Where the fuck do I get cheap bones for making stock...

Where the fuck do I get cheap bones for making stock? My butcher shop is apparently run by a bunch of Jews because they want $4 a pound for them. They are even more expensive at my discount grocer. I'm not paying that for something I'm going to boil for 6 hours

And while we're at it why the hell is it acceptable to charge 8 bucks a pound for oxtail? I swear to god these hipsters are going to be the death of me

Fields? Pet shop dumpsters?

freeze your leftovers from steaks and roasts

You could start by buying meat with recognizable anatomical features. Careful, this triggers the picky flyover manchild

Cheapest I've found was my asian grocery store. Or, just save bones in your freezer from various dishes.

I usually just buy really bony cuts like legs and thighs and then use the meat for pulled pork/chicken/whatever

>I swear to god these hipsters

won't touch a Sam Adams after this douche bag appeared in their ads

>this triggers the picky flyover manchild

Stay the fuck in South Brooklyn.

That's actually really helpful thanks

If I wanted to talk with pretentious assholes I'd go to /mu/

>started posting on /mu/
>summer starts approaching
>start seeing a lot of feel threads about prom, all getting shitloads of replies
>wonder why the fuck people are still going to prom, is this some weird college thing?
>realize they are probably highschoolers
>realize for the past few weeks I've been talking about music to literal highschoolers

Never again

Go to any grocery store that doesn't have English in its name, Hispanic, Asian, etc. Most of these places have a large selection of cuts, even full heads with eyes in them.

I keep a large freezer bag and just amass bones from every day cooking. When the bag is full I make stock.

Building on this, don't get halal meat. Ever.

why not? I got a halal meat shop across the street from me that's why I ask

$4 a Pound? ahahaha

They're 65p per bone where I work, ($0.93) we sell them off as bone bones and saw them up.

>bone bones
i gave ur mum a bone bone last night m8

I haven't set foot in South Brooklyn in like three years. I've actually been to Jersey more times than Brooklyn in the last year. If I need a dose of outer borough I'd much rather go to Queens

I raise a few steers each year and sell stuff for pretty high prices (Boston area). I was selling oxtail for 7/lb. If people will pay it, I'll charge what I can.

It funds terrorism

Weird question, i made a shitload of wings yesterday and thought: can you reuse the trash bones for a stock? Sure you slobbered all over them but if youre the only one who will use the stock then whats the matter? You might get some seasoning from the bits of meat leftover.

But OP, if you make wings from whole chicken wings like i did, you can save the wing tips after you've cut up the wings into flats and drums. The tips are basically all skin, cartilage, and bone

yeah, of course you can. Bones make good stock.

If it's your spit and you're going to be eating the resulting stock, sure.

I don't mind people making a buck necessarily, but my grandfather raised cattle and if I told him people were buying trash cuts for that much these days he would have sent me to military school for telling lies. And besides, you're a locally sourced product and boston is full of fags who cant get enough of that shit, that sounds like an exception to the rule to me

I am curious, do you slaughter and butcher the meat yourself? Regardless, who do you sell to?

yeah and you know, you could wash off the spit and seasoning with water I reckon

I don't slaughter myself. I have too many animals to bother with that mess. I get it done USDA so it's easy to sell to anyone.
I mostly sell to families, and a few restaurants.

As far as who can sell what for how much, I figure anyone who can sell anything for top dollar, should. I gotta make as much as I possibly can, and my customers know that. I have a great product, so that obviously helps, but I try to make the max. Everyone should, obviously!

I'm still really curious about the process. Who actually ends up killing the cow and who butchers it? It's not always the same people when it is on the local level as far as I know

Like I live in a university town with a big agriculture program and they slaughter their own animals, cut em in half, and sell that to butchers in the area

I use a slaughterhouse. Rules say that the animal has to walk in under its own power (you can't bring in a sick animal or a carcass). When it makes it to the kill floor it is killed with a sharpened bolt through the skull, then its throat is cut.

The carcass (in halves, or in quarters) could go to butchers. But I have my meat cut up and packaged there. Most people do that with their own meat. But certainly stuff is going out of there to cut elsewhere.

In deer season a lot of people have their deer cut there. Its not USDA, but it'll get cut and packaged well, and mnay hunters are happy to pay for that service.

If you're wanting chicken bones, I'll buy the rotisserie chicken at my local grocery store. I'll eat my fill, then pick the rest of the from the bones. Freeze the bones and extra meat. I can usually make decent stock after collecting the bones from 3 of these dinners.

not a bad idea m8, thanks

The Halal industries in Europe and America support lots of seedy stuff. Like the other guy said, some of that money goes directly into the hands of total religious maniacs.

The fact that their taste in music is fucking terrible should have tipped you off.

>Cheapest I've found was my asian grocery store

the ones around here used to be cheap (

food blogs are killing me
the gad dam hipsters are buying shit like kidneys at $7 a pound so they can make pies and now I'm stuck with chicken thighs for 50 cents a pound
actually that ain't that bad forget I said anything

I noticed the same thing. Some guy posted a thread about what music they should post at his school dance. I realized then that /mu/ isn't for me.

>boil them for hours
>worried about a little slobber

For fucks sake

get them at a polish or eastern european deli. if you don't have one near you then first move out of whatever niggerville you live in.

Not that really, but the people you serve it to might be a bit miffed if you're serving stuff made with stock from your slobbery bones.

ITT people blame hipsters for inflation
It's not because they're hipsters the prices go up its because they live in the present pops

this guy knows whats up.

buy quarter darks for ~$1/lb and freeze the bones till you need them.

>price of garbage cuts nearly quadruples over the course of 3 years
>price of oil goes down
>price of bananas goes down
>price of beer goes down
>HURR BETTER BLAME INFLASHUN

The whole point of making stock with bones is YOU DO IT BECAUSE YOU ALREADY HAVE BONES LEFT OVER.

I buy a retarded amount of turkeys the day after Christmas/Thanksgiving for like 70% off. Butcher them in various ways and save the skeleton. Ham works on a similar system. You could also buy junky pork chops for cheap, turn them into stewing chunks and save the bones.

Yeah. I haven't gotten around to explaining to the boyfriend why the baggies of stew in my freezer are only consumed by me. I really chew my bones. Eat the cartilage and stuff.

...Like, he knows I make my own stock, and will even give me bones from his leftovers because he doesn't really cook, but he hasn't put two and two together yet.

"I know you're tired, user! Why don't we just have some of your stew for dinner! You don't have to make something new!"

"...I feel like pot pie today?"

Yep! I also have a bag for veg scraps. You know, carrot peelings and pepper cores.

No, the whole point of using bones is because they contribute gelatin to the stock. That works the same whether you buy bones for stockmaking or if you have them left over.

I pay less that that for steak. I probably feed my dog better than your average American eats

My grandparents on both sides were farmers and would keep pigs and cows and periodically would kill them and freeze the meat for family consumption. They gave away a lot of the stuff that is now quite popular to their field hands like kidneys, chitlins, the tail, tongue. They are trash cuts of meat but people nowadays are obsessed with authentic peasant food and the shitty reality of having to cook oxtail for 6 hours so you can eat it because it's all the "meat" you could afford is actually seen as somehow desirable. These faggots can waste their saturday slow cooking a cut so it's actually edible and I'll be just fine chomping on a Kansas City strip

Not really, it's for the gelatin and depth of flavor

Say you have a major hardon for stock in soup and make it a lot but don't eat enough meat off the bone to generate enough soupbones. What's that guy supposed to do? Go fuck himself?

I think he'd be fine with it. I mean he kisses you right? And you do way grosser shit like put his dick in your mouth

I don't know, oxtail stew is pretty based.

I just make stew on weekends when I'd be staying around my house to read or play vidya anyway. Also, it's cheap, and I am definitely a poor.

I guess. I'll ask him, it's just kind of a weird thing to bring up.

"Hey, you know how I gnaw bones like a dog when we get fried chicken? I totally use those to cook if I eat things with bones at home."

It'd be kind of weird for him because his parents are total wasps who mostly eat pre-packaged things mixed in "creative" ways.

Eating poverty food because you're poor is perfectly acceptable and if you are industrious and motivated enough to shop wisely and cook creatively so you get adequate nutrition then it is even commendable

Overpaying for poverty food ingredients with daddy's money because Tony Bourdain says he likes trash cuts of meat prepared by abuelitas who had to beg the butcher for a 2 peso discount so she could feed her family pig guts and you want to pretend to be like him is annoying, pretentious hipster garbage. Tony hates that shit too

Purchase your meats from a local source and get them in primal cuts. Learn to butcher to save on money and you can keep all the bones you want.

You maybe could even just ask him a hypothetical

"So Chad Thundercock, how would you feel if before I brought a soup to a boil I spit in it and served it to us?"

Worst case scenario you activate a fetish he didn't know he had and now he wants you to spit in his mouth when you're on top

"Poverty food" often has nothing to do with it.

Take Oxtail. These days it's quite expensive. At my local supermarket it costs about $8 or 9/lb. That's more than most other cuts of beef right there. And when you factor in that the oxtail contains a lot of bone and fat which is not eaten, the price paid for edible meat is easily as high, if not higher, than high grade steaks.

And oxtail is fucking delicious. It's a lot more flavorful than the tender steak cuts are. The difference is that it takes time and effort to cook it, whereas pretty much anyone can season a steak and slap it in a hot pan or on the grill.

Chicken:
Buy grocery store roasted chicken
save the bones

Beef:
Buy some cheap bone-in cuts or slowly accumulate in your freezer

Vegetable:
fuck Vegetable stock

But tongue tacos are the best

Skip the butcher and go straight to the producers if you have any within driving distance. Check with the local ranches or small farms if you've got any beef or dairy being raised locally and ask if they sell their bones. Might take a few weeks till a cow is ready, but if you find a guy willing they'll gladly unload bags full.

Hell, you could even put a wanted ad out on your local Craigslist and hope a local farmer or someone with a bone hookup sees you.

Don't tell them it's for stock, though. It's "for your dogs." Assuming you're in the states, the FDA gets all "we will send men with machine guns if you fuck with us..." pissy about unlicensed processing and selling of meat from old milkers "for human consumption."

You'll occasionally find guys with just a couple of cattle selling frozen roasts and organ meat specifically tagged for animals only to avoid the Federal dickrape, along with raw cow and goat milk "for your cats."

I have strange conversations with my girlfriend where she gets all squeamish about a bit of backwash or taking a bite of a sandwich after I have.

I'm like... honey you've had my penis in your mouth. I don't think double-dipping into the salsa is really an issue any more.

>collect enough bones to make a single pot of stock every 4-6 months because I don't eat Ameriburger-sized portions of beef on a daily basis
>I guess I only use stock a few times a year

Enjoy a fresh cup of go fuck yourself.

"no"

good advice, especially about that FDA shit

>getting squeamish about sharing spit
I know, it's like I've violated your mouth with my dick and sweaty balls already it's not like sipping from my water glass is going to hurt your mouth's feelings any more than they already are