BBQ the way you define it

I was curious how Veeky Forums defines a bbq.
What has to be there in order to be the quintessential bbq party that you would meet your definition?
I'm referring to everything from food to drinks to possibly the set up.
Thanks

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xz1cee_94L4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I don't consider BBQ and a BBQ party the same thing, but do use both terms.

BBQ is slow smoked meat. A BBQ party usually just involves grilling, and alcohol, and everyone being outside.

Moron.

I'm referring to a proper party with a smoker. Not that propane pleb shit.
Say you were to hire a catering company to throw a backyard party, what would you want?

South Carolina mustard sauce. Otherwise it's either a vinegary mess or dry dry rubs

youtube.com/watch?v=xz1cee_94L4

Meat cooked or smoked in an outdoor appliance for long periods. None of this 5 min "cook" bullshit. Sauce is usually dependent on your area.

Greens, baked beans, bread, fruit, beer, and of course the meats.

Dry rub is the original and correct way, right? I heard sauce is used to hide poor quality/sloppy work.
Kek

In Texas it is. Salt and pepper rub, let the smoke and meat do the work.

When most people say they're having a BBQ they're talking about grilling burgers and sausages to order for a bunch of people drinking and socializing around the grill. OP asked how you define it, and that's how most people define it.

Why you think people only grill with propane is beyond me. Charcoal is much more common.

Yeah, that's what I thought.
What else is heresy in bbq?
Besides propane and sauce of course.
I'm thinking of getting a smoker because why not? I'm sick of pleb bbq.

I guess if you don't know how to cook. If I were invited to a burger and dog only BBQ I would probably leave.

It depends. I wouldn't refuse proper BBQ at all. Some people believe charcoal is the only way, but its not really. It does require more time and tending which can create the illusion that you put more heart into it, but I don't taste a difference.

If you are down to smoke, get one. MES are actually quite affordable and are surprisingly good.

>Charcoal is much more common.

Where I live everyone uses propane.

I should have clarified what I meant in my post. I dun goofed. I forgot that bbq gets thrown around a lot.

>If I were invited to a burger and dog only BBQ I would probably leave

I bet you also post in chili threads, insisting that chili shouldn't have beans in it, even though that's how 90% of people eat it.

No I don't. I just don't see the point to standing around eating hockey pucks over small talk.

>MES
Masterbuilt Electric Smoker?

Their prices look reasonable and are probably easier for a beginner I'm assuming. The temp is probably easier to control and all you do is add woodchips.
Thanks user

Fuck you pleb.

Yeah thats the gist of it. You will want oak, cherry, pecan, hickory, apple. Get the small chips, not chunks. Also, don't fall for the windowed one unless you want to scrub it after every use. This is the 30" without window. Think it was 179.99 delivered on amazon.

Because it's a party? Where food is being cooked to order? You can even speak up and tell the person grilling that you don't want your burger well-done, and maybe next time you wont end up with a hockey puck.

Is BBQ really the only thing you ever eat?

No, it's not, but that doesn't change that fact that simply going somewhere to eat cheap burgers and hotdogs isn't appealing to me. Even less the mindless banter that happens as people try to find commonalities to socialize about when there are none.

That being said, there are plenty of BBQ's I would attend as a contributing person. Ribs, briskets, etc.

Thanks again for the help.

Next I'm going to start making cornbread from scratch and maybe macaroni and cheese.

I might as well be productive while I recover from surgery.

So you like smoked meat, think all burgers and sausages are cheap and disgusting, don't know what a party is, and otherwise don't have any friends that you occasionally get together with (unless there's smoked meat involved, for some reason)?

Got it.

As cheesy of a line as this is, if youre looking, youre not cooking, its 100% right. Set and leave it alone.

Think you finally got it!

You are going to get a lot of autism from clappyfats in this thread.

>if youre looking, youre not cooking,

I'm assuming you are referring to when people open up the smoker when there's no need. That makes sense, you drastically cool down the smoker when you open it up and it probably takes some time to re reach the set temp.

Who else would be posting in a bbq thread?

So I've noticed.

Anyone watch Alton Brown's show Good Eats? I was wondering what Veeky Forums thinks of him and his show. As someone who just got into this stuff I like that he explains why as well as how.

Enjoy your chew toys