Veeky Forums help

Veeky Forums help

I fucking love stew, it's god's gift to man.

What sorta shit do you put in your stews?

Chorizo is fucking delicious, post your secret stew tech now.

Also I usually substitute potato with the sweeter variety.

Smaller chunks are better.

Stews are good winter food. Glad not to be making any for the next few months, but good food.

It's just getting around to winter soon in Australia, partially why I started this thread.

>winter
>Australia

I think you'd be surprised how cold it can get in non-tropical regions of Australia.

Either way the cold slays me. Does make for comfy though.

Has anyone tried this...... can't tell if it would be any good

this would be great with about a 1/2tsp of cumin. Not enough to be able to actually detect it but enough to affect the flavour.

My stew secret ingredients are pearl barley and yellow swede. I find potato just can't hold up to the hours of boiling and always disintegrates, swede does just right, cooking down to the texture of soft carrots and the barley really swells up and helps with thickening.

>yellow swede
Would a Turnip do?

Because I use those, and they are quite nice. How does the barley end up? I imagine it would just disintegrate? Could be useful, as I often can't be fucked to remove all the ingredients and reduce the liquid.

I also use pearl barley, and it actually takes quite a long time to get to the point where it would disintegrate. I've had the opposite happen (barley being the only thing not cooked sufficiently) more often than the other.

Hm.

Could you cook them a little prior to adding to the brew? say I boiled them for a while.

I just let them soak in cold water for a few hours before I cook. But it depends on what I'm making, I also sometimes add some to my lamb and veg soup and won't bother pre-soaking.

I think Turnip would work. maybe even celeriac. I think it just has to be a really hard, slow cooking vegetable.
It sort of puffs up and semi disintegrates. I think it swells up to the size where the cell walls start to burst.

celeriac - some sort of celery root wizardry I was not aware of, sounds tasty.

If it wasn't blatantly obvious I'm a massive newfriend.

to be fair, most people I know don't cook with celeriac. its fairly uncommon. Fairly seasoned homecook here so ask away If you have any other questions.

I like doing a beer braised chicken thigh and sausage thing. Nice sausages though, not some boring salted stale meat in casings.

Just brown chicken thigh and sausages in pan, add quartered onions, carrots and parsnips and brown them a bit, then add some chili and garlic cloves..

Add a couple of tablespoons of honey. Let the honey melt and coat everything, add some balsamic vinegar and let it reduce a bit, add dijon mustard.
Cover with some dark beer and chicken stock, leave it.

Bretty good - It's kind of a sweet dish, very tasty.

Boar or moose
Chanterelle
Juniper berries
Parsnip
Carrots
Lingon jam

Any offal you can find. Stewing makes them softer and mellows the taste.

I like to add some taro into beef stew, personally. Adds another good starch, a little more interesting than just potatoes and/or turnips.

>Smaller chunks are better.
I respectfully disagree.

Oddly enough, my stew has and usually looks exactly like OP's image, down to the yellow ceramic pot.

>Beef
>potato
>carrot
>beef broth
>celery
>onion
>garlic
>rosemary
>thyme
>wine/beer/whatever alcohol to deglaze near beginning of prep

OP, I'm with this user, almost to a T.

I like shank, or chuck for my beef.

I like to brown it without flour, and thicken later.

I've been boosting some umami for a couple years with browned tomato paste and anchovies.

Like other anons have added, some barley is nice, as is farro. Something bigger, nuttier, and doesnt' break down easily.

>I've been boosting some umami
Fug off :DDDDDDDDDD

beef browned with white onion
zucchini , small red potatoes whole, carrots, more onion
large splash of pickle juice

I like making a stew similar to chankonabe, the sumo wrestler high-protein stew.

I'll usually throw in:
1/2 - 1 head of cabbage (depends how big your cabbage is)
1-2 onions
a few cloves of garlic
yam or potato - sweet potato is pretty tasty

1kg of chopped up raw chicken thighs
a block of tofu, cubed
a few big handfuls of shrimp

Simmered in chicken stock flavored with soy sauce, dashi, and mirin.
And I like adding a spoonful of korean hot pepper paste for a nice complex sweetness and heat.

why grill the oranges before adding them to the stew? what does that add?

Caramelizes some of the sugar in the oranges. Also add a small char note on them (more savory) You can skip it, but I really like what it does for them.

It's my favourite. And, for what it's worth, got my grand-mother to admit lamb can be good (she has held a distaste for lamb for many years. Until I made that for Easter).

I'm never eating stew if it means I'll have such a potty mouth.