Meatballs

I was watching Goodfellas and I started thinking, how do I make truly great spaghetti & meatballs?

Other urls found in this thread:

shortlist.com/food-drink/how-to-make-the-prison-feast-from-goodfellas
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>pork, you gotta have pork. that's the flavor.

ya make some balls of meat and cook 'em in sauce and boil some spagett and bam shpagett meatball

don't put too much onions in the sauce though.

shortlist.com/food-drink/how-to-make-the-prison-feast-from-goodfellas

>rapeseed oil

stopped reading right there

An I-tal-ian place by me serves a giant meatball with their spa-ghet-i.

It's been steeped in their marinara, but it kind of has the consistency of meatloaf.

Pretty god damned tasty though...

AKA Canola Oil.

Get out more....

canola oil is fucking terrible shit

Funny, because it's called "rapeseed" in various different places.

LRN2Geography, senpai.

I'm saying no matter what it's called, it's disgusting and unhealthy

You gotta slice the garlic thin with a razor blade. It literally liquifies in the pan.

Get yourself one of these to slice the garlic.

It actually is healthy for you. My friend had a cough. He took Canola oil. Two days later - still alive.

>I was watching Goodfellas and I started thinking, how do I make truly great spaghetti & meatballs?
Delicious ragu/meat sauce, is indeed simmered a long time because the bones take a while to give up their luscious gelatin, so when you want to make meat sauce when you have meatballs, you use that ragu sauce you premade the day before like any good restaurant, OR you create a near perfect version with the flavoring in your meatballs which you brown (and then deglaze into the sauce)!

Meatballs are most delicious with the meatloaf treatment, ie three meats, so 30/30/30 veal, pork and beef. If you omit the veal, replace with beef of course (not turkey). Some people use italian sausage instead of pork, because it's preseasoned with the fennel and has a high fat content. Like meatloaf, season the meat with basic breadcrumbs to which you add fresh parsley, italian seasoning, parm/romano, diced onion, mushroom and garlic. Feel free to add fresh or dried oregano/basil, salt, pepper. Your call to add more vegs like zucchini grated, carrot or celery. Splash of milk to soften the crumbs and a raw egg per 1-1.5llbs of meat. Form into loosely packed, not overworked meatballs of your favorite size. I like about 1inch, but you can go up to 2-3 inches depending how long you want to simmer the things. Some people roll in breadcrumbs to finish, but I don't.

Brown in large stockpot on all sides, finish in oven if you wish crisper outsides, or set aside. Ladle out any excessive rendered fat (not much if you use pork vs sausage). A half can of tomato paste can be combined with drippings and crusty bits, working up the bits. Add a splash of wine to deglaze or some grappa. Add large can of low sodium crushed tomatoes in puree, garlic, parsley, italian seasoning. Simmer as much as you want since you used low sodium it won't get too salty. Add the meatballs back in to further flavor them and the sauce, or keep them separated for crisper outsides.

nonnas recipe,
>1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
>250g pork
>250g beef
>.5 cup parmesan cheese
>chopped parsley
>crushed garlic
>an egg
>salt and pepper
mix it all up and put it in your sauce in the last 15 or so minutes of cooking, depending on how thick they are
also, the sauce should be simmering for about 45 minutes to an hour before this, it wants to be thick so it sticks to the pasta

you put the meatballs raw in the suggo or you fry them a bit before to brown them?

>gun in underpants was my Mom's secret for her world famous 'sta and meatballs

>breadcrumbs

stopped reading
closed browser
emptied recycle bin
taking a shower

i think browning them gives a better texture. then when you're done browning you can deglaze the pan with some wine and pour that wine/oil/meat particle mix into the sauce.

Thank you for not shitposting. This thread was going downhill fast

posts like this are why I come to Veeky Forums

i put them straight in since i like the soft texture, but some people might like a firmer outside
just dont dry them out

I didn't put too much. I only put like 3 onions. 3 of them

I've got The Sopranos cookbook here. I can type up the "Marinara Sauce" or "Sunday Gravy (with meatballs)" recipes if somebody wants.

My roommate looks exactly like steve schirripa

How do I make them retain a round shape when frying instead of baking?

make it the old timey greasy guido italian wop way which is to steal the pasta and meat and tomatoes and have sex with your greasy greasy grandma to get her seekrit spagetti recipie lmao :D

I start with a hot pan+oil and roll them around for two minutes ; at least enough to establish a good sear so they retain their form. having a gas stove helps so you can hold the pan above the flame when rolling.

Do you make large ones and only do one at a time? Wouldn't they bump into each other and smash?

mine are usually 3/4-1" in diameter and can cook 16 comfortably in an 11" frying pan.

because they're all rolling the same direction, they space themselves out. same principle as this gif.

I drop them into a stock pot of boiling broth.
Once they float, they're cooked just enough to retain their shape in the oven.

>Garlic
>Not Gowlic