Why are people so quick to judge other's food choices?

Why are people so quick to judge other's food choices?

projectava.org/2016/05/05/why-buzzfeeds-people-try-durian-for-the-first-time-is-racist/

Other urls found in this thread:

quora.com/Why-does-racism-against-Asians-go-ignored-and-unpunished-in-the-United-States
youtu.be/jwkccvsj6fc
youtube.com/watch?v=riQh4Qpvxm4
delish.com/food/news/a38906/top-ten-stinky-foods-durian-natto/)
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

So people are racist when they think food smells bad?

Admittedly the country it grows in also smells bad

Yeah, but Americans never say their food that ever smells bad (even though those smells are culturally learned as pleasant or unpleasant), it's only ever asian food that they make comments on or says smell bad. It's insensitive.

"people who eat durian/balut" is a race in the same way "people who are muslim", "people who eat pizza", or "people who watch anime" are their own race.

>they aren't
>muh cultural relativism

I'm just confused. If I microwave a brick of blue cheese and eat it in the office, and someone says it stinks like ass- please take it outside. They're being racist?

so either
>people pretend asian stuff is gross because they're racist

or
>asians, though a wildly varied group culturally, eat all manner of things, including certain things that are objectively gross

Saying someone's food smells bad is a fair point, but making assumptions like it's mostly asians who have smelly food, or saying food from someone's culture is gross is bad. Stereotyping in general makes people less likely to want to share parts of their culture.

No one is saying "their food smells bad", they're saying THIS SPECIFIC DISH smells bad/looks awful or whatever.

>Stereotyping in general makes people less likely to want to share parts of their culture.

Fuck you if you think most people have anything short of high respect for asian cuisine in general, even if they can't stand durian or whatever.

Also consider the following:
>The Singaporean government (among others) bans durian on public transit because it smells like garbage

ain't that some internalized racism

Well that's fine as long as you're not getting called a racist because you don't want them opening up a Durian in the room with you.

Where are you living? Most people here in the US are derogatory towards asian diets even though we have the highest population of asian immigrants. Even most restaurants will water down their menus with Americanized styles of food from their cultural background.

Just think about whether your criticism focuses on the individual or if you're assuming information about them based on stereotypes.

Plenty of Americans feel that way towards any foreign cuisine, be it French (EW FROGS AND SNAILS) or Chinese or middle eastern, it's not racial. Don't tell me that sushi and (americanized, sure but that goes both ways) chinese food isn't in every single goddamn food court in every mall in america.

Have you ever been to an "american" restaurant in Hong Kong or Tokyo or Kuala Lumpur? They are by and large absolute bastardizations of even the simple hamburger/fries formula.

It doesn't matter whether americanized chinese restaurants are in every mall, in those restaurants everything that could possibly be unpleasant to western palettes is removed. Just as it waters down food, it does the same to their culture.

AND THEY DO THE SAME TO OURS, PEOPLE ALTER THINGS TO FIT THE LOCAL DEMOGRAPHIC. This is called cultural exchange, it isn't 1:1 and that's why it's great. No ones culture or food is the unalterable gospel. Any major city in america you can find really authentic asian food from any number of places.

>but gasp flyover land farmers don't like nuthin' cept steak and potatoes so america is racist

How many americans live in and work in Hong Kong due due to immigration? Not many.

America may not be completely racist, but the non-inclusive attitudes towards asian cuisine (not the food that is cooked with western taste in mind) need to go away.

Well sure, I think Joe Farmer is missing out on all the great weird bits that you find in a dim sum place or a korean place, but no one is obligated to like a food, people are entitled to their own tastes. You're the one equating dislike of a food with distaste with them as people. Also what is all this shit anyway? By every single measurable metric, asians are doing better and are more succesful than whites in this country. They are less likely to be a vicitm of crime, less likely to go to jail, have a longer life expectancy, make more, have better jobs, etc etc etc etc Asian Privilege etc.

Privilege also takes into account history though. If you look at America, most of those that have enjoyed economic success in the last 50-60 years have been white. Asians have had to start with a lot less in shorter time, but of course you only see things shortsightedly.

>Most people here in the US are derogatory towards asian diets

>It doesn't matter whether americanized chinese restaurants are in every mall

>PEOPLE SHITTALK ASIAN FOOD
>but theyre eating it all the time
>B-B-BUT IT'S AMERICANIZED

Well yeah, you're eating asian food in america. Why does asian trump american?

Because it erases parts of their culture.

Oh, so you're saying that with the relatively even playing field that is the american economic system, Asians were able to improve their lot? Good for them.

>let's ignore that most asian immigrants came well after muh railroad building and were just rich asians from asia

>asian food has been immutable since the dawn of time and if you alter it you are castrating their culture

>also ignore that if you want genuine asian food, you have only to go to any place in america with a large asian immigrant population and you can go eat it at their restaurants that they themselves have opened

Fast food is dumbed down cuisine of everyone, do you think Bourbon St, Grill is erasing cajun culture?

> pozfeed is racist
Kek stupid leftists eating each other

Their culture is alive and well back in the motherland, isn't it?

It's not just a matter of financial stability but representation of asian-americans in politics and the media where there is severe lack of which. Racism goes a lot deeper than whether or not people are get good jobs.

quora.com/Why-does-racism-against-Asians-go-ignored-and-unpunished-in-the-United-States

This is bullshit. Chinese people have been serving Americanized food for decades, if anything it is their fault that Americans are so used to it. "Foodie" culture is fucking huge in the US nowadays with Americans being more open minded about food than they ever have been. Plenty of Americans are interested in eating real asian cuisine, i don't know why you're crying so much

But Asian food does get unfairly stereotyped as gross when most of it actually tastes good unlike many Northern European cuisines. White Americans are usually of Germanic stock, so they're basically in no position to talk shit about any other peoples' food.

The argument is that the only reason whites get arrested less and make more money (than some other groups) is because they're white, but the fact that Asians get arrested less than whites and make more money pokes a holes in this. So now you bring this "something something history something something, doesn't matter how the world is cus of how it was something something" to move the goal posts to justify your bullshit.

And they're over-represented in the fields of medicine and lT, but you don't see my ass complaining.

Institutional racism includes things like choosing a white student over a more qualified asian student for their university, not just crime rates and income.

Every demographic of any high-paying field suggests that you are fucking wrong.

asians are more likely to graduate college than whites

Who gets more attention and has more influence, medical professionals or politicians and actors?

How do you know they're doing that? Asians are still outcompeting whites then so either Asians are the master race or it's a product of their culture, which you would never admit white continued success and social progress is.
Unless you're talking about affirmative action of which blacks are the most privileged.

>money
>not synonymous with influence in this country

Racism is added weight from every disadvantage, you can't just compare statistics within one area.

Look up how many white actors are Jewish, you'll find almost all of them are. But I doubt you've ever complained about that.
Do you ever complain about the overrepresentation of blacks in sports?
You're also probably one of the idiots who thinks equal representation would be 5% population of Asians being 30-50% of people in politics.
Diversity was a scam.

So basically you don't have anything to back up any of the shit you heard on tumblr.

Most Jewish actors and politicians support those who are trying to solve diversity problems (such as the syrian refugee crisis) rather than the vast majority of Americans who turn their eye to racism, even when it's right in front of them.

asian food appreciation thread, help un-erase culture or something

youtu.be/jwkccvsj6fc

> Jews are trying to solve diversity problems
> not by complaining about their own overrepresentation
> but by wanting to bring in more people who hate whites and whose uptake will do to Europeans what happened to native Americans
okay bud
> vast majority of Americans who turn their eye to racism, even when it's right in front of them.

Oh, I see it, I don't think you do.

Don't fall for the meme that refugees hate Americans and the west, most are just looking for a place to live safely and be able to raise their families safely.

youtube.com/watch?v=riQh4Qpvxm4
Friendly reminder of Jewish "philanthropy"

It's not a meme, I know from experience. It's not a safe place to stay, it's a place to get rich and bully the natives into getting what you want because they're too scared of getting called racist to defend themselves from foreigners racism.

I judge other's food choices a lot. Some people are really bad at choosing food, and that makes them bad.

>quora.com/Why-does-racism-against-Asians-go-ignored-and-unpunished-in-the-United-States

We're over represented because white kids want to skip straight ahead to being CEOs without understanding the products that make them rich.

American educational culture is pretty bizarre, women are discouraged from STEM majors and males are herded into business majors under the guise of working for yourself and being an individual while learning basically nothing useful.

Is it racist for me to say french stinky cheeses are stinky and gross? I get called a pleb which I get but racist?

Are you talking about the natives as in native americans?

There are huge American/British communities in Hong Kong m8

>more qualified asian student

Many colleges use holistic admissions.

Child of a tiger mom with an artificially padded résumé #95240897245 isn't sticking out to any admissions officer.

Not to mention that most elite colleges require interviews. If you're raised by tiger parents, there's a strong chance that you'll flop in the interview.

can you use those as grappling hooks in a pinch?

I was talking about Europeans in Europe there, but the same logic applies to Americans. They have every right to want to defend what they've built and preserves themselves. I don't see anyone telling Turks in Istanbul that they don't have a right to say who gets to come in.

im all for segregating anime watching weebs
thats why the french dont shower
food smell is measurable so if your point is that all food smells gross to other cultures you are wrong
stereotypes are based on facts, people say that blacks eat fried chicken and fruits because thats both what slaves could get their hands on and extremely cheap so even after slavery black people ate mostly that kind of food and to this day low income black houses eat that food, not every low income household eats that, an asian household may eat an entire different cheap meal. As long as you factor who exactly the stereeotype targets then its real, people dont simply come up with british people dont wash their armpits or something like that without any proof

If you google stinky foods half the results are European. No one thinks French cuisine is just soft cheeses and likewise no one thinks Asians all eat durians every day.
(delish.com/food/news/a38906/top-ten-stinky-foods-durian-natto/)

No country should refuse war refugees.

Durian smells like gas.

Pfft fucking mountain climbers appropriating muh asian culture

Most aren't war refugees and any country that wants to should. You either are someone who will benefit or an idiot if you think this mess is going to end well. Europe has essentially said it will take anyone in and is in a sense being colonized. When people realize the danger there it will be too late for a simple solution.

It doesn't erase anything you obnoxious cunt, it makes novel dishes. Panda express didn't make Chinese people forget how to cook the food their parents did, and very very few people think Panda express is authentic Chinese cuisine largely because you cucks won't stop crying about it. I'm a Jew and when I see a gentile/goy restaurant service matzoh ball soup or bagels or brisket and it isn't exactly how my grandma made it, I don't forget the authentic stuff because of their mediocrity.

Jesus fucking Christ

Please tell me this is satire

What would be the point of having someone familiar with durian in the video? The whole point is people reacting to something they have never tried before.

When the war refugees start policing their own populations and weeding out the shitfucks disguising themselves as "war refugees", I'll be completely in favor of letting them in.

But they're not going to do that, are they?

Did you even read the article?

>wanting mud people cultures in white countries
Good riddance m8

>Implying "mud people" food is so much worse than the average white person's cooking
>not realizing how much more vibrant cuisine is when we embrace diversity

No I didn't read the whole whiny rant, nothing other people or buzzfeed did was racist if the comments were about the food alone. I don't like sprats (as a Russian Jew this is unacceptable) and I literally wouldn't kiss my girlfriends that ate it until they brushed their teeth. I can't stand being around stinky foods from my own culture, I am not being racist there so asking my Filipino friend to not eat fucking durian or balut near me would be no different and no more racist. I am not erasing an entire culture because I don't like a dish and don't like smelling it in my apartment every day. My roommate just the other day had bacon that made the whole kitchen smell like oscar meyer wieners so I opened a shitton of windows until it was gone, am I culturally shaming him?

Grow up and stop having the mindset of a self-conscious middle schooler that can't handle the bantz when someone calls matzoh "a giant cracker" or natto "stinky bean turds".

Stereotypes are inherently unfair and inaccurate. When people say LMAO WHITE PPLZ FUD SO BLAND day in and day out they are just as wrong as someone saying MAN THEM CHINKS ONLY EAT FEET FRUIT AND BUGS.

How can you comment on it if you didn't even read it?

>Yeah, but Americans never say their food that ever smells bad
You know how you never notice the smell of your own house, but other people's houses have distinct odours? It's kind of like that.

Basically

Diversity with assimilation is amazing, diversity with a huge ego and hurt feelings is a scam.

Are you the type of person who goes to Ramly Burger or some other street food stall for a burger and then complains that it isn't Western? There are plenty of Western restaurants that cater to expats in Hong Kong.

It used to be a British colony m8

Sounds more like you don't have anything to back up what you learned on /pol/.

CEOs are overpaid monkeys, but let me tell you the colleges of business around the US are filled with just as many nepotistic Pajeets and Li Weis as Brads and Chets.

>tfw you will never eat a delicious starfish on a stick

None of what he said was a /pol/ opinion

I was replying to your comments and opinions and how you think someone not liking your stinky shits erases your culture (hint: it still doesn't).

When you question someone's self-aggrandizing Victim Olympics competition you're immediately branded with the /pol/ boogeyman. It's the nature of things.

Sorry I'm still mad about the chinese guy who took a piss in my coca cola

This is retarded. People will stab coworkers over microwaving fish. There just aren't a lot of fermented smells in what most people would consider "American" cuisine. Anyone who has been in a house canning chowchow for example would say that shit stinks like crazy. Certain cultures focus more on using similar things as a base for their cooking. People who constantly use fish sauce, for example, have that smell come off of the food.

Durian is known to smell bad-- that's seriously what it's known for. And we just had a thread about how it's mostly kids that make fun of other kids for having different food because they are collectivist, picky lil shits.

Buzzfeed is racist, sure, but not because somebody said durian stinks. Buzzfeed is racist for having articles like, "20 questions for white people" and "20 questions for black people" where they frame certain racial qualities as negative (or attribute things to them) such as white people being unable to dance.

>Women are discouraged from STEM majors
Say what? There are tons of programs, scholarships, and hiring bonuses for getting women into the STEM field. Guess what? In countries that are economically prosperous, women are less interested in the STEM fields, and even if they are interested, they are way more likely to become nurses/doctors that work directly with people instead of in labs, as coders, in research, etc. It's almost like there are other factors for job choice besides social pressures once money is more or less out of the equation. Who knew?

he just play joke

>Women are discouraged from STEM majors

Quit it with the racist rhetoric, we're all just humans.

>anno domini 2016
>having skin any color other than that of pure driven snow
>humans
pick one

t. brownskin

who knew Veeky Forums was as racist as /pol/?

>not wanting to smother all of your food with cheese that has been lovingly cared for, nurturing that glorious smell and lovely tenderness of supple darling feet
It like you can't appreciate anything worth appreciating.
And I bet you're racist.

See

So... how does that Viet bitch cut durian so it doesn't stink to high heaven?

And balut was chosen not because it was disgusting, but because it's so far from the modern western palate as to be slightly disconcerting.

I bet you that writer would balk at trying ortolan bunting.

Or hell, Casa Marzu.

I suppose this just goes to show that if I ever get a room mate that makes incredibly stanky food, I just have to make really stanky white food in retaliation.

The best condiment, after all, is another's impotent rage.