Whisky/Whiskey Thread

I'm buying two bottles of Scotch tomorrow; one I know is Bunnahabhain 12. However I want another Islay whisky, and one which is more heavily peated, for the sake of variety.

I've already tried Ardbeg 10 and liked it, so I'm going to try something new. What should I go for? Recommendations I've heard so far are Bowmore, Laphroaig, and Springbank, within the same price range. (Lagavulin 16 is a bit too pricey.)

ever think about trying a smooth bourbon like basil hayden? Can be just as good as scotch, and its nice to change it up once in awhile.

>Laphroaig
careful with this one it is smokey as FUCKKKK. maybe that is your thing but it definitely isn't mine.

I drink bourbon too, but I have enough of that in the house right now. :) I'm close to finishing a bottle of Knob Creek (pretty good, but maybe too dry from the oak), and in my liquor cabinet I've got some George Dickel No.12 and some Old Grand Dad 114.

Caol Ila is pretty decent.

I concur with the Laphroaig sentiment. The 10 year is a real smoke bomb, like drinking a campfire on a sea-sprayed beach (in a good way), but their other offerings get tamer with age. A scotch documentary I watched suggested pairing Laphroaig with little morsels of seafood, but I don't know about that.

It's also chill-filtered, caramel-colored, and only (IIRC) 86 proof. OP should just stick to Ardbeg, it's delicious and basically the most honest product he could ask for.

how peated? because that Laphy will burn your tongue off with smoke, but Bowmore will be subtler.

maybe try Highland Park, if you dont wanna spend too much, it has a little bit of everything so it helps newbies decide what they like about scotch

Anyone familiar with Japanese whiskeys? I'm quite keen to get my hands on a couple of Suntorys after trying some Hibiki 17 whilst I was out. The price in Britain is just way too steep though, is there a substantial difference between that and the local pricing?

Everyone should try Laphroaig once, it's like they juiced a barbecue.

Anyone who calls whisky "scotch" is a moron and most likely a muh heritage.

Anyone who calls wine "bordeaux" is a moron and most likely a muh heritage.

I've had a few. They're pretty good but I'm not sure why you'd want to spend way more on an imitation of Scotch when you can get a good Scotch single malt more affordably. I wasn't wowed enough by any of the ones I tried to want to buy them again.

Kick it up a notch to Ardbeg Uigeadail/Corryvreckan

You liked Ardbeg 10 so go ahead and do it.

whisky and whiskey are called by their specific names otherwise they would be easily confused you dunce.

irish=/=canadian=/=bourbon=/=scotch

region-specific names

like champagne, bourbon, cognac...

Anyone who calls brandy "cognac" is a moron and most likely a muh heritage.

Try Talisker Storm, fairly cheap at around £30 and quite nicely peated, I do prefer Bowmore 15 but it's a bit more pricey and you'll have to buy it online.

I tried to get into whisky once. I kept reading glowing online reviews of whiskys and their peaty flavour and their smokiness and tried to start driking the stuff straight and at room temperature with no or little water. In the end I concluded that I wasn't interested in sipping a drink that tastes like an irishman's back yard after a fire.

Muh heritage faggots who know fuck all about anything confirmed.

If you want a heavily pleated one it's worth trying out Bruichladdich Port Charlotte. It's probably not that much cheaper than a Lagavulin or decent Ardbeg though.

I dunno, I think the 10 has a chemically aftertaste and isn't nearly as nice as other Isla whiskies.

0/10

I live on Islay. I work in and live almost next to Bruichladdich. My dad has made Ardbeg for about 40 years now

it's always nice seeing threads like this

Springbank isn't Islay you know

whiskey tastes like shit and gives me acid reflux

Do you also not know the difference between rectangles and squares? Do you happen to be retarded?

Midwestern US here, have some Ardbeg Ughadhuxvh(sorry)
It's excellent.
Tell your father thanks.

>Can't spell a favorite whisky
>when it was already spelled out in
>mfw I typed it so much it became an autopredict on my tablet and now I can spell it from memory on the desktop

Tell your dad to keep up the good work with the core lineup but make sure he knows that his boss's special editions are becoming more and more bullshit every year.

Do you work at Bruichladdich distillery? See if you can find out which non-house Islay is the most popular staff favorite there and see if you can pry it out of your dad what non-Ardbeg Islay is the favorite at Ardbeg.

In b4 everyone secretly loves Bunnahabhain.

Or they're hipster Kilchomanfags.

How much is the Ardbeg Auriverdes going for over there?
It's astonishingly good.

Any good scotches that imbue the taste of the ocean in them? Like drinking a can of sardines or something similar of brine.

Laphroaig is good for smokiness but if anything I kind of find that the flavours lack depth compared to the Lagavulin 16yo or even Talisker. Tried an Octomore at a Nant whisky bar (Nant is tremendous if you ever get the chance, even if it is from Tassie) and it was about the smokiest scotch I've ever tried, and the only one where the intensity of the smokiness actually made it slightly less enjoyable than it might otherwise have been.

Talisker is a good place to start.

Had it over a friend's before. It didn't really impress.

>recommended Islay whisky
>Springbank
But that's Campbeltown Scotch whisky.

I've only had a bottle of the Hakushu, which tastes like a Japanese stereotype: very clean and inoffensive.
The taste is easily overpowered if you combine it with a cigar but it does mesh well with the taste of sushi.
I personally prefer something a bit more smokey though.

>tfw poorfag

glad im not the only one who likes OGD 114

With water it's great. Dunno how I feel about the gasoline taste resulting from neat sips.

Mmmmmmmm

I've had Jameson. Compare Redbreast to Jameson for me. Worth the jump in price?

Currently drinking pic related. Really like it. Good for its price.

Protip: do shots and you get fucked up

>he got swept up in the "ardbeg's yearly releases with funny names are worth the money" meme

see

Is it worth it? I'm not really sure. I really like Redbreast, it's leagues better than the standard bottling, but I like the standard bottling too. Enough that I rarely ever find myself willing to shell out for the Redbreast. Then again, Laphroaig is one of my top 3 favorite Scotch single malts and I rarely buy it because of its inflated price tag.

Let's say, it's worth it to have a bottle to savor and enjoy over a long period of time, but it should never be your daily drinker.

I know next to nothing about whiskey but I picked this up a couple weeks ago. I enjoy it, but I figure this would be a great place to learn why I'm a fool for thinking so. Thoughts?

It's good, no doubt, but in my opinion a bit boring. The price is right, but so is the price of Old Pulteney 12, which is usually cheaper where I live. I do like one of their fortified wine cask conditioned offerings. I can't remember if it's the Quinta Ruban or the Lasanta. Whichever one was finished in port wood. I remember people giving me flack for it, probably because they watched a Ralfy review. But I found it to be pretty damn good.

Actually, it might be interesting to find out what you think about it as somebody who isn't familiar with Scotch whiskies. I got into Scotch before I tried any Japanese single malts, so I'm always comparing the Japanese ones to those. And I'm rarely impressed, particularly for the price.

I don't have a whole lot to say aside from that I enjoy it, it's smooth but not so much so that I would take sips without thinking. Whiskey in general is something I have to be in the mood for, so I figured might as well get something good if for those rare indulgences. Had good review online so why not.

What Scotch whiskies would you recommend to someone new to the market?

>What Scotch whiskies would you recommend to someone new to the market?
My first Scotch ever was Glenlivet 12, like many people I imagine. But it will basically tell you whether you like non-peated Scotch, since it hits the right fruity sweet notes which barley whiskys often do.

My first was Glenmorangie 10. You could do a lot worse than that, it's a pretty decent malt. Old Pulteney 12, Highland Park 12, Aberlour 10, Auchentoshan 12, are all good starters. 'Livet 12 and 'Fiddich 15 are decent enough. Talisker 10 if you want to get into peat but don't feel ready for a 'Phroaig/Ardbeg/Laga'.

You could try Monkey Shoulder or Johnnie Walker Black if you'd rather start with a blend.

I'll keep both in mind come next payday. Favorite overall?

I dunno man, different moods strike me. Bourbon tends to be my everyday sipper, but if you measured purely by how quickly I go through the bottles, Glenfiddich's older expressions seem to be my favorite. I like tasting peat, but not being overpowered by it.

>7662810
>>he got swept up in the "ardbeg's yearly releases with funny names are worth the money" meme
No, I am a supervisor at a cocktail bar and try pretty much everything. The Ardbeg Auriverdes was excellent, and the reason I recommended it was because OP mentioned he liked Ardbeg.

It's also not a "funny name". It means Gold & Green, and it's for Rio, not an annual release.

Fail. Was meant for

Glenmorangie 10, Bowmore Legend, Aberlour 10, Glenfiddich 12 aren't that expensive, and are a good entry into this world.

Still got a Hibiki 17 years, bought that bottle like 5 years ago.
Anyone know if that bottle is something worth by now?

Probably get £130 at a push through auction. You're better off drinking it m8

Bowmore and Glenfiddich I can approve of personally, +1 there

About 150€ yeah, drink it, it's wonderful.

People ask for almost 300 USD for a bottle of Hibiki 17 online. It's crazy.

If you like full-bodied, smokey whisky I'd recommend Lagavulin 16. Or Highland Parks are also nice.

The following whiskies are unpeated (not smokey) and I can recommend: Glengoyne 18/21/25 years, Old Pulteney 21, Edradour 10, Balblair 1990, Glendronach 18, Tomintoul 16, Macallan 12/18, Glenfarclas 20/25,