Sterotypes

Hi, I made potato salad (Kartoffelsalat) (Southern German tyoe, i.e. no mayo) and Krautsalat (approx. comparable to cole slaw).
I'm German. What do you think? Stereotypes about German cuisine? Confirmed non-confirmed?

I couldn't guess what it tastes like without mayo.

not sh*t posting

this stuff is pretty good

In general, German food is pretty heavy

Looks good, what do you use in place of mayo? It's quite yellow.

The coleslaw looks good, probably not sweet which is a good thing.

The potato-salad is looking good, I prefer cubed bacon and gherkins mixed in instead of cucumbers though. Also I like the southern one better than the northern version

Krautsalat looks good, I do a big one every couple days. Good things to put are shallots, pickles and of course carrots, and instead of straight vinegar I use pickle brine when I finish a glass

>sh*t
We're all adults, you don't have to censor yourself.

SHIT PISS FUCK CUNT COCKSUCKER MOTHERFUCKER TITS

Broth. But the color is mainly because of the potatoes themselves.
Southern style (i.e. in Baden-Württemberg and Bavaria, perhaps Hessen) there's broth, vinegar and oil in potato salad, but no mayo.
Other ingridients are argued about, such as cucumber and onions (albeit onions are added 80% I guess)

Hs a very subtle sweet note, but it's from the cole itself; no sugar added.

Not mustard? I always use a bit mustard in the vinaigrette

Ich war Austauschstudent in Hesse. Deutsches Essen hat viel zu viel Weizen. Keine Gemüse außer Sauerkraut.
Es gibt sehr gute Ingredienten in Deutschland aber für die meistens ist das Essen Weizen, Fleisch und Sauerkraut.

but there still is super good food in Germany too. Rippchen mit grüne Soße and ebbelwoi is delicious. I'd eat some now if I had it.

Looks nasty of I'm honest with you.

>No mayo

So you made mashed potatoes?

> mashed potatoes?

The fuck! No! That's like comparing a nice steak with minced meat. It's both meat, but it has nothing else in common.

German food is mostly different shades of yellowish brown color

mfw people dont know what süddeutscher
kartoffelsalat is.
schüttel meinen kopf um ehrlich zu sein.

Wo bist du denn her?
Der sieht ganz normal aus. Schlicht, aber normal.

I've never heard of kartoffelsalat with cucumbers. My Oma is from Nuremberg and she doesn't add them in. Is it common to add the cukes from there or is it a regional thing?

>Keine Gemüse außer Sauerkraut.

Ach wirklich. Wo hast du gegessen? Ich kann mich nicht erinnern in der Mensa jemals Sauerkraut gesehen zu haben..

Überall. In der Mensa hab' ich normalerweise ziemlich gut Salat gegessen. Die andere Gerichte da sind nur billige Kohlenhydrate.

Ist das essen in den universitaeten in deutschland ansonsten in ordnung?

It's ok. It's tasteless, though.
There might be some exceptions, but generally it occured to me that everything is really cooked to death so much that it doesn't taste like anything any more.
If you're Italian, don't try pasta.

That's pretty much American potato salad without mayo and sugar.
I like sauerkraut with mine.

>American potato salad
what is that?
>without mayo and sugar
you mean a regular potato salad?

I grew up with pretty strong German American roots (family from Philly area), so neither of those dishes seem foreign to me. When it comes to salads I lean away from myao rather than towards it.

Biggest revelation about German food was visiting Germany several times. It seems like you guys are lazy cooks because your bread, cheese and cold cuts are so fucking good you just eat that most of the time. But when you decide to cook something more ambitious than schnitzel some of it is amazing. Even the kinda trashy stuff like pic related.

Jesus fuck, you're making me wish I was in Germany.

I thought American is with plenty Mayo. Just like northern German.
But sugar? In a potato salad? Urgh....

labskaus anyone?

Meh,

Both look perfect, can never really tell without tasting though, so many potatoesalads made this way taste bland as fuck.
Also i lold about the german stereotypes, cooking is much more common there than in the us, traditional foods are often unexciting but that doesnt have anything to do with how people eat anymore.

My taters' are cooling in the fridge as I type this....

My recipe:

taters'
onion
bacon
white wine
apple cider vinegar
chicken broth
salt
pepper
mustard
green onion to garnish

Boil taters' and peel while hot, then cool in fridge.
Once cool, slice taters' and prepare the broth.
Fry 4 pieces of bacon in a skillet, and remove bacon.
Saute 1 whole chopped onion in the bacon grease.
Once the onions are at the desired doneness, add about a cup of chicken stock, 1/4 white wine, and a 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar.
Bring to a boil and stir in a tbs yellow mustard powder (to taste), a tbs black pepper, and salt to taste.
Add bacon, and fold in sliced taters'.
Salt to taste, and allow to set overnight in the fridge for best results, but of course you can eat it whenever.
Best served hot.

The key part is making enough of the broth to fully flavor the taters' without turning it into a soup.

This recipe is delicious, and if you don't agree, than fight me...