Vegetarian/vegan and vitamin deficiency

Hey Veeky Forums, I've been a vegetarian/vegan for about 2 years now. It's been a good choice so far, I think.

However, over the past year I've been sick several times for at least a week. I've never been sick this frequently before, and I believe it may be because I'm suffering from vitamin deficiency.

I want to continue eating plants without eating meat, but I don't want to feel like shit because I don't get enough vitamins and stuff.

Does anyone know which vitamins you need to eat to stay healthy and in which veggies or pills you can get these?

I'm from the Netherlands, so any suggestions for local vitamin pills would be a plus!

Other urls found in this thread:

nutritionfacts.org/video/vitamin-supplements-worth-taking/
nutritionfacts.org/2014/12/18/the-vitamin-everyone-on-a-plant-based-diet-needs/
washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/05/23/woman-trying-to-prove-vegans-can-do-anything-among-three-dead-on-everest-two-more-missing-and-thirty-sick-or-frostbitten/
vrg.org/nutshell/omni.htm
onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1196/annals.1396.037/full
blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/human-ancestors-were-nearly-all-vegetarians/
allaboutwildlife.com/what-do-chimps-eat
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Didn't read your post, the fuck is the idea here? Mason jar salad? That looks annoying as fuck to eat out of. God damn hipsters.

I'm sorry, this was the only vegetable thing I had on my computer. I'd prefer not to be compared to hipsters, though.

Every vegan ends up where you are eventually, and sorry, you gotta choose your priorities. You can't be healthy AND vegan.

As long as your fork's long enough to reach the bottom, it's just like eating out of a bowl. The real problem with that image is that the salad's packed too tight. The ingredients won't mix when it's shaken, and will spill if you mix it with a fork.

Can you give an overview of your daily diet and what kind of sickness you are getting?

Can we just go ahead and merge Veeky Forums with Veeky Forums?

Is the point to shake the jar to mix everything? It all just seems needlessly complicated. Getting exactly what you want onto your fork will be a bitch. Maybe I just want some apple or walnut in this bite. Why not just use a bowl?

Pretty sure you can just take a general multi-vitamin. Go check with a doctor first. Find out what's going on exactly.

Veeky Forums because Veeky Forums's mods actually do their job...

The point is to put your food in a mason jar because Pinterest eats that shit up, user. But yeah, long as you pack it right, shaking the salad works. It distributes the dressing evenly.

It's like a revival of the year 2000 salad-shaking fad. But with a container that's easier to break!

Being healthy as a vegetarian is fairly easy, but takes some rudimentary considerations like making your own dairy products etc

But being a vegan makes it difficult as fuck. You're probably going to be very low in creatine, b vitamins (esp b-12), calcium, iron, vitamin D, omega 3 to name but a few.

I'd focus foremost on calcium and b12 since they're pretty difficult to deal with as a vegan and cause the biggest problems.

Like the other guy said, it's pretty hard to be vegan and healthy. It's also very difficult to take vitamins since so many are linked to animal testing or even animal products.

Personally I'd recommend eating like a human being, but whatever floats your goat.

You need to get a blood test to affirm what possible deficiencies or just general sickness you could possibly have

Just become a pescetarian instead.

It's not like fish have families to mourn them

Get your blood tested for vitamin/mineral deficiency.

>Does anyone know which vitamins you need to eat to stay healthy and in which veggies or pills you can get these?
The only vitamins you can't find in plant foods are B12 (made by bacteria) & D (comes from Sun exposure).
nutritionfacts.org/video/vitamin-supplements-worth-taking/
nutritionfacts.org/2014/12/18/the-vitamin-everyone-on-a-plant-based-diet-needs/

Never drink diet, that shit will kill your ovaries.

>being vegetarian
>making your own dairy products
What do you mean?

Always take vitamin D. (vegetarian or not)
Especially if you have an office job.
Even more so when you're black.
Take at least 15 ug (600IU) daily.
20-30 ug daily is ideal.

Also take B12 but your body has quite a large B12 reserve so it's not a short term problem.
But still take it to avoid long term problems.

Take half yearly or yearly blood tests to look for vitamin deficiencies.

>You can't be healthy AND vegan.
lmao this is the ultimate piece of bullshit still perpetrated by unwitting meat/dairy/egg industry shills

American Dietetic Association:
>It is the position of the American Dietetic Association that appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets, are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and may provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. Well-planned vegetarian diets are appropriate for individuals during all stages of the life cycle, including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, and adolescence, and for athletes.

Dietitians of Canada:
>A well planned vegan diet can meet all of these needs. It is safe and healthy for pregnant and breastfeeding women, babies, children, teens and seniors.

The British National Health Service:
>With good planning and an understanding of what makes up a healthy, balanced vegan diet, you can get all the nutrients your body needs.

The Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada:
>Vegetarian diets (see context) can provide all the nutrients you need at any age, as well as some additional health benefits.

Harvard Medical School:
>Traditionally, research into vegetarianism focused mainly on potential nutritional deficiencies, but in recent years, the pendulum has swung the other way, and studies are confirming the health benefits of meat-free eating. Nowadays, plant-based eating is recognized as not only nutritionally sufficient but also as a way to reduce the risk for many chronic illnesses.

biologically humans should be eating very little to no animal products though, similar to our nearest evolutionary cousins - chimps/bonobos/etc.

Any deficiencies amongst veg*ns are a result of the way we process/refine food and not their low/no consumption of animal products. On average omnivores are actually deficient in more vitamins than veg*ans (calcium, fibre, vit C and E, etc.) - the killer one that veg*ans are deficient in though is B12, which in the wild would come in the form of dirt on fruit and so forth. Meat eaters typically get this via fecal matter/other dirt left on the animals they eat

>Get malnourished due to lacking several organic compounds from meat and animal products
>I AM NOT MALNOURISHED

washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/05/23/woman-trying-to-prove-vegans-can-do-anything-among-three-dead-on-everest-two-more-missing-and-thirty-sick-or-frostbitten/
Topkek

I hope you don't actually believe the bullshit in that chart you posted you fucking retard.
If bait 8/10, I'm mad as fuck

>I quote academics saying that there's nothing inherently unhealthy about veganism, and that it in fact might actually be healthier than a diet including animal products
>you send me some shitty tabloid-tier story about how a woman died on Everest (lol ofc no meat eaters ever die on Everest) for reasons totally unrelated to her veganism
ok man

right ok so do you want to explain why you think it's bullshit or what

Do you really expect anything but scorn? 4 chan does not pity you

First humans are omnivores, trying to put them in their own distinct category is wrong, literally any point on the chart where "omnivore" differs from "human" they've made a mistake.
As for some of the individual categories...
Vision is wrong, plenty of carnivores like bats and owls have full colour vision
Brain Chemsitry is wrong, almost all carnivores/herbivores/omnivores have identical metabolisms, all relying on glucose, carnivores merely convert amino acids to glucose first
Circadian Rhythm, this section is utter nonsense, yeah man my dog sleeps 20 hours a day!
I'm not gonna go through the whole thing but its the same for all of them, tongue texture doesn't relate to diet, the tooth section is bullshit as carnivores don't have molars at all and herbivores don't have incisors at all, the limb/locomotion section is bs, it even shows a chimp as a frugivore even though chimps are cannibalistic..... the whole thing is either bullshit or irrelevant. Even other vegetarian/vegans recognize that "Humans are classic examples of omnivores in all relevant anatomical traits. There is no basis in anatomy or physiology for the assumption that humans are pre-adapted to the vegetarian diet"
vrg.org/nutshell/omni.htm

Jesus Christ, you're a vegan and don't know what vitamins to take??

In the "you absolutely have to take this or you increase your risk of heart disease and dementia to at least the level of meat eaters" category:

Methylcobalamin B12 - at least 1000mcg once per day, or 5000mcg once per week

Also consider taking at least 1g of creatine monohydrate per day - the body creates about 1g on its own and meat eaters get an extra 1g from meat. In vegetarians, but not in meat eaters, creatine supplementation is associated with better memory/cognition.

If you don't get much sun, vitamin D

Other than that, a magnesium/calcium/zinc supplement with breakfast for bone health.

> dying on mount everest

Dozens of people die every year on that mountain, including sherpas, and the vast majority of them eat meat.

>similar to our nearest evolutionary cousins - chimps/bonobos/etc.
Both bonobos and chimps regularly and routinely eat meat and gain nutrients from animals, insects, larva, grubs, fish, amphibians and more.

>Any deficiencies amongst veg*ns are a result of the way we process/refine food and not their low/no consumption of animal products.
This has been studied time and time again and shown to be absolutely false. Again, being a vegetarian means it's still fairly easy to have a wide varied nutrient profile, being a vegan makes it near impossible. This isn't about morals or ethics or what side you come down on, it's hard study and evidence based fact, not to mention common sense.

Your b12 analogy is also straight out of vegan bullshit 101. Almost all sources of b12 in a natural human diet are from animals and insects

I don't care what you chose to eat or don't, but I have no idea why you're choosing to ignore reality when it comes to evidence and study and can only conclude that it's because you're upset that it goes against what you mistakenly believe to be true.

>First humans are omnivores, trying to put them in their own distinct category is wrong, literally any point on the chart where "omnivore" differs from "human" they've made a mistake.
Humans had their own category so we could cross-compare their features with the features of omnivores, herbivores and so forth. It's rather simple

You nitpicking individual categories isn't going to detract from the fact that, in general, species that can be categorised into dietetic subsets (like carnivores) share many of the same features. This is because these shared features are all the result of their evolutionary progression and aid them in seeking their optimal foods. Intuitively speaking, the fact humans share virtually nothing in common with any other omnivore or carnivore should be an indicator that we are neither of those things. You pointing out that some birds or bats have colour vision (both not mammals which was the tables medium for comparison) isn't going to detract from that fact.

The healthiest population(s) on Earth eat little to no meat (because humans are not naturally omnivorous and thus meat is not an optimal source of nutrition at all).
onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1196/annals.1396.037/full
(look at the table further down in the article to see a breakdown of their caloric intake)

>even shows a chimp as a frugivore even though chimps are cannibalistic
That's because less than 1% of their caloric intake is from meat. It would be silly to classify them as omnivorous on the basis of this. It's more of a ritualistic thing and not at all a dietetic necessity (similar to us, their evolutionary cousins)

blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/human-ancestors-were-nearly-all-vegetarians/

The site you linked is notorious for being a little nutty (look at how poorly designed it is) - catering to desperate people like you who still want to be convinced their bacon or steak isn't unhealthy for them. Link a scientific article next time.

Do you actually eat a balanced diet?

Far to many vegans literally eat shit meat substitutes or eat junk. I know to many people who gave up meat for health reasons and doubled down on the junk food then blamed their poor nutrition on the lack of meat

Your probably fine just see a doctor

To all the dumbasses in this thread you can survive with out eating any meat there are plant sources of everything you need they just aren't super dense sources like animals

Just cause a serving of beans doesn't have as much protein as a chicken breast doesn't mean it's a bad source of protien

>Both bonobos and chimps regularly and routinely eat meat and gain nutrients from animals, insects, larva, grubs, fish, amphibians and more.
"only a very tiny percentage–perhaps as small as two percent–of a wild chimp’s diet consists of meat or insects."
insects form the basis of this 2% as well (and many of those insects are ingested via the fruit they eat)
allaboutwildlife.com/what-do-chimps-eat

>being a vegan makes it near impossible. be absolutely false
Can you please provide sources for these claims? As mentioned in a previous comment , the scientific consensus is that vegan diets are perfectly healthy and may even provide health benefits when compared to the standard omnivorous diet. There is no nutrient found in meat that can't be found in plants, fruits, nuts, etc.

MD in Canada here.

Vegans are at risk of B12 deficiency. Vegetarians less so. It is a good idea to take a B12 supplement. You can easily look up a list of B12 containing foods if you would like to add a little more through dietary sources (such as egg.).

Eating less red meat puts you at risk for iron deficiency. If you really feel like crap it is not a bad idea to get blood tested for anemia. Iron supplementation sucks and makes people constipated, so again looking for dietary sources is preferable.

As for immunity, Vitamin D and C can help to reduce the frequency of colds. Vit C ~ 500 to 1000 mg per day. Don't do super high doses like 5000 plus. Vit C I recommend 1000 to 5000 IU per day to people in the North, like in Canada.

Can you give anymore information about your diet? Sometimes vegetarians eat very healthy, sometimes not.

Footnote: There have been studies suggesting vitamin D supplementation is useless. These studies have been criticized because the treatment groups who are taking vitamin D still don't get their levels in the 'normal range'. Such studies are flawed. We need to look at relative levels influencing health.

I forgot to say, I recommend that everyone take Vitamin D and a multivitamin every day if they can afford it. While you CAN do very well meeting your nutritional needs with food alone, a multivitamin can give you an extra boost, so why not. I also recommend everyone take a fiber supplement, although most people aren't vegetarians. You may not need any more fiber.

if you are recommending multivitamins you aren't a good MD. even if we assume that they actually work, this is a bad thing to recommend it because it can lead to overdoses of certain things that people don't need more of, like vitimine A, almost none of the vitamins are made equal and made up of stuff you can't eat too much of so stop recing everyone take you you ass planet. you need to know exactly what someones diet looks like and have an exact pill to recommend.

>routinely

It's a very small fraction of their diet, and it's almost entirely from insects that they find on themselves

>being a vegan makes it near impossible

You're clearly very misinformed.

B12 is actually supplemented in animals interestingly enough as its a bacteria. There's some discourse that supports the idea that B12 used to be much more prevalent in our foods, waters ,and dirts before modern agricultural practices and sanitization

>ignore reality when it comes to evidence and study

Hilarious

Overdosing from a multivitamin a day is not likely unless there are other problems in the diet. Most people are deficient, rather than having extremely high levels of various nutrients. You seem a little easily triggered and might do well with some Zoloft.

you probably dump it out into a bowl

i don't know why you wouldn't just put it into a bowl in the first place, but it's not that fucking hard to figure out

go to a doctor and make sure it's a vitamin deficiency. have them do blood tests. don't just assume you have a deficiency because it could be a more serious issue that needs addressing.

>HAHA I FOUND THIS ONE ISOLATED INCIDENT THAT INVOLVED A STUPID VEGAN, GET REKT

bruh