Sup Veeky Forums...

Sup Veeky Forums. The tl;dr of the situation is that I'm poor as shit and trying to make it through a month and a half with the food I have on hand and posting it here to distract myself. Yesterday's thread:

Today I decided to make one of these PREMIUM USDA CERTIFIED ANGUS eye of tound etc.'s that I got 3 for 7 dollars (sure it's cheap but ANGUS means good, right?) and some rice. But that's far too simple of a meal, far far too simple. So I've decided to make sushi rice instead
>But user that's so much fucking sugar
I know, but I have rice vinegar so I figure I should use it. Besides, how hard could making sushi rice really be?

This is a story of hubris.

Well first things first, I'm leaving the meat out to come to room temperature

>7.04

for some shitty meat, you suck at being poor.,

Next is the rice. The sushi rice recipe that I have right now is for 2 cups, so I'm making four so that I can use some to make fried rice tomorrow. My thinking is that it will be easy to take 2 cups of rice out of the cooker by just dividing what comes out in half and adding that half to the recipe

I live in Hawaii, it's the way things are.

And forgot the picture

Putting this in the rice cooker
>user why the fuck do you have an 8 cup rice cooker?
Because I'm literally retarded.

As we get deeper in, I would like to reiterate from yesterday that I am NOT a good cook. I salt the steak before cooking. I'm just going to do it on my skillet.

And since the rice is getting close to being finished I start on the rice vinegar. I mix 4 cups of water, 2/3 cups of vinegar, a dash of oil, 1/4 cup of sugar and heat them on medium until the sugar disappears. Sure seems like a lot of liquid for two cups of rice!

Speaking of which, the rice is done. Better get started on that 100% PURE ANGUS.

I have a great idea! I will cook this steak with butter instead of oil, let's melt this down.

In the meantime this rice vinegar mixture seems pretty well mixed. I'll need to wait for both it and the rice to cool before mixing.

Angus is a cow breed commonly found in beef along with Hereford, Aberdeen Angus, Shorthorn, etc

It doesn't really mean anything.

Forgot that picture, but fuck it. It looks like water in a pot.

Now for the actual steak cooking! 3 minutes on one side...

Flip, and...
Oh dear. There seems to be some smoke, fellas.

I know user, I was funnin' around.

But even so, I soldier on. While that finishes cooking I'll mix this rice vinegar in with this rice, like so.

Huh. That is a lot of liquid. Well, it's supposed to absorb in as it cools, so I'll be folding it in for a bit.

>its burnt

gold

you shouldn't have used butter, or any oil in the pan at all

dust the steak with oil, apply salt + pepper
get that pan hot as fuck
drop it in and cook depending on thickness

The steak is fine enough, I crack some pepper on it and let it rest for a bit. The rice folding seems more important.

TOO LATE WE ONLY MOVE FORWARD

This rice...
This is a picture from ten minutes later. I mixed the rice over and over to this result. Swampy as fuck rice. I eventually just ate the steak because I was getting hungry and I'm only eating one meal a day.

30 minutes later. This is the point I which I realized that I don't know how wet sushi rice is supposed to be anyway. Fuck it, I'm not wasting food. I'll try some to see how it is.

I'll sprinkle some furikake on it, maybe that'll help. It's sushi rice, right? So some seaweed should help it, right?

Uh, no. No it did not help. It actually tastes like sushi rice, but it's much, much too wet. I'm packing it all up and putting in the fridge - if I know a place that'll dry up rice, it's there. I'll re-assess tomorrow morning and if it's still too wet I'll figure something out to do with it.

Today was a day of bad decisions. Maybe I'll do better tomorrow. I'll be trying to make some pork fried rice with the rest of the pork steak from yesterday and the non-ruined rice from today and we'll see how that goes. Enjoy your day, Veeky Forums.

Your steak, although burnt on the outside, looked like it came out pretty good on the inside.

And just add WAY less rice vinegar next time, stir a little in at a time to your liking.

Could have been worse, live and learn. Cook that steak on a lower heat and no butter.

Brush butter on after its cooked if you must, but the beauty of a good steak is it is good all on its own. Salt+pepper should be all you need.

You need to wash the rice you idiot

>I don't know what a strainer looks like!

>sprinkle

>4 cups of water
dogg you already used the 4 cups of water to cook the rice, in the rice cooker

lmao