This one is mine, 3.7 mm thick and 11" in diameter

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Explorer-EX-60LW-2-Burner/dp/B0006VORDY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>owning nice things
Spot the trust fund kid who thinks he can cook

how dare you have money

how dare you

That pan is probably more expensive than I could justify spending, but typically it's better to buy an $80 pan that'll last you for life rather than going through 20 cheap ones.

I don't get why everyone is so hyped about your pan, it looks like it has bird shit in it.

I don't understand what's going on with the lid. Is it just pushed to the side?

It's not on straight so we can mire op's tin

But when it's on straight is it held up by that extra long handle? It doesn't look big enough to fit over the lip.

I'm too lazy to take a picture, and it's getting pretty late.

I have a cast iron skillet that has years and years of baked/burned on funk.

I've got this outdoor propane stove: amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Explorer-EX-60LW-2-Burner/dp/B0006VORDY

On the left burner, I had the aforesaid skillet, and on the right, a newer one. Same size, same brand. I was pan-frying some pork chops outside earlier today. The difference in how they cook is night and day. I'm still amazed every time I fire that dude up just how great he performs. Wish I had a dozen of these dudes.

He kind of looks like the skillet on the right in pic related.

OP here, it just looks weird because of the perspective. The lid covers the entirety of the pan when it's on straight, I just offset it so the rim of the pan is visible.

Figured if I was going to write a long reply, that I might as well post some OC.

>that left pan
threw up in my mouth a little, that's absolutely disgusting mate

When you drag your finger across it, it's bone dry. Not even the slightest bit of grease. And it's hard as a rock. It's just polymerized oil taken to its extreme.

I'm sorry man but that's not oil, that's charred remains of burnt food. If it were oil the surface would be smooth, since any oil that reaches a temperature high enough to polymerize is liquid.

This picture is why anyone who uses cast iron automatically is wrong about any topic whatsoever, no exceptions

Perhaps, but it's not like it's ashy or flaky. While it's not perfectly flat, it is smooth in the sense that it's not gritty.

It needed sanding once upon a time, but the carbon layer is built up over what is probably flaked up iron, not leftover food.

It's fine to leave it now, as long as you keep it clean. If you get to scratching on it you can loose some of the iron and then you'd have to reseason it. I don't see it harboring any bacteria however.

The reason to hold onto an old pan is that they were cast with a much smoother surface, such that they seem more nonstick once seasoned. I've seen some as shiny and smooth as glass.

My ex-mother-in-law had one that had the crustiness on the sides only. She simmered tomato stock in it and primarily used the pan for veal parmesan night. Panfried in stages, and then put back in the pan with introduction of the sauce and kept warm under the oven til dinner and pasta completion. I was horrified but got over it. We didn't use cast iron in my house cept for fried okra, fried green tomatoes, and plantains. Cubed steak as country steak style from time to time. Didn't really fry a damn thing other than that.

It was as smooth as the one on the right, but what I did was fry food on top of coals from a dying fire, and when I was done, I turned it upside down to burn out any remaining food or grease.

As long as it doesn't get in the food, you're golden.

This pan gave me cancer just by looking at it, don't know how you're still alive

>cast iron autists will defend this

As long as you're not making sauces in it, I don't see what it would hurt.

Real men*

FTFY

This.

>look at "my" expensive stuff
It's your mom's, and she's a shit cook

I guarantee you I could cook circles around her with my Ikea knife and $15 pan

>being this jelly

Copper thread? Fresh tin highly related. He even polished the outside, which I didn't necessarily need but it sure looks pretty.

What is this pan and why is it so valuable?

>angie did nothing wrong
what did he mean by this

>implying Angie did anything wrong