Sup dudes

sup dudes..

i made a thread last week where i posted a dish i was proud of, and y'all destroyed it with solid criticism.

anyway, here's some more from the past week:

>grapefruit curd
>lemon/lovage/brandy sorbet
>berry consomme
>graham cracker
>candied pistachio

>braised pig ear, dredged in rice/tapioca/corn starch and fried
>tossed in a mango habanero sauce
>cabbage/carrot/red onion slaw tossed in a pear/gorgonzola dressing
>soft boiled egg
>spicy peanutz

>salt-baked potato, hollowed out partially
>placed over bacon jam/smoked oyster aoli
>seabean chimichurri
>caviar/fresh dill
>burning sage

how do you make berry consomme

wat?

>lovage
YOU TELL ME WHERE YOU LIVE AND IF YOU HAVE MORE LOVAGE AND IF I CAN BUY SOME FROM YOU IF YOU DO. NOW.
My lovage plant died six years ago and no store in my area sells lovage and I have absolutely no luck growing from seed so I can't order online.

I like the sharpie.
The rest looks like shit.

it's not the same process as a traditional consomme, but the result is a clarified fruit liquid.

>berries/fruit/herbs/spices in a metal bowl
>toss in a generous amount of sugar
>wrap tightly with cling wrap
>place on stove on top of pot full of water boiling at a low/medium temp
>let it ride for like 3-4 hours
>strain through chinoise
>strain through a coffee filter

then you have relatively clear fruit flavored liquid

Girardet said : never put more then 3 complex flavours on a plate...

you overkill the dishes op

do you ever make non-meme food?

no.

tell me where there are more than 3 complex flavors.. the flavors are all complementary for the most part.

dude it's basically celery as far as flavor wise.. we have a purveyor we get weird produce from.

here's some non-meme food.. lamb tartare, bread and butter pickles, chinese hot mustard, goat milk caramel, and brioche

I was merely jesting about the meme thing. That looks dank though. Are you a sous?

>portion scoop kek
>l2quenelle m8
>berry consomme too loose
>overall disjointed composition.

>soft boiled
>not 62/63/64 degree egg or poached
>red onion far too thicks
>scallion cuts also pretty weak
>youre going for that soigne sideplating look but everything is too tight, let it flow on the negative space

>weak sideplating
>burning sage is neat but poor delivery
>too much garnish going on at the top of the potato
>the edible flower brings nothing to the dish

Try to get basic plating down before you explore more avant-garde trendy shit. Tweezers for life bro.

It all probably tastes great but get your head out of your ass op.

If you really are the guy from last week I have to say this looks much better m8. Keep it up.

>lovage is basically celery
YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH, YOU LYING SACK OF FUCK!
It's wonderful. It's like ((parsley × celery)^2 × (cicely - cicely's anise-like overtone))^2. It's such a strong, deep, vibrant flavour and I can't find it where I live (nor cicely, for that matter) and I miss it. I haven't had a proper chicken soup in years because of it, though I can sort of mimic its flavour somewhat by powdering parsley, dill and celery seeds together and adding that to a roux when making thickened soups, but it won't give quite the same taste as lovage would in a thin soup.

my quenelle is garbage, m8.. it's almost embarrassing how bad it is. for the egg, i boil em for 5:45 then toss in the ice bath and it's a firm white with runny yolk; red onion def too thick.

the sage was overkill but it's supposed to be. the point was to be smelling the burning sage while eating the tater.

thanks, m8

>beets confit'ed in olive oil/herbs
>cabernet/honey/ver jus dressing
>house made ricotta/basil oil
>candied kumquat/pistachio
>herb salad

no u

soon, hopefully.. thanks m8

Just stopping in to say I reall really like these threads

>yogurt brined sweetbreads
>cold smoked
>pan roasted
>gorgonzola yogurt
>lemongrass/carrot/safrom gastrique
>herb salad tossed in an apple/gorg dressing
>fresh apple

I think you forgot to put food on that plate, OP.

It's pretty, but you need to put a solid object of some form in there to fill the void. That drizzle isn't gonna cut it on it's own

why the mix of starches? Genuinely curious as this sounds good to me but I can't stand tapioca starch

The plating all feels a bit overwrought and old-fashioned

Would still eat thought

it's a 1:1:1 ratio of rice flour/tapioca starch/corn starch.

i have no idea why the mix of starches works so well for dredging/frying things, but it's gluten free and it honestly makes one of the best dredges ever where we dredge tons of things in it, fry them, and they end up crispy and gluten free.

some of it works some doesnt... it all tastes great though so so i'm able to experiment w plating

A few questions:

What kind of restaurant do you work on, are these your creations or you follow recipes?

Caviar is expensive so I guess your ideas have to revolve around needlessly complicated techniques and expensive ingredients shoved into a plate to give a feel of 'fancy'?

I like your techniques but your plating needs some serious work, the potato one has to be the worst so far, how do you even eat that comfortably if there's something burning on the side? It's a shame you do all these sauces or techniques if you're going to hide them behind a hollowed potato with almost no appeal.

And like someone pointed out earlier, too many flavours in one dish, for what purpose? Also I can't tell which ones are entrees, desserts or main dishes.

idk about you OP, but I don't enjoy plating things that take too long, especially during a rush. Also, have you tried eating your own dishes? The berry sauce is so thin, why is it on a plate? Seems like it'd be a struggle to taste it. The pistachios look like they're going to slide around and be hard to pick up. The elements of the dish are all spread out, are we supposed to treat it as separate desserts instead of 1 whole dish? Why does the middle curd not have pistachios? Is the dish practical to eat or do you have to move around the plate to pick up everything? When thinking of dishes I always think of what flavors and textures I want to experience. It should be simple to eat and you should be able to enjoy the elements of the dish in the first 1 or 2 bites. The plating will come naturally afterwards because of how you want the dish to be eaten. DESU OP, your dessert looks a little disjointed.

DESU=to be honest

i work in fine dining.. and i agree, caviar is needlessly expensive and it doesn't taste very good.

the potato was a good dish, and i'd argue that til forever.

most of these plates have like 7-9 components. and yeah, we eat/taste our own dishes constantly.. i feel like you're just looking for reasons to rip the dish apart

This looks like a a village for tiny muslims. I would eat it just to prevent Sharia Law from taking over my kitchen

look just don't randomly scatter the same thing around the plate willy nilly it looks very silly and unasthetic and and just why what is the purpose of that at all?
like those white things with the leaves on them are especially bad
either put them together or in some noticeable pattern
I feel like there's too many anyway and the fact that they are all somewhat similar sizes is also a problem
I would make 3 distinct sizes and then group them all together think like nesting dolls or something like that

>>berry consomme

a consommé is a soup.. if a order a plate with "berry consommé" i expect a deep plate with at least a soup like dishe ( like a "Nage" )

putting a few drops of clear Jus ( thats what it is) in a plate is not a Consommé ...

>consommé is a soup
Chicago style 'za is a consommé then?

Look I don't know anything about food but that plate looks like a fairy with hemorrhoids took a shit on the plate.

Consider plating arrangement like you would consider, say, essay writing. You have to think about what your audience is, what your "reader" is going to be doing when they get your "essay". How are they going to approach it? How do you, as the writer, want to direct their eyes, their noses, and most importantly their forks for the first bite?

uh does this not look like some primo Chicago 'za to you friend?

it's a consomme in the loosest sense of the word.. it's just clarified sauce desu