Kawell in the Kitchen: Chicken Cordon Bleu Edition

Happy Friday guys. Tonight we're going to be working on some chicken cordon bleu with a parsley sauce, some roasted potatoes and cream of spinach; yes spinach, finally. It was payday so I opted for some moderately priced ham and cheese from Boars Head. It's going to be another tasty night.

Posting live from the kitchen.

Well crack open tonight's beverage of choice and get started prepping the potatoes. Since they'll take the longest to cook, roughly 45 minutes.

>kawell

You're black aren't you

We have some nice fingerling potatoes were just going to halve, drizzle with olive oil, coat with a blend of salt, pepper, cayenne and paprika for color. They'll go in the oven when we get the chicken prepped and starting to rest in the fridge for 30 minutes to shape and firm up.

German-Irish. Is it traditionally a black name or something? I felt it more Celtic or Gaelic.

Start working on the chicken now. I saved myself the trouble and bought thin cut chicken breasts so I don't need to mallet them flat. Going to get them washed then we can get to stacking and wrapping them.

All washed and dried. Need to lay down some plastic wrap, then we can layer the ham and cheese.

I'm excited OP.

This Swiss looks like it's been aged, bet it tastes amazing.

You and me both. Cheese on top and now we're going to start rolling it up. I may cut off the sides of the ham so it's not sticking out. May save me some trouble when I'm breading it.

There she is. Just needs to sit in the fridge for 30 minutes now. Gonna finish the other 2 and we can get started working on the potatoes and other stuff.

Potato seasoning.

Oil then coat generously. Going I. The oven at 425 for 45 minutes. Maybe less, they're kind of skinny today. But enough time so we can get working on our spinach and cordon bleu breading.

We're going to make the cream and spinach at the same time.

Add a tbsp of butter and your spinach to a large pot on medium heat and cook until it just wilts.

In another pan we're going to sweat some garlic and onion and then add flour to make a roux.

bump

What exactly do you use for your seasoning?

Salt, pepper, cayenne and paprika

Couldn't post that last bit live because it was somewhat time sensitive, but here's the aftermath of the cream of spinach being made.

Drained the spinach and set it aside after it was wilted. Chopped it up and waiting for my roux to come together.

Added flour to the garlic and onions and gave it a good stir.

Poured some cold cream and stirred until it thickened up into a sauce. Added salt and pepper at this stage before putting the spinach in.

I hear great things about boars head but is it really that expensive or just a buck or two more then other brands? How much did you pay op?

In goes the spinach, stir until completely coated.

Hmm, Cordon Bleu..carry on, man

Ham was $7, cheese was $6. It slightly more expensive than what you'd normally spend, but the quality is worth it, to me anyway.

Covered and keeping warm until everything else is done.

That's not a bad price at all. The same people who complain must be the ones who say five guys is too expensive lol

Opening another beer, and we're going to get started on the breading.

Nothing revolutionary. Seasoned flour, eggs, bread crumbs.

Well coat the chicken then fry each side in a pan until golden brown and stick it in the oven to finish.

Potatoes are done. Cover and set aside until we're finished with the chicken.

>made bacon cheeseburger mac for dinner
>this man is making Chicken Cordon Bleu
a-atleast I had chocalate peanut butter icecream with hot marshmellow fluff, right?

One is larger than the other because it's double ham double cheese. All coated, time to seal and bake.

Right I had to google chicken cordon BLEU op send me a piece

Remember to seal all sides.

We call these hamsters in the Navy, its one of the top tier underway foods.

We need more cookalongs OP, you're doing good things. My man from houston with the cats is a boss too

this is disgusting. Such a heavy meal, gonna make you feel bloated heavy and fat. Why would anyone eat like this?

Because food and cooking?

Almost done with the third one.

>found the vegetarian

Go try to climb Mount Everest or something, some people like eating stuff that isn't leaves

>He doesn't enjoy the process of cooking and seeing the results, let alone tasting it

just..die?

Ready for the oven. Let's make our parsley sauce while its finishing.

425 for 20 minutes

Looking good, man

Finely dice up a shallot

is there any reason why you had to make them into fat dicks shape?

Add it to a pan with garlic and sweat for 5 minutes

This is where the difficulty comes in for me with cooking and I can't cook shit

This looks not too hard to do even for a "difficult" dish when there's pictures of everything. I feel like I could do this, or like when I make a Blue Apron dish that's the same all pictures, etc.

But I could never even comprehend how I would know to do all this just from memory without a recipe in front of me.

Finely chop up some Italian parsley

holy fucking shit, do you see...eee....eee.e. the imperfection? Could your ignorance be so severe that you do not see botchulinum toxin?

Fuck you op, I'm hungry now

Add flour. We're making another roux for the sauce but with homemade chicken stock this time.

This is my last jar of homemade stock I defrosted this morning while I was at work. We're just going to use a small amount, but it's better than using store bought.

Stir until desired thickness, add your parsley, and season to taste with salt and pepper.

Only thing to do now is get the chicken cordon bleu out of the oven and rest it for 5 minutes, then we can plate and have a nice dinner. Let me clean up a little bit and we can get started.

Well cut one of the small ones first.

Yummy!

great shot OP. Looks delicious

And there you go.

Well that certainly was good tasting. Very happy with that parsley sauce. First time making it and came out really well. That'll be it for tonight; gonna have a few more beers, do the dishes and relax on the balcony with a smoke.

Friend invited me to a BBQ tomorrow, but I promised you guys some oxtail stew. So come and join me tomorrow night, it'll be a first for me.

get hammered

nice work senpai

>Never had Chicken Cordon Bleu without cream sauce before
>Went to an Italian place and ordered it tonight
>Got it like this
>Ended up enjoying it more than cream sauced
>See this

Shit was fucking great. Food looked good

>choose to cook for a Mongolian box cutter board instead of hanging out with friends

W...we... We love you too user

Shit looks so cash, thanks for the trip OP

Kawell hits it outta the park yet again