GMO Food

Liberals distrust Monsanto because they make GMOs. Recently, a Trump supporter had a maths professor removed from a flight for doing suspicious equations. Why do so many people on both sides hate science? In a blind taste test, it was proven that you can't tell the difference between a normal GMO tomato, and a hippie "heirloom" tomato.

Let's have a thread about the good things science has done for food.

Other urls found in this thread:

washingtonpost.com/news/rampage/wp/2016/05/07/ivy-league-economist-interrogated-for-doing-math-on-american-airlines-flight/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>a Trump supporter
lol

Nice bait.

I'm seriously considering using vegan and gmo threads for Ito dumping.

I like to think it helped to remove the LOL threads cancer from /v/. Maybe it'll work here too

>being familiar with /v/
no user, you are the cancer

>trump supporter
>suspicious equations
pls post sauce user

washingtonpost.com/news/rampage/wp/2016/05/07/ivy-league-economist-interrogated-for-doing-math-on-american-airlines-flight/

>Liberals distrust Monsanto because they make GMOs.

I don't distrust Monsanto because they make GMOs, I distrust Monsanto because they sue countries every week for not wanting to use their cancer-causing pesticide, pack the FDA with their employees, and disingenuously sabotage research into the effects of their products on the environment.

If the truth is on their side, they sure are going to a lot of trouble to prevent anyone finding the truth. You don't have to be anti-GMO to be anti-Monsanto.

This, gmos are great imo, but monsanto as a company are most definitely not.

This desu.

Anti-GMOfags are annoying as fuck but Monsanto is a shitty corporation. Plus I'm pretty sure they try to sue farmers whose non-Monsanto fields get cross-pollinated by Monsanto fields since the pollination now left the formerly "natural" plants with DNA patterns "owned" by Monsanto.

Fuck those guys.

>monsanto is scary hurr hurr
You realize without science you can't even post your shitposts?

This. It isn't the process, it is who is doing the process that I don't like.

Did you read our posts you shill?

Just tell Dan in legal to chill and we'll go back to not caring anymore.

You don't need science to hate Monsanto. Shit corporation responsible for shit food and so cozy with the federal government that they get not only get huge subsidies but policy and laws passed in their favor. You could believe GMOs are safe as milk and still hate Monsanto on principle alone because they operate in a manner that defies free markets and any sense of fair play.

This. GMOs in and of themselves are fine, and potentially a huge boon to humanity. What companies like Monsanto do with the technology, however, is not. To say nothing of how incredibly unethical their behavior is in general.

Go to america for a summer job. Buy some tomatoes and veggies for a salad. They taste like rubber or have no tases.
yea im not falling for the GMO meme.
And the question about Monsanto owning your ass when you plat GMO seeds is another question.

Those were not GMO.

so all your veggies tastes like shit. That's realy sad.

Jenny McCarthy pls go

who?

And for the non americans here, that article shouldn't shock you, that is real murica right there.

>how incredibly unethical their behavior is in general.
Which is why I even doubt the safety of GMOs. The science is sound, and could make safe or unsafe food depending on how it's used. But Monsanto is so fucking crooked and so entrenched in the government that they could get the FDA to approve poison. They've done it before. Poison is pretty much their main business.

To be fair, he was probably using a few Arabic numerals.

>Which is why I even doubt the safety of GMOs. The science is sound, and could make safe or unsafe food depending on how it's used. But Monsanto is so fucking crooked and so entrenched in the government that they could get the FDA to approve poison. They've done it before. Poison is pretty much their main business.

that's a pretty weird view of a big ag company, I don't love them but they're a company like any other, they chase the profit where ever they can find it through all the legal ways they have available to them, they can sue whoever they want just like you can.

round up resistant corn and soya is truly one of the biggest human innovations and achievements of history. just think about it for a second you can literally plant corn for miles and you only need a handful of workers to get over 150 bushels of field corn per acre.

It is a thing of beauty.

>Trump supporter
Likely she was a Bernie or Hillary supporting liberal. Those are the ones who typically are afraid of everything.

>equations
kek

I'm totally going to blow up this plane. I just need to work out the synthesis for an explosive that I can make with my in-flight lunch and whatever I can scavenge in the bathroom

>economics equations

Shit, I think I just solved world hunger

>start over

>they chase the profit where ever they can find it through all the legal ways they have available to them
But when presidential candidates and those determining policy and laws are former members of your board the rules tend to get written in your favor.
>It is a thing of beauty.
As a trained Environmental Scientist I could point out the downsides of momoculture and the downsides of having your entire food supply dependent on such heavy petrochemical inputs and producing food in such a polluting manner. In terms of Agricultural Economics it's a thing of beauty for the big players. On many other levels it's disturbing as hell.

>Successful people rise to positions of power and use their worldview and partnerships to forge new policies
>bawww they need to check their privilege and gib me monies

Shut the fuck up Bernie.

You mean regular numbers?

>Hillary supporting liberal
wtf are you talking about?! Hillary was on Monsanto's board!

Muslims invented algebra

And universities.

I hate monsanto because of their abuse of copyright laws. I have no issue with GMOs.

>a spokesman for American Airlines (whose regional partner Air Wisconsin operated the flight), said the
WIDF at work, banning your math

>The science is sound
The science that shows it's safe over a long period of time? Seems to me that's a bit hard to prove even if you're neutral. But 99% of the product testing is done by someone with a massive conflict of interest. It's based on the honor system, and we all know how well that worked on the tobacco industry.

and now they're mudmen living in caves because they've destroyed their own culture with infighting.

>Arabic numerals are the only numerals

Vacca foeta

Stop using science as a word that is synonymous with religion.

I don't think people claim to hate GMO because they taste different

There haven't been long term studies because these things haven't existed for a long time. Plenty of shit makes the FDA list as GRAS but turns out to be sketchy, or downright dangerous.

When large amounts of money are being made by a company that gets to write it's own regulation it's legit to be suspicious about whether the consumers' best interests are guiding principles. Because history shows that's rarely the case. Monsanto has sold products to the public that were supposedly safe before, then turned out not to be. DDT and PCB's leap to mind.

Monsanto is responsible for the creation of many Superfund sites. And Agent Orange. Not a trustworthy corporate citizen in my view.

The difference is I can see your hysterical, superstitious shitposting. I can't see your chakra or whatever woo-woo hippie bullshit you believe in.

There is no point in discussing this here. We have had this thread 5000 times and we will have it 5000 times more, each ending the same way. I'm a biochemist and a bioinformatician. I could tell you the pro's and con's of GMOs, I could tell you that you have most likely already ingested GMO's whether you believe it or not, but the fact of the matter is that this thread will end like all other threads before it and it would be a colossal waste of time. Good day.

Kill yourself OP.

>as you can see from my affectations of superior aloofness, I definitely do not care and do not wish to participate in this discussion, kind of like I'm doing now OOPS!
if you reply to me, it proves GMO is evil

I think his point was that "science" can't really just be used as a blanket term like "religion", because while there are many religions they can all be attributed to being based on faith and the individual, while science is so broad in origin, type, result and field that you can't just say "without science you couldn't X."

Agricultural science doesn't help you shitpost, for example.

Also scientific "truth" is not absolute - it changes as we learn new things. Religion claims absolute truth.

that too, I guess.
I don't wanna go full fedora on anyone but science and religion are not interchangeable as nouns, even with the big role organised religion has had on the advancement of science throughout history.

Many great scientists have been religious. There is no dichotomy between science and religion. The only reason they ever come into conflict is because sometimes religion offers answers to scientific questions and gets them wrong. Beyond that they are two unrelated fields of endeavor.

>mfw not a single anti-GMOfag has mentioned that Monsanto is the company responsible for making Napalm used during the Vietnam War

Honestly, liberals should just stop watching tv so that they won't be rused by the flavor-of-the-month social issues

>“What might prevent an epidemic of paranoia? It is hard not to recognize in this incident, the ethos of [Donald] Trump’s voting base,” he wrote.

They just had to put this little gem in there.