BEST CONCENTRATION METHODS FOR DEMIGLACE

Hello,

My name is Brian and I have been interested in cooking as a hobby for a few years now. My son recommended this site to me and showed me how to use it. Basically, I am attempting a demi-glace for the second time and am wondering how many times I get can get away with reducing the six gallons of veal stock I made without ruining the flavor or consistency. Basically I want to concentrate it as much as possible.

Thank you for your suggestions,

BH

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aFaqxBXIM3E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Simmer until desired consistency. Strain out any scum/impurities that start floating on top.

You can reduce it as much as you want without adverse effects as long as you don't burn it. Super thick, reduced stock is called glace, and can be bought in little tubs. You can also add more water to a reduced stock and thin it out without a problem. Either way you're just adding or getting rid of water, the flavor isn't going anywhere.

Brain,

Nice of you to stop by and visit us. We here at Veeky Forums recognize you wanting to advance your culinary skills to become a better home cook and or certified and licensed professional chef. Let me first start saying you should fucking use Google. For literally everything. If you can't screw in a light bulb, Good it. If your penis has stopped working for some reason, Google it. When you're trying to Google something and Google isn't working, Google it. You're in the wrong neighborhood--this is likely the equivalent of pulling up to an african-american ghetto and asking where the nearest Michelin Star restaurant is, or where you can obtain a nice Freiherr Langwerth von Simmern Hattenheimer Nussbrunnen Riesling. Kindly screw off, and hope you find what your looking for.

Best wishes,
Veeky Forums

the safest method is to reduce at a very low simmer: 190F in a large stock pot. as it gets to a thick, molasses consistency, stir frequently until it will ribbon off the spoon. thats as far as you can take it as a liquid. if you want it mostly solid, spread it on baking sheets and place in oven at its lowest setting until you can scrape it up with a spoon.

Piss off, retard.

>six gallons of veal stock
Where did you get six gallons of veal stock, just out of interest?

Could I wait until after it's refrigerated and jellified and scrape the fat off the top or do I need to do that while it's still warm liquid?

Ha ha! You're mostly right it seems, after I've poked around here a bit. I'm not gonna run off just yet though. And what I was wondering I couldn't exactly google, which was if reducing this huge amount (six gallons) of stock over and over would concentrate it better or not, that's all. No worries.

I made it, sir, by boiling many, many veal bones.

That's a lot of bones.
Where did you get them?

youtube.com/watch?v=aFaqxBXIM3E

A good friend happens to be the best butcher I know, so I got a considerably good deal. I ended up with almost 60lbs of bones, which is why I made so much stock.

This reCAPTCHA is the most annoying damned thing, do I have to do it every single time?

Absolutely rekt!

you should defat completely before reducing any further.

Yes, you have to do it every time, unless you buy a Veeky Forums pass for 20$ per year.
You seem like a total bro btw, so don't listen to the trolls and keep posting good stuff. You might wanna drop your name though and post anonymously, because namefags and tripfags are generally frowned upon.

I'm afraid so unless you buy a pass.
Also, ignore He's a serial troll who really messes up this place. His posting style is unique and it becomes easy to filter him out with a bit of time and experience.

Wow Brian, I wish I could find a deal like that!

Right, will do.

Love Chef John, sir! I give everything the ooooooool' tappa tappa, shaka shaka, pinch'a cayenne.

Oh, I gotcha. I did notice I was the only person doing that but I didn't think to take it out of the field.

I'm actively looking to dox him.
Joe Hobart is my primary target though, that little Carolina faggot is going to be first.
>ay lamo

Before reducing, pass through a fine chinois. Also skim as much fat as possible until you can barely see any. Add a half bottle of red wine. Reduce it until it coats a spoon. Be sure to use smaller pans as it reduces to eliminate the chance of it burning.

That might have been where I goofed last time, I reduced it in the same large pan each time. At least it was just a smaller test batch! And fortunately I have a good fine-mesh strainer that should work fine.