Do you cut the root off of your garlic clove or do you not give a shit?

Do you cut the root off of your garlic clove or do you not give a shit?

My roommate thought I was being picky for removing it. Am I a dandy or is he a philistine?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Sr_SGkqrrdM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I would move out if I was you. The guy's obviously an idiot.

It's course and it's exposed. Leaving it on is dumb.

well normally when I need minced garlic I cut it like pic related and then cut across, stopping just before that part.

so i'unno

It's not a very soft part, why would you leave it on?

If you keep those in why dont you just toss the garlic husk in while you are at it. Hes a mongoloid.

his claim was that he never tasted any difference so he didnt see the point of the extra step which wastes a little bit of the clove. I've eaten his pasta sauce before and didn't notice anything

I usually cba to chop up the garlic unless i'm also cutting other stuff so will just by off the end and snap it in half.

Depends, sometimes the part that holds all of the cloves together can be hard and stuck on. That's the only time I cut that part off though, usually I just leave it.

i cut around 4 to 5 mm so i can plant it again

I don't because they still taste like garlic and will get soft when cooked

I'll cut it off for presentation sake but if its just for a family meal or myself I don't give a shit

>cutting garlic

You cut that bit off SO you can peel it. You don't faff about trying to peel it with it on then debate about whether you should cut it off.
People are getting hungry while you procrastinate, OP.

alton brown would be disappointed.

i cut the root off then smash the clove a little bit to peel it. not so much that it's "crushed garlic" but enough to make the peel come off easily.
just cutting the root off doesn't make it that much easier to peel, at least for me.

i cut the root off then blade crush it remove the skin and dice.

Most people I know chop it off. I dont because I dont care and I havent had a noticeable difference in the dishes i make.

this. a million times this.

fuck mincing garlic

it depends on the garlic. some types have barely any woody bullshit on the bottom compared to others so it's not worth it. usually I do though

/thread

apparantly im doing it wrong because i just squeeze it slightly in my fingers and then the peel comes off

>meme press

>Am I a dandy or is he a philistine?

Leaving the root on is fine. You're a dandy.

Just because something is edible doesn't mean you should. Shrimp tails and poop chutes, most berries seeds or stems, small fish bones are just some things I thought of

Faggots, the lot of you.

>preferring shit-tier garlic

Disgusting. I hope you really don't cook with that shit.

ew i hope you're kidding

I would honestly rather use garlic powder, I'm not kidding

Fuck you, fight me.

I would if you whipped that shit out in my kitchen

It is pretty bad tho desu

I use this too. Works great and lasts forever.

Gross.

Why? Give me three good reasons why I shouldn't use it.

Alton Brown is an OCD autistic faggot.

The fuck? Who cuts that off? Just because it's a little dryer than the rest of the clove?

Waste of damn time, get out of my kitchen.

well for one it doesn't taste like garlic to me, very chemically and much more mild

that's it really. If it were worth a damn I wouldn't mind but it doesn't taste good

Yeah, i just give the clove a little twist and the skin pops off pretty cleanly. Going to try cutting the end next time, though.

if you aren't using a "meme press" you are not a real chef. mincing garlic takes too long and it sticks to your fingers.

Then you have the wrong garlic.

I smash the cloves with the side of my blade and discard the husk. Then I chop it up as finely or coarsely as needed and I don't know if that part is left behind because I'm not autistic.

I'd totally get one of those presses that just extrudes garlic, but I just can't justify buying a tool that does one thing when I can just do the ole smash and chop and keep down the clutter.

>Filename

I dont cut garlic I use a pestle and mortar with a pinch of sea salt to help grind it up

how do you peel it then and what do you do with the root you mongoloid

So you chop garlic up before you mince it?
Do you use salt and a knife?

fuck you pond scum shitter

>Do you use salt and a knife?
I use a salt and batter (reeee)

How does cutting off the root make it easier to peel? You still have to crush it.

eugh

Your mom crushed it.

>eugh
How do you pronounce that?

I FUCKING LOVE THE TASTE OF CITRIC ACID. YUM FUCKING YUM.

If I had a nickel every time my uncle said the same thing... (it was actually my aunt but she had a dick so we called her uncle).

Lol what a shit that stuff doesn't even taste like garlic desu and wtf do you do if you want to use whole cloves for something, but more garlic lol?

Truth

>Do you use salt and a knife
This seems like a great tip, thanks user!

so is everyone else here

Incorrect. I only come here when I'm drinking. That's every few days, which is good. I typically get banned for a day or two but by the time I return, the ban is over. And yes, it is Friday, 8:56 AM and I am three sheets to the wind.

why not keep the whole skin? And add chunks of broken glass and sand in his next meal. It doesn't taste different, too.

We have a lot of autists, OCDS, and faggots.

All three in one is less common, and that's probably why he's quite liked by some here despite being justifiably detested as well

If the dish is for me I leave it, if for someone else I eat it straight away because why not

>justifiably detested
subtle barb

I take it off because it makes removing the rest of the outermost layer (shell? skin? I'm no native speaker) easier

You need to cut it off as that part won't liquidise in the pan.

Oh yes it will. Who are you fooling?

>not leaving the roots on all of your vegetables

that's what liquefied garlic strainers are for, silly

Tastes more like oil than garlic

It's hard to wash romain lettuce without chopping the bottom.

Look at this fatcat over here with access to fertile soil

I like your style, dude

I used to eat this straight from the container when I was a teen because my parents hated mincing garlic and so bought this shit.

Never could tell it was present when they added it to dishes, but it made for a tangy snack.

Nah dude, leave it on and eat it. It add flavour.

anyone use one of these?

i know it's a meme product....but i want it.

speaking off. you know how the stump gets kinda red colored when it's old? is that bad? makes me think of the red mold that my bathtub grows : /

Unitasker etc...

Like this youtube.com/watch?v=Sr_SGkqrrdM

oh like a bread knife, bottle opener, a pressure cooker, can opener (really who uses that to open a beer bottle), rice cooker, stock pot, whisk, asparagus steamer, egg cup, etc

i said i knew it was a meme product.

this whole "unitasker" thing is autistic af.

sushi mat, bread maker, pasta machine, meat grinder, strainer, oil splatter guard, ice cube tray, funnel.

Wario? On my Veeky Forums?

>user doesn't love a cluttered kitchen

I know this feel.

I tried this, did not like it.

I then bought pic related for my soup and to braise in side butternut squash in butter.

I'm satisfied wit the results, better texture than that other crap.

Why do people hate minced garlic in a jar so much? Can't tell the difference in a dish anyway.

small mince = added raw/at the end of a dish. jarred garlic doesn't have that spicy flavor.

non spicy/savory garlic is cooked throughout the meal, so no need to be finely minced.

size and flavor of jarred garlic makes no sense.

>tfw drunk every day and on Veeky Forums every day

At least drunks tend to like food. I realpost AND funpost on this board.

It tastes totally different, to me. It's pretty sweet in flavor compared to raw, which is ok in long cooked dishes but i like mine to give a bite in soup and such

>FAT FREE
But does it have gluten tho

Costco Race reporting in!
I just have a huge bag of peeled frozen garlic. It's great, because if you let it thaw for like 20 seconds it slices really super clean without sticking to everything. I don't remove the root with this, but if I am using fresh garlic, and ther is a woody root I just chuck it into the sink.

My roommate thought I was being picky for removing it.

just put salt and garlic on a cutting board and crush it to paste with pulling the back of your knife over it.

its oxidized iron

its on the end, theres no flavor in it and its just gross

listening to a sperg faggot

It's a lot faster to wash your hands than it is to clean a garlic press.

Literally none of those are unitaskers. Fuck, there are entire cookbooks with rice cooker only recipes.

>its on the end, theres no flavor in it and its just gross

>australian garlicposters

stop shitting up this board