OFT

Obscure Foods Thread - No memes edition

Pic related is sancocho dominicano, stew with many types of meat, green bananas, plantains, avocado, corn, yam, yucca, chilies, peppers, onions, bitter oranges, and malanga.

>obscure

It's a basic as fuck stew with a little of every common meat and a bunch of Caribbean slave vegetables thrown in.

Probably the most annoying thing to me about cooking culture is how swapping out one ingredient for another means the whole dish is called something else.

Trying to pretend there's more to cooking than there actually is.

Home made Gribenes

>Jew bacon

praise allah

This is poverty slop for slaves

Monkey brain

Sancocho is not obscure. It's a staple dish in the cuisines of at least a dozen countries.

Nakládaný hermelín. Pickled cheese.

Ah shieeet is that some 'cago 'tyle 'tar??

'go 'za

Tlayuda oaxaqueña

Loco moco.

No it's Noma, the best restaurant in the world.

That cheese isn't even melted

Whats a 'noma?

the differences are almost always more complicated than you think

>No it's Noma, the best restaurant in the world.

This meme is even worse than the 'go style 'za one.

>Obscure Foods Thread

You cant get more obscure than the Bread Sandwich.

I know we probably have all had it atlead once.

This recipy was further improved in Britiain in the Victorian era i think, where they suggested toasting the middle bread of the sandwich. I have actually tried this and it works.

tired meme

No one outside of the UK seems to know what Brandson Pickle is. And some countries are very much against the piquant flavour of vinager.

Well, what this is is pickles, similar to dill pickles, with a piquant acidic jam with tiny pearl onions.

Goes well with a stronk British chedder. I basically lived on these things while i was at school.

Even better as a toasted sandwich.

>on a bed of straw

On a bed of STRAW for fuck sack.

That's pretty neat, never heard of that before

>bananas in a soup
>bananas with a meal

barbarian

What's the difference between a banana and a plantain anyhow?

ur a dumdum

Plantains are more like potatoes.

Bananas are softer and much sweeter, and usually are eaten raw. Plantains are a bit more fibrous, much starchier (think potato + banana), a bit blander, and a bitch to peel without a knife. Plantains are eaten green for a more potato like experience and eaten ripened for a more banana like fruit (still cooked, but differently than a green one).

>Yucca
There is no fucking yucca anywhere near that bowl

I want white people to stop raping food by trying to talk about it, stick with your tendies and ranch please, or better yet just stop existing

Yeah I mean it's basically spagbol but with platano instead of ez cheese and 'cadoes instead of spag

Looks tasty.

This is the weirdest looking caldo I've ever seen.

Just shoot yourself. That'll be quicker