Thick Bacon

I'm so sick of this shit. Why has the food industry pushed so hard for ultra thick, "applewood smoked" bacon?

I can't find regular bacon anymore. My biggest beef with this bacon is that it is tough. It's chewy like fucking jerky. Most of the time, you can't even cook it crispy so it's more like a god damned ham steak. If I wanted one I'd buy one.

I don't want that when I'm trying to enjoy a BLT or a all-butter croissant with soft scrambled eggs.

Also, this "applewood smoked" shit is another pervasive, meaningless buzzword like "Black Angus".

Why are they ruining bacon?

reminder, this is proper bacon and what you're looking for is probably already a memebacon.

That looks nice. Is it cured?

I'm getting sick of the hippies too with their "uncured" bacon.

It's a "frame popular, demand driven products that I don't like as a marketing driven imposition on the market" meme thread

The fuck are you talking about? You can't find regular bacon? You have to pay so much extra for thick cut where I'm from, all the bacon I can afford is paper thin. It's terrible.

Fuck off shill

>not getting your bacon from a butcher

This. If you want thin bacon, go into any discount grocery store.

Yeah, I can't find it. All the bacon is "SUPER THICK™".
>discount grocery
>the same fucking national brands as the "expensive" grocery.
This is America. Everything is the same everywhere.
butchers aren't a thing in America. If someone is pretending to be a butcher it's in some rich part of town and they are supplied with the same products from the same distributors as the large grocery chains.

Everything you seem to dislike is everything I love about bacon. I don't want thin little strips of crispy dried out shit if I eat bacon. I want it chewy like jerky and applewood is one of the best things to smoke it with.

>cook it crispy
>overcooking bacon

There is a line between burned and crispy.

Don't get mouthy because you can't cook.

Ideally bacon should be on the border, almost crispy, but mainly though and with some give rather than a snap.

if bacon is crisp it's overcooked in the opinion of many of us. we aren't talking about burnt

I'm not the one complaining because he doesn't know how to use ingredients properly because the general American public finally realized you can make bacon better than the shitty diner on the corner

I agree but I'm getting shitty beef jerky texture from what I posted in Op.

I agree on the ultra thick cut stuff being too thick, but the opposite is also true. I don't want to pull the slices apart and have them rip due to being paper thin.

Obviously the best bacon is sliced to your preferred thickness from the slab by the guy at your butcher shop. Unless you moved from Vermont to Ohio 7 years ago and realized there are no good butcher shops near your town.

>le shill meme
wew lad
Have you been taking tips from vegans on how to discredit opinions you dislike?

i suffer from none of these problems
thin sliced hickory smoked bacon is just as available as thick cut applewood smoked bacon at every the dingiest of groceries
perhaps you're fucking blind?

It's so they can get you to buy overly seasoned (with sugar and hfcs) bacon to hook you.

I think people who want their bacon cooked crispy to the point of making any kind of audible crunch deserve to go in the same mass grave as the well-done steak crowd. Live and let live only works up to a point. It's meat. If you want ritz crackers with your breakfast they're far cheaper.

Nigger where are you from? I know fer fact that tere are butchers in NC.

cook it in the oven you fucking mongoloids. pan, foil, oven 350 not preheated so fat slowly renders. cook 15 minutes or so flip then 10 more.

crispy bacon is shit. its one of the few things americans can agree on.

Charlotte alone has at least five and who knows how many fish markets

>thinks pork chops are bacon

>crispy bacon is shit. its one of the few things americans can agree on.

guaranteed autism

i love how bacon is advertised as thick cut but steaks are now being advertised as thin cut

>My biggest beef with this bacon
>beef
>bacon

I live in a city of 35,000 people and there is are two butchers in walking distance. You're a nigger.

>and the "butchers" get the same meat sourced from the few companies that exist that also supply to the major grocery chains
You just want to feel "olde timey" when you go to a fucking butcher.

What's the point if it's just a less convenient version of Wal-mart?

dude thick cut bacon is the best idk and you can cook it to crispy perfection and unlike regular bacon its actually thicker than a sheet of paper

IDK about super thick cut but bacon on the thicker side is better than the thinner side

also the apple wood smoked thing is bacon is salted and smoked with hard wood to add flavor and to preserve it.

but yeah the smoked thing is a meme they can charge more cause its apple wood and normies think its much better than just hard wood smoked

thick is a meme in general, thin is always better. Thick burger? into the trash, I would like 2 thin ones stacked please

the intensity of flavor is determined by surface area, the thinner the slices the more surface area you can fit inside something. That's why you slice your deli meats thin and fold them, a thin slice folded on itself will have more flavor than a thick slide

>i dont like meat i just like the sugar coating

this
just tilt your head slightly downwards next time you're bacon shopping OP, you'll get the bacon you want and save a few bucks.

That crispy falling apart bacon is perfect for adding to pizza or burgers or eggs. Fuck pretentious chewy bacon autismos.

>i like to put salty rocks in my food

>only if it's thick, shitty, jerky-bacon

what do you think salt is senpai

all the flavor in a burger is from the browned outside and if you make thick burgers youre just wasting meat

By this logic, hamburger meat should taste better than a steak

>have cast iron skillet
>well seasoned, most things don't stick in it
>bacon always cooks uneven in it, have to baby sit it with a flat spatula to push it down into it
>leaves a small burn layer in my skillet anyways no matter how long I cook it

Man, fuck bacon. What am I doing wrong? It isn't even worth the trouble it seems.

One time i was at a restaurant and got this kind of peppered slightly-candied bacon. The world's most top tier bacon i've ever had, i wish for the day i encounter it again

SoCal fag here. Bacon here sucks, nothing like the options in the Midwest or South. The worst bacon there is the best here.

it does when properly handled

I have the same problem, I dont cook bacon in a cast iron anymore if I want nice bacon strips. Straight to the nonstick normie pan. If Im cooking diced bacon for something else its all good.

Basically, back about 2006/2007 time period a lot of fine dining restaurants started ordering and serving bacon planks... or started ordering and serving very high end cuts of super smokey bacon from limited suppliers like Benton's and Neuske's.

These brands have traditionally thick cut their product when shipping to these restaurants to establish a more substantial product, and to differentiate from normal "breakfast table" style bacon.

Well.. oscar meyer and everyone else took note and found out that they can sell more bacon to america if they thick cut it and make it seem like a more substantial cut and something that can be eaten for lunch and dinner as well.

and - let's face it - a million hipster ass food bloggers and youtube bacon challenge, epic fucktard channels sprunge up and bacon has basically been the central food lover affair so far of the beginning of the millenia.

there was the panini craze of 06 but that came and went.. this bacon thing has had some serious legs.

anyway.. i agree.. both cuts have their uses - but you have to delve into the history of culinary trends to understand why the meat industry would push toward thick cut bacon. it gives the meat a new spin, it opens the product to more use in more meals, it makes it feel more upscale - and they can then charge a premium for it because of that.

large corporations, including factory farming, will model their business in the way that will suck the most money out of their stupid and increasingly more and more uneducated customer base. this is just another sign of the times man.

>not buying from the butcher
It's like you want to be a pleb

>capitalism produces a better product
>a product customers enjoy, want to purchase and feel is worth the price paid
>this is a bad thing and stupid

>>capitalism produces a better product

The whole point of this thread is that what sells the best isnt always the best product. And OP is pissed that he cant get what he thinks is best. Capitalism is a good system, but it swings wildly. Thin bacon was the norm, thick was premium. Now thin is seen by some as premium and can only be found at local butchers for a huge markup and thick is the norm.

My favorite bacon is literally the cheap ass center-cut "Great Value" Walmart brand.

In what state? Seriously.

I have lived in Alabama, Florida, and Colorado and thin sliced bacon exists. It is the same price, you are paying for weight. Even my grandmother whose closest store is Rouse's 20 mins away can find bacon, even turkey bacon.

Is this some sort of inner city phenomenon?

if you think you can make a better bacon at a better price then you should start a business doing that and if you are right you will retire young, successful and rich

>If I don't like it, the Jewish shills are to blame

It's either the OP being oblivious to options that are available to him or just fabricating a completely false story to try and start an argument so he can feel better about how hard he "trolled" Veeky Forums before crying himself to sleep with his anime body pillow.

it's bad when the new product seems to have almost fully replaced the old product.

the other thing is that benton's and neuske's are still not even close to what is being made by these grocery store companies. so it waters down the brand and people think they are getting the better product, but aren't.

pepsi did the same thing with crystal pepsi back in the early 90s when coke started to try and market clear vitamin waters. the branding of coke was implying that clear meant healthy and not sugary - and pepsi dicked them over. in the end, the consumer lost because they had to endure crystal pepsi and the introduction of vitamin waters was fully set back by almost 2 decades.

what oscar meyer is producing as "Thick cut bacon" is not a luxury or top shelf product.. it is just slightly more thick cut.

you can still eat the oscar meyer product straight like a breakfast meat.

benton's and nueske's ALMOST can't be eaten straight. they have to be cooked into a risotto or baked into corn bread or sliced as lardons and rendered and the oil used to gently flavor a dish.

because of oscar meyer confusing the market with, essentially, what is, the "brand dilution" of thick cut bacon - the consumer isn't going to get the motivation to seek out these other bacon producers.

I get that they are just helping meet a demand from a client base that can't really tell the difference - but that means i have to put up with this shit tier thick cut bacon getting served at brunch when my idiot sister invites me over. i'd rather she stick with the thin cut super crispy bacon of my childhood. if you are going to cook thick cut - it should be a premium brand and you should cook it into a dish with respect as a flavoring element. if you serve 1/4 inch thick (or thicker) bacon planks as part of an entree you are un-classed, disaster of a human being.

I love the center cut Hornell bacon.

It's got a hint of sweetness I think, and I like that

pepsi and coke both lost their ass on shit products the market rejected

thick bacon isn't going anywhere soon though man. it's objectively superior to thin cut and crispy bacon is shit. thin cut is still offered in every store (like another poster said look down) its always on the bottom shelf cheap as fuck because no one wants to buy it

i am sorry your mom fucked up cooking bacon when you were young but this doesn't mean everyone else should have to eat that shit.

Luxury problem. 90%+ of the "bacon" sold in my country is now pork belly treated with fucking liquid smoke.

see
I assume its regional taste, but the point still stands. Im paying more now for the lowest quality I am used to for the "best available here." At least that I have found so far.

Holy shit, you seriously believe that's how it works? It's not about actually having a better product. It's about convincing people that you've got a better product.

>crispy bacon is shit.

if you want to eat jerky, then you should buy jerky.

snap into a slim jim man. you seem cranky when you haven't had your nitrates for the day.

Not OP, not trolling and not oblivious. Although there may be a specialty store I havent found that might meet my expectations.

Not giving up my current well paying job to take a risk in a foodie market. As I said markets swing wildly and I could easily spend 5 years building a brand and the current fad ends without me making a significant profit. Its like you are arguing for the sake of argument.

>Its like you are arguing for the sake of argument.

no its more likely that he just doesn't have any good points to argue and is grasping for bullshit straws.

It never ceases to amaze me just how badly fuck up the concept of bacon.

Aside from the completely wrong cut of the pig, you burn your bacon and act like non-burnt bacon is "chewy". Truly America is the worst thing to happen to cuisine.

i smell a canadian bacon lover..

you do realize that what you are eating isn't even really bacon right?

if your product is the cheapest people will buy it and not expect it to be the best but its objectively the cheapest option

if your product is not the cheapest it has to taste better than comparable options or people will not buy it

if your product is the most expensive option you will probably be more reliant on advertising and marketing to create brand loyalty

all of these options exist in basically every facet of your life and it is beautiful to have so many choices.

people buying off the dollar menu aren't convinced they are getting the better product.

I have to disagree to some point. I know many people who are convinced that canned, salted bland veggies are exactly the same as fresh produce when it comes to what they put into their meals. They are convinced that a Big Mac is better than any proper burger and that a Miller High Life is literally the champagne of beers. These people have never had real champagne or a good beer, or a good burger or anything good as far as I can tell. Because they buy whats popular and whats advertised and whats cheap.

>people buying off the dollar menu aren't convinced they are getting the better product.

Some are. The chicken nuggets on the dollar menu are the same chicken nuggets that aren't on the dollar menu - just fewer of them. They are the best "chicken nugget" you can get at any fast food establishment - in the style of fried pink goo.

sure chicken tenders or white meat nuggets ala chick fil a might be considered better, but i would consider it an entirely different product. not even comparable to the mcD chicken nugget.

the simple, humble, cheese burger with steamed onions on the dollar menu is the best thing on the menu. it's what ray kroc built his empire on.

the reason it is on the dollar menu, is because mcdonalds execs are trying to make it look like a cheap low market option compared to their big expensive "luxury" burgers - but they are only doing that so they can raise the average amount of money sucked out of a customer before they pull out of the drivethrough.

if you aren't ordering simple cheese and hamburgers at mcD's you have fallen for their marketing and you are buying 2nd tier product that is not true to the brands roots.

Can someone point me in the right direction for learning about bacon?

No, this thread is about macroeconomics

You need 'go cut toppings for 'go style za.

We have plenty of butchers here in America, the one in my town is run by the asians

>If someone is pretending to be a butcher it's in some rich part of town and they are supplied with the same products from the same distributors as the large grocery chains.

And how does that make them not a butcher? A butcher gets whole carcasses and/or primal cuts from a distributor, breaks it down into smaller cuts and sells it to retail customers.

Kek

Try uncured bacon. It's cured but they call it that for reasons.

>butchers aren't a thing in America. If someone is pretending to be a butcher it's in some rich part of town and they are supplied with the same products from the same distributors as the large grocery chains.
This is about the most retarded thing I've ever seen posted on this board, and I'm counting all the fake meme-spouting bullshit, Irish Soda Bread guy, and the whole host of retarded suicidals that make their home here.

I live in an average mid- to large-sized city in the Midwest, nothing special at all. And we have tons of ethnic Poles, Czechs, Germans, Italians, Irish, Slovenes, Chinese, Ukrainians, Hungarians, Koreans, Greeks, Puerto Ricans, Vietnamese, Arabs, and Negroes. And they all want fucking meat in all different shapes, sizes, and cuts. You can't walk half a mile without tripping over butcher shops (and bakeries) here.

Where the fuck do you live that you can't find a butcher shop?

>i smell a canadian bacon lover..
>you do realize that what you are eating isn't even really bacon right?

canadian bacon or fucking britbong smoked pork chops... argue and whine about bacon and they don't even know what it is

I feel your pain user. It's the same shit here.

>thinks bacon is pork chops

chewy > crispy so thick cut is superior

>Bacon is an American invention.

>so apt
thank you.

>I get that they are just helping meet a demand from a client base that can't really tell the difference - but that means i have to put up with this shit tier thick cut bacon getting served at brunch when my idiot sister invites me over. i'd rather she stick with the thin cut super crispy bacon of my childhood. if you are going to cook thick cut - it should be a premium brand and you should cook it into a dish with respect as a flavoring element. if you serve 1/4 inch thick (or thicker) bacon planks as part of an entree you are un-classed, disaster of a human being.
lol, thank you for saying this. It's like you're me just better at expressing it.

You understand my bacon woes.

>Truly America is the worst thing to happen to cuisine.
Fuck off. You need to try the shit in Op and the flavorless, jerky-like chewiness will make you sick.

It's not premium bacon, it's just a bad cut of meat, poorly flavored, badly processed and too thickly cut.

Man fuck cast iron, I want a pan to cook in, not a freaking child I have to take care of. Enameled cast iron is god-tier because you get all the benefits of cast iron without having to treat it like the whiny bitch it is.

Bacon - United States

Learn to eat gringos

Cannibalism doesn't suit me.

>A butcher gets whole carcasses and/or primal cuts from a distributor, breaks it down into smaller cuts and sells it to retail customers.
>implying that happens anymore
again, it's the same fucking products, already processed and brought to the chain grocery stores or your "local butcher".

You're living in a fantasy land where Agribusiness hasn't decimated mom-and-pop stores to fucking nothing.

the infrastructure is gone too. It's all a few, very large companies in a cartel that supply your food for you.

>and that a Miller High Life is literally the champagne of beers
people don't actually think this right? i buy it sometimes because it's cheap and nice to change it up from whatever else i've been drinking

>ignored by point
Yep I'm sure there are all of these small farms and olde timey slaughter houses run by small companies.

No way it is 2 or 3 companies dominating the market and dictating quality and product output everywhere nation-wide.

What the fuck are you even talking about? Do you know what a butcher shop is?

I don't mean to pile on more, but here in northern New York we have butchers in every grocery store as well as butchers in strip malls that also have a little market of local food items. They are definitely a thing, but they sell more than just meat around here, though meat is definitely the focus of those shops. I don't know if that's the way it is everywhere else, I assume it is.

>Do you know what a butcher shop is?
Nostalgia?

You need to see the supply chain.

What you think is a butcher shop is more like a Hostess Bakery™ outlet rather than an actual fucking bakery.

Butcher shops are dead and what remains is an illusion.

American beer was in this state up until 5-10 years ago. Major beer companies bought out and closed pretty much every small brewery in America. You didn't have a choice of what to drink. You can have Budweiser, Miller or some other major brand.

Now we've had a huge resurgence of small breweries making craft beer. Lots of variety and choices.

No such thing has happened with "the meat industry". It's very few companies producing a relatively small variety of products.

tl;dr my point is When you think you're going to a local butcher, you're getting the same products as sold in major grocery stores because both of those entities buy from the single major supplier.

>"Wow, my meat is so much better from my local butcher than from those major chain grocery stores!"

Nope, it comes from the same supplier, the same processor and the same factory. The difference is packaging and your feelings about it.

Maybe in the benighted hellhole that you live in. Where I live, there's plenty of places where I can call ahead, request an uncommon cut, and it's ready for me when I arrive.

Maybe stop getting your meat at the Wal-Mart meat counter?

Angus is a Scottish breed of beef cow prized for it's flavourful meat, the way Frisians are prized for the quality of their milk or Brahmin are for their hardy drought & tick resistance.

I live in a major metropolitan area with millions of people.

It's all just chain/corporate hell. That's what America is now. We're Wal-Mart everywhere but by a different name.

There are way too few food companies here. There are way too few seed companies here. Everything is homogenized by a very few companies. No variety, no regional specialties or flavor just food corporation cartels.

This has been cultivated by America or a very long time. I used to work for a food supplier. It's embarrassing to see how much food is previously prepared at some factory at restaurants.

Eggs from a carton, hamburgers pressed and shat out of some machine. Most everything isn't "made from scratch" or from local or fresh ingredients.

The small-town, mom-and-pop feel you're seeing at some places is an illusion. They are just another distribution front for large food companies that charge you a premium so you think you're getting homemade sausage from some Polish grandma. That fucking bitch ordered it from a food supply company.

>That fucking bitch ordered it from a food supply company.

Wew lad, take it easy on the poor old lady. Sounds like you're mad at her.

I don't get why you think real butchers don't exist. They get the whole animal right?

>I don't get why you think real butchers don't exist. They get the whole animal right?
They get it precut, off a truck, in a box.

It's no different from a chain grocery.

Bruh I literally live across from a butcher in NC. People take hogs, deer, and cows to be processed by him every week.