So in all seriousness, how do I use one of these? I've watched 3 videos on YouTube and they are all contradictory...

So in all seriousness, how do I use one of these? I've watched 3 videos on YouTube and they are all contradictory. The first video said hold it what looks like just under 45 degrees, that anything less is too little. The Jamie Oliver video said hold it about 10 degrees, and he runs it the opposite way of Gordon Ramsey who holds it around 45 degrees.

What is the best knife sharpening technique? I'm using my shitty walmart knife to experiment and practice with.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Okv6N7KfR6A
twitter.com/AnonBabble

* should say "anything less than 30"

That's a honing rod, not a sharpener.

*unsheathes katana*

Well I just used it using Gordon Ramsey's way, and now my knife that I could bang against my hand without cutting myself cuts through paper with very little effort, but it won't shave hair off my arm.

It won't shave hair off your arm because you haven't sharpened it.
As you chop shit with your knife, the edge of the blade curls back over itself because it's thin as shit.
A honing rod straightens those curls back into a cutting edge.

Sharpening is when you run your knife on a whet stone to physically grind a new edge out of the metal.

gordon ramsay doesn't know what the fuck he's doing with a steel.

I don't know fuck all about the degrees to steel a knife, and just go by the way it's worked best for me.

The one thing I'll say is undeniably true is that you should do the same number of swipes on each side, and if it takes more than 3 swipes each you're doing it wrong. You should be able to tell how sharp a blade is by rubbing your thumb across is perpendicular to the blade; the less smooth it seems, the sharper it is.

Different knives are different. Just line it up with your knife's blade. You don't have to do it fast like they do.

>you don't have to do it fast like they do

This. The people on TV who go, "ching, ching, ching, ching, ching, ching, ching, etc..." are just doing it for show.

Watch a video of an industry butcher. They'll have a boning knife, a cimeter, and a steel, and will give their knives just one or two passes on the steel every few minutes. When you're doing heavy duty cutting you very quickly learn the value of a honing steel and how to use it. At this point I barely take anyone seriously who doesn't hone their knives before preparing a meal at home.

not all knives should be honed

Aside from serrated knives, which ones shouldn't be honed, and why?

I've never heard this before.

Ceramic aka meme knives. Also stone knives.

fucking lawl

that webm makes me rage every time

I've seen plenty of people with ceramic knives in their silverware drawers (usually in bright colors, with their own plastic knife guards), but I don't think I've ever actually seen anybody use one.

What's a stone knife, and when is it used in a kitchen?

The knife destroyed the limes and oranges but can't even cut through some cooked pork?
Forget stones, forget honing, just buy a new one

c...cooked?

It's just a meme hone, doesn't do anything.

Only softer steel knives should be honed. Most Japanese knives have a rockwell hardness level of 60+. If you use a honing steel on them, you'll start chipping your knives because harder steel is more brittle than softer steel.

For reference, a Henckells classic chef's knife will be around the rockwell level of around 55, and the Wustof classic is like 58.

I recognize those pudgy mitts and that swanky Itie pinkie ring, that moist cut of pig probably baked that pork an hour or two

>pinkie ring

I use a Global G2 at home, and give it a few swipes on a ceramic honing rod almost every time I pull it out, but I guess that's only at something like a 58.

but I'm sure you do, user-kun

>What's a stone knife, and when is it used in a kitchen?

1) The blade is made from stone.
2) Neolithic era.

>current year
>being this wrong

Honing rods come in different varieties! The classic steel rod is for honing a blade's edge. A diamond rod will do the same with partial sharpening properties due to the abrasive diamond. A ceramic rod with sharpen or polish your blade, they come high grits much like sharpening stones, my ceramic honing rod is a 5000 grit iirc. Sharpening removes metal, honing aligns. You can't hone a dull knife. The angle at which you hone or sharpen is determined by the bevel of your knife's edge, not all knives are the same, for instance a sujihiki might have a 14 degree bevel on one side, and a 20 on the otherside. You can determine yours by placing a blade flat on a surface, and slowing turning it up with your finger on the edge til it gently bites on your skin.

He's sort of right though. Steels aren't that great. Ceramic rods are far superior. Though you won't chip your knife unless you're inconsistent in your angles and movements. Most of my knives are rated above 60hrc.

> What is the best knife sharpening technique?
What you really want is one or more of these, not a honing rod.

good guided sharpening system is expensive tho

>he doesn't buy hundreds of obsidian scalpels for food preparation
It's a shame they break so easily though.
I mostly just use the steel ones because of cost.

Buy what you can afford?

I went with a meme set of Japanese whetstones (Imanishi, Naniwa, Suehiro) and they certainly are good.

youtube.com/watch?v=Okv6N7KfR6A

This should be in the sticky.

How are electric knife sharpeners? Worth the money?

>You should be able to tell how sharp a blade is by rubbing your thumb across is perpendicular to the blade; the less smooth it seems, the sharper it is.
This is a good tip. A sharp knife will almost feel gritty or rough when you run your finger across (not along!) it.

Imo unnecessary if they cost more than $20. You can get pretty damn good results with a cheap stone, and it really doesn't take long at all unless maybe you've got some very hard steel or you're trying to repair a damaged edge.

>I've seen plenty of people with ceramic knives in their silverware drawers (usually in bright colors, with their own plastic knife guards), but I don't think I've ever actually seen anybody use one.
I have a grey ceramic knife and I use it for everything that doesn't require any twisting. It's great, stays crazy sharp and makes Australians shit their pants at the thought of it.