ITT: Your best cake recipe

Still a novice, but here`s the best one I`ve adapted.

2 cups sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups water
1 cup vegetable oil
2 tbs distilled white vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Mix dry ingredients in large bowl.
Add wet ingredients (that includes the egg). Beat by hand until smooth.
Pour into three greased 9-inch round pans.
Bake for 20 minutes, or until passes toothpick test.

Ganache:
8 oz. semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup heavy whipping cream.
1 tbs butter.

Bring cream to simmer, pour over chocolate and butter, stir until blended, let cool to room temperature, or chill for icing consistency.

Other urls found in this thread:

addapinch.com/cooking/the-best-chocolate-cake-recipe-ever/
minimalistbaker.com/how-to-make-vegan-chocolate-ganache-frosting/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What does the oil in the cake batter for?

that 'go 'za looks a little burnt to me

I don`t know. It was in the original recipe. As I said, I`m still a novice, so I don`t know that much of the chemistry behind baking yet. All I know is that the taste and texture of the product was superior to all previous cakes I had made.

I always do this one
addapinch.com/cooking/the-best-chocolate-cake-recipe-ever/

Sometimes I'll replace the egg with NoEgg and the cow milk for soy or almond milk, to make a vegan cake. No idea how to make a tasty vegan ganache though

In English, please.

moisture, crumb.

Damn, I must have only scratched the surface of this board in browsing. I`m...not sure what you`re trying to express.

minimalistbaker.com/how-to-make-vegan-chocolate-ganache-frosting/
suggests vegan ganache possible. Never had to make vegan myself, so not sure if tasty.

generally you want your 'go 'za to be gooey, not crunchy

What is "'go 'za"?

Thanks, gonna give it a look. What would you suggest for filling? I was thinking something like blackberry jam

Get a scale and find the proper weight ratios. Your baking will improve immensely.

Never used separate filling before. I find raspberry flavor combines very well with heavy chocolate, so I would suggest something of the sort.

try replacing the water with black coffee.

I know pan weighing is important for multi-layer, but what specifically do you mean?

When you bake you should base the amount of your ingredients off of weight instead of volume.

Flour is light and fluffy. You might scoop out 3 cups of flour, but those cups aren't equal. If one cup is more packed than one of the others, you could be adding too much/too little flour.

I'm probably terrible at explaining it, but long story short; weight is more accurate than volume

No, I got you. Still uni slave, so no scale to use yet. All my equipment right now is gifts, borrowed, or taken from parents. Perhaps this will be the next request.

you could pack 1 cup of flour down to 1/2 cup if you tried. volumetric measurements are a less accurate measurement of the actual ingredient because there will be a varying amount of air in between the smaller particles of the ingredient. air has a negligable mass compared to the ingredient you are measuring, but does not always take up a negligable volume.

these are the finer details of the recipe, though.

the top selling kitchen scale on Amazon is like $35. save your pennies and nickels

I got a decent enough digital scale for 11 bucks off Amazon. Not the best and probably not the most accurate available, but it works for me.

>not just eyeballing your baking
It ain't rocket surgery

chicago pizza, it's a new meme :^)

The oil adds moisture to the cake.

A few changes to this recipe, user.

First, you don't put wet onto dry. You do dry into wet for cakes. You'll get a better crumb doing it this way.

Cut down the oil to 1/4 cup, and do 3/4 cup of butter instead. Let the butter get to room temp, then cream it with the oil and the sugar until fluffy in texture and almost white in color. This puts air bubbles into the butter that your leavening will fill up and inflate.

I hate typing on my phone, it aids in retaining moisture in the bake and lends to a tighter crumb in the finished product.