I want to try red wine but I don't know any good brands available to me

I want to try red wine but I don't know any good brands available to me

What would I be able to pick up at CVS, Walgreens, or my local liquor store that won't taste like booty?

Budget is ≤$20

Just pick something in your price range. If you like it, great, you can get it again sometime. If not, you know what not to buy.

The first two are just going to have garbage

The last depends on your local liquor store

Boone's Farm makes a killer red.

you can definitely get a good tasting wine in the 10-20 range at a liquor store or wine store. just let the guy working there recommend some and go from there.

Wine doesn't really have "brands" until you get into the riduculous $1000 dollar plus bottles that are just meme tier. Wine has grape varieties but these are very difficult to learn and there are still good berollos and bad riojas.
The only way to learn what you like is to drink lots of wine. Ignore the price, beyond basic shit like the wine blatantly tasting of sulphur or vinegar, there is no such thing as good wine or bad wine. Good wine is wine you like. Your best wine could come in at $10 a bottle.

>there are no brands except $1000 wines
WTF are you talking about

grab a bottle of blended red
keep trying them till you find one that you like
(aphotic is my personal choice)

then on try different styles of wines

read a chart on the depth and how well they pair

kendal jackson, yellow tail, da vinci

three brands you will find pretty much everywhere that have bottles in the 10-20 range.

there are so many vinyards around the world, so many more than beer or whisky, because most of them only make a couple of wines. There could be twenty vinyards within a couple miles of each in a big wine producing area. Because of this huge market saturation brand name matters much less.

Go to the liquor store and ask for the best Côtes du Rhône under $20.

>those prices
Jesus, I can see why people just don't bother with wine in some places
You seem to be mixing up several distinct concepts

A brand is just a marketing name that may or may not have anything to do with the wine's "real" origin

What you're thinking of is an estate or grower wine, which in turn may use fruit from one or more vineyards owned by the estate

Your comments about price are way, way off. Unless you live in the blighted hellscape between the Hudson River and the Diablo Range, single estate and single vineyard wines (note these are two distinct concepts) are easily found cheap enough that you can drink them every day unless you're really hard up

Oh I live in bongland and buy most of my wine in bulk in France and Spain. Was converting to dollars for convenience. Didn't consider the way people sell wine would differ that much.

Yeah those are hobo wines, $10-20 is fucking crazy

$20 is on the expensive end for someone who knows nothing about what wines they like. You can get decent enough wines for half that.

Like said, unless they royally fuck it up and it tastes like vinegar (very unlikely) it just comes down to your preference.

i can get a half gall on yellow tail for $9

a bottle is like $4

i don't drink the shit though

lol @10-20 for trash

I dunno man, I grew up drinking $20-30 bottles regularly, nicer ones on special occasions, and as an adult I've continued that habit

Meanwhile my friends who never drank much wine had their first foray via cheap stuff like what the bong listed, and they pretty much never bothered with it after that

Maybe that's just a coincidence, or maybe people instinctively know what's wholesome and what isn't, even if they don't know all the special terms

If you think red wine "tasts like booty", there isn't a magical bottle out there that will convince you it doesn't. It's an acquired taste and most red wine is supposed to be bitter.

Just buy a bottle of Manischewitz if you want kool-aid that gets you drunk.

He has no idea

I was
is someone else.

I really like Wayne Gretzkeys wines. They are pretty cheap but they are ridiculous quality. But I like my reds really fruity so

this post meant for

>kendal jackson, yellow tail, da vinci
>people unironically suggesting these

Go to publix and get Las Rocas granacha. Best $10 wine you can get. Then start drinking more and learn what tastes good and bad. If you buy a bottle and it tastes like raisins it is bad.

You will get some stinkers, don't force yourself to drink it and dump the bottle.

>If you think red wine "tasts like booty", there isn't a magical bottle out there that will convince you it doesn't

This is absolutely not true

>If you think red wine "tasts like booty", there isn't a magical bottle out there that will convince you it doesn't

Wine isn't bitter. wtf are you drinking? you realize bitter is what dark chocolate tastes like right?

I remember when that stuff was $6.50

Used to use it for cooking a lot

Anything by jacobs creek is usually a good bet. My favorite wine of all time is their Moscato

I think he means astringent. It could be easy to confuse the two.

2/10

I've had some cheap south American wines that were straight up bitter

Remember that Veeky Forums unironically believes that nice things are a scam, I can easily see some memester living off cono sur Cabernet and convincing himself it's normal to screw up your face in a scowl while drinking wine

Are you even old enough to buy wine?

you caught my ruse

Really? Are you telling me you think I'm under 21 because I think wine doesn't taste bitter?

Also someone that starts drinking fucking Kendall Jackson and thinks wine is bad should definitely try something that isn't boxed wine before they decide whether they like it or not.

Try a Roscato from Rosso Dolce. It's a very sweet red wine so if you like whites you should like this. I think it would be a very good entry point into reds for someone who doesn't like them that much.

Rarely drink wine, but I always bring this bottle to get togethers. It's always one of the first bottles drank when I bring it.

I'll buy a bottle and cool it down in the fridge a little sometimes when making a good steak. I've never come across another wine that has compelled me to buy it based on taste

It's $18 a bottle here.

>blighted hellscape between the Hudson and the Diablo range

You seem to be forgetting the Finger Lakes and its world class wines there, hombre.

wasn't suggesting them. they are, in fact, brands that sell below $1,000, which is the topic of the post that post was responding to.

a killer hot pink i think you mean.

OP here is how you make wine:
a. juice up the graes (free from Gods earth)
b. ferment it with yeasts (cheap)
3. clear it up with some CHITOSAN or gelatin or whateer (no big deal)
4. put it somewhere nice and wait (time ain't money)
5. mutherfukkin party time (hell yea)

now unless some dumb itiot made it and oxidized it or infected it or whateer then it will taste like an ok wine at least. een barefoot is smarter than that, they got science labs and shit.

so why would you pay $20??? checkmate

((yea my key is broken i don't gie a care BITCH))

Aussie shiraz for people who are in love with the idea of being able to say they absolutely adore pinot noir

Pick up any Bordeaux.

I have read, and heard from a few experts, that if you look around, there are some ready-to-drink reds under $20 that are almost indistinguishable from God Tier $100+ aged bottles. Some favorites of mine are "Josh" Pinot Noir and Cab Sauvignon. I think these are pretty versatile and awesome- great sipping wines or with cheese/cured meat snacks or paired with a fatty dark/red meat like duck or lamb.

Trader joes Two buck chuck

Try this senpai. $10-15 at Food Lion and good as fuck with steak. It'll turn your shit black though.

If you live near a Trader Joes spring for $2 charles shaw. Some of that shit like their cab or shiraz is better than $50 brands those absolute madmen.

Stay away from the whites though. They found paint thinner in that stuff.

Carnivore is amazing with any red meat

I just got a 100$ voucher for nakedwines.com.

Is any of their stuff good? 60$ for a case of mirowinery (is that even a thing?) bottles doesn't sound that bad desu.

Get any Beaujoilais or try apothic red blend.

Youll thank me later, plebs stand by to have your cock blown off.

the paint thinner just gets you shitfaced faster. nothing wrong with that. isn't that the whole point of $2 a bottle wine?

My nigger. Beaujolais is amazing for the price.
Diabolica isn't bad either, but it is a bit sweet.

It's the white van speakers scam of wine, do not fall for it

start cheap and keep raising the price until you find something drinkable.

I find if I go below $15 for white or $10 for red it is terrible. people say price doesn't matter but that is nonsense. above a certain price price doesn't really matter, but cheap wine is cheap for a reason. red wine is pretty forgiving. cheap white wine is just trash.

>above a certain price price doesn't really matter,

what did I mean by this? it's a bad sentence caused by drinking red wine.

I should have said that the above around $80 there is no difference that anyone - even so-called winefags - will notice. you are paying for the label, hopefully for a special occasion. not to drink and shitpost on Veeky Forums.

>above $80
Where do you live, California?

"Good quality" and "what I like to drink" aren't necessarily the same thing

If you're into fresh flavors your cutoff should be more like $30, beyond that you're getting age-worthy wines or actually aged wines

If you want to have a good time with wine on the cheap, develop a taste for the styles made in appellations that aren't too expensive, and stay away from new world wines where some idiot decided the wine that's affordable should taste like ass and the wine that's good needs to be $100 a bottle

all wine opinions are pretty subjective. for me my low starting points are as I mentioned before. the most I have paid for wine I enjoyed outside of a restaurant - and didn't know deep down that I paid too much for - was a 2009 chablis which was $80 and worth it. everything above that is premier cru meme territory as far as my palette is concerned.

$15 bordeaux on the go now and it's great.

Forget brands
Look into countries and grapes

You're right, more or less. My daily drinkers are all very good, and the most expensive of them are $15 a bottle. But I live in a place where there are many wine shops where the owners are proud of the selections they offer, tracking down interesting wines at good value. But plenty of wine shops seem like they're stocked by just asking the distributor what sells, and running with that. In those places you're lucky to find something drinkable under $10 unless you like Yellowtail.

Also, the cheap wine can be the best ethos only applies to relatively simple wine meant to be drunk young. If you like structured wine with a decent amount of bottle age on it things get expensive pretty quickly. Also some grapes are just plain hard to work with. It's easy to find cheap bad Pinot Noir. But if your taste runs to something resembling a classic Burgundy the cost of entry (where I live) is over $20 these days.