Been working here for one week and already i have questions for the public

been working here for one week and already i have questions for the public

1. Why do half the people who come in act like they've never been in a restaurant in their life and need e v e r y t h i n g explained

2. Why do so many people order a burger with absolutely no toppings? Half the reason our prices are higher than most places is so you don't have to pay extra for WHATEVER YOU WANT ON IT

3. Who. The. FUCK. Pays $5 for a hot dog. ESPECIALLY one where they request NOTHING on it. We have fucking bacon, cheese, tomatos, hot sauce, what the fuck man.

Other urls found in this thread:

fastfoodmenuprices.com/five-guys-prices/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

are there insider tricks? Like any meal combos you cant recommend

>Why do first time customers not understand the concept of the store and memorize topping combinations?

No, that's an in-n-out thing

More like why don't first time customers read the menu for 5 seconds before asking something that is blatantly spelled out

The concept of ordering a burger with toppings is not a new or complicated one to anyone, as much as you were hoping that a dismissive tone would prove me wrong

you make your own combinations at five guys you flyover fuck

Have you ever been in a Five Guys before?
There's no "topping combinations."
It's the exact opposite. You fucking stupid?

To answer your question OP, it's because people want to waste your time.

Having like 20 different toppings there's at least 20! different topping combinations. If you have never been there before the realistic option is either A: Read the in store instruction, sit down and make a considered choice before going to order, B: Just go for all the way or nothing, or C: Ask the cashier what the alternatives and slow down the line. Most people would go for alternative b or c because the first time going in you're likely not aware that the toppings are free and it's expected that you pick several of them.

>because the first time going in you're likely not aware that the toppings are free

>paying $5 for one plain hot dog when you can get 12 from the grocery store

OP where do you live? I'm assuming california.

>flyover
Here in Michigan, we have good local burger places that you don't even have in whatever faggot state you're from

Five Guys is considered a meme for trendy plebians and rubes

what are you even arguing

a momentary glance at the menu shows that there's a fuckton of toppings, you choose your own, and they're all free. it was designed for that exact purpose.

people needing an entire conversation to have this explained to them are worthy of ridicule

>4.39 for a hamburger

Why do people constantly talk about how 5 Guys is overpriced and you have to spend over $10 to eat there? That's a completely normal price for a burger, and with all the toppings you want for no extra charge it seems like a deal.

>ESPECIALLY one where they request NOTHING on it.

I do this to judge the quality of the sausage, but I also order another with everything or whatever the special* is.

*And by 'special' I just mean what people do regionally or whatever I can find out about the restaurant ahead of time. Like ordering a burger "animal style" or "you must try the chili dog" or "ketchup is frowned upon and/or not recommended".

I don't think they could have made a simpler menu. If people can't understand it then they're probably mouth breathing retards who shouldn't procreate

Is it even worth getting the large fries, because it seems like they fill the bag full of them either way

>trying to shout a specific list of six-seven toppings at the cashier over the noise of a busy restaurant and hope to god that a) they will hear you and b) they will get it right

Why don't you guys have digital ordering yet?

>Michigan
Pfffffft

>little burger isn't 5.49
jesus christ get me out of new york city

no reason to get large unless you are obesity tier/famined

Because they're manbabies that get McDonalds all the time while listening to audiobooks in their car in the parking lot.

That sounds like a great afternoon tbqh

But fiveguys has malted shakes, and mcdonalds doesn't

You're thinking of Shake Shack m8

Nope. Five Guys starting doing shakes somewhat recently.

I don't know where the fuck that is, but the one where I live unironically charges just under $13 for a double bacon cheeseburger with an order of fries.

>1 Why do half the people who come in act like they've never been in a restaurant in their life and need e v e r y t h i n g explained

Look OP, they post on the internet too.

1. Being in a fast casual place does require some explaining to someone not used to eating there. In both fast food and fine dining you order something and get it. There's no build your own out of all these choices bullshit.

2. The reason toppings are free is because most folks aren't terribly interested in them. A burger is not about toppings. Most burgers come with a standard set of toppings. Asking your customer to pick from a long list is just putting one more step between ordering the burger and getting it, at which point most people will say, "Fuck that, just give me the damn burger."

3. I have no idea why anyone orders the hot dog at Five Guys', but bacon, cheese, tomatoes don't seem like great toppings for a hot dog. Mustard and sauerkraut, or maybe chili seem like more hot dog oriented toppings. Again, the model forces customers to make decisions from a wider than necessary array of not terribly meaningful choices. Many are likely to look at those choices and just say fuck it.

Yeah just looked, pretty sure those prices are completely out of date. I just used their prices and got the exact price they've rung me out for.

fastfoodmenuprices.com/five-guys-prices/

>$8.69 for bacon cheeseburger
>$3.09 for small fry

Comes out to $12.78 after an 8.5% sales tax.

If you opt for a "regular" size fry and, god forbid, decide to buy a regular size drink, it comes out to $16.57 after 8.5% sales tax.

Nearly $17 for a small burger, cup of soda, and fries. That's fucking crazy.

I've never been in a Five Guys and was able to understand the menu within 15 seconds of seeing it. If you need something like this explained you are an idiot with serious comprehension issues.

> Who. The. FUCK. Pays $5 for a hot dog.
Me. They're better than your burgers, which are equally overpriced. And I load 'em up with plenty of sides. And I don't even mind that you cut them in half, I like them that way. And you never feel obligated to order fries with a hot dog.

you feel obligated to order fries? thats a little bit weird bud

No, but some people do.

No. It's not about comprehension. It's about rejecting unnecessary choices. I came for a fucking hamburger, not a CYOA experience. This is exactly the problem of fast casual - it tries to portray an overabundance of choice as a value added thing. At an all you can eat buffet it might be. At a burger joint I don't think it is. Because I don't have some autistic preference for which combination of toppings makes the Ideal Burger. I've never even thought about it. Just give me a great burger and I'll be back. Making me consider which toppings might (or might not) go well together is more work than I want to do when I just want a damn burger.

When I'm hungry I don't want to have to make decisions. Give me menu choices #1, #2 and #3 - combinations someone else has already worked out as delicious - and I'll choose among those. Offer custom shit if you want. But making custom the default just means people not looking to have to make extra decisions in the process of ordering cutting things short when you ask them about topping and just asking for the damn burger.

Holy crap, you just helped me understand my husband better. Thanks!

Why can't your burgers even beat out Wendy's?

My pleasure. As a middle aged dude I value the ability to make decisions quickly and have things turn out well. To me a restaurant is good if I can walk in, choose on a whim and have whatever I get be good because somebody else worked out the details of the dish before I chose it. I get paid to make decisions at work, and every now and then I have to make some at home. I'm not looking to pick up extra decisions that have to be made when going out to eat.

In a good restaurant that shit is worked out by the chef. In a fast food restaurant that shit is worked out by corporate. In fast casual they leave it to the customer, and the truth is I don't want it.

The five guys I went to had an "all the way" which was the typical Mayo ketchep mustard pickle onion lettuce tomato. Just saying.

I hear ya. But there is a Shake Shack near where I live. No CYOA bullshit, and the burgers are better. I'll just go there instead.

Would it be socially unacceptable to ask for every topping?

It would be a huge mess trying to eat it in public...

>More like why don't first time customers read the menu for 5 seconds before asking something that is blatantly spelled out

Welcome to the service industry newfriend

What if I just asked for grilled onions/mushrooms, jalapeƱo/green peppers, tomato pickle lettuce, and mustard and hot sauce

>i don't have any autistic preference for which combination of toppings makes the ideal burgers
>having a preference for toppings is autistic

Why the fuck are you on Veeky Forums? Did you lose your way trying to navigate through Veeky Forums you weird old fucker?

What a fucking dumb thing to say on a board dedicated to food.

2 x Grilled Cheese, all the way, + green peppers, - ketchup, - mayo
1 x Little Cajun Fries

3 x Grilled cheese and regular cajun fries if I'm feeling gay, or two consecutive first orders if the gay is retrospective.

Sometimes I pretend that I'm a professional eater and stuff it down as fast as I can while maintaining composure. Bitches looking over, 'miring/disgusted/horny af. I don't care what they think of me anymore.

How much would it bother you if I said that I give the servers dairy free cheese and egg free mayo to use instead of their own?

You'd get laughed out of the restaurant for being a faggot.

>Veeky Forums
>not supremely autistic

That's exactly what an autistic Veeky Forums poster would imply...

Shieeeettttt

five guys is overpriced trash

btw yes I want to die
(inb4 kys)

>Grilled cheese with ketchup when tomatoes are readily available

you make me feel sad inside

'- ketchup', as in no ketchup. All The Way includes tomato

sorry for making you sad

Ohhhh, I thought you we're getting grilled cheese with only green peppers, ketchup and mayo. I mean, bleugh. Your actual sandwich does not make me sad.

>Why do half the people who come in act like they've never been in a restaurant in their life and need e v e r y t h i n g explained

Because why the fuck should they expend any effort in the decision-making process when your paycheck obligates you to be their pocket bitch. And I hope you didn't think you could get away from them off hours, these are the same cock sleeves that ask for the opinion of an entire board in the third person.

I admit, I act like a fumbling retard in a drive through, asking million questions, because I know I'm running up their timer and fucking them up and they have to do it. I try to aim for the busiest places.

I ended up here when /b/ stopped being amusing in 2011. Couldn't break a six year habit of posting on Veeky Forums erry day, but couldn't stand /b/ anymore. Other interests were food and wine, so I lurked here for a year or two, then started posting.

If you want to talk burgers I trust others to work that shit out for me. If I get the burger st the Spotted Pig I know every detail - the La Freda beef blend used for the patty, the blue cheese on top, the brioche bun - was painstakingly worked out by a Michelin starred chef. I can trust that burger. If I'm in LA and go to In-N-Out I know the Double Double is a California classic - it doesn't require any secret menu gymnastics to make it great. If I want a straight line between East and West Coast I can go to Shake Shack and get better quality beef than just about any fast food joint for only slightly more than fast food prices. Danny Meyer has already worked that shit out for me.

For me it's just a question of where I am and whether I feel like spending $8 or $38. I have zero incentive to play Choose Your Own Adventure at Five Guys' (or Chipotle, or any other fast casual place running on that particular Subway kind of model).

OP, can I ask for peanut butter on my burger? Is it a secret menu option?

Mm soggy lukewarm burgers

I'm not understanding the difficulty you're having here. The only reason to have something pre chosen as a preference is to save an extra 5 seconds of talking or if you've never had the dish/the dish already has a standard of what ingredients it includes.
I've never seen people bitch in a subway thread that they have to pick their shit out, it's a fucking baseless complaint to have.

please stop encouraging things like this. we have fun saying sriracha is a meme and things like that, but actually putting peanut butter on meat is next level actual meme shit.

stop, just stop now.

What the hell is wrong with peanut butter on a burger?

It's sweet and salty while adding a nice creamy texture.

Peanut butter should go on burgers like bacon.

fine, but you can't have cheese at the same time.

ok honey

Have you seriously spent somewhere around 40 years on this earth, and you still need someone to tell you whether or not you like lettuce on your burger?

>when i make myself a sandwich i get out some turkey and some bread and then just shriek at a wall for several hours

Saw this thread and proceeded to go get five guys.

shit was so cash

1. Because dealing with the public sucks. People in general are miserable assholes who love to either fuck with other people in service jobs or too stupid to know their head from their ass. You'll encounter a few who understand the hell you're in and treat you with decency and respect.. but they are very few and far between.

I just don't eat in places where time is wasted on such details. I'm old enough to have come up where you got standard issue or placed a special order. And generally you chose where you went because their standard issue met your standards, or you slummed it every now and then as a goof.

No, I never thought about whether or not I wanted lettuce on my burger. In places where the burger arrived with the patty on the bottom bun and the lettuce, tomato and onion on the top bun, then you put them together yourself I.d usually just put the onion in the burger itself, then eat the lettuce and tomato on the side with a fork and knife. in Other places however it came was fine by me. Usually places where the burger arrived assembled with the lettuce and tomato on it tended to favor the addition of mayo or Thousand Island dressing to support the salad on top of the burger. That works. But without it doesn't work nearly as well.

My point is I shouldn't have to think about this shit. Work the sandwiches out beforehand, and I'll choose which one I want. It shouldn't be on me to remember every detail of what goes with what. And if your beef is good enough toppings really would only be a distraction. How good is your beef if you're offering me everyfuckingtopping for free?

I shouldn't have to think about that much when ordering a burger. Ever.

BASED FISHPOSTER

I don't know dude. I order online, then sit down and eat peanuts for a few minutes until they call my number. I bet most people are habituated to quickly scanning picture menus and saying what number combo they want. Either that or they're just kind of dumb and indecisive.

5 Guys Cajun Fries are the best and I am overdue. I used to get the burger All the Way and loved them but now find their a touch too greasy but have to have the Cajun fries!

Jesus. I'm sorry. You must have a shitty life and a stressful fucking job that telling someone what toppings you like on a hamburger stresses you out.

>when i make myself a sandwich
I don't make myself sandwiches. I grab a sandwich if I'm on the run. If I'm home I cook meals.

Is it impossible for someone to just want a hamburger patty on a bun?

You sound like the kind of guy who goes to Taco Bell and orders a "beef burrito".

I've got a great life, and my job isn't that stressful. But it does involve me making lots of decisions. So I've come to feel like if I have to make extra I want to be paid for it, not pay for the privilege. I can see how CYOA restaurants appeal to people who are yearning to have more control over their lives. When I go out to eat I'm looking to surrender control to someone whose job it is to come up with good things for me to eat. Not some guy asking me which combinations of random toppings I want on my burger. By the time that question gets asked I've given up caring, because I've obviously chosen the wrong place to eat.

>I act like a fumbling retard in a drive through, asking million questions, because I know I'm running up their timer and fucking them up and they have to do it. I try to aim for the busiest places

you absolute madman, wasting both your own time and that of a fast food wageslave!

Close, I order a plain steak burrito with extra steak

OP why do your milkshakes suck a huge chode?

And why is the upcharge for a piece of bacon nearly a buck?

Are you a guy or a girl?

I don't get the "all toppings free" thing.

Does that mean you choose what you want or Do they come with each burger? And why are some toppings "upon request"?

Could it be more confusing?

I've never even been to 5 Guys but it seems pretty self-explanatory.

You're a big guy, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt

Had them a week ago and I think that may be the last time for me, unless I'm offered a free meal or something. I used to love them when it opened here a few years back but it just doesn't do it for me anymore. Maybe because I've been spoiled by this incredible burger place with thick juicy hand made patties and gourmet toppings. Five guys buns suck and always get soggy, patties seem a bit dry, and Bacon seems cheap. Fries are okay but probably have your entire daily salt intake in half an order alone. Plus the grease factor, I can feel my arteries clogging.

Weird cause I used to quite like them. Maybe my tastes have just changed.

I can relate with this. When I'm eating out I would prefer not to spend my time considering what makes the best meal or entree when I could just pick something off the menu. The way I always figure it is if I want to day dream about an exciting meal I'll just make it at home. At the end of the day eating is just a task. If I'm cooking my own meal I'll take the time to prepare it exactly the way I would like. When eating out its more than likely because I don't want to cook that evening or maybe treat myself and my wife to taking a night off from fucking around in the kitchen with dishes.

kinda like me going to subway. All this stuff. I'll take the lettuce,green peppers and sweet sauce.......yeah that is all I want.

BMT garlic Italian, lettuce, jalapenos, provolone cheese, toasted

Why the fuck do you charge so fucking much?

Prices JUST lower than cheap restaurants, food JUST better than burger king. It's fucking absurd.

>fast food
>restaurant

Exactly. If I'm going to bother to think about the details of what I want the meal to be I may as well cook it myself, because I put that kind of thought in when I'm cooking at home. When I go out I'd like not only to bypass the cooking, but the thought that goes into the details as well.

Part of what I'm paying for is someone else working out the details of the meal for me - someone whose job it is to work that shit out.

Whenever I walk into a place where there are one or more people behind a cafeteria looking counter with trays of various options they're going to ask me questions about I know I've made the wrong choice of where to eat.

I would gladly take a burger with just cheese and bacon at a lower price then give me all three bullshit toppings that dilute the burger essence

Flips skull fucks fedora with uncut penis proper lubed

Do they have the Zoe Quinn special?

>do you

OP doesn't make the prices, you autistic cunt

If you don't like it, change jobs, cuck.

people suck dude. just get over it. not even memeing just do your job and go home.

>Prices JUST lower than cheap restaurants, food JUST better than burger king
That's EXACTLY the fast casual concept: offer something a little better than fast food at prices just below those of restaurants, and round it out with options that seem "fresh" or "healthy", or maybe go so far as "local" and "organic".

It's fast food for people with a few extra dollars in their pockets who think they're too good to eat fast food.

Every restaurant is different. Stop being a fucking whiny bitch about it.

Some people don't want anything on their burgers. Also, your prices are higher because your manager throws out several pounds of food that does not meet corporate's ridiculous standards.

Burger King sells 1 hot dog for the same price that I can go to Wal-Mart and make myself 8.

Are you done complaining or are you going to keep complaining that people are different?

That is exactly why I don't eat at Subway. I'm not there to have some convo with a low wage shithead about random things that might taste okay on a sandwich. Just want some food and to get on with my day. Wastes too much time.

you've never had a double bacon cheese burger with all toppings?
Man, you're missing out
But yeah it gets a bit messy

You can't waste the time of wagies because our time already has a preset value determined by the massive corporation we work for

I've never had a double bacon cheeseburger. Never occurred to me to put bacon on something so already over the top as a double cheeseburger. Not a fan of excess.