Knife essentials

I am getting my own place in a year or two and I'm already beginning to collect kitchenware. I was wondering if any of you have suggestions for knife block sets under or around $100 and/or a chef's knife under~ $50. Preferably a model and brand name or link. pic related is amazon basic set. i have no idea if they are any good.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Wusthof-PRO-Starter-Knife-Roll/dp/B00LDO5ASY/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1464928799&sr=8-6&keywords=wusthof pro
amazon.com/Tojiro-DP-Gyutou-8-2-21cm/dp/B000UAPQGS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1464928826&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=tojiro dp&psc=1&smid=A2BAL6XLDRWVRH
chefsarmoury.com/collections/gyuto-chefs-knife/products/takamura-octagon-210mm-gyuto
amazon.ca/Mercer-Culinary-8-Inch-Bread-Knife/dp/B000PS2XHK/ref=sr_1_466?s=kitchen-substore&ie=UTF8&qid=1465014553&sr=1-466&keywords=bread knife
amazon.ca/Chicago-Cutlery-Tradition-10-Inch-Serrated/dp/B00091SCV4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_79_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=31yrVkTVtrL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR117,160_&refRID=HN7ZGDSCX9FYW5TNP1KK
messer-machen.de/schaerfmittel/schleifsets/europaeische-schleifsets/verbessertes-einsteiger-schleifset-hart-gebunden/verbessertes-einsteiger-schleifset-hart-gebunden.html
messer-machen.de/startseite.html
amazon.com/Wusthof-Knife-Life-3-Piece-Guard/dp/B003H2RV6Y/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Just get a set with a chef's knife, pairing knife and maybe a bread knife if you see yourself using it. You won't require much more than that.

Yeah, I can accomplish most kitchen tasks witha good chef's knife, I was mire wondering about brands/models that you guys have had success with.

Chicago or Faberware block is excellent for the price. drop forged, distal taper, heat treated, etc etc. absolutely nothing with it as a starter set and I like mine better than the wusthoffs and globals i've used

forgot to mention these brands have a dogshit tier and the pretty good tier. make sure they are high carbon stainless and not obviously shitty povertyware.

basically go to Walmart and pick out one of the more expensive sets, nothing they sell in the store is over 100 for the basic knife set

There it is...

Gentlemen, start your engines.

I literally only use my chef's knife and occasionally the serrated bread knife (for bread, casseroles, or other softer things).

And the chef's knife is kept sharp with a shitty pull-through hardware store sharpener plus honing steel. So unless you're really good at your knife skills and maintenance, it really doesn't matter.

I got the Top Chef set off of Amazon and it's been pretty great for the price.

Dont buy a knife block. Its a waste and you get shit you'll never use.

If you like japanese stuff and don't rock chop a lot, get a Tojiro DP($50)

If you like german Wusthof Pros are >$30 each and are a lot better than the standard victorinox fibrox. Lot more comfortable too.

Link to Wusthof Set
amazon.com/Wusthof-PRO-Starter-Knife-Roll/dp/B00LDO5ASY/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1464928799&sr=8-6&keywords=wusthof pro

Link to Tojiro
amazon.com/Tojiro-DP-Gyutou-8-2-21cm/dp/B000UAPQGS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1464928826&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=tojiro dp&psc=1&smid=A2BAL6XLDRWVRH

Not OP, but should I get a Tojiro DP or a Victorinox santoku? They're priced similarly here (Canada) and I'm looking for something that is 0 fuss and can handle abuse, such as not cleaning blade for 24-72h, using sharpener instead of whetstone etc.

Wanted a santoku instead of a chef's knife because I like to cut straighter down and my current Hampton Forge chef's knife (garbage, I know) forces me to cut like I'm holding a motherfucking lever. I like cutting straight down.

Also, how good (or bad) are ceramics?

I should mention that I am a vegetarian so I don't need a blade for meats. Anything that can chop (onions, chillies, peppers etc) and dice veggies (tomatoes, potatoes etc) and cheeses (paneer, ricotta, feta etc) is fine.

I also wanted a bread knife but would it be a better idea to get a multi-purpose serrated blade? Or is a bread knife equivalent to those?

Talk me out of it bros
chefsarmoury.com/collections/gyuto-chefs-knife/products/takamura-octagon-210mm-gyuto

Victorinox is much more abuse-tolerant than the tojiro.

>>Ceramics
Silly. They're brittle, and they're small. And when they do get dull you will be unable to sharpen them without special equipment whereas it's very easy to sharpen a steel knife.

>>multi purpose / bread knife
Victorinox offset serrated knife is ideal.

OP here, thanks for the advice. I probably won't get a knifeblock. The Wusthof set looks nice. Maybe for my birthday this summer.

Wusthofs are excellent starter knives OP, you'll get an excellent point of reference for preferences when it comes time to get into some of the more niche/expensive points of kitchen knives

Thanks.

>Victorinox offset serrated knife is ideal.

So the expensive serrated blades are actually worth the money?

Never had a bad Sabatier knife. Make sure it's an actual Sabatier though, there's some fucked up thing with copyright and branding and stuff

I use an 8 inch and a 10 inch chef's knife for almost everything, mine are from a church garage sale. Both were made from recycled sawmill blades so they hold an edge pretty well. Chefs knife and a paring knife are really all you need to make most things.

>So the expensive serrated blades are actually worth the money?

If you eat alot of bread then yes, otherwise no.

If you get a serrated blade get one with a rounded point.

amazon.ca/Mercer-Culinary-8-Inch-Bread-Knife/dp/B000PS2XHK/ref=sr_1_466?s=kitchen-substore&ie=UTF8&qid=1465014553&sr=1-466&keywords=bread knife

Is this guy any good?

>No scalloped point

its shit,

amazon.ca/Chicago-Cutlery-Tradition-10-Inch-Serrated/dp/B00091SCV4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_79_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=31yrVkTVtrL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR117,160_&refRID=HN7ZGDSCX9FYW5TNP1KK

Get that instead I guess.

I'm probably just blind but I don't see a difference between the two at the points, although there does seem to be some sort of concavity along the blade on the one you linked to.

All you need.
Thread ended.

Another suggestion.
Get a good honing steel and if you like to take care about your stuff get this.
messer-machen.de/schaerfmittel/schleifsets/europaeische-schleifsets/verbessertes-einsteiger-schleifset-hart-gebunden/verbessertes-einsteiger-schleifset-hart-gebunden.html

It is cheap and i got some of the blunt-like-a-crowbar old kitchen-hardware catalogue knifes at my work to tomato cutting sharp in like 20 minutes of work. Really nice.
Instructions here:messer-machen.de/startseite.html
but in german ;-)

Honestly, by the time you start investing more than a few minutes into using a steel, you'd very likely have been better off sharpening the knife from scratch on waterstones.

Victorinox chef's knife, pastry knife and a paring knife are great starts.
Wuhstof if you're feeling up to the price increase are a significant improvement

I have a chinese made Sabatier paring knife that works well

is this what pitmaster privilege looks like

Cutco knives

>messer-machen.de/startseite.html
Fuck you man. My mother bought these because she can't say no too anyone and some family "friend" was working for the company. The ice cream scooper is pretty good though, all memes aside.

If you guys don't buy a block, where do you keep your knives? In a drawer? On one of those magnetic strips?

I used to use a knife block I bought for $3 at a thrift store, and now have a knife roll and a couple magnetic strips. The magnetic strips don't take up any counter space and allow you to show off your knives.

Honestly the Mac brand of knives is great. A fair price for high carbon steel blade that stays sharper longer. I found a 7 1/4" chefs knife on amazon for $60, not bad at all. There are many good choices out there, Shun is another reasonably priced brand but I'm not terribly familiar with then other than the marketing. On top of a chef's, paring, and bread knife a boning knife is extremely useful, though not quite necessary. Cheers

Magnetic strips or one of these:
amazon.com/Wusthof-Knife-Life-3-Piece-Guard/dp/B003H2RV6Y/