Fried Rice

Hey chefs,

I'm starting an accounting internship this summer and it's 40-hours a week minimum which leaves me with a reasonable time (~30 minutes) in the morning to cook breakfasts.

I've been mainly cooking fried rice using jasmine rice (cooked earlier and stored in fridge,) tons of onion powder, soy sauce, garlic powder, sesame seeds, pepper, and some Walmart five seasoning salt, along with two eggs.

Other than the rice, everything else is done on the morning-of.

I was wondering if you guys knew of any other things I should add that won't be too time consuming for the morning to make my fried rice even better, or any things I can swap out.

Regards,

N

bump before I go to bed

I'll check it in the morning

Big four?

No, I'm currently a freshman heading into my sophomore year

This is at a small company, but the pay is decent and the work is in my field

Big Four is one of my goal paths, either that or banking.

Why do you ask?

Siracha

That's a really shitty diet.

those $1 bags of frozen mixed veggies

My only small pleasure left in my life is my fried rice

Corn starch if you aren't adding it already.

I like to add bean sprouts in mine.

>tyw my friend is a consultant for Deloitte and is loving it because they pay he ra shit ton of money and she travels a lot

Nice

Deloitte Consulting may be too lofty of a goal for me, but I'd welcome the opportunity, lol

It's a cool job with good exit ops

Does it really work well with fried rice? I know they use it in stir fry

I usually avoid the veggies in takeout, 2bh

>Fried Rice
Nasi Goreng
Nasi Rames
Nasi Kuning
Nasi Lemak
....nigga

no

>not into superior Indonesian cuisine
ok, stay pleb then

It kinda thickens the sauce.

You don't have to use a lot. Maybe like 1tsp of it.

add grated ginger, minced garlic, and chopped scallion

a touch of sugar also helps to balance the flavor

Thanks, will do!

Interesting, I'll have to try it

Use some sesame oil when frying. Cubed spam is also nice in fried rice.

egg
sesame oil
frozen vegetable medley
'cha

Add the soy sauce to the eggs, thank me later

teriyaki sauce

>making fried rice every morning you have to go to work
>not just making a big wok of it at night and putting it in the fridge to microwave throughout the week

And get a rice cooker. One of the ones with the timer. You fill it with rice and water before you go to bed, set it for 6am, and BAM that bitch is done and perfect at 6am.

Also scrap all the powders. Onion powder, garlic powder, pepper, five seasoning salt, jesus christ. Use real onions and garlic at the very least.

>Regards,
>N

>>>/global/rules/13
>Do not use avatars or attach signatures to your posts.

>posting from my phone btw ;^)

I know youtube and facebook comments are more your speed of discourse so you might want to go back there newshit ^.^

2bh, I've been here years longer than you

I find using fish sauce instead of salt drastically improves the flavor. Just use a dash tho, shits stronk. I also personally like a bit of hoisin or oyster sauce in mine. Use real garlic/onions. Scramble your eggs with a small amount of sugar and soy sauce.

For breakfast fried rice, I do prefer withholding the egg in the rice, and frying an egg to place on top of the bowl. Cutting into it you get the runny yolk which greatly enhances the texture of the dish and tastes nice obviously.

Question - what do you guys fry rice in?

I have an electric stove, so no woks. I assume stainless steel sauce pan?

A hot Pan, preferably one with some depth to it so I can stir the rice a lot without it falling out.

Just made this shit today boys.
Curry Fried Rice

Curry ingredients
>Hot Golden Curry Roux
>Diced red & Green Jalapenos
>egg
>Pork Belly
>carrot
>green onion

I literally just fried the rice up like I normally do, except without any ingredients other than 2 eggs, then dumped the curry on top and mixed it in.

It was delicious.

Use Kecap Manis in your fried rice, the depth and sweetness it will give is astonishing.

>Use real garlic/onions.
This, and use extra onion. I find fried rice very bland unless it has enough onion.

add dashi powder and msg

How do you get fried rice go have that crunchy, Chinese take out texture and not oily greasey mess? I'm literally a chef and this question has elluded me for years

Cooked in a wok over a super hot wok burner. A wok burner usually gets hotter than what most other burners are capable of, and it gives that distinctive texture and flavor.

>crunchy, Chinese take out texture
Overcook it I guess, or use undercooked rice.

You must be a pretty terrible chef if you can't figure out how restaurants make fried rice.

>what do you guys fry rice in?

Paella pan on a gas stove.

It's no wok, but works well for me.

You won't get it at home unless you have a very powerful stove top. You need a hot pan, and a flame powerful enough to keep it hot when you add all the ingredients so the pan wont instantly drop in temp.

Try cooking your rice in less water.

Frozen peas

Day old rice. Wok on the hottest flame you can get at home. Hard to achieve consistently with an electric, but I have gotten lucky on occasion and achieved it.

Let it chill on the bottom of your wok for a bit to get some crunchy pieces. Takes practice to get crunchy, but not burnt to shit. Really good once you get it down tho.

Sounds nice but probably crazy salty. I will shamelessly steal your idea and go with a curry powder blend instead.

>Sounds nice but probably crazy salty
The funny thing is that it wasn't salty at all, just right infact.

I think it's because the soy sauce I use isn't kikoman or inauthentic stuff. It's double fermented korean soy sauce, it's got a dark, rich and sweet flavor which I use to season the rice.

I do sprinkle a little bit of salt when I fill the pan with oil though.

The flavor was perfect imo, and far from what you're thinking.

Also use Kecap Manis as an ingredient.

I think using actual curry works better than curry power in fried rice, using curry powder can give the rice a dry texture. Where as using a little bit of actual curry sauce wont.

Speaking of Kikoman.

Is it me or is it bland as shit?

regular kikkoman is cheap and diluted, they do sell a more potent better version called tamari but its hella spensive

it's bland and it doesn't have the right flavor.
just go to your nearest asian super market and look for anything that isn't name brand Soy Sauce, and you'll find something better.

I usually go for stuff that says it's authentic or that it's dark, or in my case double fermented.

Good Soy Sauce is actually the key to good fried rice, over any other ingredient.

use soy sauce based on the origine of your dish

kikkoman is good for japanese dishes

this

kikkoman is what most actual Japanese cooks use

This. It's not that Kikkoman is "inauthentic". It's that Kikkoman is "Japanese Style". It's different from Chinese style.

Korea has no native style. They just copy China.

use Yamasa instead

>Overcook it
>Or undercook it
Thanks m8

What good is corn starch in fried rice?

It thickens the soy sauce when combined. In addition to a bunch of autistic claims. (e.g. "locking flavor")

Just stop tossing it every 3 seconds you idiot

>
>how restaurants make fried rice.

I work at a 4.5 star place and we fry rice on occasion at my job for lagniappes. It still doesn't have the consistency that I'm looking for that I find in little shitty Chinese take out places

>loving it because...she travels a lot

This is how you can tell she's new. Business travel stops being fun fast.

I usually add Hotdogs, Fishcake or Fishballs, sliced up, before adding the rice, so I can brown them first, usually together with fresh Ginger.