My friend gifted me a bunch of home grown jalapeno's and I need a way to either preserve them or use them in a dish

My friend gifted me a bunch of home grown jalapeno's and I need a way to either preserve them or use them in a dish.

I plan an making some guac and pico de gallo, but I need more ideas!

Help me Obi Wan Veeky Forumsanobi, you're my only hope.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamazight
allrecipes.com/recipe/221961/quick-pickled-jalapeno-rings/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

pickle the fuckers

Pickle them.

hollow them out and use them like fleshlights.

or pickle them.

Throw a handful in a bottle of vodka.

Make some jalapeno jelly. Or some mexican green sauce. Make a fuck ton of poppers, devour them. Or you can pickel them if your an uncreative weenie.

This

cut in half the long way, remove the seeds, add cream cheese, wrap in bacon and cook in the oven for about 20 minutes until the bacon is fully cooked and crispy.

P I C K L E
I
C
K
L
E

Pickle them!

Put one or two in a pickle jar with some green beans, a few cloves of garlic, and whatever other spices or herbs you want. String bean are FAR AND AWAY the best vegetable to pickle, and they will love the heat provided by your peppers.

I've had jalapeno infused vodka before.

It's actually not bad.

Except for the part that makes me want to eat a whole fucking burrito after every shot.

Candied jalapenos. Look that shit up. Dank as fug.

Pickled it is then!

Luckily, I had the basic ingredients at hand.

Vinegar, sugar, and garlic.

I sliced and seeded the peppers, carrots, and bell peppers...

Combined the liquids and brought to a slow simmer....

yay it's a cookalong thread

Oops, wrong pic. This was a reduction from a corned beef I did in the crock pot...But, you get the point.

I put everything in the jar and covered it with the simmering liquid.

The recipe I read said to let it cool before capping and refrigerating, So, I'll drink a glass of wine before heading off to bed...

Forgot the pic...

And salt!

I think that goes without saying.

Does anyone not have some salt in their kitchen?

>jalapeno's

And it looks like you've used them up already. For next time:
I'm gonna go down a different track here and suggest that you blanch and shock future ones you may be gifted then dry them out. That way, you can make green chili powder, which I've never seen for sale anywhere so I make it myself.
I also make yellow chili powder.

The easiest way to dry them is to set them in a bowl in the fridge, uncovered, after blanching/shocking and just leave them alone for a while.
Alternately, if you allow them to ripen, you can smoke them. They're quite nice smoked with pecan wood. That's how chipotles are made.

Other options:
• freeze for future use
• fermented hot sauce
• hollow out smaller ones, stuff with a mix of cream cheese and shredded cheddar, encase in beef mince, cook in a smoker and glaze with barbecue sauce; each one should be only large enough to eat in three bites or fewer, even with the beef around it
• hollow them out, put them on your fingers and pretend you're a hot-and-spicy witch
• matchstick a few red and green to use in making escovitch
• make something I made up that I call 'mfefil' which means "with many chillies." shred or mince up 'peños and some garlic, mix them with lots of freshly powdered cumin and mix this into some lamb or mutton mince then add cornstarch and form balls, fry briefly, remove, make a quick roux-thickened tomato sauce and poach the meatballs in it. Serve with couscous.

WTF? "mfelil"? Is that Middle English or Klingon?

Lovely peppers, friend

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamazight

Not that user, but I'm glad you shared this. Always good to learn new things

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamazight

themoreyouknow.jpg

Thank you. I just tried one and it about blew my head off. Gonna let them mellow in the fridge for a few days before I try that again.

Heh, did you test them for spice first? I'd be interested to see how much they mellow out, though come to think of it, I've pickled peppers before, just of a different variety.

Mine were most tasty after probably a week or more, but even then they didn't get much less hot iirc

>Heh, did you test them for spice first?

Nope. What would be the point? They're home grown jalapenos, and I knew they would be way hotter than store bought. I'm not saying it was a bad thing, they're just hot AF.

If, after three or four days, they're still that hot, I may replace the brine to see if that will down them down.

Or, maybe not.

>dat kosher salt
Oy vey

>eat that last pickle that's been sitting in the jar at the back of the fridge
>slice up jalapenos into rings
>put sliced jalapeno rings into jar of pickle brine

are you some kind of retard who doesn't know how awesome the texture of kosher salt is?

are you seriously eating salt for its texture alone?

>cooking with anything other than kosher salt

Do you even food?

Hot water bath can them in vinegar.

fuck me and I thought this was not /b/

There's always going to be underage anons posting off topic /pol/ shit in every board.

If you have the equipment you can smoke them and dry them out into chipotle peppers.

>kosher salt

use it to make curtido

allrecipes.com/recipe/221961/quick-pickled-jalapeno-rings/

OP here, that's basically the same recipe that I used.

I tried to pickle ginger once and fucked it up royally. Is pickling other things easier?

Don't know. This is my first pickling experiment.