TL;DR: new job leaves me living in hotels half the year. I don't want to die of heart disease from fast food...

TL;DR: new job leaves me living in hotels half the year. I don't want to die of heart disease from fast food. There's no real way for me to make food in the hotel rooms.
I can bring a hot plate, a few knives, and a few (small) pans. Maybe a pot. Hotels typically have a microwave too.
What recipes can I make? Or just easy foods in general?

My new job practically requires me to live in hotels.
As you all can imagine, this doesn't leave me much in the way of being able to prepare my foods.

Now, as I don't want to die from arteries harder than the world's hardest metal (diamonds if anyone's interested) and cholesterol high enough to make a Big MacĀ© blush, I would like to at least make an attempt to make some foods.

I can get a hot plate, and I think I can pack a small set of knives and pans into my luggage.

Any ideas on recipes that I can make with minimal equipment?
Or just meals in general whose recipes I can look up?

Other urls found in this thread:

scoobysworkshop.com/canned-food-quick-healthy-meals/
quora.com/What-are-your-best-hacks-for-eating-healthy-and-affordable-while-traveling-especially-when-options-are-limited
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I just realized I'll be able to bring spices with me, so at least there's that.

but I also won't be able to store or bring any food or cold ingredients
this job pays ok but not THAT well so I wanna be efficient with it

I think the bigger problem here is the lack of a sink. I guess unless you want to clean your shit in the shower.

>clean your shit in the shower
Shit, I could just lay 'em all in the bathtub and let the shower do all the work for me. I'm sure those drains have seen worse.

Just go out to eat. You can get food that isn't fast food. Or eat at the hotel. Don't you get expenses covered? Just get the healthiest restaurant meal you can find. Or learn to love tuna sandwiches.

Meh, you have plenty of options. I'm about to be living in a truck. My plan is surviving on jerky, apples, black coffee, and multivitamins.

>Or learn to love tuna sandwiches.
They can be good. But I wouldn't want to eat them as a staple of my diet. Tuna has too much mercury for that.

>high sodium and high caffeine diet
Your kidneys are going to love you.

I drink a gallon of water a day. You guys should see my piss jug.

scoobysworkshop.com/canned-food-quick-healthy-meals/

get a nu wave or an equivalent to it
so you can bake all your foods in it

It helps in the short-term, but chronically, you're still fucking up your kidneys.

Dragging along a hotplate, pans and shit to every city and going shopping seems like more of a pain in the ass than it's worth. If it were me I'd just find better restaurants to eat at. Or if you have the choice, use airbnb or find extended stay-type hotels which at least have kitchenettes that you can use during your stay.

Read these OP:

quora.com/What-are-your-best-hacks-for-eating-healthy-and-affordable-while-traveling-especially-when-options-are-limited

this actually is a really good guide

but
>I often travel with olive oil and apple cider vinegar. Instant salad dressing. Instant heart-burn relief (a dab of vinegar in your water).
>Instant heart-burn relief (a dab of vinegar in your water).
what the fuck

I always assume it's some holistic medicine type shit too. They think apple cider vinegar can cure the holocaust. Vinegar seems to me like it would cause heartburn.

You could theoretically can your own food.

But just live off of stuff like ramen and anything else that you can use hot water from a microwave to heat up.

> Vinegar seems to me like it would cause heartburn.
that's because it DOES cause heartburn
the technical term is gastric reflux, or "your stomach unintentionally shooting stomach acid back up into your esophagus"

adding MORE acid just exacerbates the problem. That's what I was "what the fuck"ing at

on a side note, heartburn relief medicines are essentially flavored chalk. It neutralizes some of the acid in your stomach so it doesn't burn as much.

Vinegar has no effect whatsoever on heartburn. If you actually understood chemistry, you'd understand that drinking vinegar does not affect the pH of the stomach contents at all. It's highly acidic either way, and usually much more acidic than vinegar to begin with. Furthermore, the etiology of heartburn involves dysfunction relating to intragastric pressure regulation and sphincter closure, not acid secretion. Neutralizing stomach acidity is just a hamfisted way to control symptoms, the underlying problem still remains. Heartburn is exacerbated by irritants like hot pepper, raw garlic etc.. but vinegar and other mild acids are not irritants

What a bunch of tap dancing, osteopathic nonsense.

can you show me where I asked

I've lived like this for a couple years. You'd be surprised by how much you can cook in the microwave. Rice + steamed vegetables + hot sauce & canned everything vegetarian chilli were my go to

Seems easier to just go out and buy healthy food be it at a restaurant or grocery. You can possibly deduct these expenses from taxes or get your job to pay. Traveling with cookware seems like way more of a pain than going out and buying decent food

The darker sides of my mind agrees with you

I would take the semi home-made approach if money isn't a factor. You can make most things with a spork, bento, and a knife, probably.

Salads with frozen chicken finger strips and cut up apples or something. You can get creative with salads.

Oatmeal with trail mix you could probably make with the coffee pot

Now they make a lot of healthy microwave alternatives too

>world's hardest metal
>diamonds
didnt know diamonds are considered metal

do you get to pick your hotel?

a lot of budget motels have kitchenette rooms and they're comfier than regular hotels

wtf hotels do you go to that don't have a bathroom sink.

The world's softest metal is carbon dioxide.

Get a suite or extened stay

There are tons of nice cheap brand hotels that are almost apartment lvel

I cant remeber the brand i think homewood suites actually makes guests a free dinner

wrong. its your dick

Why would your bathroom sink?

you could get one of those tailgating grills and just grill your own meat in the parking lot

Couple of things come to mind OP, why dont you choose hotels with minibars? At the very least EVERY single hotel ive stayed at has a mini fridge.
I used to travel a lot more for work and for both health and financial reasons I always prefer to make my own meals.

I always travel with a good quality large tupperware container in it I keep a shark pairing knife, cutlery, salt, pepper, chilli flakes, small bottles of olive oil and vinager, protein powder.
The tupperware is my food prep, microwave and eating bowl.

I pretty much I survive of one bowl wonder salads that I make of any combination of the following, there is always going to be a supermarket near your hotel:

>microwaved steamed frozen vegetables (carrot, brocolli, cauliflower, corn, peas, pumpkin, greans beans)
>raw salad vegetables that can be prepped in a small sink (baby spinach, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, capsicum)
>canned pulses drained in the sink (lentils, beans, chickpeas)
>canned fish (tuna, sardines, herring)
>deli meats (roast beef, silverside, turkey breast)
>cheese and greek yoghurt

I like to make sure I have atleast a pound of vegetables (first three things on my list) and 4-5 oz of the rest of the list making sure I get enough protein, if not I have a protein shake.

What shit hole places are you going to that doesn't at least have a fridge?

I've brought hot plates and for man grills into hotels its cool just kinda ghetto

I don't even have one anymore.

Please don't rely on multivitamins, they are not a substitute for proper nutrition and they don't help as much as one would think.

Aren't hotel smoke detectors kind of sensitive?

Thank you, not OP, but my new job I'll be starting will also have me in a hotel about 1 week out of 3.

This. Stay in hotels with a kitchenette and fridge. Not worth trying to cook in a regular hotel room

>implying you always have a choice

A lot of companies have deals with set chains, or a set list to choose from, or some areas simply have slim pickins, a lot of "on the road" jobs spend most of their time in rural areas.

Are you OP?

Nope, just someone whose dad traveled a lot.

Well you and your dad can fuck off

k

Extended stays are the best option, but if they are unavailable for whatever reason, there are things you can do.

>raw
Shop everyday and eat a raw foods diet. So equipment needed, but can get expensive and is labor intensive.

>electric kettle, rice cooker, and cooler
Get a small cooler and fill it using the hotel's ice machine. Some hotel chains may have a policy, so just check with them. Use an electric kettle to hydrate camping tier foods. Use a small rice cooker to make meals. You can use a coffee maker as an electric kettle, so you may not even need to bring your own.

Rice, beans, oats, canned veggies, and canned fish. Relatively healthy and frugal. The more vegetables the better for health.

as an alternative, try flaked ham or flaked salmon

I lived in hotels for four years for a job i used to have. I stopped eating red meat and made it a point to never eat fries or fried food more than once a month. If i had the chance i would always find a place with a good grilled chicken salad, a lot of times that would be some local pizza place or small neighborhood restaurant. If i had no time I'd get something like subway or some grilled chicken fast food. I always stocked up on fruit and yogurt from the hotel breakfast too.

I thought DragonForce was the hardest metal known to man?

How about eating less and walking more? How about eating one mcdouble for lunch

>eating trash that'll have you hungry again after 20 mins

when will the shilling stop?

bring along a pressure cooker. cook beans, lentils, potatos, brown rice, whatever. quick and easy.

The only problem would be the clean up. you should bring a big plastic tub and some scouring pads.

multivitamins work just fine. better to have a little vitamin boost than nothing at all.

Canned foods like soups could be some of your meals.

Protip: Get a new job quick.

This is a fact. Not to mention that they have literally no regulation, so nothing is stopping them from putting chopped up grass in a capsule and selling it to you. But user is out of options, yes ?

>Bringing a pressure cooker on a plane
I'm sure that'll work out real well

You can't cook in a hotel room first becuase they will realize you pulled that shit and kick you out and second because everything will smell like food and that includes you and your luggage
And bringing spices, are you retarded? You can buy spices anywhere, why would you want your clothes to smell like you just came from a double shift on a taco place?

Could you carry a slow-cooker and/or a ricer cooker? All they need is a main socket and you can use the slow cooker to easily make stews (boeuf bourgignon, ghoulash, stroganoff, frikasse etc.) or shit like chili and rice and the rice cooker is good for any of the "healthier" grains like quinoa etc.

You want to eat healthy? Every hotel you show up ask two things where is the nearest McDonalds and the nearest grocery or supermarket.
Go to McDonalds and buy the big burger with diet soda and no Fry's or just a couple mcdoubles, here is the trick tho. No dressing, no cheese congratulations by getting rid of the soda, Fry's, cheese, dressing and the buns you are also going to throw away you just shaved off 70% of the calories in a big meal, now go to the grocery and buy an onion, some lettuce and tomato. You can buy the vinager and oil in McDonalds, also a plastic knife (traveling with a knife what are you fucking thinking?)
Make your shitty salad, add your shitty meat and ou got yourself a healthy meal

what's the point of going to mcdonalds if you're going to dissect the entire thing and just eat the meat?
furthermore what's the point of arranging a separate salad that's comprised of vegetables which are 98% water?

i think you're just a fucking idiot

ditch the pans and just get a dutch oven, then just google _____ dutch oven recipe for whatever you're in the mood for

Other anons have good suggestions, but I recommend and Instant Pot pressure cooker. It's electric and I'm sure you could store a bunch of spices and shit in it as you travel with it. It can saute, be used as a rice cooker, braise, etc. People have devoted entire autistic websites over trying to make everything possible in these fuckers. It seems like your best bet for versatility versus cost.

Angus burger is 790 calories
Of which Angus bread is 250 calories
Cheese is 50 calories a slice
I'm going to be generous with the dressing and say its 50 calories
You just shaved off half the calories and I'm going to be generous and let you keep the bacon
What's the point? The whole point of fast food is that is fast warm food that you can get anywhere
Is vanilla icecream good for you? No can you eat vanilla icecream every day? Yes
If you don't add hot fudge, Oreo crolumbles, m&ms, nuts and banana
That's the point

microwaved potatoes.

Everything is mostly water, even those sugary sodas you like so much, if you hate water just est salt.
Subway got this right and let you just turn your sandwich into a salad, getting rid of the bread and cheese and sauces is getting rid of half the calories, you can also try the alternative which is eating everything but the meat if that's the reason you go there

you need calories to function, idiots. if you're living in hotels then you're going to have to pay for 3k~ calories in one form or another. why throw away perfectly edible nutrients that you paid for?
the OP was talking about eating healthily not losing weight

you don't need 3k calories a day unless you weigh 400 lbs or live a very active lifestyle

Are you stupid, wait dont answer
Average calories for an active adult are 2000, if you are inactive it's 1500
45 minutes of intense training can burn around 500 calories. Op isn't running 2 hours and 15 minutes every day, he hardly achieve the 2000 mark
Eating 500 calories a meal and distributing 600-800 calories in breakfast and nacks is what he should be doing
If McDonalds gave you a free stick of butter with every meal would you eat it not to throw it away?

Here is what you should consider about food and if you understand this rule then its the only rule you need to know
Yes McDonalds meat is half the calories, however if you weight the bread, cheese and dressing the burger is 90% of the weight of the whole Burger, that means that everything that's not meat has 10 times the calories of meat. This is why a simple cheese burger has 250 calories 1/3 of the calories in an Angus burger while being 1/5 of the weight of an Angus burger and that's also why the big Mac having less meat an dmore dressing, cheese and bread is less healthy
Believe it or not the bigger the burger gets the healtier

Whenever you see a tiny Japanese woman eat a 6 patty quarter pounder and not get as fat as you that's why

listen, i can see that you are having difficulty speaking english properly but try to follow my line of argument here:

no one is talking about losing weight. the idea of caloric deficits and excesses is not the issue here. the conversational topic is eating relatively healthily while travelling and outside of any permanent living arrangement. with that in mind, given that you are paying excessive amounts of money for each meal you pay to have prepared for you, can you not see why it would be idiotic to throw away food simply because it's 'empty calories'?

what is this notion of something being less healthy because it is more calorie dense? it depends entirely on your pre-existing intake and the things you're eating at other times in the day. if you have a very specific goal in mind for your body or have particular dietary needs then, yes, it's relevant information. but that's not the case. we're talking about eating in a balanced manner with no variable information.

There is correlation between how many calories food has and how unhealthy it is
Calories come from sugar, carbs and fat (also alcohol) all of which are unhealthy,

well that's just completely untrue. what definition of the word "unhealthy" are you using, exactly?

??????????
You're just literally retarded
cut your balls off so you don't breed idiocy into the next generation

Honestly yeah you should eat an Angus burger a day (except not really Angus, more like Angus meat and bread that doesn't have 5 times the amount of calories in regular bread)
But the bread and dressing should be your breakfast and you should get two portions of two Angus patty's, add to that two cereal bars or fruits and that is a whole day worth of food.
Shawarma has half the calories of a Burger figure yourself why

Dressing and cheese are filled with unhealthy fats and cholesterol that is bad for you, sugar and carbs are processed i n the liver instead of stomach wich is also bad for you, carbs are a bad source of energy because it's absorbed way too quickly and even tho it isn't direclty unhealthy spending half your day with spikes in sugar levels and the other half tired isn't healthy at all.
Furthermore you aren't getting all the vitamins your body needs, that's what salad is for, it also gives you fiber which is good for your colon

i feel like you've got one of your esl textbooks open and are just quoting passages of vague relevance to the discussion here.

>being able to speak two languages makes you stupid
>we only speak American which is the language God chose for us

Been doing it for the past two months man, shit sucks especially as a fitizen, I basically live off of canned chicken, tuna, salmon, wolf chilli, and minute rice. It isn't the nicest diet but it gets the job and I get the nutrition I need, also frozen bags of canned veggies work and advocados go about .75 at Walmart, I also throw in a multi vitamin. Good luck op. Shit sucks