Gardening/Growing your own food

Hey guys, I just moved into a new house and have a nice little garden going on in the backyard. Wanted to start a thread for discussing growing our own food.
I have raspberries, strawberries, peppres, scallions and a few apple trees planted. Any cool ideas for things to grow?

There's a thread on /out/ I'm pretty sure
just look for the homegrow thread

Oh cheers, I've never spent any time in /out/.

has anyone else every tugged one out in a mid summer corn field?

I have some herbs in my balcony and I masturbate there frequently, does that count? I don't jizz on the plants though.

yea that is really a similar situation

its not about busting on a leaf

it is but a rare feeling

Tomatoes and herbs the only things worth growing.

If you disagree with me let's talk in late August when your hard work ends up devoured by disgusting bugs and half chewed up by sadistic birds.

Tomato foliage is poisonous so those little assholes don't fuck with it.

I used to go shrooming in a cow pasture back in high school ("one for me, one for the bag" type deal), and had sex with my high school gf right in the middle of the pasture a couple of times.

I masturbate under apricot trees when the weather's nice.

If anyone needs tips, feel free to ask. Got 99 farming on rs, quite a pro you could say, hahaha

Is Veeky Forums shit?

>Tomato foliage is poisonous so those little assholes don't fuck with it.

Not always true.

Every time I've tried to grow tomatoes in my back yard, stupid fucking birds always peck holes in the tomatoes just as they're starting to ripen.

I suppose I could build some kind of frame over the garden and put netting over it, but that's really more work than I'm willing to go through just to grow some fucking tomatoes. So I just gave up trying to grow tomatoes because of the faggot birds.

Yes, like all Veeky Forums boards

foliage=vegetative tissue

birds are some nasty fuckers on tomatoes though

you may have to pick up another hobby...

*uninstalls Veeky Forums*

The best things for you to grow at home are stuff that doesn't transport well or are used in smaller quantities

Tomatoes from the garden are about 1000% times better than the shit you can get in a store
Herbs of all kinds will not only smell nice but you can use them in your cooking. I like the ones that are better fresh like basil, tarragon, chives, cilantro. Chives will even act as a perennial if you don't live in Alaska. For the others though you have to prune the flowers or they decline rapidly, especially cilantro

Veeky Forums chased off the real posters a while back but this was the original home board for the homegrowmen

I have tomatoes, cukes, lettuce and basil in, no time for anything more

I grow garlic and bay and other preventives and I don't lose much as all.

I have a pair of Lake hawks that take care of my bird problem. I don't even mind losing the rare chicken to them.

>not losing tomato plants to hornworms
seems like you've been pretty lucky, desu

I have a few types of tomatoes growing, I'm a big fan of home grown cherry tomatoes so that was a priority to me.
My herb garden has basil, green onions and cilantro growing in it now. I may try my hand at garlic after reading some of these posts.
I went out and got some kale and cabbage today. I might post some pics of my progress to see what you guys think. It seems like this isn't a bad place to discuss growing our own food, though the thread on /out/ is pretty cool.
Thanks for the advice.

Here's a pic of my strawberry progress. Excited as hell to eat them, they were pretty easy to grow.

Growing mainly herbs this year (I don't have much room for gardening) but I also have some blackberries and brandywine raspberries growing like crazy right now. As far as herbs go, I have globe basil, thyme, chives, garlic chives, peppermint, catnip, green and red shiso (perilla), rosemary, and oregano. The globe basil is going fucking crazy, and all the other herbs are regrowth from last year.

Grow hot peppers

Don't forget to stress them with low water so that they actually get spicy, my friend grew a big basket of the sweetest jalapeƱos in existence because he didn't know what he was doing (they were still delicious though)

All /out/ talks about is starting shit indoors, which is gay.

I'm on year 5 of preparing my asparagus beds

Planted a dozen hazelnuts

Mushrooms

>I'm on year 5 of preparing my asparagus beds

Why do you prepare them for many years?
What's the prep process?

I just planted mine straight away.

>my friend grew a big basket of the sweetest jalapeƱos in existence because he didn't know what he was doing (they were still delicious though)

Yeah, that really doesn't sound bad at all.