

>be american
>get sued

jej

In America, the lawsuit is our substitute for having a legal system that actually protects consumers.

Unfortunately in the last few decades, corporations have started to figure out that they can weasel their way out of the most basic responsibilities, by doing 2 things:
1. Inserting arbitration clauses into every little bit of fine print, so that you can't even get say, a bank account or phone service without agreeing to waive all your rights, and
2. Cherry-picking obscure and rare incidents that supposedly demonstrate that the legal system is saturated with frivolous lawsuits, in an effort to make lawsuits difficult or impossible

Corporate impunity is the logical end result. It's how America gets to the point where many people genuinely believe that spray-dried dairy byproducts mixed with cellulose is the same as PDO Parmigiano-Reggiano, and it's every corporation's god-given right to poison the water supply for an entire state in the name of short-term share performance.

Don't believe the hype. Lawsuits are an imperfect solution to a flawed system, but getting rid of them without a properly functioning regulatory structure is a terrible idea.

2002 Toyota sienna.

So. Many. Cup Holders.

thats not the law profession, thats young kids in general. Let me guess, you took a few years off before going to law school? Me too, but i needed one year of undergraduate before that. Its all autists all the time.

paralegal student here

what is it about the study of law that makes students feel they're entitled to interrupt the professor and argue why he or she is wrong all the time? is it because they think the profession comes with a lot of arguing, so they need to constantly do it?

I went back to school after realizing I fucked myself with a shitty degree, and I come back to all these fucks who shit themselves and interrupt the professor's teaching time to try and debate why they should have gotten an A on their midterm. I was taught that you go to school to learn what you don't know, not to assume you already know it and throw a fit if an expert in the field says you're wrong.

>owner lists his business on yelp
>yelp bothers the shit out of the owner:
>if you do x, we'll feature better reviews up front on your page so customers see them first
>if you do x, we'll feature you as a "people also reviewed..." on your competitor's yelp page
>if you do x, we'll better monitor your reviews page for spam or clearly-trolling reviews
>if you DON'T do any of that, negative reviews will be featured first, your competitors will be featured on your page, etc. etc.

it seems like that's what the owner was getting at with the "I won't be blackmailed by Yelp" thing. it doesn't hurt yelp, it's just making a point that he's not going to play their game and let them pretend they're in the business of being fair and unbiased. and it gets him better business.

>sandwich restaurant in town
>started as a little shop in a Plaza
>business gets even better
>expanding, now it's the size of 3 of the Plaza stores
>owner is a total bro, place has great food, huge portions at good prices
>2 years pass, business is doing even better, owner bought a property in town and opened a second store
>both restaurants doing great, tons of traffic
>owner decides he wants to retire, puts the business up for sale
>some dude buys it, completely changes the name, theme, menu and all the staff get switched out
>shitty, low tier food, shit portions and almost twice the price
>new owner is a total douche, only pays minimum wage

Needless to say I'm butthurt, I hate seeing something good get "fixed" into something shitty

No, just dumb user.

I hate it when that shit happens.

There was this really nice little pizza place near where I used to work. It was open for a few years and they had a wood fired pizza oven that you could sit in the restaurant and watch as they prepared everything and stuck it in the oven. They made some really awesome pizzas and the chef/owner was a total bro, would come out and talk to people when he wasn't super busy. He even got to know me and a couple of my co-workers by name since we used to go to lunch there once or twice every week.

Then he apparently decided he wanted to close up shop and move somewhere else to open a new restaurant so he sold the business off to some other douchnozzle. Dude came in, fired all the existing staff and hired a bunch of retarded mexicans and high school kids, completely changed the menu, started using shit tier ingredients and it was just never the same.

The place ended up going out of business a couple months later and someone else bought it and turned it into this shitty yuppie wine bar.

Did the new place have soapy water pitchers too?

>tfw waterfag and the one thing I'm going to drink there has that fucking residual taste

Not that I noticed. I normally get iced tea and it didn't taste soapy. The tea was watery and weak as fuck though, whoever made it had no idea what the fuck they were doing. And the idiot waitress looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language when I asked her for some lime wedges for my tea.

>local gyro restaurant
>its run by two old Greek couple
>first time i ever tried a gyro is at their restaurant
>they gave it to me for free
>go there at least once a day while i was going to college
>get to know them
>business starts to die down to the point where they struggle to keep the store open every month
>husband dies
>wife couldn't run the business on her own
>she closes up shop and sells the place to move back to greece
>before it closes, since i was their only consistent customer she gave me basically all the left over food
it was a damn good gyro place, no other gyro place in town has matched it since

>purchased and deployed
Nope. At least one business has gotten sued under ADA because the owner had a ramp that you had to ask them to get out.

>favourite place to get lunch, like ever
>one of those Chinese places where you get a plate and pile it as high as you can with whatever you want for like 7.50 (aus), run by a family
>best fried chicken I've ever eaten by far
>fantastic pork belly and potato dish
>eat there every week or two, at least
>always go with my girlfriend and the lady who works the counter knows us
>always like "special for you, $6"
>always get two plates, one stacked with chicken, one with the pork belly dish and rice
>closes down
>area being redeveloped
>consider contacting landlord to find out how to contact them so I can ask if they're reopening anywhere

Feels bad man. Feels real bad.

I used to have a chinese place like this in my old neighborhood. Nothing fancy, but delicious and the owners always gave me free shit inexplicably. One time I ordered fried rice and the guy came out and gave me a goddamm peking duck. It wasn't even on the menu.

I miss you, suburban chinese place that got replaced by a Container Store ;_;

>you had to ask them to get out
If it ain't there 24/7 it doesn't exist, he didn't have a ramp.

I want to be a lawyer holy kek but this is fucking hilarious

He's in a wheelchair, he can't defend himself. Just throw him off the Golden Gate bridge

>Chinese takeout place right next to my work
>~$5 lunch specials
>Lunch specials are packed in those 3 compartment containers HEAPING full
>Windows so you could see back into the kitchen, everything is clean and tidy
>Owner walks me back there one day, shows me they're using ridiculously nice looking flank steak for most of their beef dishes
>Closed due to "rising rent"

It seemed like they just weren't charging enough. I would've gladly paid twice for the amount/quality of food they gave in those lunch specials, it was 3 generous meals easy and EVERYTHING tasted fresh and delicious always. Their General Gao's and sesame beef were insanely good. It's been like 7ish years since they closed and I still miss it.

Happened to me. Amazing Cajun place here, but in a shitty location. They closed the road down that it was located on for a month for fucking construction. No customers could come in unless they parked 3 blocks away and walked there.

This happened to me, there was this neighborhood bar/restaurant near me, nothing fancy, it was basically a shitty small bar with tables.

>owner puts incredible care to get the best ingredients
>small menu but everything is delicious
>occasionally he has out of menu stuff, all top notch
>literally 5 min from my home
>closes the bar because of debt issues

Fuck my life.

A gyro a day? are your entrails made of fucking lead?

Replying to old post just because.
Black lawyer in wheelchair? I've met the guy a few times, it's I think a decent portion of how he makes his money. Put his kid or kids through private school that way, I never interacted with them.

there's more than gyros at the gyro place

go back to re,ddit, fuaggot