Are dollar steaks worth it?

Are dollar steaks worth it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0Rqs5siPalo
youtube.com/watch?v=MSVXvEhSccI
youtube.com/watch?v=J0zySGE82HY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I remember years back some user posted pictures of him cooking it.

It did not end well as I remember it.

No

If you have to ask...

They are fine for shit like stir Fry's n shit, pretty poverty on their own

looks like the type of steak served by all the local mexican places

makes sense why my diarrhea only costs $4

There are a couple of taste-test videos, one was a soccer mom who actually said it was pretty good and one was some manchild who just said EEEEWWWW IT'S SALTY

It's probably edible and could even be decent if you know how to cook it, based on pictures I've seen it just seems like there's 90% connective tissue and like one bite of actual steak

Those stripes look painted on.

iirc, there's a YouTube video about the dollar steak. It is literally all fat and as thin as roast beef only he said the taste was terrible

youtube.com/watch?v=0Rqs5siPalo

This lady is pretty excited about them, must be good.

>could even be decent if you know how to cook
> seems like there's 90% connective tissue and like one bite of actual steak

How do you reconcile that autism, dipshit

>Are dollar steaks worth it?

it's a freakin' steak, for a freakin' dollar... what's not worth it?

>makes sense why my diarrhea only costs $4

oh god.. i just snorted a piece of ice out my nose

magic marker?

How can a steak not be a steak

It's true, I bought a few of them before with the intent of making fajitas on a budget. They're tiny, full of fat and connective tissue, and thin as fuck. They don't taste bad, per se, but they definitely taste like cheap meat.

You're better off just biting the bullet and paying for an actual steak from a regular grocer.

I found this cringe in my search for a 1$ steak review

youtube.com/watch?v=MSVXvEhSccI

be ready to cringe

Poorfag/thriftfag here
Dollar store doesn't inherently mean bad. Some items in stock are actually pretty decent quality, and end up as a pretty good deal.
Some items are totally shit, and you should avoid them regardless of price (like their "American slices" or "pizza shreds", because they're legally not sliced or shredded cheese)
Some things might be of a decent quality, or not, but are sold in such packaging that their unit price makes them horrible deals.
As I understand it, the meat, even steaks, isn't really that bad. Not gourmet, edible, but sold in like 3oz packages for a dollar. I won't do the quick math to figure the unit price for a pound, but suffice it to say, you can get a better product cheaper somewhere else.

When you look at the price of an item, one dollar never seems unreasonable, but when you count how many items (and thus dollars) you're getting (and paying) at the end once it's all on the conveyor, I have a tendency to ditch a lot of my items because with perspective, the trick wears off.

I was thinking about doing this for the gains, but I have a feeling that this shit is terrible for you. It's probably full of the ghettoest hormones and shit.

go for chicken and fish for gains

>uneven char lines that were very obviously painted on

I guess not all food stylists are worth their fee.

Oh god that voice, that is the voice of an autist

>smoke alarm actually going off
nigga wut

that voice

just end my life senpai

I know what you mean about the price per $ being shit.

I see poorfags buying 1 liter of soda when normalfag grocery stores sometimes have pepsi or coke for $1

There's a lot of stuff you can do with cheap ass steak besides eating it straight up. It's great in chili, stews, soups and stir-frys, or as taco filling

I had a $1.99 steak w/ some mashed potatoes and green beans at the california in vegas. its was bretty gud.

7/10 Id eat it again.

Just go to Taco Bell.

youtube.com/watch?v=J0zySGE82HY

That $1 steak can be used for a lot more though. For $1.09 I can get one burrito from Taco Bell. For $1.07 I get that steak I can split up between three of my tortillas I already have.

what sort of autiste thinks banquet shitmeals need reviews?

In my experience, no. With the amount of meat your getting for the price, you're better off getting some burger patties.

Also, most of that shit is literally glued together from scrap pieces.

3.5 oz steak
1.5 oz is brine

so they're getting 1 buck per 2 oz or so, 8 dollars a lb. dollar tree cut is prob 20%, so packager is getting 6.40/lb. considering it's probably utility grade beef and they're probably the meat packer, they probably get their beef on the hoof, so probably cost them 2-3/lb.

that's just how god put those animals together

So you only put one ounce of steak in each burrito? What type of Sadness Food are you making?

His fat hands are almost as big as the container. What the hell? I have big hands but they don't look like I'm wearing flesh mittens.

Well, if you braise or slow-cook it, and use it in a recipe, even pure connective tissue could be good, Nigga. But you're kind of right, a steak is a steak, you don't buy a steak to make a braised or slow-cook recipe, or for connective tissues.

Jesus, assuming they have halfway decent margins whoever makes these "steaks" has to produce them for less than a quarter.

Now let's just assume they make it for exactly a quarter. Google tells me that these steaks are 3.5 ounces. Google also tells me that an adult steer yields about 430 pounds of cuts that can be called "steak". This would mean that a cow produces 6880 ounces, or 1908 of these 3.5 ounce steaks. Going under our assumption that they make 75 cents for every steak they sell, that would mean the purchase of one cow makes them 1431 dollars. But, that's assuming they got the cow for free which they didn't, and a cow of that size is worth 900 dollars approximately, meaning they only netted 531 dollars per cow BEFORE paying the wages of the massive amounts of employees and cost of infastructure needed to mass produce these $1 steaks.

Conclusion, there's no way these steaks are made of cow.

>Buying steak from Dollar Tree
> Paying only $1 for a steak

Christ, not even fucking once.

It's old meat that didn't sell sliced thinly and repackaged. There is no mystery, here.

A few of the videos reviewing them say that most of the meat was gray and they had to dig through the freezer just to get one that looked fresh.

Kudos on the needless calculations, though. I'm sure someone out there is impressed.

>getting intimidated and defensive because someone "took the time" to present simple arithmetic
I bet if books came in condensed green text form you would take to reading.

It's not our fault you don't understand how food works. Not every part of the cow is worth the same amount, these are the parts that aren't worth much.

Okay here's your steak user. Eat up.

I bought these once to give to my dog while I grilled actual steaks. I tasted a piece of course. It was bad. Very bad

I bet I read more books a year than you have in your lifetime.

Reading has nothing to do with your very specious arithmetic which assumes, at every step, way too much to be of any use at all, by the way.

1. There is more than one person on Veeky Forums.
2. State your own opinion instead of hiding behind others (e.g.: "It's not our fault...").
3. Use proper punctuation when attempting to articulate your sophomoric ideas to adults.

So you literally have no argument. Thanks for sharing.

>Getting ingredients for a full meal at Dollar Tree
>Warming steak in the microwave
>Steak looks water-fed as fuck
>Having a kid taste-test

This is so fucking flyover

tfw you try to make a funny post about the hypothetical cost of these steaks and accidentally derail the thread into fighting.

me on the right this thread on the left

The slaughterhouse ships them to China to have dirt-poor workers draws those marks with markers and then ship it back to U.S. for sale.

Flyover people would actually know a thing or two about proper steaks since they raise them.

Sorry to inform you sir, but I have cooked $1 steaks before and they come out to about one taco worth of meat.

This is late-stage, debilitating autism.

>hurr durr i'm from new york city i know about meat lol

So shit.

>I bet I read more books a year than you have in your lifetime.
I read hundreds of papers a year on top of probably 40-50 books.

I live in a flyover state, and my city is known around the world for the quality of our steaks.

Omaha?

>Be sure to stop into CRAZY JOES for our WORLD FAMOUS FRIES AND BARBEQUE SAUCE

Sorry user, but unless you have a steak place with a michelin star, silver in the county fair doesn't make you world class : ^)

>implying a car company knows shit about steak

Sorry, I couldn't hear you over the sound of our world class meat.

I bet you think that's a lot.

Very sad. What a shame.

They are more known for their distribution and marketing not quality.

What is so special about their meat? It's standard American beef full of all the shit that allows the producers to maximize their profit at the expense of small thing like antibiotic resistance, animal welfare, and taste.

epic post man well memed xd

I had to cut down on my leisure reading the last couple years because of my PhD thesis and a baby, so I have only about 30-45 min a night to read of I'm lucky.

Should I? Sounds pretty good.

LITERALLY falling for the Omaha meme

This

It's not much of a deal. You could get almost 65 steaks for that price elsewhere.

Where is this magic place that sells steaks for a dollar?

If only dollar steaks grew on a magic tree... a dollar tree, if you will.

Nice.

>all-beef meatballs
meatballs made with a mixture of meat can taste better

>boneless chicken breasts, pork chops
not anything special

>potatoes
filler

>$200 now only $65!
they probably marked it up to make it seem like a huge discount

Christ, that (dis)coloration.

Bullshit. Unless they are cattle workers or butchers, flyovers don't know a quality steak from a cucksteak.

Aww, you buttmad lil flyover man?

That doesn't mean the average trailer dweller knows quality or is willing/able to pay for it.

>I live in city X so I'm better
This is the exact kind of provincial attitude one would expect from small town folk.

It is funny how people genuinely believe that where they grew up/live is the best place without considering the psychological reasons behind this biased thinking.

>This is the exact kind of provincial attitude one would expect from small town folk.
>New Yorkers are known for being the most territorial and vain people in all of existence

Where the fuck did I ever say what city I lived in?

Small town people are worse...much worse. Cliquey, judgemental, arrogant and small-minded. Grew up in a small town, you can take it to the bank.

God forbid people have some pride about their hometown. I can see why NYC residents wouldn't though. I'd be ashamed too.

>God forbid people have some pride about their hometown
Having pride in a place that you just happened to be born in is a little absurd.

I can see fondness and nostalgia, but pride is a bit much. It's like following the religion you were raised in and thinking it is the "true faith" without any irony.

mfw I remember this thread was about $1 steaks

>raised in a liberal democracy
>believes human rights, universal suffrage and rule of law are good values without any irony
wew lad

Those grill marks look like drawn on eyebrows.

Except these same people haven't done shit or been anywhere outside their county. They have no reason to be so pompous.

>It's like following the religion you were raised in and thinking it is the "true faith" without any irony.

So if someone got told something is true every day of their life for 25+ years you would fault them for sincerely believing it?

Yes, I would. Unless the education was disgustingly poor or the person in question dropped out of school at a young age.

>Being proud to be from Pisswater, Nowhere instead of the city that has literally everything.

wew lad.

No one is ashamed to be from NYC. Plenty of people are, however, shamed to be from Cuck's Corners in Who Gives A Fuck County.

>Luigi!
>I UH NEED-A SOME-A DA PASTAAAA
>Mario!
>I don't know what to tell you, I already told you you already ate all the pasta
>No, Luigi, you get me some more GOD DAMN PASTA, I told you once Luigi, IT'S-A-ME MARIO

Good thread.

Marketing

Why be proud of being from a city though?

Everyone I know that is ecstatic about being from city ____ usually says it is great because of the culture, 4 star restaurants, etc.

How many times do you go to museums? See plays or musicals? Go to a concert? Actually go to an expensive, good restaurant IRL?

Oh, you can buy lots of stuff in New York. Guess what, you can do that in virtually any city over 1-2 million people in the world.

My life doesn't revolve around consumerism and my interests go beyond what you can find in a city, especially New York.

This kind of thinking is probably a result of being insulated in your city and not actually traveling around the world.

I think you're underestimating psychology. People who get raised from birth to believe something just can't shed that so easily.

>So if someone got told something is true every day of their life for 25+ years you would fault them for sincerely believing it?
Absolutely. What is the point of education and critical thinking, the pinnacle of human evolution, if you don't question your own belief system?

This isn't to say you must reject or rebel against them, but you should at least question. It may even result in a stronger faith.

There is a reason nutbar Muslims kill themselves for their religion and think it is #1... and it isn't because they thought it through soberly and intellectually.

>2016
>buying old steakmeat
>at dollar tree

nigga are you crazy?

that looks like baby shit with worms stuffed into taco shells

are those hashbrowns in those tacos
looks pretty good desu

Fair point there is other things to put on a taco than meat

>actually believing flyovers would sell you their best steaks, ever.
I bet you've had "Kobe" beef as well.
Hahaha.