I saw this shit in a Whole Foods in NYC, and what the fuck. This is 11 dollars for a bottle the side of my palm

I saw this shit in a Whole Foods in NYC, and what the fuck. This is 11 dollars for a bottle the side of my palm

AND NOT ONLY THAT...

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2,4-Dithiapentane
delectations.org
twitter.com/AnonBabble

THE INGREDIENTS ARE JUST OLIVE OIL, and "FLAVORING"

Is this a fucking scam?

>product of Italy
>imported by: Italian Products USA
kek

How much is it? Seems fishy with just "flavoring."

>Is this a fucking scam?

basically every product you buy is a scam

those mean 2 different things dumbass

can you fucking read?

I know. But still, the firm that imports can tell you a bit about quality of the product.

>Is this a fucking scam?

Seems like it. From their website:

>This velvety and luxurious oil is made with the aroma of the highest quality black truffles and is a perfect match for bringing all your foods to the next level of gourmet. When infused into a traditional olive oil from Tuscany, the essence of these truffles is captured in a perfect symbiosis ideally suited to enhance the taste of main dishes, appetizers and garnishes.

I don't know how they pretend to infuse "the aroma" of the truffels, but it sounds like so much horseshit.

Most truffle oils are not made from truffles, but are other oils infused with a synthetic compound found in truffles that mimics their taste. it ain't half bad but real truffle oil (if they even make it?) would be INSANELY expensive. Truffles themselves before having oil extracted out of them are $60 an ounce, what makes anyone think they could get that quantity of "real" truffle oil for less than hundreds of dollars?

Italian Products Srl was established in Bologna in 1994 by developer Stefano Frascari as a way to share some culinary delicacies with his friends in New York. The company expanded from a casual idea to a lifeline for several small, artisanal manufacturers around Italy, wanting to sell their products in the U.S. In the year 2000, Italian Products USA, Inc. opened offices and a warehouse in New Jersey, to more efficiently serve its nationwide customers.

15 years after its founding, Italian Products USA has developed an important presence in the gourmet market around North America. Customers range from large foodservice distributors to retail chains as well as independent gourmet markets. For all customers, programs include sourcing and product development, private labels and distribution along with sales support, training and travel projects. Our consulting services include training, B2B projects, label design, FDA regulations, product compliance and much more. Each project is built on spec, so just ask and we will provide.

"flavouring" is the truffles

because you'd only need like a fraction of it to add aroma. the majority of it is olive oil.

Even worse that flavoring isn't even food. I don't know if it's bad for you though.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2,4-Dithiapentane

fine, but I think OP is confused because most olive oils are made from 100% olives and canola oil is 100% rapeseed and assumed that "truffle oil" would follow suit, not be "truffle infused olive oil"

I don't think you guys are properly reading between the lines. They say they use "the aroma" of the truffles and infuse it with olive oil. If they used actual truffel parts in the oil in order to make the product, they'd surely say so, as that would bolster its value/quality.

Instead, they say they infuse "the aroma" of truffles, which very blatantly suggests some weird hokum that's not on the up-and-up. Personally, I think the "flavoring" is merely putting an open vat by a bunch of truffles for a while so they can claim that "the aroma" infused the oil.

>Nevertheless, so intense and pervasive is the aroma that for a while, a walnut size winter black truffle will perfume a room, while a similar size winter white truffle will perfume an entire apartment! - delectations.org

Once you see olive oil alone as an ingredient, it's a scam! SCAM! It's for sure pomace shit tier oil.

>Black Truffle Oil
>Product of Italy
>picture of Italian farm
It's misleading, so yeah I would say it's a scam. Nobody would buy it if they showed pictures of an industrial factory, and it was labeled "truffle flavored olive oil".

This is why when I'm not buying regular foods like beans/eggs/vegetables/butter/whatever, I always read the ingredient list and look over it carefully before purchasing.

If the olive oil was really that good, they wouldn't be flavoring it.

>there are people wasting oxygen RIGHT NOW who thought "truffle oil" was a fancy rare ingredient containing actual truffles

Most olive oil is not 100% olive oil it's usually a mix between canola and olive oil

yes, thats a scam. find better oil.

you are supposed to put a tiny bit of truffle into an oil to soak up the flavors.

thanks mafia

OP you're asking the wrong question

The real question is not whether it's a scam or not, that doesn't matter

The most essential question of Veeky Forums is:
Is it a meme?
Are you being meme'd?
Is olive oil a meme?
Is Italy a meme?
Can you make 'live 'il 'go 'za?

If you have to ask...

I rage'd a little. Well done.

>real truffle oil would be INSANELY expensive

truffle oil made from white truffles costs ~15€ per 100ml.

Stupid americunts should stick to arguing about which fast food chain currently sells the greasiest novelty item

>NYC

Found your problem.

>Truffle oilis used as a lower-cost and convenient substitute for truffles, to provide flavoring, or to enhance the flavor and aroma of truffles in cooking. Most "truffle oil", however, does not contain any truffles.[39]The vast majority isolive oilwhich has been artificially flavoured using a synthetic agent such as2,4-dithiapentane.[39]

>Truffles themselves before having oil extracted out of them are $60 an ounce
they're really not. I'm sure you could find someone to sell you them for that much, but I've seen them for $120 a lb in the grocery store and doubt that's as cheap as they come.

>Is this a fucking scam?
Olive oil is expensive
Black truffles are expensive

…so, could be only expensive, but not a scam, but I am too lazy to look up prices for other truffle oils.

>Even worse that flavoring isn't even food.
What constitutes 'food'?
The wiki page clearly states that 2,4-dithiapentane contributes heavily to the natural flavour of truffles - so it is clearly an important part of something that would be considered food.
Is vanillin (principal aroma compound of vanilla) not food either, then? If not, what is it then?

>AND NOT ONLY THAT
wow, impressive way to get people to click on your thread. You should do articles for buzzfeed. Anyway here's a (you) for your meme oil.

The outrage. Well, demand to speak to a manager and convince him that he needs to gibsudat for nothing.

Also here, I bought some truffle infused oil, with what I think is actual black truffle for 1.29 bongbux, which is what, roughly $2? Yes it's a scam.

We use that brands White truffle oil at my work.

It's a fucking meme ingredient and doesn't change the overall flavor of the dish when compared to regular olive oil.

It also costs a retarded amount more.

This, so glad I left

truffle oil is a scam

google it