Post your country's national dish and educate us on it

Post your country's national dish and educate us on it.

Mexico has two, mole and chiles en nogada.

Chiles en nogada is a national dish because it uses Mexican ingredients and it presents all of the flag's colors. Not everybody in the country eats the dish though. For example, I live in Jalisco and my mom and grandmother, who are repertoires of traditional Mexican dishes, have never prepared chiles en nogada.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiles_en_nogada

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mole_sauce
youtube.com/watch?v=OyTv4sGv9No
youtube.com/watch?v=G9Z84Z_rAYA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's important to note that picking a Mexican national dish is a very difficult task because cuisine in this country is very diverse because the country itself is very diverse. IMO mole is a good choice because the ingredients used come from Europe and the Americas. This is a good metaphor for what Mexico is as a country and a culture: a mixture of two different worlds.

Unlike chiles en nogada, this is eaten throughout the country. I've never met anybody who's hasn't had it.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mole_sauce

'merica checkin' in y'all

wew
Nothing from your region? I know Louisiana and New England have very interesting culinary heritages. What about your state and region?

The thing about chile en nogada is that, like any vegetable dish, it's really amazing when prepared from local ingredients at their seasonal peak, but otherwise very mediocre. It's not like American meat-blitzkreig where it doesn't matter when and where. This is why Americans can't grasp seasonality or terroir. Mass brutalization by endless piles of third rate meat replaced cuisine.

But that won't stop young, white, "urban pioneers" from thinking they "discovered" it, no doubt shitty chiles en nogada will soon take Twitter by storm as soon as Linda Dunham of Girl Interrupted hash tags it on her tumbeler homepage. And clueless 20somethings will pretend to like their stuffed bell peppers covered in Campbell's soup, if you disagree you're racist

White people are the worst

How popular is Mexican food in the U.S.? Besides tacos and burritos.

Also, post regional dishes.

Also from Mexico.

Regional dish.

youtube.com/watch?v=OyTv4sGv9No

No one has any interests in posting their country's dishes? Come on guys.

Not a country but the official Oklahoma state meal is fried okra, squash, cornbread, barbecued pork, biscuits, sausage and gravy, grits, corn, strawberries, chicken fried steak, pecan pie, and black-eyed peas.

I'm pretty sure no one has actually eaten all of those things at once

>No one has any interests in posting their country's dishes? Come on guys.

fine

2 Detroit Coney Island hot dogs with everything

Spain
Cocido

North Carolina has shrimp & grits and vinegar based BBQ.

VERY popular, Mexicans even move to random rural areas to set up restaurants. I picked a random area in Eastern Kentucky on Google Maps and searched "Mexican food", and there were seemingly authentic options relatively close by.

My city (New York) has a lot of good Mexican food now, but the market isn't oversaturated like LA yet.

Which are the best moles that I could find at a Mexico City/Puebla style restaurant?

Fucking menudo should be here.

Often called "wetback soup" in America, this dish can be the most flavorful thing you've ever eaten. I learned to make it from scratch by my grandmother, and she learned to make it from her Mexican mother-in-law, who in turn learned to make it by getting drunk and mixing random shit together in hopes of finding a cure for the hangover.

It is the greatest dish in the world, and we as Americans have bastardized it to the point of unrecognizability.

Protip: if you prefer posole, you're verifiably retarded and have no business cooking.

This is why Americans shouldn't be posting. You might as well post a bologna sandwich with miracle whip.

Manchamanteles. Peanut mole and the rare goat mole from puebla

Scotland

Haggis, neeps and tatties

Do you buy that fake supermarket shit or do you catch your own?

I go hunting for them in the Highlands, lost 3 good friends to the ferocious beast

Germany here.

I dunno about national dish, but personally, to me, German food is pretty much summed up in how fucking weird and delicious mettwurst is. Pretty much raw, smoke-cured pork spread on toast.

Sounds like it should be fucking awful, but it's really good.

>pork
>bad
fuck off

When did he imply pork was bad?

Doesn't that shit take hours to make, though? And I doubt anyone besides racist rednecks call it "wetback soup".

>German food is pretty much summed up in...wurst

american but so cal surf bro checking in. brb chillin on the beach after a sweet surf sesh and listening to fight fair and eating the state dish

>Sounds like it should be fucking awful, but it's really good.
Once again
>pork
>bad

About 6-8 hours, because you want the tripe to be soft.

And every time I go to Tijuana and order it, I refer to it as wetback soup. The locals know exactly what I mean, and serve me as such. They even give me a complimentary side of "pinche maricon", which I think is a type of sauted shrimp.

Is that a real california burrito nigro?

Why would you go to Tijuana to eat Menudo?There's literally hundred things more interesting than menudo in Tijuana

That's a shitty looking California burrito. I'm going to assume you don't live in Glorious San Diego, where we do food right.

Chicago's food is heavily Polish and German, mixed with a bit of Greek and flyover enginuity

Here is the Chicago hot dog. I eat them as pictured "run it through the garden" style. There is no ketchup, but I do not sperg out about that like some. The nuclear green shit is pickle relish, celery salt may be hard to see. I eat them but I prefer New York's version

>going into Mexico and openly using the term "wetback"

But damn, 6-8 hours? Do Mexican restaurants have workers stay overnight to have it ready for breakfast?

Same thing goes for pho and many other stews, user.

i name dropped fight fair in my post.you tell me.

a lot of taco shops will not have cheese or guac (wtf???) but this is what a cali burrito is supposed to be.

>it's really good
>really good
>Good
>Good != bad

I shouldn't have had to spell that out. You've embarrassed yourself once again.

For the record, merely implying that raw food SOUNDS like it would be bad, does not in fact mean you're saying it's bad, especially when you say the polar opposite of "bad" immediately afterwards.

TORTAS

You don't get it, don't you? How would pork sound awful in anyway? Pork is delicious. I'm only going by that statement only.

Here is some 'za. It's absolutely delicious but I am just as happy with nice thin neapolitan pizza. NYC makes a good pizza too, but if the dough gets thicker than that I would rather have Chicago style tomato and cheese lasagna

Nice, what do you think of this 'go 'za

Are flour tortilla tacos common in Northern Mexico aside from Baja California?

If the thought of raw pork gets your dick hard, fine. But the majority of people in every country are hesitant about it, since it wasn't too long ago that it posed a major health risk. The very idea of it DOES sound like it would be an awful choice.

no one said it was though.

This is an Italian beef, which is another popular item in hot dog joints. It is a french roll with shaved beef that is cooked in a broth and topped with a hot pepper relish like giardiniera. It is occasionally dipped in the broth to make it a bit soggy. That is the way to go. They are good, but I'd rather have a cheesesteak

He meant that it sounds awful becauae it's served as an uncooked paste, you retard

Once again, why doe that sound bad?ffs get your shit together.

I've lived here my whole life and never felt the need to name drop shitty bands. Usually it's people from Oregon and other nearby states who feel the need to call it "cali" and obsess over it.

it seems to be lacking ingredients 2/10 would not return to establishment

Gyros were introduced to America in the 60s via Greek immigrants who set up diners and hot dog stands all over the city, but especially in Greek Town. Similar to a doner kebab, the toppings are tzatziki, onions, and tomato. it has since spread to the rest of the USA and I would not call it regional anymore

>every time I go to Tijuana and order it, I refer to it as wetback soup

Why not call it menduo?

Sonora is the king of flour tortillas. I love me some corn tortillas but them flour tortillas from Sonora are something else. Chihuahua as well and to an extent, monterrey.

To the majority of the world, raw pork is a no-no. You're trying much too hard, and completely missing the point in an attempt to look cool. You're embarrassing yourself, but much worse, you're embarrassing me with your inability to comprehend simple words.

You're embarrassing me in front of my best friends, and it needs to stop.

cool

In all seriousness, my post was meant to be a joke. That's why I threw the who "maricon" thing in there.

"Camaron" is the word for shrimp. "Maricon" is how you say "faggot" in taco-bender speak.

Moving on to the rest of the midwest, this is a Cincinnati chili 3-way. Overcooked spaghetti, a sweet Greek chili with allspice and chocolate and cinnamon, covered in a mound of shredded "cheddar" "cheese." It is good but make it at home. I like mine with diced onions (a 43way) and hotsauce. Other common toppings are beans and oyster crackers but they do not please me

>caring what normies think
>implying raw pork sound bad
kek

>going to tijuana to eat menudo
Now this is what I call bait

Staying in Cincinnati, this is goetta. Brought to us by German immigrants, it is a peasant food consisting of pork sausage mixed with oatmeal. It comes in blocks and is sliced and fried. You can find this in diners and supermarkets. It is actually pretty good especially for the price. I used to make my own but it has been some time now since I have done that

This is Frito Pie, sometimes called walking tacos or Texas Straw Hat. The base is Frito lay chips, chili and cheese, but it may include common ingredients found in american tacos: salsa, refried beans, sour cream, onion, rice, guacamole, or jalapeños. It is popular in the midwest, south, and southwest, especially at fairs. The origin is disputed but we are fairly confident that it is an evolved version of a mexican dish that made its way into Texas and then most of the rural parts of America where state fairs and mexican labor are abundant. I used to claim they were from Iowa, but I don't anymore

These are cream puffs, and are very similar to choux à la crème from France, however I have not seen them outside of Wisconsin and yes I travel a lot so I'm pretty sure the rest of the US isn't super into them

Are burritos popular in Northern Mexico?

This is St Louis style pizza. The crust is thin and dry like a cracker, there is very little tomato sauce but it is sweet enough to let you know it is there, and the cheese is called Provelle, which is a processed American cheese that has the consistency of room temperature butter. It is completely terrible and if you want a good approximation I suggest putting some ketchup on a saltine, topping it with a slice of a kraft single, and microwaving it for 15 seconds. We should be feeding prisoners with this stuff

>I've never seen them outside Wisconsin
I've never seen them in the midwest, maybe you just don't go to bakeries when you travel...

This is another st louis specialty but actually good. It is deep fried beef ravioli with marinara sauce. It has since spread to other areas and for example in New england, they prefer to make it with provolone instead of meat

yeah I don't eat a lot of pastries that's probably it. I just figured it was a wisconsin thing because "muh dairy products"

This is a western massachusetts chow mein sandwich. I would not recommend it

This is a pork roll sandwich popular in New Jersey. typically the pork roll is eaten in a breakfast sandwich with egg, and sometimes a slice will top a burger to make a Jersey Burger. It is OK, frequently found in diners and roadside joints

This is Scrapple, popular in the mid atlantic coast. It is ground up pig offal and shitty cuts with a distinct livery taste. It is sliced and fried and I don't care for it

It's actually not dry like a cracker, it's crispy but not dry
There's more than enough sauce for the pizza, you aren't supposed to have Chicago deep dish levels of sauce on a pizza
Provel is loved in this area, if you don't like it, you can get them with mozzarella, but provel melts better and gets toasted in a really special way. For instance, when it's right out of the oven, the very top layer is golden brown and crunchy but that layer is like a thin golden skin because it's still bubbly and gooey underneath

Provel is really really good on lasagna as the topping layer of cheese

Anyone here ever have a pit beef sandwich with horseradish, popular in Baltimore?

I don't know about regional as you can only get this at one restaurant in New Orleans but it is fucking tasty with that pepper jelly

your pizza is an abomination to mankind and I eat NYC pizza more than chicago lasagna i bet you kiss girls too faggot go drop a bomb in the cardinals dugout for me

Speaking of abominations created by people with no tastebuds, hotdish casserole is popular in the upper midwest, especially at church potlucks and funerals. Nothin says Brainerd, Minnesota like a good hotdish

>pinche maricon

I lol'd

> "Maricon" is how you say "faggot" in taco-bender speak

>taco-bender

This doesn't even mean anything. Just who are you referring to? Mexicans? Colombians? South Americans in general?

PS i think the place is called "The Commander" but I forget

Buffalo is another regional powerhouse. This is beef on weck and it is basically a roast beef sandwich on a salty roll i think flavored with caraway seeds but I forget it has been a while

Tacos de Kanye asada

Thanks buffalo

he's just trying to be edgy on the cooking board

cacio e pepe

Those aren't buffalo wings

why do people do this

Soul food is the reason why we haven't decided to kill all the black people yet (only some)

In Sonora and Chihuahua, yes. Tijuana as well.
Burrito are a variation of a taco.
youtube.com/watch?v=G9Z84Z_rAYA

Thanks for clearing that up for everyone

These look like your typical pork ribs in tennessee. Sauce tends to be tangy

I suspect this was invented in texas but it is popular in rural state fairs all over now

Come on man, by bringing up menudo, showing I have knowledge of the language, while also stating I go to Tijuana very obviously shows I'm Mexican (half) and am talking shit towards the other Mexicans here. Its satire, which I tried to make obvious with the whole "pinche maricon" thing.

this too

>going to Tijuana to eat menudo
b8

you are talking to the wrong person, shitposter. I don't give a shit about your travels or your command of the spanish language you deliberately fucked up as a joke, it wasn't funny

Lobster rolls are popular in Maine and very good

I want a mexican gf with a grandmother who doesn't speak english

This is a map of regional foods in America. Nebraska and Kansas are mislabeled so you don't need to say anything about that.

I also want a Mexican gf

I like you

Do Mexicans have a special soup partly made from qt Mexican girl feet sweat?

My girlfriend is Mexican and her family makes a special soup, her and all the attractive women in her family contribute their feet sweat into a pot, which is used as part of the broth. It's a very good soup

She's got to go back.

Back at you with a Kentucky Hot Brown, a variation of Welsh rarebit

Toast covered in turkey and bacon, then smothered in Mornay sauce and sent under the broiler to get a little brown. I like mine with tomato and a little parmesan

I love oysters in general but this New Orleans creation is a great way to prepare them. Herbs and butter mixed with breadcrumbs and broiled. You can get it basically anywhere now

Do they call it a hot brown because it looks like a steaming pile of shit?

Etouffee is the best shit ever. Creoles make them with a blond roux, Cajuns with a darker roux like in gumbo. It means "smothered" in french but usually is served with the rice on top for presentation purposes

it is usually browned on top because of the broiler, this isn't the best pic

Crabcakes are very popular in the eastern united states coastal regions, but everyone likes them

City Chicken is a pork dish popular around the great lakes. There are regional variations tho. Some bread and deep fry it, some pan fry it (cleveland), some bake it (pittsburg), Sometimes served with gravy or some other dipping sauce