Why do we rest meat?

Why do we rest meat?

Like what is the difference, and how can you tell if a steak or chicken breast wasn't rested properly?

U r what u eat and i dont want to be tired

You don't need to rest chicken; you only need to account for carry over.

You know a steak hasn't been rested when you cut it open and all the juices gush out all over the plate.

For a simple analogy, imagine muscle fibers as a group of straws, full of liquid. When heated, both capillary action and the nature of water bonds under heat (and the shrinking of those "straws" at ends closest to the heat source) causes the internal liquid to migrate to the center. The "center" cannot hold that much liquid, therefore it is lost when sliced open.

Letting the steak rest causes the liquid to migrate back, if not fully then at least to a degree better.

t. biology degree pro

you're cute user

>Alton pls go
>shooting with me

Rule of thumb is let the meat rest for half the time it took to cook it
If you grilled a steak for 10min, let it rest for 5

But that's what baked potatos are for, to soak up the juices.

mmmmmmm

Meat doesn't contain any fiber, only plant foods do
Carnists are actually this retarded

If I turned the steak while cooking, do I have to turn it while resting?

The meat is sleepy and needs to nap

Yes or else it won't char evenly.

>You know a steak hasn't been rested when you cut it open and all the juices gush out all over the plate.
>But that's what baked potatos are for, to soak up the juices.
>mmmmmmm
I love that sop!

You forgot your trip MM

steak juices will fill your plate, if not rested. is that bad? depends on the person

It's just some meme shit perpetuated by food network cooks, the same as boiling cold water or whatever. Veeky Forums does eat up the double think though, because some how searing doesn't "seal in the juices" but resting does, lmao

I, too, read the first link on google related to letting meat rest.

But then it's cold

>lmao

B A I T heres your you

>He can't even "here's your (You) right"
(You) too

you want one too buddy ok

Resting doesn't seal in the juices. It gives the juices the chance to evenly redistribute themselves inside the meat and for the muscle fibers to absorb most of them back in.

cold water does boil faster though, didn't you take physics in high school?

oh wow someone in Veeky Forums actually gets it.

>For a simple analogy, imagine muscle fibers as a group of straws, full of liquid. When heated, both capillary action and the nature of water bonds under heat (and the shrinking of those "straws" at ends closest to the heat source) causes the internal liquid to migrate to the center. The "center" cannot hold that much liquid, therefore it is lost when sliced open.
>Letting the steak rest causes the liquid to migrate back, if not fully then at least to a degree better.
>t. biology degree pro
Cool, thanks I'm not op but appreciate the detailed answer, and sailing ship pic.
I let my meat rest to allow it to cool but in that time it also continues to cook after you take it off of the heat. That's my understanding anyway, and your explanation of what is happening is top notch, thanks!

Why would you want your side dish to have some of the flavor of your main dish that has been ruined instead of your main dish being good alone with the side dish being good by itself?

>Why would you want your side dish to have some of the flavor of your main dish that has been ruined instead of your main dish being good alone with the side dish being good by itself?
>Side dish
>Main dish
Steak and potato is the main dish retard

Because the meat continues to cook when it's removed from the heat. It retains heat.
Leaving it for five minutes allows the meat to continue cooking. After about five minutes the flesh will be more tender and the fat will have permeated through the flesh, making it more tasty.

I always vary the time of resting depending on how much meat I cook. But five minutes is usually sufficient.

lmao