Food for cycling

Cycling for more than 20 miles without water and 50 miles without food is really really bad idea.

Most cyclists use bananas, gronola bars, power gels/bars and even chocolate. I'm not a pro cyclist, so I'm looking for more interesting alternatives. Be creative, it can be anything that's:
1. Small/easy to carry.
2. High in carbs.
3. Low in protein (optional).
4. Little-to-no fat (optional).

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1MQakN4-emA
drbenkim.com/healthy-energy-balls-recipe.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=u64SFHVYyyg
youtube.com/watch?v=TmDRmr_KFu4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

what's more interesting to you. Jerky? Semen?

>more than 20 miles without water
isn't a 20 mile bike ride well under an hour for an average cyclist? you should be fine. Same with 50 miles without food. You seem like you should work on getting in better shape before looking at exciting food ideas.

Also, the low protein and high fat things shouldn't really be optional, there's a reason people tend to avoid them when doing cardio, they are slow to digest and won't have you feeling great.

Fruit snacks are always a safe bet. Fruits that aren't very high in fiber (bananas, like you said, are the best example) are standards for a reason. Gummis are great as well. The classics are classics for a reason

Bananas, granola bars, power gels, chocolate.

A healthy, robust mix of quinoa and stay the fuck off the road

Low protein you fuckwit.
Learn to read.

peanuts.
very low in sugar so your teeth are safe too.

A small handful packs a huge energy punch. I've experienced it myself.

....but why?

Because that what he asked for, mongo.

Cyclists are not bodybuilders. 100-150gr of protein is all you need per day.

See you don't eat high protein foods during/before extended cardio. Afterwards.

Average cyclist consumes about 500ml per hour due to sweating. Even more if it's hot outside.

There is literally nothing wrong with power bars

Those gu packs are fred cancer though, I dunno what compels dentists to throw their empties all over the ground.

It's what pro racers do so they do it too

Makes me want to kick the spokes out of their zipps and let the neutral support car pop out of the weeds and offer them a new one, oh wait it's not an actual race guess you're fucked lol

joke's on you, it's illegal to ride on sidewalks in my entire county

youtube.com/watch?v=1MQakN4-emA
here you go twat basket.
signed an user who is sick of faggots putting their dumpsters in the middle of the side walk along with all their yard waste, as well as the huge ammount of disrepair they are in compared the roads. drive around you shithead.

gatorade is great because of the molarity/CHO/and absorption rate via stomach content emptying rate.

Cycled 80 kms in one day last week on only a large bowl of oatmeal for breakfast.
It also depends on what you are the day before and how much stamina you have.

* what you ate

I have a friend who swears by honey and chocolate.

>I have a friend who swears by honey and chocolate.

How'd you eat honey while riding?

this shit's retarded. 20 miles without water is dangerous? bro i woke up this morning and went for a 14.5 mile run without taking a sip of water beforehand.

go out there and bike, eat when you get back. bitches be srs

Dates are just about perfect.
High carb, low fat/protein.
Very small and easy to carry.

The only thing I would say though is to remote the pits from them before your ride just so you can easily pop them. You could still pop them without pitting but you run the risk of breaking a tooth, and you will eventually hit a molded/rotten one on the inside so it's better to check before hand while pitting anyway.

>the guy who goes slower than trafic, wears rainbow colored pajama suit, can't afford a car and doesn't understand what a blindspot is calling other people a twat

aha that's fucking rich.

I know what a blind spot is. It's everywhere except the screen on your phone, because you're never actually looking at the road.

Also, I make $108k a year and choose to ride to work. Tell us what kind of shitbox you own so we can have a good laugh.

Post a timestamp of your gut or stfu

you only need water for a bikeride of that distance, if you had a good breakfast there's no need to stock up during if you ate a hearty big breakfast before.

Dates are awesome, try this recipe (I added cognac to the mix and brought it to an XMas party):

drbenkim.com/healthy-energy-balls-recipe.htm

I make 150k a year and I think you're a faggot,

>dem e-salaries

20 miles on a bike is like a 6 mile run, and you don't need water for that unless you start off dehydrated.

50 miles isn't really enough to need food either. Regardless, if you want to bring chow and go cheap, get pop tarts, or make some oatmeal with raisins and brown sugar or honey.

What's the point of exercise if you are going to treat your body poorly? Sure you can lose a couple liter more water before you start getting serious symptoms, but waiting till you are a liter down before you start drinking is still a bad idea.

As for OP, pic related.

Britbong cyclist here.

Not a professional but do a number of Sportive events and week-end cycling around the 60-100 mile mark.

Sunday runs with my club is usually around 60 Miles, we tend to ride to a cafe for a cup of tea and a piece of cake (it's quite a social ride) and then on the way home we tend to split as the faster riders want a burn-out. You can get away without eating or drinking at these distances but it's best if you Carb-load the night before (lots of pasta of something).

On your return, have a protein shake ASAP and within 3 hours have a decent meal to replace lost Carbs.

Just as a boost on the way home, I tend to eat Jelly babies or jelly beans.

Longer than 50-60 miles, it's a different story, you have to eat little and often, otherwise you 'bonk'!

A wrap sounds nice.
Carbs from the tortilla and fill it with what you want. Rice for more carbs
Easy to carry and eat if you wrap it tight enough

Did you do the Wolds sportive this weekend?

I don't think you've ever cycled. It's a lot more high energy than walking.
And let's face it, you don't 'run'. You manage a waddle at most.

Evidently you're a lycra warrior, so my advice is lost on you. However, money is lighter than food.
Stop for lunch.
At a pub.
And eat there. Something greasy and calorie-dense.
Have a couple of drinks while the food settles.
Then carry on.

I ride no less than 100 miles per week and do a century about every two months. If I'm riding further than 50 miles, I bring a jelly sandwich. I got that tip from a tour de france competitor. Some Australian dude. It sounded wise enough so I began doing it starting in 2010. It's worked just fine. I have no intention of changing to something else. Plus, it's a lot cheaper than buying name brand gels and other expensive fuel.

And anyone knocking the consumption of water for any length of exercise is a complete fool.

Stopping for more than 15 minutes on a long fast ride is a recipe for cramps, but i wouldn't expect someone who is afraid of wearing proper attire for long rides to know that, seeing as you'd know why lycra is useful if you actually did serious long distance riding

CLIF bars holy motherfuck these are good

like they're basically glorified candy bars with fiber and pumped with a multivitamin, but god damn are they good.

A .45 in your mouth. One bullet provides just enough protons.

What the fuck? 20 miles well under an hour? Pros in good conditions average 23-24 MPH, but a good solid speed for most people is closer to 15-18. 20 miles in an hour is fucking working at it, which is all the more reason why you don't go 20 miles without water.

I can hit about 40mph with a 53x11 on the flats with my road bike. I can hold this for a few miles before I burn out. I always end up running out of gearing with a 46t when in route to trails. I understand you think you are some elite rider that 'knows' everything about biking but I think you are just weak as fuck.

actually i typically do my long runs at 6:50 pace. though i do admit i've never cycled in my life, people have told me that usually 6 miles of biking equates to a mile of biking. idk how true that is, but theres no way 20 miles on a bike is very hard if i can do 14 miles at 6:50 pace without water or food before or during the run

Or you can just eat it whenever you want.

Carb loading is a well established technique for endurance sports, go back to your calories in calories out fattie threads

you don't know what you're talking about and just admitted it. good job.
20 miles cycling is not equivalent to 6 miles running that's just retarded.

You really shouldn't do 14 miles without water though. You surviving mild dehydration doesn't invalidate everything else.

Just stay off the fun driving roads you cunt.
youtube.com/watch?v=u64SFHVYyyg

I see no problems here, except for too many internal combustion engines

It's time to reconsider the failed urban planning experiments of the mid 20th century

Pretty close.

It's about a 1 to 3 ratio running to biking, where 1 mile of running is about the equivalent of 3 miles on a bike as far as energy expense.

As far as water consumption goes, I guess it depends on your experience level and energy expenditure. I don't worry about water at distances that take me an hour, or so, or less, but I'd agree there's no harm in staying hydrated.

>Veeky Forums board
>hates cyclists

Fatso confirmed.

Definitely a lycra warrior. I bet you wear a helmet camera and post videos on youtube of you shouting obscenities at car drivers, and being knocked into the gutter by them.

I ride off-road. I'd like to see your shitty road bikes make it through half the shit I get over without issue. And wearing jeans is a necessity when you're riding paths that might not have been cleared this decade, with barbed wire on one side.

I own a car for long distances anyway.

Why would you ever think a road bike is even meant to go off road? Are you actually this retarded?

Peanuts are high in oils and proteins and relatively low on carbs. Pretty much the exact opposite of what OP asked for.

>Look how brave I am for riding my bike in the park!
But you're afraid to mix with traffic unless you're in your 5900 pound SUV

In other words, you're a huge pussy with zero bike handling skills

Idk about that man.
in my experience drivers don't really move over for bikers I mostly ride on the side walk and ive almost been clipped 5 times when I've been on the side of the road.

Meanwhile cars like move into the opposite lane for pedestrians

>I mostly ride on the side walk
If you are under the age of 18, discontinue browsing immediately

Just curious, what city ya in?

Im 21 I just don't want to get hit by a car and get sued for messing up their Benz

its a small suburb of NYC everyone is a rich fuck with a nice new car and everything is so far from everything else you have to drive so the roads are always pretty busy

Carb loading for endurance training is just fucking retarded. Go high fat instead.

Which suburb? I live in Manhattan and mostly ride in the city but I've gone on rides out in the surrounding suburbs, it's great. Been as far out as Hauppage to the east and Poughkeepsie to the north. People are a bit less prepared to see a bike but they handle themselves OK for the most part.

You should try riding in the rural Midwest if you want to see scary homicidal drivers. Just the sight of a bike and these hicks can only think of murder.

I live in the rural Midwest and would never ride my bike out on the highway so I'm always riding on the sidewalk in town.

Plus there's no bike lanes anywhere.

so what. did you know the heart runs on fat?

Pleasantville. I'm just scared a soccer mom cunt is gonna run me over and sue me for emotions distress and for a new Benz cause my head dented the fender. plus no bike lanes and a lot of the streets I like to ride down don't even have side walks

thats a good point tho I'll have to stay away from biking in the midwest where someone can mow you down and you won't be found for a day or two.

My bike is worth more than your car, faggot.

Unless someone is going out of their way to create a dangerous situation (and this does happen but it's rare in the NY metro), you can learn to ride defensively so that "accidents" (a misnomer) are unlikely. I ride at least 5k miles a year, in all seasons, and most of the time when I get in a bad situation, looking back I can think of how that could have been avoided.

Having an excess of visibility equipment, assuming you're invisible regardless, and holding your own safety above your own ego or trying to be "polite" by ceding too much lane, and it ends up being pretty safe. You do need to learn the difference between being physically close to a motor vehicle, and being endangered by it.

Also minivans are death on wheels, if you see one assume the driver intends to kill you. 99% of the incidents where I thought I could have been killed, it was a fucking minivan.

I'd take runningfags over cyclefags any day of the week.

>But you're afraid to mix with traffic

You ever think some people just think it's plain rude to get out on a busy road on a bike and impede the flow of traffic?

I do, which is why I don't do it.

20 banana smoothie with half a pound of organic cane sugar + dechlorified water

youtube.com/watch?v=TmDRmr_KFu4

2 minutes in

Except that you're the ones double parked in the bike lane, while I'm riding past dozens of cars stuck in gridlock every block. For every car that passes me on the way to work, I'm passing about twenty.

You'd think you'd be grateful that I'm reducing congestion, but instead you're mad that someone is actually moving while you seethe with impotent rage because you're not.

>you should be grateful while I'm doing 15 mph in a 45 mph zone, impeding the flow of traffic, and actually contributing to the gridlock I think I should be celebrated for decreasing in my warped vision of reality...

>45 zone
Try a 25mph max, city wide
On average, the cars are lucky if they're doing 15

Does this upset you? I hope so.

How come I never block the traffic then?

Maybe because I'm respectful to other cars by showing turn signals, obeying the traffic lights and every other rule? If I'm slowing you down, move two feet to the left and overtake me.

If thats too complicated for you, apply this gel to your butthurt area.

Pizza,bananas, gronola bars, power gels/bars and even chocolate

MTB's are for fags btw

>MTB's are for fags

Thats why I do road. It doesn't get more badass than this.

>I don't think you've ever cycled. It's a lot more high energy than walking.

not per unit of distance

Please re-read the SI Brochure

why

it takes less energy to travel the same distance on a bike

>cars are the best way to travel always!!!!!!!

ok bud have a fun time waiting 15 minutes to drive what would be a 5 minute bike ride because of traffic and red lights

>thinks everyone that bicycles lives in a congested urban shithole

Yes. Bicycles are the most efficient human-powered method of transport per mile.

However, walking for an hour is three miles, but burns less energy than an hour's cycling.
But an hour's cycling could get you 10-20 miles away.

I think they're too scared to go near mud. They might get their leggings dirty.

I don't think you understand. To get to the good bits, you have to mix it up with traffic.
Do you know how to draft large vehicles? Do it on a regular basis?
Navigate complex roundabouts?
Deal with heavy traffic that's actually going slower than you as you come off a descent, while dodging potholes and speed bumps and buses?
Woven through pedestrians on a crowded street?
I bet you've never even had to evade someone intent on killing you.

> Bike handling skills
You can't 'handle' a road bike. It's literally just go or fall over since you're clipped on. I bet you fucks would even tie your hands to the bars if it'd get you more efficiency.

Go back to your tracks and your approved routes. I'll do my level best to ruin the efficiency of anyone in lycra, even if it means burnout-style takedowns into parked cars.

dude I live in the suburbs and it takes 5 minutes to bike to the store and 15 minutes to drive because there are three traffic lights and there is always traffic

>death threats
Are you a Navy Seal too?

I'm a roadie and I think you are just being stupid.

It's not a matter of getting leggings dirty but we avoid mud because we just shouldn't have to deal with it, my front tyre is slick and at 120psi my rear tyre is at 140psi . . .it's meant for roads not farm tracks.

We also cover greater distances than you kids on your BMX's . .. . so we need proper fuelling, which is mainly Carbs.

A few Mountain bikers have tried to compete with us but die in a matter of minutes, they just don't understand the different diets.

keto mouthpiece pls go

why are you advising people not to drink water? there is literally no reason not to drink water. i run too, and even when i go 20-25+ i never bring anything with me on the run unless it's a race or a brick workout, but i sure as fuck will camel up beforehand. OP is obviously pretty casual, so it really isn't your place to demand the same spartan (some would say asinine) water discipline of him as you apply to yourself

>oatmeal
>on a bike
what are you smoking and where can i get some

>there is literally no reason not to drink water
sure there is. You can die if you drink too much water and don't have enough salt in your system. some athletes do die from this.

ok i will concede that one or two fucking nooblets die every year from drinking absurd amounts of water. like, the amount of water you have to drink to get to that level would make you uncomfortably full and sloshy long before you're in any danger. i'm not trying to say you're not a badass for "surviving" with less water than is generally recommended. you're a total badass. i get it. but don't advise casuals to go without it, because they'll probably blow up, and burn out on exercising, and go back to being shits

It's much, much easier and more likely that someone will suffer dehydration from not drinking enough water than drinking so much water that they harm themselves. Especially here in the South or anywhere else with a hot climate, you can get dehydrated just from standing and walking around in the sun during the Summer. I'm assuming you live in Europe or the Pacific Northwest if you aren't suffering horribly when you bike for hours without constantly drinking water.

You're a fucking moron and have literally no clue what you're talking about

Hitting a parked car on a bicycle won't kill you. It'll just hurt and make you look stupid.

> Slick tires
So, what do you do when it rains and you're in a crosswind? Give up? Aquaplane into a ditch?

Otherwise, you're missing the best scenery, and shitting up good roads with your pelotons. Saw a racer nearly hit a car today while they were fucking up flow on a dangerous junction.

> Salt
Actually a serious problem in a british summer. You've basically either got to stop at a chippy, or drop into a Tesco for some crisps to get the salt back into you.
You know it's been a good ride when you have to take a shower once you get home, in order to wash the salt off you.

>So, what do you do when it rains and you're in a crosswind? Give up? Aquaplane into a ditch?
Just how fast are you going, Navy Seal? They must give you guys something a lot better than EPO in the seals, because not even Armstrong is going fast enough to hydroplane even on the fastest descent humanly possible.

I don't quite think you understand how hard it rains in britain, or how fast the wind comes whipping across the downs sometimes.
It's not really a factor of speed, it's more that the wind is blowing you sideways and your slick tires aren't displacing any of the water.

i not keto. i'm just reflecting on my experience with peanuts and mountain biking. they're a great source of energy!

You are the one with the poor understanding of how bicycles work in the rain

The aviation community worked out a pretty accurate formula for hydroplane speeds

It is very much a factor of speed, so unless British cyclists have very unusual gear ratios and regularly ride down 12% slopes with a 50mph tailwind and are also as strong as an Olympic sprinter, you're not hydroplaning, except in your fantasies. Because hydroplane speeds on a 120psi road tire are faster than terminal velocity while wearing a skin suit in a full aero tuck