Rice and beans on a Budget

Well, I'm broke as fuck, drinking, and hungry. 'Sup Veeky Forums. I see a lot of threads about budget cooking, so here we go. The best rice and beans you'll ever make for cheap.

All you need is:
1 cup rice
1 can black beans
2 cloves garlic
1 small onion
2-3 spoonfuls of sofrito
1 1/3 c water
1/ 2 cup ham or any leftover meat you want to throw in
Chili powder, oregano, cumin

Also, either oil or bacon grease. You can use either but I prefer bacon grease. It adds great flavor

I thought that the onions and garlic make the sofrito. I family always made their own; I didn't know it was sold in stores.

A sofrito is simply a mirepoix cooked in oil stead of butter.

I usually make my own with onions, garlic, and red/green bell pepper.

But, I ran out and haven't made more. I like to keep the Goya frozen sofrito on hand in case of times like these. They also make one in a jar but it sucks ass. The frozen sofrito is passable in case of emergency.

First thing you should do before you start cooking: Rinse your rice!

Put it in a bowl, add water, play with it with your hand, and rinse, just get rid of as much starch as you can. I'll do 5-6 findings.

Get your onion and 2 cloves garlic ready

>garlic
>onions
>chili powder
>oregano
>cumin
Whoa there, big spender.

Mince the onion and garlic.

Did you not read the title of this cookalong? This is BUDGET COOKING. For broke fucks.

Are you fucking tarded or just a goddamn mongoloid?

>rinse, just get rid of as much starch as you can

What a joke. No reason to even cook nor eat it, now.

Are you too dense to get that he's saying it's not REALLY broke cooking unless you're so broke you can't afford spices?

Seriously? In my own experience rinsed rice cooks better and evenly. Unrinsed is usually mushy.

Who the fuck are you retard????? don't ever reply to my posts again or I'll fuck you're shit up

>canned beans
>cheap
lol
they're like $1 per and that's yield from 5oz dry. it's like paying $3/lb for dry beans when dry beans cost less than half that.

dinner tomorrow will be lentil fried rice. total cost: 45c per serving, 37c if i use plain salt instead of bouillon cube. 22c if i don't make a recaĆ­to.

your dinner: $1.57 per serving
that's 'spensive, my presumably mocha-tinted amigo.

Mushy rice has more to do with the cook's ability to control moisture than anything else. You can get a rice cooker if you have such a problem doing it on your own (a cheap way is to cover the bottom of the pot lid with a cloth and put the lid on the pot, but this can dirty cloths.

Personally, my favorite way to do it is to fry the rice lightly for a little while then boil it.

Either way, washing rice so much (5-6 times? Really?) just ruins the richness of the rice, rendering it into tasteless "food pellets" that serve no real purpose in eating. Also, many rice manufacturers enrich their rice with nutrients and vitamins, which you're just washing away.

Where I'm from? A can of beans is 59 cents. Plus I keep a bunch in the pantry for rough times like now. I know dried is better, but I'm hungry and work all day and don't have time for it now.

>garlic
1c per clove if you buy a sleeve of five heads for $1
>onions
$1.49/3lbs, a small one weighs just under a quarter pound, about 10c
>chili powder
>oregano
>cumin
2-3c each
total "additional" cost: 21c
you can find that in your couch cushions

aromatics and spices are the best way to add a lot of deliciousness on the cheap

>a cheap way is to cover the bottom of the pot lid with a cloth and put the lid on the pot, but this can dirty cloths.

Also, a restaurant I worked at would do the same thing with newspapers, so that's another method. I don't know what kind of issue this causes with newspaper ink, but the owner didn't give a shit and was a real cheap fucker, too. So, that's a method as well.

Welp, lets go on. Add a big spoonful of bacon grease, or oil of your choice. You want enough to liberally coat the bottom of the pan. More than enough so you don't have to spread it around. So, a good amount.

That pan looks sad

Add your onion, let it cook for a minute or two.

Add some sofrito, along with your garlic.

Sautee that shit.

Now mix in your nicely rinsed rice

Nice thread I will use this recipe possibly

I just remembered I had some leftover spiral sliced ham in the freezer. Sliced off some piece.

Cut this shit up, adding it to the mixture here.

>Welp

Fucking hell goddamnit.

Love your post Op, keep coming

You are completely wrong. Sofrito is a cooking based used widely in Puerto Rican foods. It consists of recao, garlic, ajies pepper, green bell pepper, cilantro, and possibly onion if you want to put it in there. Source: my Abuela.

>chop some aromatics and vegetables
>should probably include onion
>saute
Shut up, autist. It's just a mirepoix for the spic palate.

Still paying off those culinary school loans, breh?

I'm sure I'll be paying off someone's culinary school loans soon, but not mine.

Mix the ham in to the rice.

Now we'll add our spices. I usually don't really measure them. about 1 1/2 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp oregano, and 1 tsp cumin. Also maybe 1/2 tsp of black pepper.

Last, mix in the drained beans.

nice one OP.

ITT: fuckheads crying over how someone else cooks food they will never eat

shut the fuck up and let OP cook his damn dinner

>beans
nice
It's a chilli now

I don't think I said when to add the water. But I guess any time will do really. Here is all the ingredients simmering.

Now we'll lower the heat and cover. Let it all cook for about 20-30 minutes.

Who doesn't already own spices? It's a cheap addition because it's spread over many meals.
Do you just but all the ingredients needed for a meal every time you make the meal? That's a lot of waste.

>Wut

This is rice and beans, silly. Beans are one of the two main ingredients.

>Beans are one of the two main ingredients.
in every chilli

except it doesn't have any chilies in it.

Disregard spergs, there are actually people here who think it's cost effective to stand over a stove and burn gas for 11 hours a day to save 50 cents on ingredients

>Has to eat from a fucking can because "muh work"

haha wagecuck life must really suck.

did you forget about pressure cookers?

Done.

Serve with your favorite hot sauce. Also makes a good burrito filling. Either way, you've got some good food to last a couple days.

Looks good but Mayan XXX is better hot sauce

I recognize that logo on the can of beans. Is that a Giant, a Martins, or a Stop and Shop?

I make something very similar.

Rice
Black beans
Broccoli
Chicken
Cheese
Hot sauce

Obviously you can take ingredients out depending on how poor you are.