Hi Veeky Forums!

Hi Veeky Forums!
recently perfected my tomato based italian marinara from complete scratch.
(single serving took almost 2 hours to cook down)
it turned out perfect, however, i have had a problem adding cheeses, so i didn't put any in this batch because it always ends up clumping up at the bottom.
i've been told to just use cheese rines as a flavor enhancer, but would love to know if anyone knew a way to actually incorporate cheese into non-white sauce?
also, yes, i have googled for other options but keep getting crap.
>tl;dr cheese for italian red marinaras

op here,
to clarify, i mean cooking the sauce with the cheese, not just adding cheese.

Why would you include cheese in the sauce? Why not grate it over the finished dish or incorporate it at a different stage of the cooking process (such as in lasagna)?
I've never heared of people adding cheese to a tomato sauce.

Sorry m8, that clarification was a little too late for me.

Some cheese melt well, while others not so much. You're probably not using the right kind of cheese, or not emulsifying it correctly. Rinds do work for adding a subtle cheese flavor, but in general you don't want to admix cheese into red sauces, but top them which cheese instead.

i am trying to give the entire sauce a cheese essence.
i am familiar with what you're saying, but am attempting to achieve a next level in perfection.
i have been quite unhappy with the results.

i did have things go well with a gouda, but it really messed up the whole flavor despite blending perfectly.

is that a 'go 'na?

????

oh well, no cooks here. will delete thread soon.

Have you tried just grating in some Parmigiano-Reggiano?

first of all I really don't know why would would want to do this. a marinara doesn't really need cheese, and if the application does you can easily add it as another layer of the dish or by mixing a grateable cheese into it.

but, despite that, the only way I know of to incorporate cheese well into a sauce is to add it near the end, and once it's added to stir like a madman with a wooden spoon.

if you leave it to cook for too long, it will tend to clump, especially if you aren't agitating the sauce continuously.

I just micro plane some Parmesan into my marinara. Pretty much dissolve so the flavour is there but no big clumps of melted cheese.

alternatively if you don't mind adjusting the color of the sauce too much, you could always make a small batch of bechamel, add the cheese to that, and then add that to the marinara.

This You just keep stirring until the cheese melts but stop right before it's over-worked.

Or you could add some cream cheese if you're not that patient. It's more of a creamy effect but it might be what you're looking for.

Care to share your recipe/steps?

sure,
today i peeled and seeded two large tomatoes.
then, i proceeded to rub them through my smallest grater to make them sauce, takes roughly ten minutes.
i do the same with the onion and also galic.
2 cloves of garlic and about an eighth of an onion (medium size).
NOTE: these items will remain by themselves for the moment in a bowl after completion.
a small amount of thyme, a 1/2 tablespoon of oregano and basil each, two small shakes of dried red pepper, LOTS of ground black pepper(you can always do this part to taste), sometimes a liitle bit of garlic powder, and NO SALT.
now, for the real first step.
1/5 a stick of salted butter, a splash of red cooking wine, two splashes of white vinegar, and two splashes of olive oil go into a pan.
once the liquid is steaming add the herbs, finally add the tomato onion garlic sauce blend and theb cook down to desired thickness.
done.
as mentioned before, takes about two hours for a single serving (which is the size of the recipe i gave), but it's worth it if you like good stuff.
also, any form of noodle or bread is amazing with this.

yes, but it's too subtle
this worked one time with gouda, wrong flavor though
very interesting
I NEVER THOUGHT OF CREAM CHEESE,
perhaps...

I've added cream cheese to sauces before and the flavor has gotten lost completely.

seems like basic red sauce

thanks for the heads up
it is, but from complete scratch it is so much better than anything i can buy here in texas.

GOOD 'GO 'ZA
only had deep dish in chicago once.
it really does make pizza places down south look like some kind of cheap snack crap.

oh texas bro, stay non-drowned mkay?