"School lunches aren't that bad"

>"School lunches aren't that bad"

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kompot)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golabki)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kissel)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Oh god what the fuck is that and why is it pretending to be a pizza?

My school had decent lunches
but then again I went to a surburan school and I was one of those kids they bussed in from the city so I thought it was better than what I was getting at home

Fuck. I wouldn't even feed that to a homeless person.

It's just a stock image I found on Google.

It looks like they mixed oatmeal with the cheese to stretch it out

It looks like the shit they sell in New York

I was skinny kid until I had enough disposable income to buy non-school lunches since before that I only ate the fruit, vegetable, and straight meat entries.

speaking of school lunch pizzas my elementary school used to offer this thing once a week, it's about as crappy as you'd expect but you bet we lined up for that shit

>tfw made USDA school cafeteria pizza from 80s-00s

still bretty good after all these years desu senpai

Wow. I'm guessing the recipe is googleable?
At my elementary school we were given the choice of that any day or whatever was on the menu.

I used to eat something like that in grade school in the 60s and it was godly

MY NIGGA

that actually looks really good. Is internet lie about school food?

i don't know why, but that looks really good

Back in my day school pizza was a piece of French bread with ketchup and a couple slices of American cheese on it. You goddamn kids don't know how good you have it.

Did they use oatmeal instead of cheese? Is this some kind of strange vegan thing?

Go to bed grandpa

It was pretty much exactly how I remembered it tastes. Heat the leftovers in a pan with a bit of olive oil and it's pretty fucking amazing.

Ingredients

scant 2 tsp (6 g) active dry yeast
2 2/3 c (317 g) all purpose flour
3/4 c (52 g) nonfat dry milk powder
2 Tbs + 1 1/4 tsp (34 g) granulated sugar
1/4 tsp (3 g) salt
1 1/4 tsp (6 g) vegetable oil
scant 1 2/3 c (384 g) warm water
16 oz part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
2 c prepared pizza sauce
22 slices (40 g / 1.4 oz) pepperoni, minced

1. Preheat your oven to 475 degrees. Spray a half-sized sheet pan (18″ x 13″) with cooking spray and set aside.
2. In a medium sized bowl, stir together the yeast, flour, milk powder, sugar, and salt. Add the oil and stir to combine.
3. Add the warm water and stir until a thick batter forms. Spread the batter into the greased sheet pan and let the pan sit for 20-30 minutes.
4. Bake the crust in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes. The crust will probably pull away from the edges of the pan, and that’s fine too.
5. When the crust comes out of the oven, sprinkle on 4 ounces of the shredded cheese. Spread the pizza sauce over the cheese, leaving a bit of crust showing around the edges. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and the minced pepperoni.
6. Bake the pizza for 12 minutes, until the cheese is melty and the edges are browned. Let the pizza sit 5-10 minutes before slicing into rectangles, two rows of 5 rectangles each.

i ate this shit all the time in the 90s, way better than the pizza they replaced it with honestly. i'm trying that recipe because fucklordnostalgia.gif

This sounds really, really good. I think I'll make it for a potluck my wife is hosting next week. A little nervous about meeting her boyfriend's family.

>school is responsible for feeding the children
I never understood this. Here in Australia you bring your own lunch, and that works really well.

0/10
Apply yourself.

>tfw the school cafeteria gave you and some other kids a pb&j grahm cracker sandwich because they didn't heat up enough pizza on pizza friday

>tfw 5 minutes before lunch was over, the cafeteria ladies came out with stacks of freshly baked pizza square slices

>tfw they encourage you to eat more than the government allotted slice per student

Life is fleeting

>went to a middle class public elementary school in the early 90s
>lunch was actually made by volunteers
>mfw we had spaghetti day which was made by real fucking massive meatballs

I meant made with. Still, the spaghetti is something I still remember fondly after all of these years.

> ITT people post pics of meals from 12-star Michelin restaurants and claim it’s what they ate in elementary school, followed by pics of literal shit and claim it’s American school food

>be in elementary school (K-7)
>have pizza day every other month, sponsored by Little Caesar's
>one day the pizza did not come in time for lunch
>"don't worry it'll come!"
>everyone goes outside for their lunch break
>still no pizza
>dozens if not hundreds of students stage what I can only describe as a sit-in since the teachers keep promising pizza
>eventually, Little Caesar's shows up
>not everyone got the pizza they ordered, I did

What's wrong with packing?

>TFW kids loved the shitty cardboard pizza the school served, but pissed and moaned about the GOAT vegetable lasagna because "eww vegetables"

We never got anything like vegetable lasagna. Our vegetables were always either really dry corn or a mushy overboiled mixture of carrots and peas.

I really did hate the pizza, though. Never understood why everyone preferred it. Except for when they did French bread pizza. That was at least edible.

Get back in your wheelchair you geriatric fuuuuck

That was the exact "pizza" they served at my school

lmfao mine too

My mom would just pack me a roast beef sandwich, an apple, and some potato chips.

Sometimes I put it together myself.

is that fucking STUFFED CRUST??

anyway... I started scarfing down my lunch in 2 minutes and going to the library for the rest of the lunch period. HS lunch rooms are a robot torture chamber.

Does anyone else remember the school lunches that came prepacked in foil trays with a cardboard top so you had no idea what you were getting yourself into? Those things were fucking awful.

Or the ones where everything was wrapped in plastic?

Christ what kind of Detroit public school did you go to?

Looks like airplane food here in Brazil.

I still have some plans from primary school lying around as souvenirs. Let me transcribe and translate a sample:

Monday 19 April 1999
>Cauliflower soup
>Pierogi with cottage cheese
>Kompot (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kompot)

Tuesday 20 April 1999
>Sour cabbage soup
>Goulash with barley groats and shredded vegetables
>Kompot

Wednesday 21 April 1999
>Mushroom soup
>Wiener schnitzel with potatoes and shredded vegetables
>Kompot

Thursday 22 April 1999
>Beet borscht
>Meat and rice cabbage rolls in tomato sauce (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golabki)
>Kompot

Friday 23 April 1999
>Tomato soup
>Fish baked in pastry with vegetables
>Kompot

It was pretty good eating.

Jesus fuck, is that what they serve to kids these days? When I was in school we had good stuff. Crispitos, nacho day, corn dogs, macaroni and cheese with ham chunks (that shit was better when they served it on the salad bar the second day because it thickened up), tater tot casserole... uhh... fuck. Cheeseburgers sometimes.

I think the only things I couldn't stand to eat were the meatloaf and the taco meat on taco day.

Oh I left out the desserts from the side of the page:

Monday:
>Apple pastries

Tuesday:
>Waffles with fruit

Wednesday:
>Fruit kisiel (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kissel)

Thursday:
>Cheesecake

Friday:
>Carrot cake

We got tea with those IIRC.

wasn't that the week of columbine?

Carbs and fat

No idea, was it?

It wasn't big news in Poland in any case.

Just checked and yeah, it was.

So I've enjoyed some nice goulash as some kids on a different continent got shot (well, I was probably back home by the time it happened due to the time difference).

that sounds pretty great, where are you from?

for me school lunches were pretty much food gore and garbage until high school, where they had a large selection and some of the food was actually pretty good. this was in the US

Public school in Poland. Overall the food was great throughout my education.

There wasn't really any selection though, everyone got the same stuff on a given day, though there were quite a few different things on rotation without much of a pattern.

No real vegetarian option or anything like that either, Poland hasn't been particularly receptive to that then and I think it still isn't.

No meat on Fridays due to Catholic dietary custom too,

>No meat on Fridays due to Catholic dietary custom too,

catholics are well known for the strength of their school lunch menu lobbyists

Are they really?

In Poland Catholicism is pretty much universal so I didn't reflect on that too much at school in particular. Most Poles don't have meat on Fridays at home either.

Kill yourself Redditor

The schools get paid for the lunch program, some of them even ban kids bringing food to school just to make sure they get that sweet, sweet lunch program funding

Polish bro?

Elementary school:
>Chicken nuggets, the only edible item
>Refried beans and nacho cheese with a bag of doritos, meh
>Pizza Hut, super greasy and somehow stale

Middle school:
>Orange chicken, super sweet and chewy/gummy
>Sub sandwiches, bread almost impossible to chew
>Bean and cheese burritos, the only edible item
>same pizza as before, still gross

High school:
>Sub sandwiches, now 30% chewier than before
>Cups of microwaved Chef Boyardee, I don't even
>Salads that came in a cup to shake the dressing around, surprisingly good
>Burgers, oddly anemic looking so probably soy protein
>Same bean and cheese burritos, still edible 10/10
>same pizza as before, what the fuck is this consistency over 10+ years

>that buttered toast
so many memories were had eating nothing but that delicious, sometimes slightly cardboardy buttered toast and cereal for breakfast in the cafeteria during the assembly before school

It's called poverty, you fuck. Starving kids make dumber adults.

>Bag of doritos
>School
No wonder obesity is a problem for kids in America.

theyre 1oz snack bags of doritos you fucking foreign cuck

>casserole
>not calling it hot dish

Still served with with nacho 'cheese' though

ayyy chicken rings

Good god. Cafeteria food wasn't making us fat. It was sitting mindnumbingly still for 8 hours a day and not wanting to do work at home.

nah the eurotrash has a point, cafeteria food is what influences our eating habits by instilling a sort of stockholm syndrome esque love of sodium bombs like cafeteria pizza with ranch

maybe it wasn't the whole story, but shitty american school diet plays a big part

Constant satiation during development actually indicates to your body that you have ready access to food, causing your genes to tone down traits that are unnecessary in such environments such as creativity and resourcefulness. Check out the behavior of gorillas living in calorie rich environments as opposed to those living in calorie restricted environments, for instance. Or just look at the type of people being produced by the first world today.

This is what's on the menu this week at my kids school:

Monday:
Chicken Alfredo Or
Ham & Cheese Wrap
Green Beans
Cucumber Slices & Dip
Raisins
Mandarin Orange

Tuesday:
Meatball Sub OR Mandarin Chicken
Whipped Potatoes
Glazed Carrots
Chocolate Chip Cookie
Applesauce,
Orange Slice

Wednesday:
Popcorn Chicken OR Grilled Cheese
Potatoes Rounds
Cole Slaw
Banana,
Peaches

Thursday:
BBQ on a Bun OR Turkey Sub Lettuce & Tomato
Oven Fries
Baked Beans
Apple
Fruit Juice

Friday:
Pizza OR Chili Cheese Nacho’s OR Bird dog
Side Salad,
Corn
Pinto Beans
Fruit Variety

Looks like shitty airplane food.

What are you talking about, OP? This is some high quality NYC pizza

My childhood cafeteria food in the 90's was:

Corn dogs
Chicken Nuggets
Spaghetti with garlic bread
Pizza squares
Nacho day
"Hamburgers" (obviously fake meat)
Sloppy Joes
Bean Burritos
Chili

Sides:
Tater-tots
French Fries
Salad
Yogurt
Corn
Bread (white)

Drinks:
Milk
Chocolate Milk
Apple juice (only certain days)

I had some kind of unhealthy obsession with school chicken nuggets. This was odd because my mom always packed me Lunchables.

They were always partially frozen at my school. Same with the tater tots. Never cooked right...

Thanks for crushing my dreams. Anybody remember the standard Thanksgiving lunch?

I always liked the ice cream scooped mashed potatoes with a ladle of yellow liquid fake butter dumped over them.

I remember when they would serve hot pockets for breakfast. And for lunch "real" chocolate milk and amazing pizza. Kinda sucks to see how in a few years things change. When school funding gets cut everyone loses.

>they would serve hot pockets for breakfast.

Your school must've been so ghetto. My school had pancakes and cereal.

From kindergarten to the end of high school I attended 5 schools in 3 states and the food was garbage all over. I got so sick of it that halfway through high school I just stopped eating lunch.

THIS TRIGGERS ME.

>not knowing the date by heart
4/20/1999 never forget it faggot

>all these suburbanites saying how they would refuse to eat that
How can someone be so spoiled?

oh look, greasy ass vomit with pig feces cut in slices

Best food of the year. We also got it the week before winter break too.

Those little blue frozen treats were amazing though, except I never got blue, my entire school district only ever gave out red cherry flavored ones. I didn't even know there were other flavors, what other lies have I been living?

bosco sticks were my jam

It looks like a slice of the underside of carpet

So? You don't have to enjoy it, sometimes you eat something because it's all there is to eat and you have to eat something. If I was hungry and that was handed out to me I'd eat it without complaining, I wouldn't like eating it but I'd eat it regardless.

I didn't eat school lunch for years because I was a picky kid

Were you poor growing up?

Depends on your standards, but I wasn't very poor, and for half my childhood I lived very near my school so I just went home for lunch most of the time. I was very picky too but I'd eat what was given to me if there was nothing else, and shitty pizza is easier to get a kid to eat than good fresh vegetables. It also helps that I never had, and still don't, have any care for presentation when it comes to food, I'll literally eat anything dumped on a plate.

That is the literal definition of cuckoldry.

Assuming you are not simply retarded, no, that is simply being a kid and having no choice over what you get to eat, or in some cases simply being poor and eating what you can afford. Or hell, if you're a soldier it's not like you can complain about the rations you get.

Oh christ I remember this shit.

I loved this shit in 5th grade.

When over 90% of your population declare themselves to be Catholic, it kind of happens automatically.

What were the best potato sides your school had and why was it the crispy dark brown diced potatoes?

>mfw I heard that American School Canteens don't even have a wine list.

When these motherfuckers showed up on the menu you knew lunch was gonna be great.

at my kids school they get donated pizzas from a upscale pizzaria every week. $30 artisan pies these kids eat..

>pyttipanna without onion, meat, eggs and beets
That's awful.

It's what they call a pizza outside of Chicago.