Going to make beef stew tomorrow

Going to make beef stew tomorrow.

Should I slow cook over the stove or use my pressure cooker? Which is better?

it depends are you a complete fggt or do you want good stew?

I want good stew user.

slow

Use a dutch oven and cook it in the oven. About three or four hours at like 325 is what I normally do.

fuck dude now I want stew. I use my dutch oven for pretty much everything. what's your basic recipe? do you make your own stock or use one of the ones they sell at the store?

what's the best store bought beef stock?

I was also thinking this. Dutch oven in an oven, but what time do you add the root vegetables? When do you add the things like celery or leek?

only because you asked nicely, I will tell you the difference;

pressure cooker: greater moisture, better break down of the connective tissues creating a more tender meat, however your veg. will suffer from being over cooked as will the base of the stew will absorb impurities and off flavors of the meat and veg. also by being thin and flavor less without the addition of a thickening agent and more herbs.

on the stove: it will take much longer but the flavor development will be far superior yet the meat still might have a little less than fall apart texture but I like a little "chew". also more work skimming.

pro tip: use lots of scrap veg durring the long cooking process and discard and add the real veg. for the stew with 20 min left of cook time, along with a brown roux with a touch of corn starch.

You know it's not 1950 right? We don't have to make stews anymore. We have supermarkets with tons of ingredients that allow you to create meals that taste good

>is dis nigga srs?

>implying good stew doesn't taste good.

you probably have never had good stew. you should try making it sometime.

Cube up your beef if it didn't already come cubed. Dredge with flour and brown it. I use a separate pan for this. When it's all seared off, set it aside and deglaze your pan whatever you want. I like brandy, but you can use stock or whatever. Don't use a ton because this isn't the main liquid component of the stew. After you've got all the fond off the bottom of your pan, transfer the meat and liquid to the dutch oven.

Go back to your pan and then saute some carrot and onion until they're sort of translucent. Throw in some tomato puree cook it a little more. I like my stew pretty basic, so I usually just stick with carrot and onion, but you can add celery or potatoes or other root vegetables.

Add your veg to the meat in the dutch oven and then dump in a whole bottle of you favorite red wine. Add a bay leaf and whatever other herbs you like then stick it in the oven for a few hours at 325.

Also I should note that my dutch oven is one of those enamel ones, so the acidity from the tomato paste and the wine doesn't really matter. If you don't have an enamel one, you could use beef stock instead of wine. It'll taste different, but it'll still be good.

WHOA fggt.....

I can't even believe that you're suggesting that mother fucking stew isn't "good"? Are you some kind of hippy-ass green raw food diet faggot that doesn't understand stew is the food of the gods. Ya, ok maybe the over nine thousand stared tire company joints don't serve it but that's because they are too busy putting their dicks on the plate.

>if it didn't already come cubed

are you fucking kidding me? Who in their right mind would buy that shit pre-cubed meat from some hack in the supermarket that just bags up his random fuckups and sell them for more than the full joint cuts?

I have an all-clad d5 stainless steel dutch oven, so I'm set for the acidity.

I usually do a dark brown beer (shedd's mountain ale here in vermont) and a shot or two of jack daniel's instead of wine and no tomato puree. I guess you do it more italian/french style and I go more irish style. i'll try your way next time, maybe tonight. do you use beef chuck? or some other kind of beef?

they don't do that at my supermarket. they precut the same cuts of chuck that they sell in the case or over the counter, you can ask them to do it right there if youre buying it over the counter, and they sell it for the same price per pound as the uncut chuck.

Yeah, usually chuck.

Goddamn it. It's summer time and OP has me wanting stew now. It's 90 fucking degrees outside and nothing seems finer than a delicious, piping hot bowl of stew.

>all-clad d5 stainless steel dutch oven

if it's not cast iron, it's not a dutch oven, you have a overpriced stock pot.

right well it still works like a dutch oven and I don't give a shit about price. I'm not about to put a cast iron pan on my glasstop stove.

>glasstop stove.

lol....OH god...wat.

>I don't give a shit about price

then get a fucking gas stove.

I don't have the hookup for that shit, I live in the mountains.

>I live in the mountains

what mountains are those, the faggot peaks? If your budget was unlimited as you say just run line up there or truck in your own gas.

I didn't say it was unlimited. I don't care about paying $250 for an american made pan that suits my purpose. I'm not paying tens of thousands of dollars and trying to get approval to run a gas line up to me just so I can have a gas stove, idiot.

I already said what mountains in the first post your childish ass responded to.

>I didn't say it was unlimited
You clearly said "I don't give a shit about price" which has the same meaning.

now that you have reveled yourself to be a broke mountian hill billy, you might want to consider porpane or the poormans gas.

>I already said what mountains in the first pos

sorry, tldr. no one gives a shit about your long winded posts.

go back to spamming goza, moran.

oooOOOoo, big spender can't aford a propane tank, why don't you go cry about it on you glass cook top.

>not using s&p on beef before dredging in flour
>not using 1 metric fuckton of garlic
>dumping in an entire bottle of red wine and making shitty beef bourguignon instead of fucking beef stew
>not deglazing with stout
>not covering in beef stock to cook
>no peas
>not waiting until last hour or two to add carrots so you aren't eating orange mush

you have much to learn child.

do you always make your own beef stock or is there a good store bought one to save time? I want beef stew NOW and I obviously don't have the time to make stock...

the difference in taste isn't really noticeable, I stopped going through the trouble long ago. Anyone that claims otherwise is a pretentious cunt. The benefits don't outweigh the work for me at least.

any brand recommendations? Im going to the store right now to get the stuff

Just grab whatever, just make sure it isn't that low sodium healthy crap or straight knock-off.

I always keep some of the Kitchen Basics unsalted beef and chicken stock in my pantry for when I want to make something quick.

Home made stock generally tastes better but I don't always have it around so store bought works fine for pretty much everything. Sometimes I'll add some beef or chicken base to it as well to add some more flavor since store bought stock tends to be kind of watery.

Not a cunt here, but homemade tastes way better if you do it right. I love making mine way thicker so it turns to a gel when chilled. Bonus its not 75% salt.

are you implying 75% salt is not ok?

i got this kind. I'll make it tomorrow, don't have time tonight.

>the benefits don't outweigh the work
nigga how you making stock that's so much work, you rough chop some veggies, throw them in a pot with your beeg trimmings/bones add water and let it do it's thing, it's not like you gotta sit there and baby it. seriously stock is fucking easy

>organic
what'd you pay for that, five bucks?

three.

I wasn't the one that said that. I wanted to make stew tonight, I don't have time to make stock from scratch.

ya could've probably gotten store brand for like sixty five cents bruh

sorry, quoted the wrong post, I understand the time thing, but it just make me go wut when someone says stock is work

they don't have store brand, I went to a coop.

>ooh lookit me, I'm upper middle class

more like the coop is down the street, the big grocery is 15 minutes away.

I am a gastroenterologist, though.

>Ohh, look at me. I have enough data left on my cricket wireless prepaid data plan to shit post

yep

>base of the stew will absorb impurities and off flavors of the meat and veg

This needs to be emphasized. Unless you have a garbage palate you should Always Be Skimming when simmering anything. Nasty foam needs to be removed or else it makes a great stew into a good stew at best.

Also don't boil it. High heat causes meat to seize up and it doesn't become as tender and generally hurts the end textures. Never go past small, slow-ish bubbling. Stew boiled is stew spoiled.