Dining alone? do you?

Do you ever visit restaurants alone?
Most restaurants are really hostile against loners asking for a table for one. :(

Wtf, should we singles avoid restaurants and eat at home? I wanna eat good food and drink a bottle of good wine, sitting at my table for one and enjoying my fine dining ffs.

No respectable dining establishment is going to turn away a customer because he or she is alone. The only type of restaurant I would never go to alone would be a more up-scale, classier kind of place frequented by families. If it's more of a casual or bar & grill type place, no one gives a fuck. Especially is you sat at the bar and eat.

Meant to say couples, not families.

I don't have anything to say but I think it is funny that you are reading this sentence. You're still reading this sentence. Hahaha...

I have literally never been to a restaurant that was hostile towards seating me by myself in my entire life.

eat at the bar. the table alone is troublesome.

At Waffle House like 90% of the diners are eating alone.

I don't get turned away from restaurants, I eat more then most couples. I usually buy the biggest most expensive shit and another to take out.

So I guess if you're a scrawny lil female looking type, they just hate you for coming in and eating a 7 dollar salad with water.

>Most restaurants are really hostile against loners asking for a table for one.
What are you talking about? I've eaten by myself at countless restaurants, both casual and high end, and I've never had any problem.

must be a EU thing during busy hours...

also BETA cringe as fuck.

Restaurants are shit the majority of the time, so no, I don't dine alone.

now listen here u little shit

i dine alone now and then, its the only time im truly away from everyone else and can focus on my own projects gaurenteed of interruption
since i usually go in the evening-night the place is pretty spacious, and my usual go to place recognizes me by now with open arms

Eating alone is fine. I go out to eat alone every Friday when my wife is out with her book club.

Even if it's an upscale place with mostly couples, it's not too weird. Her book club meetings are usually in the part of town with all the hotels and nice restaurants, so often I'll just go to one of those places and nobody seems to care.

>Do you ever visit restaurants alone?

Before I became a single parent/domestic slave, hell yes, I'd go out, "Table for one." I've gone on vacations alone. Why should I not have done so?

>her book club

I don't often eat out.

When I do, it's 50/50 whether I'm with someone else or on my own. I don't give a fuck, I just want to fucking sit down at a table, peruse a menu, and eat some good food cooked for me by someone else.
I make sure to tip well and not be a cheapskate and not leave a mess, so they'll remember me for next time. However, I suspect my visits to places have longer gaps than their staff turnover.

Eating alone at a restaurant trumps McDs any day, though, but McDs is still the option of last resort should all else fail.
It's edible, and their reputation can't afford for me to get the shits from it, and that's really what matters at the end of the day.

I can do it for breakfast and lunch in some places, but it varies.

Try eating at the bar instead if they have one. Or you could just say you're meeting someone then pretend to get stood up kek

Yeah it sucks. Same with cinemas here. I can't even buy one serving of crab legs since the cinemas only sell two servings minimum.

>I've gone on vacations alone.
Fucking this. It's so relaxing. The entire reason I needed a vacation in the first place was to get away from the people in my life. Going someplace new and not having to give a fuck about what someone else wants is a good feeling.

I cook at a restaurant and after work I usually either just eat at work or (more often) go to a different restaurant near by and eat there by myself. But other than that, not really.

I dine alone every so often.

I've gotten better treatment than when I'm with friends or family.

It seems that I always get a young, cute waitress and she's always willing to talk about the school she's going to.

I typically order a few drinks, though, so at least the waitress knows there's going to be a decent bill, which means decent tip.

If you're needy, and order a burger and water, I can understand a bit of coldness from the wait staff.

Where do you go, though?

There's not many vacations spots I really want to go to where I would feel comfortable going alone.

I prefer places where the US dollar goes far, like China, Poland, and Mexico, but I go with groups.

>Where do you go, though?
I don't go to 'vacation spots'. Last year, I took a road trip around northern england, because I live in southern england. I booked a series of BnBs and hotels, wandered around a bit, explored, took pictures, wandered some more.
I managed to hit up an aircraft museum with some interesting and rare stuff, went to the seaside for some god-tier fish and chiips, wandered around genuine authentic english countryside tourist spots, went to the zoo, and fled for home when the weather turned on me.
I also discovered the phrase 'yorkshire portions', which means they pile as much stuff on the plate as American diners do. A gammon steak turned out to be the size of a decent pizza.
I like driving, I like wandering, and I like exploring places. I'm planning similar this year.

That sounds swell
Stuff like that is the main reason I want to get a driver's license

He's talking about restaurants, not feed troughs.

I eat at restaurants alone, I go to movies alone, I have gone on vacations alone. Every single one of those things has been a superior experience for it. If you feel awkward being your own company, you may have a problem.

Remember that Simpsons where Comic Book Guy is about to get hit by a missile or something and he's all, "I have wasted my life"? That is in your future.

The only time I've eaten alone in public was at an airport and I saw people looking at me, made me very uncomfortable... This was in the UK btw. Never again.

But like wtf.

Doing these things alone, and with people, are not mutually exclusive activities, you realize.

Do you not have friends or family?

I mean, eat out if you want or is convenient, but I don't see the point of eating out alone when you can prepare your own food.

dont have to prepare the food.

Eat at the bar then.

But that's fun.

And gives me an excuse to drink.

Now that I think about it, most household chores give me an excuse to drink.

I get drunk before I clean the litter box.

I get drunk if I'm going to vacuum.

I definitely get drunk if I'm cleaning the bathroom.

this. restaurants that have bar seating never the less always sat me at a table as well. Which is fucking obvious to anyone because if I sat at the bar my tip would be going to the barkeeper and not them.

I see your mistake friend. This is Veeky Forums a board concerned with food and cooking whereas you seemed to have wanted to visit /a/. Kindly let me provide a link so can get back to your own type.

I used to when money was cheaper than time to me. Now time is cheaper and that's what I use.

Thats how i am. I drink just enough rum to make house cleaning or yard work entertaining. I get amped n start detailing everything with a toothbrush. Just did my toilet, sink and counter. About to do my shower.
Drunk enough to know what im doing but drunk enough to not care.
I get why houswives are alkies or pill poppers.

>Drunk enough to know what im doing but drunk enough to not care.
This, pretty much.

i don't get the hangups of going to a restaurant alone

i'm not even single and i eat out alone once or twice a week

it's wonderful

Please stay in your containment board

OP stop being a fucking pussy. No-one gives a shit if you're eating alone as long as you're not some creepy fuck that looks like he's going to shoot up the place.

Take a book and read.

I'd rather do that than go eat with someone else.

If they have a counter, sit at the counter.

A few months ago I went to one restaurant in a nearby town for the first time ever. I took with me a clipboard with some fairly challenging math problems to work for fun.

When I walked in, the waitress took one look at me and thought I was the health inspector.

The next time I went in, I had the clip board and a magazine. That time, the waitress (different from the first time) thought I was a salesman.

Try it sometime.

By the way, I mentioned it to one woman who owned a restaurant for years. She said that she always tell her employees that if anyone walks in with a clipboard to get busy cleaning and stay busy.

This, seriously. Pretty nice deal.

>her getting plowed club

no restaurants aren't hostile to singles, they're hostile to oblivious idiots who want to hog a table meant for two or more instead of sitting at the fucking bar like a normal person

The bar seats aren't as comfy and it isn't as secluded. I'm not eating alone because I want to bump elbows with strangers and listen to them talk all evening.

I want to have a nice meal in a nice place, I'm paying good money and if they don't have tables for one that's not my problem.

I find bar seats are equally as comfortable or more comfortable at most places and the bar usually isn't that crowded you can easily sit and have a free seat on each side which is plenty of elbow room, but whatevs man

Truth. Learning to overcome my fear of being alone helped me learn how insecure I was with myself and really helped me cultivate an actual personality.

I used to go to one Chinese restaurant that had small tables with 2 chairs along a half wall. Immediately on the other side of the half wall was the smoking section. If you sat in one of those small tables and anyone was smoking in the smoking section, it was going to get to you.

I learned when walking in to start off following whoever was taking me to my seat but as soon as I would see that they were leading me to one of those tables next to the smoking section, I would veer off and find my own table.

Often, the table I took was the biggest table in the restaurant which was the furtherest from the smoking section. They would keep it available for larger groups so usually it was empty.

I was quite prepared to walk out if they insisted that I sit in one of the tables right next to the smoking section, but they never pushed the issue.

If there is a new restaurant that I want to try (or an older one that I haven't eaten at yet), I'll go alone. But, I won't go at rush hour, like a Friday night at 7:00. I have found that if I go at, say, 5:00 on a Monday, and the place is dead, I will get exceptional service. I can quiz the wait staff about the menu and they're not in a rush to wait on another table, so they have time to make honest recommendations. Believe it or not, but this is how one becomes a "regular" with all the perks that it entails.

Only pussy assed elitists with separation anxiety would refuse to dine alone.

That's great advice.

I rarely go to lunch during the lunch hour. My preference for any place that is open all afternoon is about 3 pm.

There is an exception. On those rare occasions when I go to a buffet, I will not go to a buffet in the middle of the afternoon. I try to get there shortly after they set out the buffet so that the food is still relatively fresh.

One of my favorite places to eat around here is a drug store lunch counter. It's pretty quiet and they have surprisingly good food for their prices. For example, last Friday I got a chicken fried steak (the Friday special) for $5.75 and the chicken fried steak was not much different than at my favorite place in the area for chicken fried steak which was two blocks away and cost twice as much. Admittedly, the restaurant two blocks away serves a better salad, but not really enough to make up the difference.

Had a good laugh, thanks user

>must be a EU thing during busy hours...

I'm European and...nope. Never had a problem.

>also BETA cringe as fuck.

Pssst: some people have jobs that require them to travel.

same here user. my wife is always really tired after i pick her up from book club and they must have some really good debates because she is always very disheveled.

kek

>Even if it's an upscale place with mostly couples, it's not too weird. Her book club meetings are usually in the part of town with all the hotels and nice restaurants, so often I'll just go to one of those places and nobody seems to care.

The technical term for when a husband joins in at the book club is "threesome". The next time she goes to book club, ask if you can go along and make it a threesome.