Is the best way to season ground meat for burgers to just add salt and pepper??

Is the best way to season ground meat for burgers to just add salt and pepper??

What do you guys think of adding breadcrumbs or onion into the ground meat.

What about sauces like mustard or bbq sauce??

What's your fav burger recipe Veeky Forums?

Whatever works man, everyone has a different way of making burgers and it's no fun just letting someone tell you what to add.
Me? I mean, I use egg whites, onions, and seasoning salt, makes it "loafier"

Mix in melted butter, thank me later. About one stick of salted butter per pound of beef, as well as whatever seasoning you like

I fill a spray bottle with soy sauce then when the are on the grill sprinkle granulated garlic and cracked pepper then spray with then mist heavily with the soy sauce

Goddamn i dont even have a buzz yet and I can't type

just salt and pepper + 80/20 meat

all that onions, egg, breadcrumb shit i would only do for leaner meat like in your picture but its pretty shit tier meat for burgers desu

i like a nice mustard on the bun, raw red onions, whatever cheese you like, mushrooms

biggest tip would be use 80/20 though bro. burgers need some fat or they are shit.

Worcestershire sauce & butter. Along with the S&P.

Sounds like a meatloaf, not a burger.
This.
Sounds like it would burn.

Garlic powder, pepper, no salt. Meat is salty enough already.

God damn I'm loving these techniques. More like these please.

Here's a secret OP, the ultimate seasoning for burgers.

Equal parts garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. You want about 2 tsp of seasoning per pound of beef.

It's not unique, it's not interesting, but it really gets the job done. I've had family members (plebeians, but still) tell me they're the best burgers they ever tasted

I lost count of how many restaurants I've worked at, and let me tell you, most places almost use just plain salt -- sometimes mixed with MSG. The use of pepper was pretty rare, actually. I don't think it made much of a difference, to be honest.

Salt, beef quality and cooking technique seem to play the biggest roles in taste, in my experience.

If you can, buy beef and grind it yourself. It's a much more crumbly texture and easier to form into round patties or smash it onto a hot griddle, whichever. Then salt it and sear it on both sides until it has a dark crust.

Makes my dick quiver just thinking about it.

almost always*

Personally I like to put a little bit of breadcrumbs as filler because your paddy is gonna end up shrinking once you cook it.

This + hp sauce

2 kilos of ground beef
1 cup breadcrumbs
1 cup diced onions
2 whole eggs
Salt
Pepper
Garlic Powder

That soy sauce idea sounds great desu.

Per 1.5lbs of meat I add a handful of grated parmegian, 3 slices of processed wheat bread, one egg, one tablespoon of olive oil and 3 chopped and fried red onions (never regular). And salt and pepper to taste.

Hence why I said "Loafier", I don't use hamburger buns, I use flatter rolls, like for subs. It was how I was raised.

how much is a "stick"?

About this much

I thought a 'stick' was a quarter pound which is WAY too much for a pound of beef

1 pound = 2 cups
1 stick = 1/2 cup

so yes.. its a quarter pound of butter and he is a fatass

A stick is 1/4 pound and trust me, it is not too much

Any other burger recs?

Thought you weren't supposed to salt until after they're done. If I want to use Zatarains, should I mix it in or sprinkle it on after?

Also, what does the egg do? How much egg should I add per pound?

I would think breadcrumbs would make a dry burger patty.

My beef burger patty...kosher salt, cracked black pepper and olive oil.

Another version, is same as above while adding a little liquid smoke and garlic powder.

>Is the best way to season ground meat for burgers to just add salt and pepper??
Yes.

>What do you guys think of adding breadcrumbs or onion into the ground meat.
No.

>What about sauces like mustard or bbq sauce??
Whatever sauce/spread you prefer on the burger after it's cooked.

>What's your fav burger recipe Veeky Forums?
Beef, salt, pepper, grill or pan-sear until desired doneness.

>A stick is 1/4 pound and trust me, it is not too much
No really, it is.

>Is the best way to season ground meat for burgers to just add salt and pepper??

Generally yes. You don't need to season a burger heavily to get some flavor out of it. Of course I add a little more for personal taste.

I see that happen but I don't care for it. Breadcrumbs are more of a meatloaf or meatball thing. If it's done in a burger it's usually done to stretch out the beef and it tends to make the patties dry.

>What about sauces like mustard or bbq sauce??

Maybe if you're doing meatloaf or homemade Manwiches. Other than that, no. I assume you're talking about seasoning.

Salt
Onion Powder
Red Wine Vinegar

or

Soy sauce
ginger
nutmeg
onion + garlic powder
red wine vinegar

Isn't that the literally meatloaf

Butter or 2% milk, minced garlic and onion (or garlic/onion powder), and toasted white bread in crumbs.

Soy sauce, sesame oil, and vinegar glaze.

What about percentages? I just bought some 73%-27% for tomorrow. Is 80-20, 85-15, or 90-10 better??

opinions?

80-20 is the best IMO.

I add salt, pepper, 2 tbsp minced onions, 1 tbsp minced garlic, 2 Tbsp paprika, and 1 Tsp Cayenne pepper to about 2 lbs of raw 80/20 beef, then I add about 1/4 cup ketchup and a handful of shredded cheddar or Swiss cheese.

came here to post this exactly with same exact family reactions, this man right here OP knows what he's talking about. My only addition would be WORCESTERSHIRE once you've added the dry mix I like to drown the mother fucker in worcestershire, keeps it nice and juicy

This is my special season all blend
-garlic powder
-paprika
-dried mustard
-seasoned salt
-pepper
I also dust homemade french fries with the shit

>to just add salt and pepper??
Yes. After forming the patty.

Breadcrumbs are an unnecessary binder. just use the proper fat content beef instead.

Onions are silly to mix into the patty because they have a very different cooking time than the beef does. They also will sweat water into the patty while it cooks and you don't want that.

It makes a lot more sense to add whatever other flavors you want separate from the patty, that way you have more control over how they are cooked.

i like Julia Childs recipe. 15-20% fat salt pepper thyme and worcestershire sauce.

What about the butter idea? What do you think of adding melted butter to the meat?

OP here, decided to go with this seasoning set up for one batch and pic related for another. It was a premade burger seasons I got from the supermarket.

Will post reactions after the BBQ.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'll be saving all the other ideas to try next time I make burgers.

Hate to say it, but the store bought spices won by a mile.

A couple notes,
I think I would have been better off with some ground sirloin instead of the 73-27 whatever I got.
An egg added to the ground meat probably would have made it juicer.

How fucking fat are you?

My uncle uses Zatar and Cumin

Shit's fucking great. Highly recommend.

salt and pepper while in the pan, maybe put some mustard on top before flipping, if you really want to try adding stuff you should do it right once, to have a baseline, in my personal opinion everything else just fucks things up

good burgers are meatloaf and vice versa. they're literally the same thing, except burgers are meatloaves on buns.

If yu want to make good burgers, it's bread crumbs an egg, minced garlic, caramelized onions, salt and pepper, optional paprika or butter, cheese in the middle, or thyme.

Just use fattier meat in the first place, 70/30 by itself will be greasier than doing this to 80/20.

Only use breadcrumbs if the meat is too loose to form into patties, which can happen if you add eggs. Never tried the butter thing, will do that next time.

Don't ever put mozzarella on a burger.

Okay, okay. I may have gone overboard suggesting one stick of butter per pound of beef, but adding melted butter really will make a better burger. I have worked in restaurants and this is a common practice.

Not OP but I'm gonna make a large burger the size of a turkish round bread which is gonna be the bun. It's for some friends and me to eat.

What are some good toppings ideas, I'm thinking about sliced tomatoes, pickle slices, gouda cheese (dutchfag), raw onions and caramalized onions. For sauces a combination of guacamole and sambal.

Coarse black pepper
Sea salt
Liquid smoke
Worcestershire sauce
Finely chopped or processed onion

That'll do

I use:

-grated onion
-grated garlick
-worchestershire
-S&P

The butter idea i read above sounds great desu

Tip: instead of dirtying up a food processor or anything, run your onion through a cheese grater

>classic image.jpg

>onion
>an egg
>bit of garlic
>salt
>bit of cayenne
>fenugreek
>a drizzle of olive oil and butter

Anyone have any ideas for a cheese-stuffed burger? Like the juicy Lucy from twin cities

Don't. It's really pointless. You just end up with a dry burger but there's cheese inside.

Try making a cheese sauce instead if you want a sloppy cheesy burger

Mix ketchup into the meat. Keeps it moist and sweet.

On tv they used pre made frozen patties. Is it harder to make a good stuffed burger with ground meat? Just can't be done?

I'm There's honestly no fucking point. What difference does it make if there's cheese inside your burger instead of on top? Burger meat is not like pastry, it doesn't lend itself to being filled with shit.