Any suggestions for low salt diets? Not trying to cut it out completely, just trying to be a bit healthier in general

Any suggestions for low salt diets? Not trying to cut it out completely, just trying to be a bit healthier in general.

But I don't know how to cook without salt being a main ingredient, or foods in the store that have a lot of salt.

MSG

>I don't know how to cook without salt being a main ingredient

What are you, a horse?

Ok like, I stirfry veggies, always cook meat with salt, have dips and stuff similar that I'm slowly cutting out of my diet, I don't know how to order low salt food when I go out with friends to eat, and a lot of the stuff I buy from the store is salty.

why are you fags always trying to live forever

well I know this might sound weird, but don't add salt when cooking

uh, I mean, generally you just don't buy microwave meals, and don't add salt onto your dishes

Maybe I'm not asking the right question.

How can I cook stuff without it tasting like ass or just bland? I'm not used to foods that don't have heavy seasonings, so what would be some good ways to flavor things without salt? Or I guess get used to more mild flavors?

it's not about living forever, it's about actually being able to live your life without being in constant agony from eating utter shit all the time that causes your organs to start failing, and having tons of fat on your body that makes arthritis cripple you at 50

You will adapt within a week or so to the flavour of food without using much salt. Nowadays, if I eat food with much added salt it tastes horrendously salty to me. Spices are your friend, particularly to begin with, they add plenty of flavour without salt. To begin with, I ended up just putting paprika on everything I ate.

just add salty things like very salty cheese or soy sauce

this, you adapt but you are going to have a horrible time eating anything you dont coock because everything will taste disgusting after

What is the liquid in the picture?

beer

You can offset high sodium with lots of water.

salt isn't unhealthy

You can offset your stupidity by drinking bleach.

it is in the quantity that you find in most food nowadays

probably tomato soup

water

>back in my day food didnt even have salt!

that's literally true, fuckface

the over-consumption of salt is a pretty new phenomenon

Meats that got shipped to the American colonies was salted to hell and back to keep it from rotting in the way

>food didn't have salt
>literally true

yes, because back in those days people were eating high quality meat shipped in from the old world every fucking day.

it's an objective, scientific fact that salt raises blood pressure and puts massive strain on your kidneys, and that your average store bought or fast food meal contains enough salt that with regular consumption you'll be hooked up to a fucking dialysis machine by your 50's if you haven't had a stroke

>objective, scientific fact
I don't think you know what these words mean, and you only repeat them like a parrot because you know that's how you get people to stop telling you you're wrong

but you are wrong. You are dead wrong. If you were right? You'd have a single source to back that ass up, but you don't. I'll bet you think diet soda causes cancer.

protip: drink more water

Learn to use spices, herbs and texture to your advantage. Salty is one of several tastes, unsalted food only tastes bland if nothing remains once you remove the salt.

>puts massive strain on your kidneys

How's that hyperbole treating you, user?

I've had to do the same for health reasons. It sucks for a little bit, but your palate will start to change. Cook at home more, don't do any microwave meals for awhile, lay off junk food. Try to avoid going back to your favorite recipes, that's where you'll notice the lack of salt more, try learning and cooking some new healthy dishes. Experiment with other herbs and spices to liven things up, it'll help you become a more robust cook in general. Also check your local library, there's bound to be dozens of heart-healthy cookbooks, start with one of those.

I thought flat-earthers were as dumb as it got. I had no idea there were people who denied the link between sodium and blood pressure/heart disease.

we get it, you also think your doctor is trying to fit you with a tracking microchip when he says he needs to give you a vaccination.

you can just hop on over to google for a quick search of "sodium blood pressure kidneys" but I guess the google new world order elites are just trying to stop you from getting the necessary salt crystals you need to fight back their telepathic drones

There were 2 studies done like 1 or 2 years ago that claimed that low-sodium diets (6000). The science was pretty piss-poor though iirc (literally, because they estimated total dietary sodium intake by measuring sodium excretion in piss at one point in time)

Even then, those studies did not dispute that sodium increases blood pressure, they merely argued that low-sodium diets cause other health problems while still improving blood pressure.

It's putting massive strain on my kidneys

Just use fresh ingredients instead of prepackaged. You'll pretty much be on a low-sodium diet just by doing that alone. At that point it almost doesn't matter how much salt you add because it's hard to add as much as comes in those canned and frozen products.

I mean, you should still moderate the salt you add when you cook, but I wouldn't obsess over it.

If you feel like it's not enough, you'll just kind of have to retrain your palate a bit. Salt is there not to be a flavor, but to help bring out the flavors of your ingredients. Very few foods should TASTE salty.

trying too hard

>yes, because back in those days people were eating high quality meat shipped in from the old world every fucking day.
whats your point?

pretty ironic that you're calling people dumb when you're being just as single-minded
>salt bad!!! no salt ever!!! bad!!!

You're arguing with strawmen. There's a difference between low sodium and no sodium, and OP specifically asks for low-salt diet tips.

>but I guess the google new world order elites are just trying feed you with the crystalline jew
At least that's what it looks like from the opposing perspective.

Soy sauce and vegeta

Don't eat american food, it's either sugar or salt

Use less salt, more herbs and spices.

Stop eating shitty processed foods, fast food, etc.

Nobody says no salt. It's always low salt, dumbass.

Do you not understand the difference between none and little?

Actually it's not the greatest idea to do that. Your kidneys get overloaded and yes, it does use the water to get rid of the excess salt, but it also gets rid of calcium when you pee. Your kidneys also have to work much harder when you too much salt no matter how much water you drink.

It may not effect you right away, but later in life it sucks, especially if you're already prone to things like osteoporosis.

OP here. Thanks for the info from anons that were trying to help, I'll start trying the suggested.

Any spices in particular that I could use through a variety of foods? Veggies is my biggest problem. I honestly don't know how to cook good veggies.

Start with the MSG suggestion. You get a lot more flavor per mg of sodium that way.

due to a lot of health issues my dad's on a low salt diet. My best advice is learn how to cook without it, check the contents of stuff when shopping and avoid boxed meals. Learn to make your own sauces with spices, vinegar and low sodium Worcestershire.

Depends on the veggie and prep. A little lemon juice can pep up steamed broccoli, parsley and thyme helps roasted carrots, some pepper and a (very tiny amount) of salt can help corn and green beans saute into a side of succotash. There are some charts that have advice for flavoring all different kinds of vegetables, you can do some googling to turn them up.

garlic, spring onion, ginger for asian foods

itt: people who dont drink water or exercise being deathly afraid of salt

You dumb, boy. Not smart at all.

how does that cognitive dissonance feel? gonna keep taking the easy way out for the rest of your short life?

Hmm.

got a stick blender? make yourself some soup from veggies

now, you'll need to add a pinch of salt to the pot because otherwise the soup will taste like shit, but it's very, very little and spreads throughout a minimum of about 4 portions of soup.

some of my favourite veggie soups are leek and potato, pea and mint, spiced carrot and lentil. there's tons you can make, just look up a few highly rated recipes online.

aside from soups, just give vegetables a go, if you start cooking for yourself (ideally) on a daily basis, you're just naturally going to encounter a lot of vegetables and you'll get used to them and discover that actually properly prepared veggies taste good.

here's what's gonna ruin your kidneys: guzzling caffeine, not staying hydrated, and not exercising your body

fretting about food on a level that borders an EATING DISORDER is only going to lead you further down an unhealthy path

>sprinkling less salt in your dish
>eating disorder

it's not an eating disorder when you get told by your doctor to reduce the amount of salt you eat.

instead of dropping salt off your diet or using lots of it, why not use less than you are used to?

don't eat premade, processed food and you won't have to worry about salt

I think you're salty enough for everyone here.

Try using potasium salt user, the taste is not the same but it does the job (it might be dangerous for you if you have kidney problems)

Stop adding salt to everything.

cut down on sugar fatman
cut out all hfcs

But how does the most successful country have the worst food?

Bland preparation of fresh foods is what is going to help you cut out salt.

Boiling meats in plain water is a good start. Fresh veggies typically arent going to have sodium in them since they arent being preserved. Fruits are low sodium. You can usually buy unsalted nuts.

Canned veggies come in low.no sodium varieties, just read labels user.

Consult a registered/professional nutritionist/dietician.

don't use salt when cooking? I don't understand this thread

whenever a recipe calls for salt I either omit it completely or add something else (unless it is used in the cooking process like adding salt to boiling pasta).

Also don't forget about vinegar.

Yuck

You do if you're in the habit of adding just as much to your home cooking, as some people are.