How to Cook a Steak

There seems to be a lot of people attempting to cook steaks lately on Veeky Forums and fucking it up. It's so easy. If you follow these steps, there is no possible way you can ever screw it up. It's foolproof.

Here's a 1 lb bone in ribeye. Some people let it come to room temp. I just pulled mine out the fridge.

Other urls found in this thread:

seriouseats.com/2013/06/the-food-lab-7-old-wives-tales-about-cooking-steak.html
seriouseats.com/2010/04/cook-your-meat-in-a-beer-cooler-the-worlds-best-sous-vide-hack.html
instructables.com/id/DIY-Sous-Vide-Immersion-Circulator/)
pietyonkierkegaard.com/category/kierkegaard-and-the-jews/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

This is the only seasoning you need for your steak. Sprinkle liberally and rub on steak.

This is the surface you will be cooking your steak on. Must be cast iron.

Turn to medium and let it get to heat. Go smoke a cig or something.

This is the oil used in the pan for cooking your steak. It has the highest smoke point and neutral taste. Canola, every time.

oh no not again

Coat the bottom of the cast iron with oil. Lay in the steak. There should be only kosher salt, no pepper or anything. Pepper will burn.

2 minutes.

medium.. no please dont put that shit on high to get a better sear on the meat you pleb

Next Fry an egg really quick for the steak

Flip over the steak after 2 min. Take a paddy of unsalted butter, and melt it over the seared side.

Pour yourself a glass of juice

what about the milk?
when do i put the milk in if you already got me putting butter in?

Flip over the steak into a plate lined with aluminum foil. Rub other side of the steak with unsalted butter. Tightly seal the steak with foil, sealing inside juices and melted butter.

Wait ~10 min as steak absorbs the juices and butter and comes to temperature.

And it always comes out perfect.

Not rocket science. Hope you all enjoyed and learned something!

Here's a timesaving hint for you: Instead of cutting it into little pieces and using a fork to throw it in the trash, you can pick it up with your hand and throw the whole thing in the trash at once.

>pepper will burn
>implying that's a bad thing

Don't you pepper your steak at the table?

>a paddy of unsalted butter
Is that like Irish butter or something?

Fuck no. I salt, pepper, and rub that shit while the skillet's heating. When the pepper "burns" it doesn't fuck it up or anything. In fact it helps strengthen the texture of the crust.

>he doesn't dry brine his steak

I've had better looking steaks from Dennys.

Aaaaaaand you fucked up. Not going to bother explaining why

And you definitely didn't have enough heat to burn pepper so I don't know why you left it....just fuck you, your steak is an atrocity

Why would you ever get a steak from Denny's???

I checked the surface temp and internal temp. Perfect sear and medium rare. Nice try, thanks for playing.

>Perfect sear

>Perfect sear

Perfect sear

>Perfect sear

I'm not so sure

>Perfect sear

can i cook a steak in the oven

my skillet broke

You missed a lot of seasonings and your way to drunk that's not a barbecue throw your 1 dollar steak out try again.

All you need is salt what a fucking retarded hahaha don't ever invite me over for dinner oh wait I bet you have big dogs everyone feeds them your food.

Nah he's just some dumb fucking bog hopping mick.

>missed a Lot of seasonings

Did he forget ketchup? All you need for steak is kosher salt and cracked pepper.

Oh wait I forgot I'm on Veeky Forums. Carry on.

I'm having trouble understanding.. did OP over cook or under cook his steak? Looks like he did a pretty job to me, I'd eat the fuck out of a steak right now.

Typical Veeky Forums shit.. Steak is fine, they are just kidding around with him.

Amazing

This, looks like something I see in a burn ward, you need to sear that motherfucker, you literally just let it soak in a hot oil bath.

Are you blind

The butter softens up the carbon, but I checked the the temperature: that's a perfect sear.

A steak should be cooked purely in butter, no oil.
Fight me

Butter burns at a very low heat. Pleb mistake v

the sear is a little lacking but its fine

Is it possible to get a good sear without cast iron? I use an aluminium pan and the surface always turns out better than OP'S but not quite the dark crust I want, probably half way in between.

We need a sticky

If that's a good looking steak to you then you probably never had a good steak before in your life. The meat looks like it was boiled. A lot of the things he did were entry level mistakes

yes but you won't get le perfect seer xd

I don't quite get it. Is this bait or real?

Cast iron is overrated and unnecessary if your stove gets sufficiently hot. The secret to getting a good steak sear is to use something to weigh down the steak. I use a brick wrapped in foil. More surface area + better heat transfer = perfect crust

top kek

You done fucked up already OP. I respect your trying to keep it pure and all but you need some peoper on there. Not to mention salt already completely masks the beefy flavor.

A grill would be better.
Cigarettes are for losers.

> Pepper can burn; leave out pepper.
> Steak can burn; get McDonalds and cry.

>Perfect sear

> perfect sear

Is this a better rib than OPs?

>1 lb bone in ribeye
>1 lb
Are you a child?
>Some people let it come to room temp
Some people regurgitate myths.
>>>>electric
>
>Tightly seal the steak with foil
Your whole thread is garbage but this is the worst.

Looks like an infected wound or a scab. Hardly any crust formation. Keep trying.

>Some people regurgitate myths.
Meat coming to room temp is a myth to you? Did your graduate high school?

>Looks like an infected wound or a scab
the yellow bits are fat
>Hardly any crust formation
did you look at ?

>Meat coming to room temp is a myth to you? Did your graduate high school?
Don't play dumb. You know what OP meant.
seriouseats.com/2013/06/the-food-lab-7-old-wives-tales-about-cooking-steak.html

It still looks like a scab. And the crust isn't even that much better than OPs.

>seriouseats.com/2013/06/the-food-lab-7-old-wives-tales-about-cooking-steak.html
>After 1 hour and 50 minutes, the steak was up to 49.6°F in the center.
Clearly not a myth. Coming to room temp doesn't mean it has to be room temp. And this is the same website that's essentially a sous-vide advertisement in disguise.

The point of allowing meat to warm up before cooking is that it helps remove the gradient, something that wasn't even mentioned in the post. J. Kenji Lopez-Alt is a pseudo intellectual college dropout posting bullshit in order to get that partnership money he has with these modern cuisine device companies (sous vide namely). It's so fucking sad how people eat his bullshit up, how his n=1 tests must mean he's right all the time.

How the fuck can salt be kosher. It's just salt.

Kosher salt isn't kosher it's used in the kosher preparation of animals to remove excess blood

You fucking retard.

So it is just regular salt?

Shut up

You're a fucking idiot, son.

It's coarse ground because regular table salt would sink into the meat instead of soaking juices like big flakies

kys

Kosher salt is just a meme created by the Jews so they can feel relevant in culinary practices. It's just salt without iodine. The salt itself isn't kosher.

Well desu nothing is really kosher, kosher is bullshit from the Torah, a bullshit book made by a bullshit loving people

*sheaths katana*

EDGE!

>uses kosher salt
>mixes the milk of the mother with the flesh of the child

oy vey

Isn't the reason chefs recommend "kosher" salt that they mistakenly think it is synonymous with "coarse"?

Yeah but most people think that

Nothing is wrong with religion. It teaches morals and is a good way for children to understand how the world works.

But the Torah specifically is bullshit. There's a fucking reason Jews have been and are the most oppressed people for idk, the entire time they've existed?

If it's better than OP's that's fine. It was OP who was acting like the steak master.

>The point of allowing meat to warm up before cooking is that it helps remove the gradient
I think that's probably excluded for a reason. Depending on the thickness and heat source, results could vary. He says resting doesn't affect evenness.

I've never seen salt labelled Kosher in Europe.

>There's a fucking reason Jews have been and are the most oppressed people for idk, the entire time they've existed?
And it's not what you think. Look up ressentiment and the history of morality.

Let's use the proper "coarse" and not talk about religion.

Not knowing the delusional memes of a bronze age religion makes you an idiot. Sure bro, you should check out Veeky Forums, you'll fit right in

So just ordinary coarse sea salt then. Thank you

>I've never seen salt labelled Kosher in Europe.
Because they understand removing Jewish vernacular from places it belong as a good way to remind people that Jews are subhuman and should not be considered the same as us.

>He says resting doesn't affect evenness.
No really?
>I think that's probably excluded for a reason.
Because why let a steak rest when you can have a Brand New Anova Culinary Sous-Vide Circulator, for only $200! And the vacuum sealer, just $50! Don't even think about using a pot of water on the stove, YOU NEED THIS FUCKING CIRCULATOR. IT'S A CIRUCLATOR! You can't do that on the stove, NOPE! ONLY THIS DEVICE CAN HEAT UP WATER. ONLY $200!!!!!

I think I summed up seriouseats and Foodlabs nicely here

>Sous-vide-style precision cooking is a technique, another tool in your arsenal, and just like all techniques, there's a tradeoff. Here are a few of the most immediate:

>Nothing is wrong with religion.
>Nothing
That's a bold statement user

>places it belong
places it DOESN'T belong

>I took an intro level course in religious studies/philosophy and read wikipedia articles about Kierkegaard's work
Sigh.
>Between the years 250 CE and 1948 CE - a period of 1,700 years - Jews have experienced more than eighty expulsions from various countries in Europe - an average of nearly one expulsion every twenty-one years. Jews were expelled from England, France, Austria, Germany, Lithuania, Spain, Portugal, Bohemia, Moravia and seventy-one other countries.
But please, tell me how one psychological phenomenon convinced 80 different nations of millions of different people to choose the Jews as their target. Let's face it; Jew's aren't unjustifiably oppressed, they're hated because they're fucking weird and on the same level as cultists, and should be treated as such. If Jehova's Witnesses existed on the same scale Jews do, the common people would just have as much tolerance of their beliefs as the Jews do now. But since Jehova's Witnesses are a small minority, it's perfectly fine to trash on their beliefs even though they're just as bad as an everyday Jew

>ressentiment
>kierkegaard
It's clear throughout this thread which posts are yours so it's time to stop embarrassing yourself.

You do understand that Kenji himself has posted on how to make a sous-vide out of a cooler for like 20 bucks.

seriouseats.com/2010/04/cook-your-meat-in-a-beer-cooler-the-worlds-best-sous-vide-hack.html

Except sous-vide cooking can be replicated on the stove, in a pot of water, on the lowest setting. Every 30 minutes the temp increases by 1-2, so I drop in an ice cube. How much did it cost me? $0. Did I get the same results? Fucking obviously. I'm not saying sous-vide cooking is bad, but paying $200 for it is mind-blowingly retarded and Kenji should feel bad for advertising for a $200 piece of shit device that could be made with $10 of equipment and mateirals (instructables.com/id/DIY-Sous-Vide-Immersion-Circulator/)

>Ressentiment is a French term and Kierkegaard is Danish so he's clearly wrong

Wow it must've been hard to figure out my posts. You must be some kinda PI.

pietyonkierkegaard.com/category/kierkegaard-and-the-jews/

Here's your (You) now stfu and go away

>How to make a proper steak
>Set that bitch on medium
>Make a very, very thin layer of olive oil in the pan
>Wait till that shit's poppin
>Slap the steak in the pan and leave it for 5-10 minutes
>Flip and wait 3 minutes
Throw some pepper on it if you'd like and eat the fucker as is.

Fucking rocket science

>make a shitty steak
>it's not rocket science bro

Reverse sear gives the best results imo.

>Before I even began, I threw in the towel as far as parts 3 and 4 go. There's no way my beer cooler is staying warm for the requisite 24 hours—previous testing had shown me that it loses about 1 degree per hour when it's in the 140°F to 150°F range.

>Vegetables are an even bigger problem. Pectin, the tough glue that keeps vegetable cells connected doesn't begin to break down until 183°F. Even after 15 minutes, a beer cooler this hot cools by several degrees—it just doesn't work. So for the time being, it looks like if prolonged (2 hours +) or relatively hot (160°F +) cooking are part of your requirements for a sous-vide cooker, you're going to have to spring for the real deal.

>On the other hand, I'd easily argue that parts 1 and 2 are in fact the primary use of a sous-vide cooker—particularly for home cooks. A quick search of the types of recipes home cooks have been playing around with confirms this.

>Now, is all this to say that a real high-quality low-temperature water oven like the Sous-Vide Supreme isn't worth owning? Certainly not. I wouldn't even consider giving mine up. Absolute precision and the ability to hold higher temperatures more steadily and for much longer periods of time comes in handy in many situations (particularly when you have friends and spouses who habitually late for dinner—ahem).

Do you NOT see how this is an advertisement?
>Let's show people that sous-vide cooking works for steak, so that they'll think everything they cook will be this amazing! This will convince them to buy the device

Sous-vide cooking is good for two, maybe three things at most.

Do you think its safe to 50'C/122'F some frozen salmon in the vacuum packs they are sold in?

Use clarified butter, much higher smoke point

Why? Just use canola, and use butter when it's off heat.

Are you OP? The reason is right here what a waste of a good steak

>using oil in the pan at all when making steak
jesus christ

lightly dust it with oil if you really want to use some but it's not needed

meant

>not beef tallow

Missing out man.

Not OP, I just never understood the point of clarified butter, it tastes different. I've always used OP's method of cooking steaks myself. Sure, his steak could be a little "harder" on the sear, but he did a fine job on it. I've seen much, much worse.

>dust it with oil
You mean coat with oil, dust is for things like flour or ground spices.

k

but lightly coat it, you don't need very much

Jesus Christ you anti jew polfags are annoying