Cutting

How the fuck do I improve my cutting speed Veeky Forums? I am absolute shit at cutting everything, especially vegetables.

Any advice on knives or technique is appreciated.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MD-haKFhJNw
food.com/recipe/whole-stuffed-camel-67495
twitter.com/AnonBabble

mandoline

Sharp knives, practice.

the faster you go the greater the risk, build up muscle memory and you will find that you can go as fast as you like, however your cuts will become less accurate and unless you are super focused 100% of the time you will cut yourself.

Learn how to care for your knives. A dull/un-honed knife is going to be shit in the hands of a Michelin star chef.

Beyond that it's nothing but practice, practice, practice.

buy a bunch of onions

cut a bunch of onions

try to cut the onions faster

throw the onions in the trash because they were like $1 and fuck having so many onions

Also look up basic cutting technique videos on youtube (claw technique, or whatever it's called). It may seem awkward at first if you're used to cutting a certain way, but the only way you're ever going to get good without cutting off a finger is using proper technique.

Relax and cut slow if you're a home cook, no need to behave like some line cook pleb.

Yeah, I just want to improve a little, just so it doesn't take me 5 fucking minutes to cut an onion.

>worked on and off as a line cook pleb throughout university
>now have the skills for the rest of my life to casually do prep work at home in no time and crank out restaurant tier dishes with ease

It's really nothing more than practice, repetition, and muscle memory, as everyone has been saying. Working in a high volume, high stress restaurant kitchen for a year or two makes you get good, fast, and preparing a real home cooked meal now feels like a walk in the park, is fun, and not stressful in any way.

You gotta make sure your grip is right. Learn to do the claw with your offhand, and make sure you aren't doing anything retarded like holding your pointer finger on the spine of your blade.

Practice is a huge part of it. I used to work in a kitchen and was pretty fast, and now even though I cook frequently, my speed has really diminished a lot. If you want to get good, honestly, buy a huge bag of onions and just cut them up.

Another tip is put a cloth under veggies you are cutting, as the friction will keep it from rolling/sliding around, making the cutting easier as well as safer for you.

the first thing you need to do is read up on the finest japanese knives and wet stones.

buy some of each... for wet stones.. buy the highest grit you can get your hands on. i prefer anything over 9000. for high steel knives get the highest carbon content knife in a single sided hone.

then when your japanese high carbon steel comes in, reshape and hone the edge so that it is at a 3 or 4 degree angle.

this will help you to improva your cuttinga speed.

Thanks for the advice and the dubbs.

You need to use expensive vegetables. If you use the cheap ones, they slip and slide everywhere when using the claw technique.

>tfw you encounter a post so retarded that you don't have an appropriate reaction image to express your bewilderment

reduce calories

>S-SUCH SPEED, IMPOSSIBLE

Practice.

There are many types of tenchniques to use when cutting, research them and practice by making meals from scratch every day.

KEEP YOUR KNIVES SHARP.

It took me about 5 years of cooking meals from scratch about 4-5 times a week and I can chop about as fast as most TV chefs if I want, I prefer my chopping to be accurate though so I go at about 60-75% of that speed and only speed chop when I know the shape of the food doesn't matter like in soups and stocks.

I learned speed cutting mass amounts of celery and julienned onion. I recommend celery. It's easy to shape into nice crisp, small sticks to minimize effort and risk of losing your grip.

Just put the side of your knife against your last knuckle and move it up and down. Once you know how much to move it, do it on food.

>can cut onion super fine with no problem
>useless at cutting everything else

why god

Speed isn't everything or you'll be cutting like this guy.
youtube.com/watch?v=MD-haKFhJNw

You also need proper techniques.

Newfag here. Can some one tell me if there is something like FAQ to git good at cooking? I dont know shit and everyone around here look like they are a fucking pro chiefs to me.

Read the sticky.

There is no sticky.

Read books, practice.

>think of food you like
>look up recipes for it
>practice making it until it no longer taste/looks like shit
>rinse and repeat

It's really just practice. Follow a recipe exactly the first few times you make it, then make a few modifications to see how it affects the end product. Taste as you go along.

Also, we've all fucked up horribly in the kitchen at one point or another. It's just part of the process

start here
food.com/recipe/whole-stuffed-camel-67495

-practice
-get some decent equipment: the bare minimum is a non-stick pan, a pot, a baking sheet, a casserole dish, a spatula, a stirring spoon/ladle, a cutting board (unless you don't care about your counters), and a knife. Fancy shit comes later.
-start with easy recipes: scrambled eggs, a steak, non-frozen chicken breast, then move to slightly more advanced stuff like soups, bread, roasts, casseroles
-I suggest making stuff you enjoy, so if you fuck it up, you can still possibly eat it. the first stuff i learned were pasta dishes and enchiladas: they turned into soup, but I could still eat them.
-accept that you will completely fuck recipes up and will have to throw them away.
-get really good at one recipe: and start experimenting with it. I can make a mean beef strogo. then start fiddling with it: add ingredients here and there or substitute stuff to figure out what you like.
-consider some secret ingredients: msg can add flavor to meats, vinegar in savory sauces balances it out, dark chocolate in chili, sugar in tomato sauces, vinegar in sweet stuff: use them in small amounts for a nice touch of flavor.
-if you get tired of cooking, and all your shit sucks, you can always default to garbage food for a little bit but don't stay there.
-read the sticky

Thanks guys. By the way is there a site with database of all receips everyone is using here? Like some popular cooking book.
>-read the sticky
I dont see a sticky anywhere...

there's no sticky, but there should be.

But food isnt good if it sticks...

>he doesn't like onions

RIP,little roach man

Jesus that is truly disgusting.

Got you covered senpai

Everyone on this thread seems to not have any real professional experience in the art of cutting.

You take your right hand, take the handle of the knife and you take it on top and use your thumb and pointing finger to hold down your knife and to also steer it when doing more precise cutting.
You must control where the knife goes and you must have space on the cutting board, enough to make yourself and your arms comfortable to loosely move around which makes it faster.
Now for the last piece of advice I will give you is that if you use your middle finger(the middle part of your middle finger) and press it against the blade and use it as a barrier which the blade slides against, you will NEVER cut yourself as long as the blade touches that part of your finger and your hand is behind that finger, you can even use both pointing and middle finger.
Whilst cutting a large object that is thin, you just need to find that feel for sliding across the object like a machine all while going up and down with your knife yet following your barrier finger with the blade and going down.
My dad taught me how to use a knife and cut really really fast. It is not about practise, it is about finding that feel for cutting and having that special touch with your knife. Sure the practising will help you reach that but you could practise forever and not know the art of cutting. The time it takes for each individual differs in gaining this ''touch'' even with the knowledge I just presented you.
Also I am Chinese, so I recommend a butcher knife and just use it as all purpose like any other Chinese. But you can apply everything above with normal knives as well.

Good luck and I will be lurking this thread if you need more advice.

Also a good vegetable to start with is zucchini.