Cooking Mistakes

I recently misidentified some wood I had in my back yard. I thought it was an old peach tree I chopped down, and I used it to smoke some pork for bbq.

After eating the pork, my tongue went numb, my heart started racing, my chest tightened, I had tons of energy, and I had a hard time breathing. The same happened with my wife. She threw up her dinner and felt better. I couldn't make myself throw up and had this shitty sensation for about 2 hours. I had to throw out 5 lbs of meat and 5 green chiles I smoked.

What have you fucked up on lately?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creosote
twitter.com/AnonBabble

sounds like nicotine or something O_O

Was it pine wood perhaps? Pine can be quite nasty when it burns.

Definitely not nicotine. I smoke, and it was nothing like smoking. I thought i was going to make a trip to the hospital. I'm thinking it fucked up electrolyte levels. I took an aspirin as a preventative measure.

It wasn't pine. I have no idea what it was at this point, and I used it up with my Bbq. I didn't realize you could poison yourself this way.

are you european? could have been a yew tree

Sounds like you went into shock.

Are you in an area where pesticides are used/do you spray with pesticides? If not, it might have been a separate plant or animal that did it.

Yew trees and peach trees aren't easy to get mixed up, but agree with this user. If you decide to eat/cook with yew, you're gonna have a bad time.

Was it a cocaine tree?

What kind of wood did you use? From my knowledge and please correct me if I'm wrong, but conifers, elm, eucalyptus, sycamore and amber trees. Someone mentioned yew, but that's only EU and parts of North Africa and parts of Central Asia.

if OP could post some pictures, i'm sure somebody could identify the wood (this is also an unusual and interesting thread)

Pines, yews, bad news!

identifyingwood.jpg

/pol/ is never wrong

kek

I found a chunk left on my side yard actually. Can you identify it?

not euro

I wouldn't think it was pesticides. I don't spray them myself, but I'm sure the tree farm across the street from me does.

aside from living in a climate that doesn't support coca, it was way different than coke. It was like my bronchioles were swelling shut.

that looks like wood

Maybe you should just put less strychnine in your sauce

masterful

looks like an oak especially if that is the leaf next to it

they are loaded with tannins which also have that effect of numbing and desiccating the tounge like an unripe persimmon

If you have ever made acorn flour or heard of the process it takes a very very long time to get that compound out

what part of the states are you in OP?
If you are in the east the leaf on the ground looks like a red oak
any other affiliated shot of a leaf, plant habit, or flowers would really help you narrow it down unless you are good with some faggot saying it was pesticides

also gotta specify there is only certain oak species that have secondary compounds some are obviously good to use

Maybe it was a peach tree

Errrr peach wood is carcinogenic and contains fair amounts of arsenic... Those symptoms point towards arsenic poisoning also, go get yourself checked.

That is an oak leaf, but it's from a nearby tree. The bark is also more gray than the pic makes it out to be. I'm just south of Kansas city.

I think I was right about it being peach, but it may have grown some mold fungus over winter.

So much wrong. There are many places that sell peach wood for smoking.

hahah dumb ass.

Yeah, I was going to suggest that it had moulded. Also nice dubs.

Nice trips/dubs

Bumping this because I want to know what tree OP used. Also share some cooking mistakes

Might be some shrooms growing in the old wooden branches?

sounds like some pretty fucking dank pork desu senpai

We need to see a leaf as well, the bark itself is not an identifying marker.

If it's oak then there's no reason to think the wood is the problem, same with peach. They're both commonly used for smoking and not anymore problematic than other woods given the carcinogenic nature of cooking and meat.

Was the tree growing on an old fence line?

bump because i wanna see a conclusion to this scooby doo mystery

Could it have had ivy or ivy vines on it?

>my tongue went numb, my heart started racing, my chest tightened, I had tons of energy, and I had a hard time breathing
>I smoke

there's your answer. probably cancer.

Maybe try cooking your pork to a reasonable temperature next time dumb ass.

Furthermore, it looks more like wood than anything else looks like wood.

>2016
>not growing their own coke trees

the most perfect use for this image i've ever seen

The wood type may not be relevant here.

Your soil looks like shit, which is an indicator that it is too acidic or alkaline. I recognize that ivy from my old preoperty, and iirc, it thrives in high alkalinities.

So basically, it's a possibility that your soil is fairly toxic. You really should go to a doctor considering you didn't puke it back up like your wife.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creosote

2nd paragraph. You almost overdosed on a historical anesthetic.

It's birch op grey birch

Bravo